Chapter 2: First duel of the tournament
255 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, all the participants arrived at the island where the tournament would be held.

“Achoo!” Although some were not in perfect condition.

"Sorry, Joey, you're like this for trying to get my cards back." Yugi continued to maintain a serious face.

"This? It's nothing." He kept his spirits up while blowing his nose. "What makes me sick is that stupid guy who throws your best cards into the ocean!"

“Don't go around spreading lies, it was an accident” Weevil wouldn't sit still while they slandered him.

“Do we look stupid to you!?”

"Are you asking me after you jumped off a ship for cardboard pieces? There are more copies on the market." Yes, they were rare, but they weren't the white Dragon with blue eyes.

“Tell me about…” They couldn't continue their discussion because the employees guided them to a castle on the island.

“It's really a castle, Pegasus has a strange style.” The brown-haired criminal, known as Tristan, didn't like the vibe of the building.

“Wow” Tea, the only girl in Yugi's group, was just amazed.

The contestants were stopped in front of the castle gates, where they were greeted from a balcony by the game's creator himself, Maximillion Pegasus.

“Everyone, welcome to the Duelist Kingdom!” He was a man in his thirties with long silver hair, looking at an elegant wine-colored suit, he gave them a good-natured smile.

This was the second time Weevil met him live, the first was when he won the national tournament and announced this tournament, always presented himself as a happy man who liked to see people having fun with his games.

Pegasus's speech consisted of the rules of the tournament, they had to use the previously given glove and place the two stars also provided, they had 48 hours to win 10 stars by betting on the games, which could be played on the boards spread around the island, and move on to the next round.

(There is no doubt about it, he is eccentric) He hoped that there would be emergency teams watching because there was a high risk of accidents.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

An hour later the participants began to tour the island, as national champion Weevil had received information about some details of the duels on the island, so he was camping near a duel box in the forest and it didn't take long for his first opponent to arrive. 

“Are you following me?” Yugi and her group passed by him.

“You don't own the forest!” Joey responded aggressively. The puzzle boy saw that he had his deck in his hand.

“So you have the courage to stand up to me!”

“…Yugi was just waiting for someone to come by and if you're good enough to defeat Kaiba, then you could make it to the finals where obviously I would have to face you” It was a matter of when.

The puzzle boy felt that his response diminished the atmosphere a little, but he wasn't going to back down.

“Are you ready to duel?!”

"As you wish, I don't reject a good challenge." It would be the same now as later, he walked towards the duel box and sat on a chair in front of the board, his opponent did the same without changing her expression. “Yugi, I hope that no matter how it ends, you understand that it was an accident and there is no resentment” he couldn't do anything else.

His opponent seemed hesitant, but he stood his ground as they both placed one of his stars as a bet.

“Come on, Yugi.”

“Squash the bug boy,” his friends encouraged him.

“It must be nice to have cheerleaders.” He was trying not to sound jealous.

"Duel!" They both drew their first cards.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Weevil had to give it to Yugi, his adaptability and intuition was top notch, he had deduced the home field advantage system before even starting the game, causing the first round to end in a tie, but he was thankful that the advantage in attack priority was not something could simply guess, thanks to that he could take advantage of his horned demon's lack of attack, the increase in strength Yugi gave him was of no use in the face of the speed advantage, to destroy him with his beetle.

“My Hercules beetle leaves you with 1350 life points, the first hit is mine” He waited for his response, he knew that he would not fall so easily

“Yugi, don't give up buddy!” His friends continued with his words of encouragement, the insect boy tightened his grip on his chair, but he remained focused.

“I'm sure he has a strategy in store.” The white-haired boy, Bakura, remained calm.

(Don't tell me, Sherlock, a strategy in a strategy game, no one would guess)

“I can't believe Yugi is losing to that bug boy.” Tristan adjusted his cheerleading band.

(I'm not the national champion for nothing) They couldn't underestimate him that much.

“I have nothing to fight with the Hercules beetle… so I will put a pawn on defense and end my turn” I place Griffor, a dragon monster with 1200 attack points and 1500 defense, it would not last long against the beetle's 1950 attack points .

“I will play my basic combo, I will play basic insect and I will equip it with Laser Canon Armor” Thanks to the field and armor advantage the monster had 2600 attack, Yugi recognized that this was the move with which he won the national tournament. “Attack!” His opponent's defense was decimated.

