「Fragment I」The Cloud Over Orario
136 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

❖ ❖ ❖

   Alice finds herself waking up inside the very same Abandoned Church. Her lantern turned cold long ago, and before she knew it, the days had changed in the blink of an eye. 

   She stood up and tidied herself, removing the dust from her robe before picking up her lantern and wooden staff. As she glanced at the only Goddess Statue in the rundown building, the girl gives a slight smile and bowed, then says, 

   "Thanks for, sheltering me, during the night." 

   And before she left, her eyes turned toward a room behind the altar. Her head tilted a little for brief moment, but keep quiet before departing as if it was nothing.

. . .

   A greyish clouds overcast the vast blue sky, and the sun is hiding high above. One may see it clearly; a gloomy atmosphere permeating through the famous Labyrinth City.

   'I haven't noticed it yesterday, but, this city really is filled with unpleasant emotions. . .' Alice thought to herself.

   It was presented in front of her eyes, and she doesn't like it the slightest. Not one bit, for her smile faded a little. Feeling both concerned and curious, Alice decided to take a stroll be by herself. 

". . . Let's take, a look around, shall we?" she muttered.

    Unfortunately, wherever and whenever she was, Alice saw the listlessness of ever person she met without having an ounce of smile on their face. Instead, she found anger, hatred burning through their face, despair and fear clouding their heart while sorrow binding their feet. But as unpleasant it was, Alice knew that she can't let it affect her. 

   But amidst her stroll, Alice noticed a single man whom staggered, hardly walking with the help of wall to support himself while clutching his stomach. And he was thin, too thin in fact that his arm is nothing but skin and bones, as one would think that the wind breeze is all it takes to drop the man to death. 

   . . . Alas, its not the wind who took him, but his own foot.

   "Hrk―!" he closed his eyes shut with panic. 

   It was the fear of death, knowing that his life may truly end the time his body hit the street. But as it happens, there is a feeling of resignation, for he had enough with his pitiful life.

   'So it be.' he thought, accepting his fate.

   Or so it should be, but instead, the death he had expected didn't come, as he realized someone catches him right before the fall.

   "Now that, was dangerous, wasn't it?" a soft voice resounded, while he was guided to sit by a small hand.

   "Tha-thanks." the man replied nervously. Unexpectedly, there is a tinge of regret knowing that he had managed to stay alive. Had he died, he will no longer need to endure living the harsh world. 'How sweet is that. . ?'

    But as he tried to take a closer look at the person who helped him, he turn into a statue. Petrified with eyes wide open―and of course metaphorically, because Gorgon isn't there.

   It was caused by the sight of his eyes; Strands of long silver hair swayed with wind breeze, shine not unlike the silk weaved by Spirit. But then he noticed a peculiar amount of bandages that has covered there and there, including half of her face which is quite bizarre. Still, it doesn't manage to suppress her looks, with skin soft and smooth akin to porcelain, as the girl childish young face staring at him with worry. It was a sight one would describe by these words; pure flower unblemished by the world, close but distant, charming but unapproachable.

· · ·

   While the man is still stunned on his own, Alice took a waterskin from her robe and offered it along with a piece of white bread to eat, and that successfully bring the man back to reality.

   At first, he hesitated, but thirst and hunger reflected in his thin body and cracked lips crushed it, as his hand moved against his will. He opened the water skin and gulped it eagerly―never in his thought that just a tasteless water felt so refreshing. And he had forgotten the taste of white bread for long. So long that the man forgot there's something like that. Looking at the plain white bread on his hand, it suddenly turned into a priceless treasure in his eyes. Contemplating for a moment, he tore it by half. Eating only a half and decide to save the other for later. 

   The sight of what the man does hit Alice to the heart; a melancholic smile is shown on her face. Who knows what kind of suffering the man had endured, until this day?

    ". . . Are you, feel better, now?" Alice asked. 

   And the man finally stopped after he realized that there is still someone with him. But he answered quickly, hiding the embarrassment for his rude behaviour.

   "I―yes, i was saved." he said with gratitude.

   Hearing that, a soft smile reappeared on her face as she let out relieved sigh. "That's glad, to hear." 

   A brief silence ensued by then, but not until the man decide to talk. "T-that. . . If i may know, what is your name, young miss?" 

   ". . . Alice." she said, while twirling the wooden staff in her grasp, before pausing for a little bit, and continue after looking at the man's condition, "Now, then, i would like, to ask for, a few questions. Would you answer, to clear, something that has, tangled in, my mind?"

    "Ah, ask away. But i might not be able to answer all of it." the man agreed quickly. It was a cheap price to pay for the food he had received. 

