Vol. 3 CH. 3 – Unseen
211 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 3 CH. 3 - Unseen 

PART #1

8 trucks left the battleship Mordred. They carried supplies for the ground team while the rest were stored within Mordred. As for where those trucks were right now, they were hidden under the camouflage barrier erected by the Golem workers.

Right now, there were some knights looking where those large mysterious crates of iron had gone to. Since it was big, they thought it would be easy to find them.

However, there was no luck.

"It's no used, where did that thing go?"

One of the bribed knights grumbled. They searched the whole area near the castle as well as the ones outside. However, they couldn't find those trucks.

"Is this even worth it though? I've heard that those Demon Spawns are under that criminal Hero right? He's even Princess Lucinda's husband"

"Quiet. Everyone knows that the damned criminal hero only forced himself onto her Highness. They're only trying to make use of her Highness"

"But aren't those black armored guys there to protect her Highness? I've seen wandering around the castle earlier, they looked strong"

"It's only because of those armors. Now get back to work!"

The knights here were all bribed. The potential riches they could get by stealing those 8 trucks would go far beyond the capabilities of the kingdom to pay for. Those wheelless carts, they were made with a technology based on the hero's world. Surely, anyone would want to buy such thing. Even the things inside might be worth a fortune.

"Damn, there were those thin looking golems too right? I'm sure they are with those black iron crates"

The one leading the search was getting annoyed. Because those golems were too many to not stand out at all yet they couldn't find even a shadow if it.

There was no used in looking for them, they might have returned to that rumored airship in the sky. The leading knight sighed and stopped the search.

*Thunk*

"Huh?"

There was a metallic noise as he raised his right hand to signal to stop the search. As he turned around, he saw an iron bulk of armor standing behind him.

"!?"

It wasn't the trucks they were looking. It was one of those large golems that flew up in the sky....

"Shi—"

The man's words were cut off as the Magic Iron Knight, who was hiding within the shadows using the [Light Magic — «Light Bending] effect inscribed within its ability core, use its large fist to hit the man unconscious.

"What that?!"

"W-What is that?!"

The odd number of knights suddenly fell into panic. One by one, new Magic Iron Knights golem appeared in the shadows of the night. With one hit to the head, their targets were immediately neutralized. No one died, but they won't remember what happened once they wake up.

Once more, the Magic Iron Knight golems blended into the shadows. As though it was just a group of drunk soldiers passing out on a street, no one thought there wasn an abnormality within the area....

———

Because the Queen had returned back to health, the whole castle was bustling. However, her recovery wasn't announced yet to the public. This private celebration was a small one only for those closely involved.

Maids were running here and there, making the best of the day of the recovery of the Queen.

It had been a day after the Queen woke up. The night was still young and so, the staffs hurried to make a party. King Verdik allowed them to. However, he wasn't among the ones who were preparing the party venue.

Besides Lucinda, Mikoto, Niya, Rea and Lea, Nero, Kuro and the Queen, no one was inside this small room. Queen Isabella had been taken aback after hearing that her heir was having a child. The only problem was the person that got her pregnant.

The situation, well, it was complicated. Lucinda tried to explain as much as she could but the story was just that hard to understand.

Kuro even relayed his side of the story about Kyoushiro and Ambrosia but that only made things more complicated.

""Are you sure that this man of yours will properly take responsibility?"

It wasn't about whether Kyoushiro was a hero, a criminal or a king with two more women waiting on him, it was if he could tale responsibility. From what Queen Isabella understood about Kyoushiro, he was going through rough times. 

Well, hearing him killing a Demon Lord was impressive in itself.

"Don't worry mother, Kyoushiro-sama will take responsibility. He is just.... busy is all"

"You said he left to visit Paracellumn, are you sure he would not take any more women?"

"It depends mother. Kyoushiro-sama is very heroic after all"

*Cough!* Niya suddenly cleared her throat. While she does agree that Kyoushiro was a hero anyone could admire, it was hard to see women falling for such guy. Moreover, if he were to collect more women now, he won't be different from those nasty nobles.

Nero sighed at his sister's reaction. Kuro just quietly agreed with Lucinda while the two foxmen little girls were tilting their heads.

Was Kyoushiro such a man that was popular with women? Judging from his own conduct, it was hard to imagine. Though on the males' side, it was easy to see that he would rill in women one after the other.

"Niya?"

"My apologizes, Mikoto-sama"

Of course, Mikoto knew what made Niya act like so.