(If there's one thing I'd like in an update it would be more ways to deal damage, maybe deal 500 points of damage if I have monsters left to attack or it depends on the number of stars) The field rules showed that Pegasus was open to changes in its game

The rounds continued to pass with Weevil destroying Yugi's defenses, with the only difference being that they both placed a card face down.

“I summon the Dark Magician in defense mode.” The magic user with purple clothes appeared next to Yugi, his attack was 2500 and his defense was 2000.

"A Dark Magician, a rare card..."

(Is he so desperate or...) He didn't lose sight of his face down card.

“I activate the magic card Graceful Charity” With the effect he could draw three cards, although he had to discard two. (I still can't get rid of it) He would have to be patient "I end my turn"

Yugi would have to admit that his opponent was more cautious than he expected.

“Why don't I attack the Dark Magician?” Joey was confused.

“In this type of game you can't attack without a plan, sometimes it's best to wait” Bakura gave his opinion.

"At least one of you knows what's going on, little Yugi will need more tricks to fool the national champion." The only woman in the tournament decided to join the conversation.

“Mai Valentine” Joey and Tristan were happy to have this beauty join them.

“In Duel Monsters you can win or lose in a single turn, you can never rush or claim victory prematurely”

(What's wrong with this busybody?!) Tea didn't seem to have a good opinion of Mai. “Yugi will get over this, and he's not small!”

“Tea, I agree with Mai!”

“Yes, me too” The red faces of the criminals did not help their credibility in front of Tea.

“Whose side are you on?!”

“I mean, Yugi can win, he just has to improve his game.”

(I can't wait for Yugi to confront her...) The girl seemed to want to hurt Mai with her gaze.

“…The audience is having fun” The insect boy was beginning to find it somewhat funny, returning to the duel, he saw how Yugi only increased his defenses. (He will not be able to defend himself forever) He Draws a card “I activate Pot of Greed and draw two more cards” When he saw the cards he smiled “Finally, something to advance the stalemate, I summon Caterpie in defense mode” A cute-looking caterpillar appeared on his field, it had 600 attack points and 500 defense points, which increased thanks to the field.

(Caterpie... I don't know this card, but it's a level 2 with few attack and defense points, it's a strange choice) Yugi looked at the insect thoughtfully.

“And what is that bug supposed to do?!” Joey wasn't impressed either.

“For now this, I activate the spell card: Big Bite! If I control an insect monster I can destroy a spell card or trap on the field!” He pointed to a face-down card in Yugi's field. “Go feed yourself, Caterpie!” The caterpillar happily slithered away and he ate the letter face down with small bites.

(Damn, I'm helpless!) The puzzle boy could only watch as the rest of his opponent's monsters destroyed his defensive line.

“Come on, Yugi, this can't be all you have.” Although he's had his moments, he wasn't impressed, Weevil would put him on Rex's level (Maybe Kaiba isn't a big deal if you know how to take care of his white dragons)

“Did you have to ask? Right, Joey?” Tristan slapped his forehead.

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Tea looked worriedly at the game board.

(None of my monsters have enough power to defeat his insects, the field increase is too much...) If Yugi wanted to get out of this situation he had to rely on his next card, it was obvious that he was sweating.

“Yugi, you can't lose!” His friends continued cheering him on.

“Yugi! We came here to get the title of 'King of Games'! It can’t fall here!” It looked like Joey was going to tear down the place where they were playing. “If you have to burn down this entire forest to get rid of those bugs, do it!”

(Sounds like a lunatic) Bug boy shook his head (What good would burning Pegasus Island do for Yugi?) They could all end up arrested.

“You rookies talk too much, when a duelist goes into battle he can only rely on himself” Mai seemed to agree with the champion.

“You're wrong! Our feelings will give Yugi strength!” Tea was ready to argue with the blonde, but she just stayed silent.

(At least no one can judge me for taking this too seriously anymore...) Bug Boy was sometimes told he acted over the top when playing Duel Monsters, but he found someone who surpassed him. “I hope they remember how this game works...” This wasn't a fist fight where having more will would make you stay standing, it was a card game, although the smile Yugi gave as he drew his next card was not a good sign.

“Here comes my Curse of Dragon! “A bony and terrifying looking dragon appeared on the field, it had 2000 attack point and 1500 defense point.” I also activate my spell card: Burning Land! Attack with infernal flames!

