「Fragment II」The Scale of Justice
132 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Orario's current state was far from its former glory hailed as the center of the world. 

   The damage caused by Evilus was worse than she had expected, which contribute greatly to the present. And with only a pair of hands, Alice knows very well about the limits of what she could do to fix it. But she is not discouraged, and will never be. Beside, she is not alone, as there is also the Adventurers which tried to do their best for the city.

   But again, with her basically just a nameless in this place, her actions wouldn't have any significant ripple to change Orario conditions for the better, as one will never be enough to face many. 

   "I need, allies, to do my bid. . ." Alice muttered. 

   However, joining a well known Familia will only hinder myself. . . A brand-new Familia would do better. But, that kind of Familia is full of hardship. . . and finally, is there any that is aligned with my motives?

   Troubled by this, Alice let out a long sigh. This one may took much more time than it would be.

   But amidst her pondering, there is a sudden shout followed by people running away, mostly civilian.

   "Evilus is here!! Run! Run!"

   "Quick! Get away from here!"

   "―Adios."

   . . . An attack? Alice thought with a frown. But without anymore delay, she stood up, moving quickly toward the center of this chaos.

. . .

   "Perish."

   With a single word, a gleaming blade moved, cutting through bone and flesh like a butter. Blood spurted out along with innards of a man. His eyes widened as he held his stomach which was wide open. The light of his eyes turned dull quickly, before he fell to the ground. A life lost, just like that.

   But while the man has fallen, a young lady in kimono doesn't let her guard down. Only after confirming that there's no longer enemies to fight that she grumpily sighed in frustration. "Tch. They are so annoying."  

   "Agreed with that. How come they are so relentless? Its the tenth attack this month, and we have two more weeks. . . If this keep going on, i'll lost my good night sleep!" another girl with a red hair complained. "Ha-ah. . . Good thing that we ended it quickly this time."

   But then, there is a rebuttal from another girl with short stature―a Pallum with pink short hair. "No, silly Captain. Looking at the scale of this attack, they doesn't even try to win the fight." 

   Hearing that, the red haired Captain turned silent, pondering for a moment before her expression fell. "This. . . You are right, Lyra. This much shouldn't be enough to defeat us, and they should have known. . . Unless,"

   "―Unless defeating us wasn't their true purpose." Lyra connected. "They want to terrorize the entire Orario."

   With the Pallum girl finishing her sentences, everyone felt a chill on their backs. 

❖ ❖ ❖

   Looking at the dead bodies laying on the street, Alice turned grim. She had witnessed everything that happened on the very place. 

   So, they are Evilus? A lunatic indeed. . . using their comrade for a sacrificial pawns. . . But the other group, they should be the renowned Astraea Familia, along with their red haired captain―Alise Lovell. . .

   "Scarlet Harnel, yes? A fitting, name." Alice commented, slightly amused with her antics. 

   Turning back to the dead bodies, Alice fell into deep thoughts. It's not even the end of my second day. . .

   With the information she overheard from Astraea Familia earlier, it was quite obvious that Evilus attack is frequently happening. And if the analysis of the Pallum girl―Lyra is proved to be correct, Evilus has splendidly achieved their purpose of spreading terror. 

   Alice herself could imagine the disastrous consequences waiting for them if Evilus could not be stopped; Every person will lost their good night sleep just like Scarlet Harnel said, for the fear of dying in the hand of Evilus unpredictable movement, and fear will never lead to a good thing. Orario would be engulfed in chaos as people will distrust each other, and finally, many more problems will soon rise one after another. 

   The final outcome was nothing of a simple matter, as this city is not only the "Center of the World". 

   It's true purpose lay on being the first line of defense against monsters coming from their lair below. The fall of Orario would leave the world being overrun with monsters, just like how is it was one thousand of years ago.

   ". . . Goodness gracious, what I've, stepped into?" Alice muttered, already feeling the impending headache right on its way. Humanity is always full of trouble, isn't it. . ?

   But following the accident, there is another question that was plaguing her mind; How could all the Familias let Evilus ran rampart for years. 

   While each Familia and Gods has their own interest, Evilus should be a common enemy for all of them. That's why, it was quite puzzling from Alice perspective to see them move freely.

   Were they too reliant on Zeus and Hera Familia? Was Orario filled with a bunch of incompetent people?

   But Alice shook her head in the next second. ". . . I myself is, certainly not, the one to judge."

