Chapter 5
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I struggle to open my eyes, and I start to make out my surroundings. I'm laying down on a cold black stone floor, I get up and look around I'm in a massive stone circled room made from obsidian with a door on the far side from me on one end and on the other what looks to be a sacrificial alter demon statues line the walls. Depicting some of the most gruesome monster's id ever seen.

I hear swords clanging and tearing into flesh over by the door, I look over and see a woman

carrying a pirate tipped spear battling her way through a small group of demons.

I hear movement from the other side of the room, and I notice someone chained to an alter a

bag over their head. I see a demon come from the other side of the room caring a leather-bound book, and a crude looking dagger. He opens up the book and begins to read out lowed the language I cannot understand it is unnatural.

Augh!

I turn to the door to see Elizabeth clutching her arm blood dripping between her fingers, she

faced a demon with a women's upper body, but her lower half was a spider, it had sharp fangs and

wielded two daggers that are dripping green liquid.

Elizabeth jumps to the side to avoid another swipe of its blade then thrust her spear through the demon's head. Just as the tip was about to connect to the skull, A demon with unnaturally long limbs with the head of a wolfs skull lifted what looked like an oversized metal baseball bat. Ready to swipe at Elizabeth from behind.

I try to yell out to her, but I can't make a sound I watch in horror as the metal club collides with her side with a mighty Crack.

Elizabeth flies across the room into the wall, dust and rubble fly from where

she impacted. I struggle to try and move to her aid, but I'm frozen in place. I can only look at the scene in my despair unable to move or make a sound. The demon at the alters' chant grows lowder. It raises the knife in the air and its blade catches fire.

"NO!" Elizabeth screams as she launches forward cutting through demons with the ferocity of a Viking berserker. One demon got a lucky shot and slashed her thigh.

Ugh

Elizabeth raised her hand, and an icicle flew from her palm and through the demon's head. She charged forward but the demon stabbed into the sacrifice before Elizabeth could get to the alter. An invisible force knocked her 30 feet back, across the room smashing into the wall next to the door.

A shadow started to form over the sacrifice as if devouring it, the sacrifices corps began to float in the air, the black smoke engulfing it starting to take form into a massive smoke covered figure, I can only make out a horrifying smile.

"Your kind have controlled the world long enough." The figure said as it motioned with its hand. Elizabeth started to float into the air, he motioned his hand again and she shot across the room until she was only a few feet from his face.

"Now go tell your leaders their time has come." With a flick of his hand Elizabeth gets launched across the room and out the door.

A smile formed in the shadow as it looked in my direction. "Now what to do with you." It begins to walk towards me. I struggle harder and harder to move to break whatever is holding me in place, but just before he could reach me, I wake up.

My eyes open and I'm in what seems to be a hospital bed with a few machines hooked up to me to monitor my heart rate and a few other things I didn't recognize. Cards and flowers where on the table in my room they read get well soon and other generic cards for someone in the hospital would say. After a few seconds I noticed someone in a chair in the corner reading a newspaper.

"Uhm excuse me, mind telling me where I am?" I asked him.

He lowered the paper, and I realized it was Mr. Griffon. "Well, you're in the hospital wing of the main building on campus, I'm afraid you got attacked. By a witch at the party, you decided to go to." He said with a nonchalant expression like it was common.

"Yah last night must have gotten out of hand." I joked.

His eyes narrowed "I'm sorry to say Mr. Nielson but you've been in a coma for 2 weeks."

A chill ran down my spine.

"Well thirteen days to be exact I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but Dean Evandar wanted to speak to you as soon as you woke up. I will send him here." Before I could protest, he raised his hand snapped his finger and disappeared.

I wish they would stop doing that, I thought to myself. I sat in silence for a few seconds, and

then the dean appeared sitting in the same chair as Mr. Griffon was sitting, he had been finishing off a powdered donut.

He gave me a smile "good morning Mr. Neilson."

I Open my mouth to speak but before I can he holds up his finger.

"Let me start with that what happened to you shouldn't have been possible, somehow an enemy made it around our protection wards, are staff has been working around the clock making sure they are all enhanced to make sure it does not happen again." He paused and took a shaky breath.

"Ms. Marandi told me about your dreams, I have contacted the other headmasters and other powerful members we have decided to hold a meeting before winter break, to discuss what they could mean." His expression turned to mournful.

"I'm sorry I didn't give you the time, to explain what was happening when you first arrived."

"It's ok" I told him.

"Well, I suppose I should give you the official introduction on the school now." The dean stated.

I listened closely.

"Let me start with what you are. You are a Bellator." The dean said in a stern voice.

