Chapter 27
979 10 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After changing back into my original clothes and gathering up the things I wanted, we headed up to the counter to pay. At the insistence of the two active members of the guard, we picked up a couple of sports bras on the way. They were insistent that I would thank them after my training.

Setting the clothes on the counter, I awkwardly took Asra's hand. We had been avoiding each other's eyes since I came back out of the changing room. Things between Asra and me have changed quite a lot. For one, we were touching a lot more. I was almost constantly either holding her hand or sitting in her lap.

Surprisingly, I didn't hate it. August hated being touched. It made him think about his body too much.

Even with how much I didn't hate it, something still felt off. It almost felt as if she was holding back. Maybe Asra and I should have a talk about all the touching.

Side note: I had just noticed that I had been thinking of August and myself as different people. He was just so foreign, so anathema to myself, that I couldn't think of him as me. I wasn't even that different; it hadn't even been two full days, yet August felt so far away from me. That didn't sound healthy.

Clarintha's voice broke me from my thoughts. "Alright, that will be 583 crowns." The price surprised me a bit. I had expected it all to cost 200 to 300 crowns. Were dresses really that expensive?

"You can send the bill to the temple of Eluna." Mother said, showing Clarintha her necklaces and taking the bag she had put the clothes in. I was about to tell her I could pay for it myself, but she stopped me. "It's the least I can do. I have 12 years of birthdays to make up for, don't I."

"Fine." I wanted to say more, but I couldn't argue with her reasoning.

"Alright then, is there anything else I can do for you ladies?" Clarintha asked with a clap of her hands. After receiving a series of shaken heads, she continued. "Wonderful. Now that bag has a temporary enchantment on it, so I would recommend getting everything out of it in the next 4 hours if you don't want it to explode." Before I could start asking about the possibly exploding bag, I was dragged out of the shop.

Returning home, I was sent inside to put away my new clothes and get changes. After putting the clothes away in my nearly empty closet, I changed into a tank top, shorts, and a sports bra. Then I slipped my adventuring boots back on and headed out to the garden to meet Asra and Mom.

Stepping into the overgrown garden, I felt regretful. I really wish I had taken better care of it. Hannah had spent so much time making the place into a fey garden out of a storybook, and I had neglected it. If tomorrow goes well, I think I spend some time working in the garden.

"Alright, first up, you need to be able to take the weapon form. Have you tried to shift yet?" Mother asked, jolting me from my thoughts.

With a shake of my head, she continued. "Now, we Demon Blades can have a bit of trouble shifting at first, much like how a Living Blade can have trouble holding a humanoid shape when they are young. Because we've spent so much time in a humanoid shape, our souls become used to it, and it becomes our default state."

It made sense. I had seen some of my daughters struggle with holding a humanoid form when they were young. Every time, with enough practice, they would master it. Becoming just as at home in their humanoid and weapon forms.

"All you have to do is envision your weapon form, grab onto it, and realize you are the weapon." Mother explained

That seemed too simple. She said it was supposed to be hard, right? So I tried...

And tried...

And tried...

Over an hour later, I dropped onto the ground with a loud sigh. "I don't get it. Why isn't it working?" I said to no one in particular.

"I told you it wasn't easy. Just take your time. It's not something you can rush." Mother said calmly.

"I know. I know. it's just frustrating." I told her

Dropping down beside me, Asra took my hand in hers and leaned into my side. "Hey, you're doing great. How about you try one more time, and then I'll talk Eliza into moving on to something else." her voice was so soft and warm I wanted to snuggle up in it like a blanket.

"Okay." I said, trying on the last time. As I reached out to the blade in my mind, I felt a vortex of energy start to form around it. It radiated unimaginable heat stronger than the hottest forge.

"Owww!" my focus was broken by Asra's exclamation of pain. Turning to her, I saw her boot flung 10 feet away, a white-hot bodkin lying in the grass. Finally, my eyes landed on her leg, settling on the bodkin-shaped burn on her outer calf.

Mother rushed over to Asra and cast a healing spell on her leg. Feeling guilty, I tried to pull away, but it only caused her to grip my hand tighter. Seeing Mother step away from Asra, I looked down at her leg. The burn was healed, but the mark was still there. That was not normal when healing magic was involved.

"What is that?" Mother asked with a sense of urgency in her voice, pointing at the bodkin.

"The voice in my head told me to burn my body, and that was in the ashes," I explained, only realizing how it sounded as I said it aloud.

"That!" Mother said, pointing at the cooling blade. "That is the kind of thing you should have told me about."

"Sorry, I kind of forgot." I told her bashfully, only to get one of those looks only a mother can give.

 

Hello, everyone. Sorry for the shorter chapter today. The poll on chapter 25 was really neck and neck for a while, but it looks like one longer chapter has won out. As such, there won't be a chapter this Friday as I prepare for a longer chapter next Tuesday. My goal for it is 3000 words. Depending on how it turns out, I might continue with one chapter a week or switch back to two. We should finally be meeting Princess Raya next chapter, so I hope you're ready. Thank you for reading, commenting, and favoriting. Have a nice day.

63