Chapter 7
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Startled awake by the blaring sound of my alarm clock, I jolted up and got myself ready for the day. I got up and got myself ready for the day. Once I was dressed, I headed out of my room to the kitchen. Sitting around the kitchen was Jordan who was eating a bagel out of one hand and flipping through a text book in the other. Our new roommates Reese and Connor both seemed to be packing their bags for the day.

Reese Orchard got in last night, All the way from some small town in Maine. He was a lanky kid with medium length brown hair. It was messy like he never heard of a comb and sometimes it blocked his emerald colored eyes. He also came from a family of Bellator's; a very close family friend of Jordans family.

Connor Crestfallen, though, was shorter in stature. He had short, white hair and glowing purple eyes with what looked like rune symbols engraved in them. Turns out, he is a vampire noble and he gave me a quick lesson on how not all vampires are evil, and that I don't have to worry about him trying to drink my blood. He came from a long line of great Vampire warriors, dating back almost 3000 years ago, when a holy war caused a split between the vampires, some sided with the demons with promises of power in the new world, and some like his family joined the Bellators in humanity's darkest moment. The Bellators and Vampire faction have been working side by side ever since. Although they don't get a godly sponsor he assured me that vampires are just as strong as bellators

Noticing me walking in, Jordan looked up from his book.

"Hey man, you may want to hurry up! You're not gonna to have a whole lot of time to eat at this point,"

"Don't worry, this should hold me over just fine." I said, walking over to the counter and grabbing a banana.

"You're definitely going to need to eat more than that. You have intro to magic and intro to combat today." Connor said, scolding me as he got up and wandered over to the door. "Did you not tell him how draining today will be for him, Jordan?"

"I was going to, just hadn't gotten around to it yet," Jordan exclaimed, throwing up his hand in a nonchalant manner.

"I swear you're hopeless." Connor said to Lance as he opened the door. Before he left, he turned back to me. "Listen, Lance using mana… and the kind of combat you will be doing today… it's going to be nothing like anything you've experienced before. Eat a healthy amount or you wont make it through." He turned and walked out the door not waiting for a response.

"What a dick," muttered Jordan, making sure the door was fully closed.

"He's not wrong, you really should've done a better job explaining how difficult today will be." Reese said.

"Come on, it cant be that bad; its the first day of class," I expressed, giving a reassuring smile.

"You see he will be fine, look at that confidence," Jordan said, pointing at me with his hands.

"He's right, you are hopeless!" sang Reese, jokingly.

"Whatever; you both ready to go?" uttered Jordan as he walked to the door.

Reese and I grabbed our bags and followed after him, and we made our way to the main hall. As we approached the building, we saw Elizabeth, Lexia, and Jean coming out of the main doors. As soon as they saw us, they ran over to us.

"Hey you guys! You're heading to Intro to Magic, right?" asked Elizabeth.

"Yeah, what are you guys doing?" I asked 

"Same but they decided class is going to be in the coliseum today so come on or we're going to be late." Lexia chimed in while ushering us all to hurry up to the coliseum.

We all ran to the massive building across the street making it past the archway and into the arena just in time to join the rest of the students as the teacher approached the front of the class.

A tall red haired woman wearing Black running shoes, red leggings and a black long-sleeved quarter zipped shirt spoke to the class.

"Good morning class My name is Ms. Burstorm and I will be teaching you the amazing power of your magic." she said, giving us all a beautiful smile.

"Now I want you all to line up while I explain the basics to you."

She went off into a long lecture; from what I was able to understand, there are multiple different elements, but Bellators can only master one to three specific elements. Anything more than that was just unheard of. Another thing covered was how to tap into our magic and how we had to focus on the feeling of power surging through your veins and urge it out.

Next, she had us line up in front of a small glass orb on a pedestal.

"Now, we will use this Magic Orb to find out what elements you will be proficient at. It's quite simple, just put your hand on the orb and let your magic flow into it and your power will be revealed."

The line began to move as student after student finished at the orb. Elizabeth was up next. I saw the orb shine yellow, red, and silver.

"Very Impressive, Lightning, Fire, and Metal. Not bad Red" Ms. Burstorm said as she patted Elizabeth on the back.

Figures she exceeds at everything she does after all.

As each student went through the process, I got closer and closer to the front of the line; almost my turn.

As I approach the front of the line, I slowly reach my hand out and begin to try and urge magic into the orb. As soon as my hand touches the orb, it began to shine bright white, and red.

"Interesting" Ms. Burstorm said as she leaned in to get a closer look at the orb. "Fire and holy magic this year may turn out to be a bit more fun than expected."

She ushered me away so the next student could approach. I joined Elizabeth and the rest of our friends, we all began talking about the Magic each of us was attuned too. Jordan got wind and water magic affinities, Lexi got Dark, and something called chaos magic, which I never heard of before, as her affinities, while Jean got lightning and metal affinities.

"Hey guys!" We turned to see a short pale skinned girl with long, straight. white hair, and purple eyes. She then came walking towards us.

"Hey Tessa!" Elizabeth shouted as she waved back.

"Lance, Jordan… this is Tessa, she's our last roommate, and get this… she's a vampire noble!" Elizabeth said excitedly.

"Nice to meet you." I said, extending out my hand.

"Lance, I've heard a bit about you from my brother," she paused… "you don't seem too helpless," Tessa said with a smirk.

Lexia let out a laugh

"Your brother must be Connor then? I swear you forget to eat one breakfast and all of a sudden you're hopeless." I said with an over dramatic tone.