   "Very well. So, i saw that the city, is gloom as, everyone is. Why is that. . ?" 

   He frowned upon that question. A flash of terror managed to creep into his eyes, but disappeared as fast as it appeared. The man turns quiet, unsure how to answer, but eventually decided to let it out blunt, "It's, because of the lunatics from Evilus. . ." 

   There was poison in his words. Alice knows immediately that the man hate them to their guts.

   "Evilus. . ?" Alice frown while titling her head in confusion. Now that is an odd name.

   "A bunch of psychopath bastard." he said with a sigh. "They terrorize the entire city with their every moves for a long time. Now that Zeus and Hera Familia is gone, they're even more brazen with their action."

   "I see. Thank you, for answering." Alice said, then muttered, "Is the threats, beneath our feet, wasn't threatening enough, for us, to fight each other. . ?"

   This piece of information left her sigh in tiredness. 

   Back to the unkempt man, she then took something from her robe. Given by the state of his gaunt appearance, there is no doubt that he really need food more than anything, or the scene from earlier would happen again. 

   "The bag, is filled with, basic necessities to live." she said lightly. But as light as her words is, Alice continuous act of kindness managed to surprise the man. Except this time, he held his hand back. 

   "This. . . Miss Alice, this is too much isn't it?" As miserable his life might be, he is not someone without a sense of shame to keep on living by exploiting kindness of the other.

   "Never too much, for a life." she replied, and continue, "But i'll, give them, in exchange for, a single request, of mine."

   This time, the man wasn't surprised. Instead, he had thought that something is needed in exchange for what's given to him. "Rather than taking it for granted, i prefer it this way. So miss Alice, just say it out."

   'At least, he seems to be someone with integrity. What he'll do next is dependent on the heart of his. . .' Alice thought to herself, before voicing her request, "You ought to, share it, with other people, bearing the same, condition as yours. That is, the request of mine."

   "Yes. . ?"

   Looking at the unsure expression decorating his face, Alice then says patiently, "Should i, repeat them. . ?" 

   "T-that's unnecessary. . !" the man replied quickly. "But miss. . . Are you sure about giving what's yours for, practically nothing?"

   "I wasn't, as cruel, to joke around, about something, like this." Alice said with a troubled smile.

   Aware of his mistake, the man apologized quickly, "Ah, I'm sorry."

   Despite that, he had a question plaguing his thoughts, therefore he braved himself to ask. "Why. . ? Miss, What's your reason to do all of this?"

   He could understand that people tend to prioritize themselves over the other during such situations. He knew that really well, for he is one of the said example. That's why, such kindness is rare―if not gone, eaten by the demon in human skin.

   And perhaps because this wasn't the first time she had received such question, Alice brush it off with two words. 

   "Just because."

   "J-Just because. . ? Just. . . because. . ?" the man repeated her words again and again.

   Alice smiled quietly, giving no more answer. She then bowed a little to excuse herself, leaving the man on his own thoughts. And even until Alice's figure was no longer visible from his sight, he couldn't understand her simple answer. But looking at the bag fully filled with stuff given to him, he knows what he should do. 

   He just couldn't bear himself to disappoint someone who is overly kind like that.

· · ·

· · ·

   And finally, he realized that something wasn't right.

   ". . . Did she just take this out of her robe? This huge backpack. . ? he questioned himself with even more puzzled face.

❖ ❖ ❖

   With the day reached it's peak, Alice decided to take a rest, sitting on a random bench that happen to be there. 

   Now that she has sufficient understanding about Orario's general situation, Alice decide to plan her next move. After all, she is not someone who liked to waste precious time by doing nothing.

   Taking out a book along with Quill from her robe, Alice began to write down whatever she has in mind. '. . . There is few forces that i need to put attention to, because their movement would be a clue to what is about to happen. First, their top powerhouses.' 

   Her hand moved quick, scribbling letter by letter until it formed a word after another. Currently, there is two Familia that has been standing on the summit. Loki and Freya Familia. 'While they are focused on Dungeon expedition, the two are the most indispensable power to the city overall strength after Zeus and Hera Familia departure. 


   Next is the city guardians; Ganesha and Astraea Familia will be my priorities as they shouldn't be absent as long it involves people safety. Yet, i shouldn't overlook public sources like Guild and the residents. . .'

  But then, her hand suddenly stopped. 

'The matter is Orario hidden pieces. They are difficult to get a contact with based on my current position, including Evilus.'

   "Mhm. . , some will, have to wait, i suppose." Alice muttered to herself, before writing <Keep an eye for> in her book. "Now, to fix everyone, terrible condition. . ."

· · ·

❖ ❖ ❖

7