"I've heard that name before in my dreams what does it mean?" I asked

He smiled "it is Latin for Warrior; over the years we have been called many things from heroes to demigods. each different faction in parts of the world taking a name for themselves. However once we decided to join forces, we took the name Bellator." He waved his hand and a

fresh cup of coffee appeared. He took a sip.

"Every legend you heard about where a great hero defeated a monster, is about a Bellator." He continued.

"But what is a Bellator?" I interrupted

"A Bellator is the missing link between humans and gods the real name is lost to time. We are stronger, faster and more durable than any man, and can use magic, but we are not immortal like the gods and their magic is much greater, and your blood just like mine and all the other Bellator's have the blood of the original race of this missing link running through our veins." He said wiping the coffee from his lips.

"Now when you say gods what exactly do you mean?" I asked.

His eyes grew large "Now that is a great question. We have discovered over the years that,

almost every one of the gods do exist, and humanity is divided up."

"So where do we go when we die?" I asked it sounded like a loaded question.

The Dean smiled, "That is another great question. As for where from what we've found

and been told, that whatever religion someone believes in that is where they are sent."

I must have had a noticeably confused look on my face. Because the Dean began to speak again.

"I know it's confusing but it's the reality of this world." He finished.

"What do you mean you've been told can we talk to the gods?" I asked

"Not exactly." The dean said, "you'll find out your first day during your electio and that is all I

can say on that matter."

"Now, a Bellator is meant to protect to defend the world for the demonic forces and prevent the end of the world. Here at Taurus university we train the next Bellator's to work for the schools or any of the other jobs you may want in our society, or get a degree in what you would prefer, if you don't want to risk your life."

"How many other schools are there?" I asked

"Right now, officially 125 located across the world 4 of which are in the US." He stated.

"Ok." I try and wrap my mind around everything he's told me it sounds like madness, but from

everything I've seen its not the craziest explanation.

"Our school was founded in the name of a great highland warrior who saved the world over 700 years ago. He is one of my ancestors?" the dean said proudly.

"Your Scottish" I said trying to hold back laughter. "No offense sir but you look nothing like

someone from Scotland."

He chuckled "Well no I was born and raised in Detroit; my family is just descended from the

hero himself."

"Ok last question what are my parents going to think, they wont exactly be on board for this

whole fighting demon's thing." I said half-jokingly

"Your parents believe you have enrolled here with a promise of a high paying job at a successful corporation upon graduation. They will be here at the beginning of the third week of classes for family day, so keep your dorm clean." He chuckled.

A few moments passed and he looked at the watch on his wrist.

"Look at the time I must be off, besides your friends should be here any minute, I best be off"

As if on que the door slammed open and Elizabeth, Lexia, Aaron, and Nox ran in. I look to see

the Dean, but he vanished.

Oof

Elizabeth leaps on top of me almost knocking the wind out of me.

"Oh my god lance thank god your awake." Elizabeth said holding back tears.

"Hey I'm ok now." I said trying to reassure her.

She took a step back. And Aaron walked forward.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't fast enough. But hey you can officially say you survived a demon attack.'

He laughed nervously.

"More than one." I laughed.

Nox walked over and gave me a firm hug I felt like I was getting squeezed to death.

"We were so worried we all took shifts watching over you so wed be here when you woke up."

She said finally letting go.

Lexia stepped forward "I'm not a fan of most people, but I'm glad you're ok."

I nodded to her, they began to tell me about how the past few weeks have gone, Elizabeth told them all about my dreams, and they began doing their own research using the books that they had at the club house. They discovered I wasn't the first student to have visions, and it usually led up to major events.

"We will have to wait for the 2nd week of school to start so we can access the library and get some more information." Aaron said.

"Why can't we just go now. I could just break in?" Lexia asked

"Because There is a protective ward over the library if you enter now, you'll be discovered as soon as you step one foot in there." Nox said so Aaron didn't have to.

"Fine..." Lexia sighed.

"Anyway, what would you like to do now that your awake? Its already late in the day." Said

Elizabeth.

"I know its bad timing, but being the day before orientation we are having another party, how about a pick me up made by yours truly?" offered Aaron pointing at himself.

The last thing I wanted to do right now was have another party, I wanted to go to my room order a giant pizza and binge watch a show, or a movie trilogy. I cave in the second I look at them they all look so excited; ugh rest can wait.

"Yeah, that sounds like fun, but I'm definitely going to have to go shower and change." I must

learn to stand up for what I want I think to myself.

After a few more stories about the times, I missed the doctor came in said I should be fine to head out as soon as he cast a healing spell so I regain whatever muscle mass I might have lost. I can't believe this is all really happening.