"Hmmm.... So even one of his servants doesn't like him?"

"No, it's not like I don't like his majesty. I just can't seem to like men who collects women"

Niya answered the curious question of Queen Isabella. Lucinda and Mikoto sighed.

While Niya was a minority, polygamy was pretty much normal in this world. Mikoto already accepted that Kyoushiro might have more than three wives but as someone from earth, she understand where Niya was getting at.

IIn the end, they just drop the topic since it was only Niya's personal opinion about Kyoushiro.

"For the meantime let's—"

Lucinda was about to say 'Let's have some dinner' however the door was knocked upon loudly. Kuro and Nero then took their battle stance. Rea and Lea both jumped to Lucinda's side. Mikoto summoned her familiar Ice Wolf and Niya pulled out a dagger out from her skirt and guarded Queen Isabella.

"Who's there?"

Kuro threateningly asked the person behind the door. However there was no answer. Kuro and Nero glanced at each other and nodded. Then they slowly approached the door until they reached the knob.

It was then....

"!?"

*Bam!* The door was kicked powerfully. Kuro and Nero jumped back immediately and pulled out their respective choice of weapons. A pair of sturdy black gauntlets and a long black spear.

"Kuro-sama!"

"Please stay with Mikoto-sama and the others!"

Kuro heightened his senses. His nose and ears, he was trying to pick up any noise or scent from whoever kicked open the door.

—What the.... there's nothing?—

Kuro grumbled as he couldn't find any trace of the mysterious attacker.

However...

"Commander! Duck!"

"Nuh!?"

Heading Nero's sudden warning, Kuro lowered his entire body and laid down on the ground. As he did, there was a loud sound of wind getting dragged by something.

"!?"

Kuro's ears perked up. He then immediately launch an attack with his sharpened iron claws in front of him.

*Uaagh.....*

There, with it's chest exposed, a skeleton wearing fog like robes was thrown back outside the room.

"What the..... was that a Wraith?"

"Commander, look"

The unknown enemy suddenly vanished into thin air. Kuro had definitely hit something as it thrown outside. Kuro didn't sensed anything right until it moved away. Nero must have noticed at as well when the Wraith had attacked Kuro.

The two didn't ease up their vigilance of the surrounding however, there was no follow up attacks. 

It was few minutes later that King Verdik came to the room with the maids.

PART #2

"I see.... a Wraith huh?"

Kuro had explained to King Verdik what happened before he arrived. And because the attacker was a Wraith, a type of ghost type or evil spirit like monster, there was no traces of it around.

But, that was the weirdest part of the attack.

"Wraiths are only found in tombs and places where many died right?"

"Yes, that's what I thought too"

Wraiths were a type of evil spirits. They attack using poltergeist or curses. Furthermore, they commonly seen in places of dungeons where undead spawns or places like cemeteries, abandoned churches or haunted castles or mansions. So long as the person died gruesomely and with a deep seething hatred towards his murder, the soul would become corrupt until it becomes and evil spirit.

However this castle was never haunted. Even if there some chinks in its long history.

"I'll have my men look into this later on, Kuro-dono. I thank you for protecting my wife and my daughter"

"That's my job anyway so I don't mind. Don't worry I'll contact the ones in Mordred and my men here to conduct a serious investigation"

"Understood. I'll tell the guards to help you with your job"

"Thanks"

King Verdik and Kuro shook hands before King Verdik ran over to his family's side. Kuro then approached Kuro, who was looking down at the spot where the Wraith disappeared.

"Did you find anything suspicious?"

"Yeah"

Nero stood up before replying to Kuro.

"It didn't have any weapon"

"What?"

Kuro didn't understand what Nero meant by that. Wasn't Kuro attacked earlier? Nero even warned him to duck after all.

"When it attacked you, you heard something brush over your head right?"

"Yeah, I thought it was either a sword or a scythe....Wait, does Wraiths even use physical weapons? They could only use poltergeist"

"That's right but....."

Nero looked back at the place where the Wraith disappeared. Normally physical attacks won't kill it but the one Kuro just attacked vanished. Moreover, it used some kind of weapon for its first attack.

It was odd since Wraiths were evil spirits, ghost of the dead who died gruesomely and seeks revenge.

Nero didn't like the smell of this ominous scent.

"Commander, I don't think it's best to remain in this place"

"Are you suggesting to return to the ship?"

