Chapter 02: Food Chain
509 5 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 


Slime

Level: 1/1
Skill Points: 0
Name: Cyan

Status
---------------------------
HP: 100
MP: 100
SP: 100
OSP: 100

Offense: 10
Defense: 10
Magic: 10
Resistance: 10
Speed: 10


 

Yeah, I devoured them all, and every time I ate another slime, its stats got transferred to me. The only thing that didn't change was my skills. I thought they would increase too, like <Body Repair>, but nothing happened.

Anyway, while I had a nice meal, my father or mother above me turned into dust and disappeared completely, so I couldn't take a bite there…

It sounds kinda strange saying it like this, but as the weakest being, there is probably no other way to rise in the food chain but to eat the food chain.

Let's see what this cave has to offer in this regard. So, I crawl forward, following a narrow passage that leads out of this chamber. And even when my speed got 10x faster, I still felt slow.

While crawling through the cave, I checked my <SP> bar. It seems that the yellow one is my actual stamina because when I crawl faster, it starts to reduce. But when I only wobble around, it starts to recover.

The question is, what will happen if it turns zero? Will I be out of breath then? Do I even breathe? I don't think so, but maybe I will be simply unable to move or something like that. The red small <OSP> bar hasn't moved yet, but sooner or later, I will find out what it does too.

Because I was concentrating on my stats, I didn't even notice that I had left the narrow passage and was now standing in a large open space that splits into countless passages, which are big and small.

This reminds me that I don't even know where I am. Can I also appraise something like this cave? I look at the wall next to me, and pieces of information start to appear in front of me.

 


Great Elroe Labyrinth

The largest labyrinth in the world, connecting the continents of Daztrudia and Kasanagara underground.


 

So, this is a labyrinth. That explains, at least, the countless passages. 

Also, the two continents prove I'm not on Earth because they do not exist there... afterwards, I look at the ground and try to see if I find something else.

 


Great Elroe Labyrinth, Upper Stratum

The top Stratum of the Elroe Labyrinth. Populated by many weak monsters.


 

This isn't a labyrinth but a freaking RPG Dungeon. If I had a <Luck> ability, it would probably be -9999 because I'm not only the weakest being but also ended up in the largest dungeon in this world.

But at least there seem to be only weak monsters here, hopefully like me, so I should be fine. And since it's the top floor, there should also be an exit somewhere, so I can leave this place if it gets too dangerous, except if this dungeon is a tower, and I need to go to the bottom first to get out of here...

I will simply forget my last thought and hope for the best.

*Crunch, Crunch* While I crawl around a rock, I suddenly hear something, even though I have no ears... but the Magical Perception seems to do the trick.

Moving around it, I see a rat crunching on something.

 


Elroe Greym

Level: 2/10
Skill Points: 0
Name: None

Status
---------------------------
HP: 47
MP: 14
SP: 54
OSP: 52

Offense: 29
Defense: 25
Magic: 11
Resistance: 13
Speed: 31

Skills
---------------------------
Active Skills:
Poison Fang LV 1

Resistance Skills:
Poison Resistance LV 2

Passive Skills:
Stealth LV 1 ° Night Vision LV 5

Description
---------------------------
Also known as "mouse". Although its fighting strength is low, its fertility is high, and it's easy to spring in large quantities. Its danger level is E.


 

Rat

What do you mean by mouse, System? This thing is definitely a rat, that has also a higher danger level than me. Luckily, it was busy eating, so I could easily sneak away.

<Proficiency has reached the required level. Acquired skill [Stealth LV 1]>

Thanks, I guess... Wait, let me rephrase this: Luckily, it was busy eating, so I could easily cast a meteor shower on it... Nothing? Damn, and I thought the System would listen to me.

But this gives me another idea. Why sneak away when I can sneak up to it? Making up my mind, I slowly crawl toward the eating rat-mouse thing while my <Stealth> skill does its magic.

After this, I better get the title <Ninja-Slime>, or I would get mad...

Reaching its tail, I stretch my body into the air, and it starts to glow. When the rat-mouse thing saw the shadow above itself, it tried to jump away, but it was too late, and I crashed into it while engulfing its whole body.

"Squeal!!!"

It struggles and screams at first inside me, but then stops and starts to dissolve and becomes quiet... the <Devour> skill is creepy...

Not only does it enlarge my body for the moment, but it also makes it impossible to escape once they get devoured by me.