A few hours later I was back in my dorm, and I noticed I wasn't alone someone was sitting on the couch in the living room. He had a black buzzcut, a slim black zip up hoodie, cargo shorts, and black skateboarding shoes.

"Hey, you must be Lance." He smiled and held out his hand. "I'm Jordan, Winters its nice to

finally meet you." He gave a friendly smile.

I extended my arm and shook his hand "Its nice to meet you too dude." We talked about our interest like what games we liked, movies, shows, stuff we like to do for fun, and it turns out we share a lot of interest like our love of horror movies and strategy video games.

He asked me why I was here earlier than normal like him, I decided to tell him the story of how me and Elizabeth's' road trip skipping over a few details for the sake of time, I had a party to get ready for after all.

"Dude that sounds like a crazy time, I met Elizabeth the other day she's pretty cool." Jordan said chuckling.

I nodded "Yah she's great, so why did you come early what's your story?" I asked

"Oh, I decided to, you see both my parents' families have been Bellator's for centuries. The fact is my parents, my 3 older brothers and 2 of my three older sisters are out on missions, fighting demons."

He sighed.

"Your entire family has been doing this for centuries?" I asked in amazement.

He looked confused then it looked like a lightbulb went off in his head. "Oh, you're new to this,

aren't you?" he asked

I looked at him confused

"Oh, right you wouldn't even know. there are actually a lot of us we live amongst regular people, and there are definitely a lot of families who keep the tradition alive however some decide to leave the dangerous life for a peaceful one, must have happened in your family at some point." He took a deep breath.

"We'll have an entire classes on everything you don't know." He gave me a happy go lucky smile.

I let out a chuckle and looked at my watch.

"Well, I have to get ready for a party tonight, so ill talk to yah soon." I said walking to my room.

"At the bellum club house?" he called out.

I turned around "Yah you are going too?"

"Yah my sister is the vice-captain of the Bellum team. I'll be heading over now."

"Why not wait for me you can head over with me Elizabeth and Lexia."

"Sure, sounds good, better than going alone." He said turning back to watch the tv.

After a little bit I was showered and ready to get dressed a decided to go with a red sweater and blue jeans, with my red sneakers. I leave my room and see Jordan waiting for me with Elizabeth, lexia and a third girl with long brown hair a few freckles on her face she was wearing a blue long sleeve shirt, torn jeans, and a pair of black running shoes running shoes. As I walk up Elizabeth calls out.

"Lance this is Jean, Rodes our new roommate." She said pushing the poor girl forward.

She blushed for some reason and spoke in a soothing tone "Hi Lance nice to meet you heard so

much about you. What's your favorite scary movie?" she asked.

An awkward silence fell over the group.

"Sorry, that's probably not a great question to ask with everything that happened to you, but

Elizabeth said you like horror movies and I really like them, so I figured wed have something in

common." She said quickly

no definitely not a good question in any situation i thought to myself.

Lexia smacked herself in the face.

Jordan leaned over to me and whispered, "I think someone has a crush on you."

I blushed "No it's ok, uhm probably anything with a zombie apocalypse" I choked out.

"Ok you two love birds can continue this conversation on the road we have a party to get to."

Lexia chimed in.

We all nodded in agreement, on the walk over me and Jean talked a little bit more about our favorite horror movies and other interests with the others chiming in as we moved along the sidewalk.

We made it to the club house and walked inside where Nox and Aaron greeted us with drinks in hand. I look around and see that the party is massive, it looks like the living room was much larger than it was the last time I was here, like the building itself was expanding to make sure there was enough room for everyone. The entire floor was lit up with neon lights people dancing and a DJ blasting music.

Jordan looks at me "Hey let's go play a round of beer pong my sister texted me she's over

there."

I nodded in agreement told the others where I was going and that wed meet up later.

Jordan and eye shuffled through the crowded kitchen to the dining room where I see this 6

foot five woman with long black hair and a muscular build, talking to a shorter scrawnier bald guy.

Jordan Calls out "Yo sis!" The girl turned around looking over the crowed to us she waved.

"Hey little bro." she called out with a big smile.

Her and the guy she was talking to wandered over.

"Hey Jordan, it's nice to see you again." The man extended his hand.

"Angelo its awesome to see you again!" Jordan pulls him in for a hug.

"Who's your friend?" his sister said pointing at me.

"Oh, where are my manners this is my roommate Lance, and lance this is my sister Alice, and

her boyfriend Angelo." He spoke like someone with way too much excitement like golden retriever

energy.

I Greeted them and we got to talking about what the school is like and what classes I need to be ready for.

"So, thinking of trying out for the team?" his sister asked us.