"No way!" He knew what he was doing and he couldn't do anything to stop it, he clucked his mouth at his bad luck.

“Thanks to my spell I can destroy any magic card on the field, including the forest!” The puzzle boy smiled as his opponent's face-down card was also destroyed. “Without field advantage and his equipment card, the basic insect is at the mercy of my dragon.” The basic insect was turned into ash and Weevil was left with 500 life points.

"Excellent! Your bugs are fried!” Joey raised his fists in celebration, he wasn't worried about the next turn.

“You have impressive luck, Yugi, but I must thank you for not destroying my Cartepie…” His draw could have been better, given the circumstances, but it could be used “I sacrifice my monster to special summon its evolution, Metapod in defense mode” The caterpillar sprayed a sticky web that hardened on it, now it was just a dark green cocoon with eyes, It had 3 stars, 200 of attack and 1900 defense.

“Joey, don't say anything.” Tristan put his hand on his friend's shoulder.

"Shut up!"

“I move my Hercules beetle to defense and finish my turn” he would have to wait for now.

“I summon Gaia the Dark Knight” The monster with 2300 attack points and 2100 defense appeared on the field “Gaia destroys the Hercules beetle and Cursed dragon to Metapod” Both monsters charged towards their enemies.

“You should take a moment to study your opponent's active Metapod effect, once per turn when he is attacked his defense increases by 500 points! Harden!" The cocoon was covered with a bright light and when the dragon hit it, it only managed to bounce away, instead the knight smashed the beetle into pieces.

“These bugs are always a nuisance!” Joey watched as his friend's life points dropped to 950.

“I guess it's my turn now, Draw!” When he saw the card, he knew that the duel was his "and now the second effect of my Metapod is activated, after my next draw phase I can bring its evolution from my deck to my hand"

(What will it be?) Yugi hopes he has enough to face what he hoped was his opponent's boss monster, his hand was practically exhausted, he only had Kuriboh, the Beaver Warrior and the spell card Monster Recovery.

“I will not leave the veil on you for long. I sacrifice my Metapod to specially summon my Butterfree.” The cocoon split in half and a beautiful butterfly emerged. It was 4 stars and had 1800 attack and 900 defense.

(She's very cute) Although Tea wouldn't say it out loud.

“…I was expecting something more intimidating” Joey imagined a repulsive, giant insect.

"Well, what do you think about this, since I have an insect monster on the field, I specially summon Scyther from my hand." A type of praying mantis with enormous blades and wings on its back appeared on the field, it had 5 stars and an attack of 2100 and 1500 defense

Tristan slapped his forehead again, but without saying anything.

“You put up a good fight, Yugi, but is over, combined attack!” The insects charged in sequence.

(What's wrong? My monsters' attacks are much stronger and it no longer has the field advantage... That's it!) Before the duos clashed, almost all of the monsters' attacks began to change.

"No!" Yugi could only watch as the attack of his knight and dragon dropped to 1800 and 1500 respectively, while the attack of the praying mantis became 2600, Yugi tried to use Kuriboh's effect, but he could only block the damage caused by the butterfly, Scyther passed by and crossed his sickles to slice his enemy into pieces.

“Yugi is going to lose!” Bakura couldn't believe it, as did Tea.

"It just can't be!"

“It's cheating! Someone explain to me what's going on before I go in there and get the answers out of him!” Joey again had to be stopped by an also incredulous Tristan.

“Patience, rookies, this is about to be said.” Mai was not surprised by the result, although she had to admit that Yugi did quite well against a champion like Weevil.

“…First activate the effect of Scyther, when fighting a monster with more attack than it, its attack increases by 500 points and then activate the poisonous dust effect of Butterfree, covering your field with poison, decreasing the attack points of your monster” When the explanation and the clash of both sides finished, they were only standing; figuratively speaking because both insects were flying; Weevil's monsters, causing his opponent's life points to drop to zero.

(For a moment it was close...) The insect boy let out a held breath, he had the feeling that Yugi was the type of opponent who should not be given the slightest opportunity to act, he preferred not to find out what his next card would be, It was a sign for him to stop limiting himself and fully use his best cards.

If you feel creative, do not hesitate to write your ideas about cards with the theme of pokemon or any other series.

2