<Devour completed, assimilation into user's body was successful>

<Thanks to the assimilation, the user's body got the skills: [Poison Fang LV 1], [Poison Resistance LV 1], [Night Vision LV 1]> 

<Superior Skills detected: [Night Vision LV 1], [Poison Resistance LV 1] get discarded because of [Magical Perception] and [Status Condition Nullification]>

Suddenly, I get a bunch of notifications that show that I can learn skills too by devouring beings, even though lesser skills seem to be discarded without gifting me an alternative...

And it also seems that the skills start at level one when I devour them, which is also a pain in the ass… but in the end, it's probably fine since high-level skills are useless if you don't know how to handle them.

Now I have only one question for the System... how the hell should I use <Poison Fang> if I'm a slime that has no fangs?!

<Proficiency has reached the required level. Acquired skill [Mimic LV 1]> I swear to God if there is one in this world, this system wants to play games with me...

Before checking out my status and the skills I got, I look at the corpse the rat was feasting on and only see some giant spider legs and a white half-eaten eight-eyed spider head.

Maybe the system should have granted me the meteor skill… because you should wipe such things out before they lay eggs.

Nothing? Come on, System, give me a hand here...

I grab the spider leg with two tentacles that come out of my body and fight with me to devour it. I don't know why, but devouring a spider leg is kind of disgusting...

"Squeal!" suddenly I hear a bunch of angry rat-mouse things coming my way from one of the passages, probably after hearing their friend die.

So I put on my slime sneakers and started to crawl away toward another passage while dropping the leg.

And in contrast to before, I finally moved fast and could feel that my body got stronger too, so I tried to jump to get as much distance as possible, but when I landed again, I started to slide a bit over the surface thanks to my smooth body.

<Proficiency has reached the required level. Acquired skill [Sliding LV 1]>

Nice! So I combine crawling, jumping, and sliding to move pretty fast and win some ground until I suddenly get slower before nearly stopping completely.

So I checked my Status and saw that my <SP> is reaching zero, so it seems I need to recover even though I feel no fatigue… but since I got a lot of distance, it should be fine to take a break.

As soon as I stop moving, my stamina starts to recover pretty fast. Looking at the overall stamina, which went down to about 75%, it seems not to recover that easily and stays the same.

So I probably need to sleep if I can or devour something to recover it...

"Squeal! Squeal!" Damn, they are still coming... does one of them have the skill <Tracker> or something like that?

So my choice is to continue running or... testing my new skill and hope for the best. So I think about <Mimic> and suddenly a menu appears in front of me.

But with only one option, Elroe Greym, so I choose it mentally and my slime body glows for a second till it begins to change form and color.

And after a few seconds, I have become a rat-mouse... Not only that, but my point of view and body feeling changed too.

Basically, I got a body that is not so abstract as a slime one, even though having a tail is awkward... Anyway, the skill seems to have a big problem, the <SP> and <MP> drainage is extremely high, and I can see the bars slowly reducing.

So I could probably stay in this form for about a minute or so for now.

Luckily, in the next few seconds, a crowd with nearly 30 creatures arrives at me and looks hectically around while their leader raises its nose and starts to sniff around.

So I point towards the dark passage ahead and say, "Squeal, Squeal," while trying to gesture that the evil slime continued crawling down the passageway.

The leader rat-mouse looks at me, then nods and starts to run, followed by his companions. Damn, maybe my luck is only at -9998... but still, if I could, I would sigh now because of how close this was. At least I know which way not to go...

Before my stats reach 0, I cancel the <Mimic> skill by simply thinking about it and transform back into my slime form. Then turn toward the open area and begin to crawl there while checking out my new Stats.

 


Status
---------------------------
HP: 147/147
MP: 23/114
SP: 55 /154
OSP: 114/152

Offense: 39
Defense: 35
Magic: 21
Resistance: 23
Speed: 41

Skills
---------------------------
Stat & Ability Skills:
Body Repair LV 1

Active Skills:
Devour ° Poison Fang LV 1 ° Mimic LV 1

Magic Skills:
Heretic Magic LV1

Resistance Skills:
Pain Nullification ° Status Condition Nullification

Passive Skills:
Unlimited Growth ° Magical Perception ° Stealth LV 1 ° Sliding LV 1

Other Skills:
Taboo LV 2

Titles
---------------------------
Kin Eater


 

Well, now I only need some attack skills that I can also use in my slime form, except for devour, so I can fight the rats without running away or sneaking up on them.

 


 

Hey, everyone, and welcome to the end of the chapter.

I hope you've been enjoying the story so far. If you have any feedback, I'd be glad to hear it.

Until then, enjoy the story.

39