"Hell, yah I am everyone on our family has been on the team I'm not going to miss out" Jordan

said enthusiastically.

His sister looks over to me "Well what about you Lance?"

"Oh, I don't know I've never been much of a fighter Elizabeth usually handled anyone who

bugged me." I said sheepishly

Angelo spoke up "You don't have to be a front-line fighter to start I work as a healer making sure our team is always able to keep going in the fight."

"Hmm ill think about it" I said with a nod.

Cheering came from over by the table. Someone just made the winning shot.

Jordan got a mischievous look on his face. "Hey sis I bet you all my summer chores for yours that we can beat you in a game." He said point to the table.

"Your on, who is your partner?" she said

"You got my back?" he looked at me

I nodded we wandered over to the table. The game began Jordan started out hot making 2 out of three shots I missed both of mine I line up my third shot and sink it. Its now 5 to 4 they're winning and only need 5 more cups we need 6. After a few more rounds it was 3 to 2 our shot. The last 3 cups we got put in the shape of a triangle Jordan shoots and makes it into the furthest cup. I either have to make it in either other cup and we get to shoot again, or I make aim for the same cup that Jordan makes his in for the win. I take a breath and shoot.

The crowed erupts with cheers I managed to make it in the same cup as Jordan. His sister threw her hands up in defeat. I start getting patted on the back and high fived from everyone around. Even Alice and Angelo came over and congratulated us. I turned to Jordan and told him I was going to find everyone else. He nodded and we set of through the hall to the other end of the living room.

As w entered the room I saw Elizabeth, Lexia, and Jean off to the side of the dance floor talking I walked over to join them.

"Been having a good time?" Elizabeth asked me

I smiled "Yah me and Jordan just beat his sister at a game of pong."

"She beat me so badly last time mad respect," said Lexia.

I nodded thanks to her.

"Hey maybe you and I could go play a round later?" Jean looked at me with a smile.

"Yah that be great!" I said a little to enthusiastically.

"EWWW" Jordan said in a childish tone.

I noticed Lexia and Elizabeth give each other a look and down their drinks.

"Well would you look at that I need another drink." Said Elizabeth nonchalantly.

"Me too." Agreed alexia.

"You two stay here get to know each other we will be right back." Elizabeth said turning to walk away with Lexia. Dragging Jordan along by the collar.

"Sorry about that." Said Jean.

"Elizabeth said she wanted to try and set us up." She said trying to hide her blushing face with

her hands.

I figured as much Elizabeth is always obvious, sneaky is the one thing she can't be.

"Its fine, this place has gotten me a little weirded out. Not you though your awesome." I said

regretting it instantly what kind of compliment is that.

Jean giggled, she had a cute laugh "Thank you, I guess" she said smiling.

I heard a lowed thump come from the DJ booth I look over and see, Lexia behind the counter looking at the equipment. What she is doing. The music suddenly stopped, and a slow song began to start.

I went bright red. I'm going to kill you, Elizabeth.

"Wow she really goes 100% with everything she does, doesn't she?" jean said rubbing her arm.

"Yah sorry about that." I blushed and held out my hand. "Want to dance?"

She nodded took me by the hand and led me out to the dance floor we slowed danced for the entire next few songs and what was only a few minutes felt like hours, and yet it wasn't long enough. Once the slow songs ended, we decided to get some fresh air and head out to the patio.

We sit by the fire they have going to stay warm. Then Nox and Aaron walked on over.

"You two were so cute out there, isn't that right Aaron?" Nox Exclaimed

Aaron took a sip of his drink "Like Cinderella and prince charming." He said to us giving us a wink.

"Thanks" I said. "wait you were watching us dance?"

Before he could say anything Lexia, Jordan, and Elizabeth arrive at the table.

"Is the DJ going to be, ok?" I asked Lexia

"He'll be fine, should wake up within an hour." She smiled.

"I guess I can minus his pay for the hour." Aaron said

Elizabeth mouthed your welcome I made some obscene hand gestures, and she laughed.

"Yo Nox, Cap what's up." I hear a familiar voice say.

I look over to see Alice, and Angelo heading over to us.

"Cap? Whose she referring to?" I asked Aaron

"Me of course I'm the captain of the team." He said giving me a wink. Nox gave him a slight

shove.

Alice and Angelo joined us at the tables, where we stay the next few hours enjoying the night and each other's company. 1AM in the morning rolls around and Aaron wanders off only to arrive back with vodka and shot glasses.

"I prepose a toast to the new first years and here's hoping it will be a normal one." He said over dramatically.

He poured everyone a shot we raised our glasses and drank. The party died down an hour or two after that and we all wandered back to the dorm. Getting a little bit of sleep before orientation.

0