"Preferably, for the sake of her Highness Lucinda-sama and her child"

The two then turned their heads to the inside of the room. King Verdik was with his wife and daughter. Watching that, it was obvious that Lucinda won't just leave her family while she hide herself from danger.

Kuro and Nero can already see how much Lucinda will get mad if they tell her to run away and hide.

"For the meantime, we'll have our men look into this. Most of them have keen sense of smell and those elves and dark elves are very sensitive to the air around them"

"Heh, I didn't you'd happily agree to King Verdik's proposition. You could have done it without needing his permission"

"Shut it. Master wouldn't like having Lucinda-sama exposed to any danger considering her current state. I'll use any means to uphold my duty"

"You're so uptight you know that?"

"Tsk. Just keep this quiet for now. I'll leave the guarding to you. I'll contact the bridge as well"

"Roger that"

Kuro was serious about guarding Lucinda. She was after all, Kyoushiro's first wife. What's more, she carries the child that has the blood of his master. Just imagining that child losing it's life because of his carelessness, Kuro couldn't imagine what kind of face Kyoushiro would show him.

It was Kyoushiro that appointed Kuro as a the High Commander of the Black army. There was no way he would let his master down just because of some attacks from ghosts.

Everything has it's weakness. It was only normal to seek the right tool to take advantage of that weakness. 

Kuro hears such words from Kyoushiro when he was planning to make his battleships.

—Weakness..... Right, it should Holy magic right? Let's see if those ghost can be dealt with using our prided Magic Iron Knights—

As Kuro walked down the dark hall, the cornee of his lips rose. This was one tricky situation. However, there was a way to deal with it. His master already made the right tools for the job, all that's left was the use it.

"Whoever you are.... don't dare look down on the defense corps of Aurelius"

It might be there that the first time Kuro was anticipating a good attack from the unknown enemy.

———

"Damn it, it looks like the sneak attack failed"

Inside a gloomy damp underground room somewhere within the city, a man wearing a black robe with a crest of sun with a skull inside, clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"I heard they came to the capital city using that massive metal airship. You didn't think they'd be that strong?"

"Shut up. We've been doing this for a while now. Who knew they could undo a curse we put on the Queen"

Cult of the Soul Eaters. They were a group of people that worships the Demon Lord Vraheim, the Soul Eater. Because Vraheim was an incarnation of death, those who worship him would be granted a right to avoid death itself. In other words, the cult grants immortality to those who worship the lord of the dead.

In addition, they were an extremist group that accepts jobs of assassination and cursing wealthy and powerful nobles for the sake of large money. Calling it 'donation' would be and understatement. They were practically asking for bars of gold in exchange.

"Casper, Rodes, Jill, can we get the curse back on the Queen?"

"No, it's completely gone right now Barth. We need to use another Wraith to stick inside the Life eater worm inside the Queen"

"Damn it. Just who are those guys?"

"There were those large golems too. Do you think they could detect our Wraiths?"

"Nonsense, what kind of golem could see an evil spirit?"

Barth was frustrated that some unknown visitors came by and helped the Queen. Princess Lucinda was with them their group wouldn't be that unimportant. Moreover, Jill had seen those large golems around the castle. While they were big and bulk, Barth and his group were sure that they wouldn't be able to see the invisible enemies infiltrating the castle.

It was still alright. They were still fine. The job can still be completed. Right now, they have the backing of a big time noble. There was nothing to be afraid of. As long as they continue to destroy the will of the citizens of Travestin, their job was still in progress.

"Tsk. I'll report this to that person. Make sure to find a way to sneak that parasite inside the Queen again"

"Alright, should we inform the others about the nuisances?"

"Yeah, it's best to tell them. We'll need the to gather more corpses for the next phase of the job"

"Understood"

Barth gave out orders. Casper and Rodes nodded back at Barth before disappearing walking to the right side of the wall. There, they went inside, a hidden staircase that leads further down into the sewers.

Jill was left.

"What should I do?"

"Just continue sending those Wraiths. You might get lucky and cursed the Queen yourself"

"Heh, that's one fun job. You sure you don't want to do it yourself?"

"Nah, knock yourself out. I need to report this to that person first"

"Alright. May death be with you"

"And to you"

Finishing their farewells, Barth left the underground room and went to the streets outside.

PART #3

"Royal Adviser Welmner. He was a proud member of the royal Court of Nobles that makes the laws of the Kingdom. Aside from his tendencies to side with those who will profit him greatly, he was a man with a great mind.

