Chapter 4 – His new work
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

06:31 in the morning:

Hitomu dreamed of the void with a warm feeling again, so he woke up feeling rather happy and more energetic, especially because he was excited for the new job.

He got up from bed went downstairs and made some coffee for himself, then proceeded to drink said coffee with bread from yesterday. After he finished with the small breakfast he proceeded to clean himself in the bathroom on the ground floor, and after a warm shower he went upstairs to put on some decent clothes, he chose classic black shoes, beige pants, gray waistcoat and a black suit on top, and finally a short top hat. After putting some elegant clothes, he took his pocket watch from a drawer in the desk at the corner of the room along 2 iron coins and 10 copper coins.

He was not in a hurry when doing his morning activities, but to not be late to his first day of work, he took a look at the pocket watch and was relieved, because it was still 07:02, so he still had plenty of time.

He went out to work on foot because despite living in east borough, he lived in the border close to central borough so he had a tranquil travel through the streets he was quite familiar because of his memories of the neighborhood.

He arrived at the building that was combined with the special cases officers, it was a big gray building 3 floors tall, he proceeded to enter through the big double glass doors and he immediately saw a reception room and a woman reading a book, siting behind a wooden desk at the center of the room opposite to the doors.

Hitomu went to the woman, and as he approached, the woman stopped reading and looked up to see who he was and said:

"Welcome to the central department of special cases, what i can do for you sir?"

Hitomu responded with a simple: "I'm Steve Holmes, i would be starting to work here as a historian and consultant, it was combined for me to be starting at 08:30 but..." He took his pocket watch and looked at the time, it was still 08:10 so he put it back and continued: "It appears that i arrived earlier" 

She spoke: "Steve Holmes? I was indeed informed that somebody would be coming here at 08:30, i will be informing the chief of your arrival"

She used something similar to a dial telephone that was on the desk and inserted a specific number on it, after a moment somebody at the side answered and with bit of talking she put it back and said to Hitomu:

"Wait for just moment, the officer Carlos is coming down to talk with you, you can sit in the sofa and read some magazines or newspapers while you wait for him, if you want." She was pointing towards the sofa close to the right wall with a small desk in front facing the sofa, the desk had some magazines and newspapers of the last week but Hitomu decided to just wait on the sofa quietly. 

After a few minutes, he saw the officer Carlos walk downstairs from a floor above, this time he was wearing black pants, a white shirt and a black waistcoat bellow a black suit. Carlos proceeded to go towards Hitomu, and when was close to the sofa he extended his hand to Hitomu and he got up and shakes hands with Carlos, that proceeded to say while smiling:

"Welcome to our department, i can already see that we will have a pleasant time working with you."   

"Let's leave those pleasantries aside, for now, let's start with a little tour of our department. The first thing you can notice on the first floor is the reception room, that door to the right leads to the break room and to the kitchen, the door  to the left of the stairs leads to the locker room and the armory, in the corner there are the stair that lead to the second floor, where is the space for our main personal and the chief's office, above that in the third floor are where the recent or active case files are stored and where or finance personal are, and is the place where you will go to receive your salary at the end of every last shift of the week, or if you prefer it can be at the end of the month. And finally the first basement where you will be working."Carlos initially said while pointing to the stuff around on the first floor, and lastly said while pointing to the stair that led downstairs that was side by side withe the stairs that led upstairs.

Carlos proceeded to lead Hitomu to the first basement and when they reached it, Hitomu saw a somewhat spacious corridor that had a few doors leading to rooms with plaques above them and one at the end that had a guard by the side, behind the stairs the corridor still extended a bit with a door at the end and a plaque written "First level library" atop the door. When they arrived here Carlos continued to explain:

"In this floor we have the laboratories, a workshop, morgue, the library where we also store some cases files and offices for our specialists, including one for you, our history specialist, as you can see, to our left we have the laboratories, workshop, morgue and others alike, and to our right we have mainly the specialists work rooms, yours is the one closest to the stairs but before you start..."

"Here's your ID card, you need to insert it on that machine in the wall, it will mark the time you started work and you also need to insert it to mark the time you leave work for when you go eat something or when you finish the work for the day. For the first days you will be only getting familiar with our work, personal and most importantly, with our books, you main objective for the first week is to learn as much as possible about the contents of our books to give advices to us when needed, and if necessary, you can go to the chief and make a request to access the lower levels of the library, but i advice that you just wait for a promotion instead."After Hitomu went and used the ID card on the machine, Carlos went to the door closest to stairs with a plaque written "history/languages" and opened the wooden door pointing for "Steve" to enter.

When Hitomu entered his new work room, he found that outside the fact that it was not small, it was rather common, with a few cabinets, drawers, bookshelves and a desk facing the door at the middle with some tools such a ink bottle, a fountain pen and a stack of blank papers. But Hitomu also noticed that the room was pretty much empty except for the furniture, and when he was going to ask Carlos as to why it was empty despite just a week ago Wagner grant was working here, Carlos spoke before Hitomu could open his mouth:

"if you want use the library just enter the door behind the stairs with the plaque written 'First level library', and if you are wondering why your room is rather empty, it is because we did some cleaning in here, and something you need to take note is that every 'main' member of the special cases department knows at least a bit of each subject outside of their main area of work, but when we need in depth knowledge, we have specialists for that, so i hope we have a nice time working together. By the way, your shift end at 17:20, good luck." Carlos changed the subject all of sudden and left, going upstairs.

