Chapter 7: Limits
134 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weevil imagined that there would be no more surprises for the rest of the night, he understood that he was wrong when he was awakened by the landing of a helicopter nearby.

"What's going on?" He gave a yawn (Won't Pegasus let us sleep?) He hoped that wasn't another night duelist.

“I'm going to kick someone's ass!” Joey was the angriest of the group of boys.

“It's a lot of noise!” The girls were just sleepy.

Everyone gathered in front of the landing site of the aerial vehicle, of which an unexpected visitor to the group was the owner of the Blue-Eyes White Dragons.

“Kaiba? Wasn't he in the hospital?” Weevil pointed out, but Yugi's group was still stunned, especially the puzzle boy, who, upon recovering, approached the businessman.

"We meet again, Yugi." Kaiba remained stoic.

“Yup,” he reached into the pocket of his clothes to pull out a deck of cards. “A guy had your cards, we got them back.”

Kaiba looked at him for a moment, but finally he took them.

"I'm going to say thank you, for now, but don't be confused, Yugi... I'm not the kind of man who loses a fight and walks away with my tail between his legs, I'm going to defeat you sooner or later." He turned around and started to walk away. “One more thing, I am the one who will defeat Pegasus! I will protect Kaiba Corp with my own hands!”

“Grr…Wait a second, Kaiba!” Joey ran towards him and grabbed the collar of his clothes. “Don't think you can come here acting like the owner! “We are all fighting for our goals!” Joey never liked Kaiba's arrogant attitude, plus his first impression of him was worse than Weevil's.

“Joey, stop!” Yugi was trying to separate them.

“So you're in this tournament too, huh?” The businessman had a superior smile, he barely recognized the existence of the hooligan. “Now I know the level of competition.” It seemed like he was going to laugh in his face.

“I'm going to…” Tristan had to arrive to stop him.

“Let it go, man!”

“You let me go! Come on, Kaiba, fight me, duel style!”

“Do you realize what you're saying? Know your place!” He almost looked offended.

"I'll do that!" Everyone seemed to realize that Joey wasn't going to back down.

“Alright then… just don't end up crying in my shoes when I destroy your cheap ego.”

“Don't do it, Joey!” Yugi knew Kaiba's level better than anyone.

“I can't back out, let's do it!” Joey pointed towards the forest “Come with me! There’s a duel box nearby!”

“No, we're going to fight here” Kaiba opened a briefcase that he was carrying that, in addition to many Duel Monster cards, had a strange machine “Put this on, it's a duel disk.”

(What the hell is this?!) While Joey was figuring out how to use the disk, Weevil and Mai were feeling a little out of place.

“Tea, does Wheeler hate all Duel Monster champions?” Bug Boy thought this was very dramatic.

“N-No, we have a certain history with Kaiba…” The girl proceeded to explain the matter of Yugi's grandfather's Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

“It's very petty for such a successful businessman.” Although he should not surprise despite his relative popularity, Kaiba was not very well liked by the public.

Mai just huffed, she had seen too many men like him.

“Give me a minute, I can't keep watching this.” Weevil hadn't lost track of the duel to learn about Kaiba, but Joey was playing poorly to achieve something important“Wheeler, for heaven's sake, it's just a 2000 attack point monster, this isn't a throw-the-first-come-your-own game of war, you're making Rex or anyone who lost to you look bad!” He didn't realize that one of those people was standing next to him, a little embarrassed.

“I don't want to hear any of that garbage! The game just begins!" Despite his attitude, there were only 500 life points left. “My next card is…” All or nothing, it was his best card so far. “The super rare, Red-Eyes Black Dragon!” The flying reptile with 2400 attack points and 2000 defense points emerged from a disk.

Even Kaiba was momentarily shocked by the dragon and could only watch as his minotaur monster was destroyed.

(I guess it counts as a scratch) He wasn't worried he had his best weapon ready for combat.

“How about that, Kaiba?!” Joey felt prepared for anything with his dragon at his side.

(Pure power is the worst strategy I could use against Kaiba with so little) Weevil was wondering if the hooligan had forgotten his opponent's signature monster, not that he needed to wait too long, right on the next turn the Blue-Eyes White Dragon was summoned to end the game.

“Heh heh, I hope this was educational” The businessman looked down at the now on the ground and defeated Joey.

“Arrg, No!” The hooligan threw his dueling equipment to the ground

“With luck, help from your friends or whatever you want to call it, you have been able to win some matches despite your obvious incompetence… but your false confidence must be managed” Kaiba saw that he did not even respond “Stay on the ground! You’re too much of a loser even standing up!”