   Unknowingly, Ganesha Familia finally arrived to the scene, although most of the problems has been taken care of by Astrea Familia. Seeing that the two party discussing the aftermath, Alice concluded that her help was unnecessary and prepared to leave. But a moment after she turned around, she received a warm greeting in the form of a blade accompanied by ice cold voice.

   "Who are you?"

   Alice found someone looking at her with a sharp gaze. 

   A pointy ears of an Elf paired with golden-blonde long hair and eyes as clear as the blue sky. Alice knows straightaway that the elf in front of her has a beautiful face, even with half of her face hidden behind a mask.

   Now, that was surprising, Alice thought. Rather than feeling threatened by the blade, she was interested on how the Elf was able to find her, for she was sure that almost none of these people should. 

   The reason was rather simple―She has a full body enhancement that includes high level of Presence Concealment. Unless she took an initiative to reveal herself, the other shouldn't be able to.

   "Ryuu? What is it about?" 

   "Alise, while I was looking around, I found that this suspicious person has been secretly looking at us since the battle earlier."

   "This person is. . ? Now that was very rude to take a peek at the girls, don't you think?" Scarlet Harnel said, slightly frowning.

  ". . . I apologize for my rudeness." Alice said with a slight bow. 

  "Apology accepted." the red haired Captain responded shortly. "Now, can you introduce yourself?"

   ". . . Very well. I myself named, Alice; a nobody, without blessing." Alice answered.

   "A person. . . without blessing?" Ryuu expression turned worse quickly, clearly doesn't believe the words she heard. Feeling that Alice was fooling around, the Elf tightened her grip, pressing her sword forward. 

   "Tell us the truth―" Ryuu demanded.

   Just before her sword moved further, a soft voice called, "―Ryuu, lower your weapon, she was indeed telling the truth."

   "B-but, Mother Astraea!" The Elf herself refused to, however. Looking restless as she continued to stare Alice. But with a soft smile, as if saying that it was fine, from her Goddess, Ryuu finally obeyed, albeit reluctantly. 

   Alise on the other hand was much calmer. Because by the common sense, someone without Falna will never pose much of a threat to those with one.

· · ·

   After reassuring her children and sent them away on their respective task, Goddess Astraea went back to Alice that has been watching silently.

  "Ability to see the truth is quite convenient, isn't it?" Alice commented, taking the initiative to talk.

   "Perhaps, they are." Goddess Astraea replied. "Now, would you explain yourself?"

   But Alice could only shook her head in response. "All i can, tell is, that i myself has nothing, sort of malicious intent, toward any person, in Orario. 

   . . . Is that enough, to prove myself, Benevolent Goddess, of Justice?”

   "Not the expected answer, but it was indeed enough to clear our misunderstanding." Astrea answered with a warm smile. "Alice was it? First, i would like to apologize for me and my children."

   ". . . Worry not, Goddess. It was understandable, with the current situation." Alice replied, while glancing at the scene for a moment. "Everyone is, on the edge, is it not?"

   "Well, since you understand, Alice, i would like to know if there is any reason for you to come to this dangerous place." 

   ". . .Nothing." Alice shook her head again with a wry smile, while playing with the staff in her grip―akin to mischievous child who were caught red-handed. "Truly nothing, but an act, of impulse, i suppose."

   "That is something you should refrain from, no?" Goddess Astrea reminded. "Danger is not something to play with, especially knowing that you has no blessings. 

   But perhaps, you are new to Orario?"

   ". . . That's correct. It was, my second day, in this city. But, it seems, that this is, not the best, time to be here, isn't it?"

   "It certainly is." the Goddess replied, without hiding her sad expression. "It's better for you to leave, at least until everything calmed down."

   "That surely is, a good advice, Goddess Astraea, yet, i had to be against it." 

   "I see. . . Still, now that Orario is in a dangerous periods, I couldn't leave you on your own. So instead, how about joining my Familia?"

   That last sentence caught Alice off guard; Invited by the Goddess of Justice herself, a man and woman alike would certainly agree to join this Familia filled by people with kind heart. And with how dangerous Orario was with Evilus running around, joining a strong Familia will be the safest sanctuary. Alas, it was Alice, which is quite the anomaly herself.

  "My apologies, Goddess. . . I myself, have to refuse, that tempting offer."

   Alice's refusal was quite a surprise for Goddess Astraea. Afterall, How many people tried to join the well known Familia of Justice? The answer is to many to count.

   The Goddess couldn't help but ask while raising an eyebrow, "So hasty?"

   "Hasty it seems, I would like to, if not for, my own circumstances." Alice said apologetically.

❖ ❖ ❖

6