Tessa giggled, then looked oddly confused at something behind me. "Is your friend alright?" she said as she pointed over my shoulder giggling.

I looked over to see Jordan's face beat red, so I gave him a light shove.

"Hey man, you good?"

His body jerked. "Yes, Jordan hi my name is?" He blurted out, then turned around and ran off.

"Well shit Lance, I didn't think anyone could be worse at talking to girls than you, but looks like Jordan just took first place!" Lexia yelled falling over with laughter.

"I don't think he's that bad, besides he's kind of cute." Tessa said, looking at Jordan running through the crowd.

A few more moments pass then Ms. Burstorm Got back in front of the group and whistled to gain everyone's attention.

"Good job with the first task of the day everyone." Now begins the second project for the day; defense magic. We will start with the simplest spell shield."

Ms. Burstorm held up one hand, palm facing outward and shouted "Scutum!" A massive blue transparent object appeared in front of Ms. Burstorm's hand. After a few seconds, she lowered her hand.

"Scutum, or Latin for shield is your basic protection spell, every Bellator is capable of casting it. over time, you will learn defensive spells based on your elemental attributes; however, this spell is linked directly to your will power. The more you have, the stronger your shield will be."

She had us all line up and spaced us about 4 feet apart, and we began to practice casting the spell. I was surprised with how easy it felt to cast. After a short time every student managed to cast the spell at least once.

"Alright class, I want 7 lines, across from the practice dummies you see behind me… Observe." She didn't even look at the dummy, she just pointed and said the word "glacies". An ice shard appeared at the tip of her finger and with a simple flick motion, the shard shot faster than a bullet impaling the practice dummy.

Applause came from the students.

"Oh, why thank you all so much! Now all you have to do is chant your magic affinity's natural name, and focus on the dummy. Just like the shield spell, you will learn new spells as you train, and don't forget to try and be creative with your powers."

We all lined up, Lexia and Elizabeth in front of me. Elizabeth was up first.

She stood ready, facing down the dummy, and then held out both hands, palms open and shouted, "Metallicum! Fulgur!" All of sudden, a lightning bolt appeared in one hand as metal spears stabbed out from the ground impaling the dummy, then she gave an overhand throw and the lightning bolt zipped through the air connecting with the dummy in a lightning explosion, enhanced by the metal spears penetrating the dummy.

"Damn Red, not bad again. Keep this up and you'll be my new favorite student." Ms. Burstorm said to Elizabeth, giving her a cheerful thumbs up.

Next up was Lexia. She took in a shaky breath before holding up her hand and whispering, "chaoticus." Red vines shot from Lexias hand, zipping through the air and weaving around towards the dummy until they punctured the dummy's chest. It began to fall apart, disintegrating. The most bizarre thing, though, was the red vines themselves. They seemed to be attempting to suck the life force from the dummy. Lexia gave a nod to the teacher and wandered over towards Elizabeth.

Finally, it was my turn. I had no idea what spell to cast. Light or fire? Or maybe I could try both? I decided on what to do, then held up my hand and shouted with all my will "Ignes!" a small flame appeared at my fingertip. I heard one of the other students yell

"Hey man, don't be too upset. I've heard them say size doesn't matter" the rest of the students began to laugh.

My face went red and I quickly flicked my finger and turned to walk over to Elizabeth, but before I could make it a few feet an invisible force through me across the arena followed by a massive boom.

It took me a few moments, but I managed to get up and turn to see what happened. The dummy disappeared and in its place was a 20ft wide crater.

"Well, I guess it really doesn't." the same student from earlier said he had also gotten knocked far back. The rest of them began to cheer.

I got up and rushed over to Elizabeth to wait for the rest of the students to finish.

"Alright kids, we still have a few minutes before your battle instructor gets here, who's up for a spar?" Ms. Burstorm said enthusiastically.

The class looked around confused until I saw Elizabeth raise her hand.

"With you?" she asked.

"Well of course! Get up here red, show me what you got!"

Elizabeth got to the front of the class, about 20 ft away from Ms. Burstorm.

"Magic only, got it?" Ms. Burstorm said.

Elizabeth nodded. it looked like she was whispering something, almost like she was having a mini argument with herself.

"Begin!" Ms. Burstorm shouted as she began to lift her hand and shouted "Glacies!" five large ice spears appeared in front of her.

"This can't be ok!" I heard one of the students yell. Soon, the rest of the class began to voice their concerns.

Ms. Burstorm motioned with her hand and the spears launched towards Elizabeth.

"Look out!" someone yelled.

Elizabeth moved like a flash of lightning moving towards Ms. Burstorm while dodging her way through the onslaught of ice.

"Not bad," Ms. Burstorm said, as she readied her next volley.

Elizabeth didn't slow down, though. She was moving at inhuman speeds to avoid the attacks, she weaved around the ice spears narrowly dodging each one as she gained ground. Now only 7 ft from Ms. Burstorm, Elizabeth launched into the air towards the instructor fist at the ready to deliver a devastating blow. Just as she was about to connect her punch, she shouts, "Ignes!"

A flash of blinding light followed by a powerful explosion blinded and blew dust up all over the arena. The students struggled to stand back up, but from the looks of it, no one had a scratch on them. We all looked over to see where Elizabeth, and Ms. Burstorm were fighting, and noticed in-between them was Mr. Griffon holding Elizabeth's arm in one hand and Ms. Burstorm's palm in another.

0