“Kaiba…why?” Yugi didn't understand why he was so harsh.

“Who cares what you think? What do you know anyway?!?” Tea was fed up with the situation.

“The way to win apparently” It wasn't Kaiba who responded, Tea and the others turned to Weevil “Don't get me wrong, Kaiba acts like a jerk, but he's right, Joey played in the worst way possible, he has to put his feet on the ground if he wants to continue advancing.”

“At least one of you isn't such an idiot.” The businessman only gave the insect boy a glance before turning to leave. “Let's see if you're able to stand up as a duelist.”

"You have not changed anything?!" All of this didn't seem fair to Yugi.

“Did you expect me to smile like an idiot and join forces with you?... Your stupid friendship disgusts me!” His words seemed to hit the puzzle boy.

“It's useless, no matter what you say,” Tea tried to comfort him.

"Yugi, look at the castle, even with your skill you won't be able to defeat him, I've seen how he plays" Kaiba proceeded to tell them the only time he witnessed Pegasus' abilities, crushing the number 1 of the United States, Keith Howard “I don't know what kind of trick he uses on the table, but I'm betting he can't use them with my duel disks.”

Almost everyone in Yugi's group had an idea of Pegasus' powers, except Weevil.

(I always thought that tournament was a promotional play... Pegasus must be one of the smartest people on the planet to analyze every possible card and variation of Keith's and have a plan to respond or Kaiba is right and there is a trick... I can't believe the creator of the game would stoop to cheating, is his ego that fragile?) Weevil didn't understand why he would hold onto the title so much when he genuinely seemed to want the world to enjoy Duel Monsters for fun.

“I'm going to the castle.” Kaiba finally left them behind.

“And I'm going to continue sleeping.” The insect boy walked away when Tea stood in front of him, he barely moved a few meters away.

“Don't you think you were too rough with Joey?” She seemed to be trying to give him a hint to apologize, in this situation they should support each other.

“Tea, I know there could have been a better way, but it was valid advice.”

“He's right.” Mai seemed to have followed them. “If Joey has pride as a duelist, he will recover stronger, this is not for softies.” She would be very disappointed if that weren't the case.

(This is not a fist fight, why does everyone make a card game so dramatic?)

“But…" It still hurt her to see some of her friends like that.

“You'll see how it will be fine in the morning.” He didn't want to continue arguing in circles.

“Don't tell me you followed him to snuggle with him?” Mai winked at her, it seemed like she wanted to go to sleep too.

"What?! N-No! Why?!"

“Don't seem so alarmed by the idea, nothing would happen to you.” Although he wasn't surprised by her reaction, he just continued walking.

“E-Excuse me, but…”

“Now, now, enough babbling, women need sleep to sustain themselves.” The blonde dragged Tea to her tent.

That was enough to silence Tea for the rest of the night.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

"It is morning already! Get up guys!” It seemed like they were right about Joey, he had woken up excitedly the next morning “Let's take their stars from other duelists to get to the castle!”

“I'm sleepy” The rest of his friends were not so cheerful, Tristan looked like he was going to go back to bed.

“Some people aren't in such a hurry, Wheeler.” Weevil put on his glasses.

“Kaiba must be at the castle by now.” Bakura and Yugi looked at the building.

“Who knows, maybe they just kicked him out.” After sleeping, bug boy realized that what Kaiba was doing was practically breaking into private property.

Nobody considered that possibility.

“Boy, they're up!” Tea looked like she had been awake for a while.

“And where is Mai? Joey looked around while Tristan stretched and Weevil brushed his teeth.

"When I got up she was not there, she even left the tent and the rest of the food... I leave you this note Weevil, it is to thank you"

The bug boy looked at the note and said 'I owe you one, Mai' with a kiss mark next to her name.

(No one at my school would believe this)

"Well, Yugi, Wheeler, good luck collecting the rest of the stars." Since there didn't seem to be any breakfast, he decided to look for it in the castle.

"Where are you going?" The hooligan frankly hoped Weevil would do something to bother them during the time he was with them.

"You forgot it? “He showed him his glove full of stars. “Last night I finished collecting them, I'm going to the castle.”

“It's true, congratulations, Weevil.” Tea was the only one with enough spirit to congratulate him.

“Thank you… What are you going to do, Tea?”

“Huh?”

“Let's forget the bet, I just want to know if you want to come with me to the castle.” He felt that it was no longer necessary to chain their relationship because of that bet.

“I… I want to help Yugi and Joey get to the castle.”

“I understand, I'll see you there” Frankly, her hesitation for a second was enough for him, he had no hope that she would leave her school friends for him.

Everyone just watched as he walked away.

3