Hitomu closed the office door behind him and went to the library as hinted by Carlos, he entered the first level library and said "hi" to the librarian that was sitting behind a counter to the right of the entrance door, the room was spacious but to the left two thirds of the library with books and one third of the library to the right with various files, and of course, there was some single seaters and desks to read what you came for, and by the information he got from the librarian, those with the right clearance can come and read the books and files freely inside of the library, but to take them outside of the library, is needed to sign and leave your name with the librarian and the time you take the book is also written down the same for when you return it, and if you want a copy of a book you have to make a request to the chief, so to not complicate things out Hitomu decided to only read the books related to story that he can for the day.

Hitomu asked the librarian: "Excuse me sir, where are the history books and the books related to languages?"

"History is the third bookshelf from left to right and languages is on the one behind history." Said the old librarian.

"Thank you" Hitomu proceeded to go for said bookshelves, starting with history because the memories he got from Caterine University were fragmented or missing some parts, so he was planning to catch up on his studies. Hitomu did not read word by word of the books, instead, he scanned the contents of a book, entered the starry void, absorbed the contents of the book using his powers over that space, got back and repeated while taking a rest between 13 books or so, because it was mentally exhausting to absorb a lot of data so fast. He repeated this process for most of the history bookshelf and for half of the languages one. 

Hitomu was enjoying himself quite a bit while learning new interesting things, but when he pulled his pocket watch he got a surprise because was already 17:46, so he finished the last book for today, marked his end of shift on the machine, then went to the reception room on the first floor and said goodbye to the receptionist, but before going home he went to the fair close by and brought home a bag of grains called "risos" that are basically slightly orange rice, it was only 1 iron coin per kilo because it is often used to feed cattle or horses. After he got home, he made cooked enough of risos for the next few days, after he ate a plate of risos and stored the rest in the fridge, he made some sunflower tea that in this world was similar to earth's one but the middle also is yellow most of the time and their tea tastes like a weak sweet honey despite having close to zero sugars.

When he was relaxing while drinking tea in the sofa he went inside the starry void and revised the contents he learned today and to make things simpler he separated books from earth and this world books, as an example, he had two bookshelves for history, one for earth's history and one for this world's history, and this pattern extended for all the subjects in his mansion library, after he revised what he had learned, he went back "outside" and finished his tea, then as usual, he cleaned himself, went upstairs, changed to clothes more comfortable ones and went to sleep.

...

Thursday, 17:30 : 

The last few days were very repetitive with nothing worth mentioning except that Hitomu explored and learned other subjects outside of history and languages, nothing that extraordinary, just stuff about introductory concepts of mechanics, chemical knowledge, basic care for weapons and similar subjects, but on Thursday James went searching for Hitomu in his office, and when he was not found there, James went to the library, and as expected Hitomu was there, finishing to read a thick book titled "Cultures around the world", James proceeded to approach him and say:

"Hello mr. Steve, the chief wants to speak with you in his office, before you end your shift"

Hitomu put the book back on the bookshelf, marked his shift end and followed James to the chief's office on the second floor where was a dozen cubicles and rooms at the end, James guided Hitomu to the door of the one at the middle and knocked on the door, waited for a response then gestured for him to enter.

When Hitomu entered the chief office, he saw a woman seated behind a desk with documents and a cup of what appears to be tea, she was wearing a suit like the other personal of the department but he could easily see the very defined muscles bellow the suit, the second thing he noticed was that she had silver hair and had a pair of sharp silver eyes, the third thing he noticed was that despite being seated, he could tell that she was very tall, but he did not let any of his interest be visible. She spoke after a moment:

"Hello Steve, have a seat." Hitomu sat on the chair facing chief's desk that the chief had pointed out, and he noticed a single document in facing him at the  border of the desk. After Hitomu was seated the chief continued:

 "From what we have observed from you at work, we would like to offer you a type of promotion, your work would not change much, except that you would need to learn new areas of study outside history and linguistics, and exactly these other subjects that we are in most need, this offer is based not only on your grades history, but also on the speed that you absorbs knowledge, and in this line of work we are always welcome with open arms the bright minds" After a pause she continued speaking:

"Before you think it is not worth it, let me say that if you accept, you will receive lessons from our other specialists on the subjects mentioned before, you will be able to choose a path that will change your life, access to the second level of the library and obviously a slight increase on your salary, but most of what you will encounter is confidential so no talking to outsiders about them, unless they already know of it, if you want to accept just sign the contract in front of you, and if you don't want to give a response today, you have until next Thursday."

"I accept the offer." Hitomu borrowed a fountain pen from the chief and signed the contract without hesitation.

"A good choice, from what we saw, you read most of the books on the first level, so we will be starting the lessons tomorrow, and give me your ID card so i can upgrade it's rank, tomorrow when you arrive here, pass by my office and retrieve your ID card" She said as Hitomu gave his ID card to her. After they said goodbye to each other, Hitomu went home as usual.

While at home, Hitomu changed to comfortable clothes and laid on bed, instead of sleeping he went inside the starry void and was planning on trying to "invite" another person here, so he did, this time he choose a small red star with a hint of purple, and after making a connection with the star he again felt his energy drain and the star started to glow more and to take a humanoid shape, but something was slightly different from last time, it had a tail?

...

 

1