However, there was one single flaw.....

"Those Knights are a bunch of simpletons!"

He lacks the trait to judge the people he was bribing. The knights he hired to search for the 8 trucks filled with supplies have failed. They were all found sleeping in some corner of a street just this morning.

Also, they didn't remember anything about what happened last night. They all had achings heads and painful backache though.

"Aahh.... it really is frustrating to use worthless soldiers that only knows how to guard a gate. I need to find a way to take those large crates. Once I have them, I'll be able to rise in power once more and become the Prime Minister!"

The position of Prime Minister doesn't exist in Travestin. There was only the highest noble status of Duke. The position of Royal Adviser was merely that of a secretary at best in terms of earth's political ranks.

However, there were other countries in this world that had a Prime Minister in their nation. Though they are only so few in number.

"Anyways, I need more men. Should I call back Taiga-dono and ask for his assistance once more? No, that will only make me lose more profit since he'll just take everything for himself"

There were more ways than to rely on a boy that only has greed in his mind. Welmner have already seen the kind of person he was while Taiga was still in the capital city. Using his title as a hero and Welmner's position as Royal Adviser, the two of them used whatever means they have just to take whatever they want.

Right now, the Kingdom was suffering. There has been no signs of rain in every region. Though High-level mages and spellcasters help the farmlands using Advance level magic spells to make it rain, it was still wasn't enough as their demands kept on rising.

Water shortage was everywhere and reports of grain farms burning in some regions were coming in lately.

Welmner doesn't attend in the meetings and discussions but the Court of Nobles were still debating on what they would need to do right now.

The treasury wasn't infinite so supporting Taiga's current siege in the domain of the First Demon Lord was hard. In addition, the commoners were asking for help since monsters were destroying villages here and there.

Travestin was in a total chaos right now.

—That is one of the reasons why I need to leave—

Welmner had sent a letter to Princess Lucinda to call her back. Using the current state of her Highness Queen Isabella Welmner thought that he might be able to make Lucinda take the blame for the incompetence of the royal family. After all, she was an acting ruler that abandoned her throne for a month just for the sake of a criminal.

"Wait a minute....."

Welmner suddenly realized something. For whatever reason, his face was growing pale. It was as if, he had remembered something terrifying.

"I don't recall anything about what I've written....."

His heartbeat rose audibly, and cold sweat was pouring out of his skin.

There was something, yet he didn't quite recall. He did wrote a letter but, he doesn't recall what he have written. Furthermore, the face of the person he hired as a messenger were blurry.

It was as if, something had tampered with his mind, erasing some crucial pieces about how and what the letter was about.

"Huh? Then why did I sound so confident back there?"

Welmner was talking about the entrance of Princess Lucinda yesterday. He, himself, have said that he had used a connection with a friend to deliver a letter. But thinking about it now, he didn't know anyone so brave enough to travel to the wasteland on foot.

That'd be either an idiot or a suicidal buffoon. 

"Kh....."

The more Welmner was recalling, the more his heart beat erratically. It was like he was having a panic attack. Fear slowly encroached his mind, binding him in a tight grasp. Then, as if a switch was flipped, Welmner's trembling suddenly stopped.

"......."

His face was blank, his eyes were dead and his breathing stopped. 

Inside a closed room in his mansion, Welmner had stopped breathing while standing.

"He.... woke up.... how... troubling"

It was then, pitch black smoke emerged from Welmner's body. The smoke formed a thin bone like figure. Sinister red flashes of blue cold light was flickering within the unstable black smoke.

A pair of bony hands emerged from the smoke and held Welmner's head.

"Forget..... Forget everything..... You'll soon.... have your wish"

A cold whisper. Like freezing air touching upon one's skin. Slowly, sinking deep into his soul, the words that the being had whispered in Welmner's head.

"My.... wish....."

The desire Welmner had been hiding. The thing his heart most desired. The crown.... throne..... Travestin.....

"Now sleep......"

"......Yes..."

Trapped within a dream. His mind slowly resets back to how it was earlier. Welmner's eyes suddenly snaps back to reality but just like a puppet with no strings, he fell down on the floor.

The smoke rising within his body slowly enters back inside.....

"Until.... the child.... is mine...."

Unknown to whatever it was that spoke, the words it said was left unheard inside a quiet desolate room in a mansion that lacks it's servants.

The 13th Demon Lord, the Soul Eater Vraheim was slowly making his move.....

4