Vol. 3 Ch. 4 – Returning the Favor
359 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 3 CH. 4 - Returning the favor

PART #1

Queen Isabella had recovered, the royal family had finally officially announced the comeback of the Queen. It was three days after the incident. Because no one knew who tried to attack Kuro and the others, the investigation still didn't have any progress. And since the thing that attack was a Wraith, it was impossible to determine who sent it.

So since there was no use in trying to find an evil spirit, King Verdik decided to announce the return of Queen Isabella. That truth was that, it was Lucinda that was acting the Queen while Queen Isabella was recuperating from her sickness.

In addition to the great news, King Verdik also publicly introduced Kuro and the others. That they came to Travestin to guard Lucinda during their trip on the way to the Kingdom.

Naturally, the appearance of Demon Spawns in the city caused an outrage. Because standing close to the Royal family was those disgusting races who were born from the Demon God Afvritze.

However, no one reacted violently. Because they could see a giant iron airship was just hovering above the castle. It wasn't from the Royal family, it was the one Kuro and the others used.

So this was the problem.

Aside from the hiding Magic Iron Knights, the golem workers were present during the announcement. The thin humanoid shape golems with no faces. They weren't something delightful to see.

Their figures was that of humans. But the appearance alone wasn't something good for night's sleep. It was the stuff of nightmares for anybody.

Those faceless golems. There were under Kuro's command. Though the captain was given the right as well, it was Kuro that was controlling them directly.

And so, upon Lucinda's request, Kuro made them move. Because the kingdom walls were in a poor condition, Lucinda had Kuro order the Worker golems to fix the walls.

This was only for the sake of not letting the golems be seen as a threat. There was already the Magic Iron Knights so Kuro didn't mind using the Worker golems for Lucinda. She was, after all, none other that Kyoushiro's first wife.

Then after the announcement, the next tasks were up to Queen Isabella to do. Since everyone else were guests, there was nothing else for Kuro and the others to do.

Lucinda and Mikoto are together always and since Niya and the two kids, Rea and Lea were standing on guard as well, Kuro and Nero didn't need to stay with them.

So while there was nothing but peace for the moment, Kuro and Nero remained on standby.

"Hey Commander, shouldn't we at least let the Mordred land? It's been flying around for four days straight now"

Nero was overseeing the training of the Black Army unit that Kuro brought along with the said person. However, unlike Kuro who was properly instructing his men, Nero was just laying on the ground while yawning.

"There's nothing to land in"

"Then why not just make it?"

"Do you think the people here will let us make a Sky port for Mordred? Of course not"

They were in a human land where guys like Kuro and Nero weren't very well like because of the color of their hair and eyes. It wouldn't be surprising if one or two mobs would come and chase them out of the city for trying to make a building near their city.

Kuro could already see some Knights scowling at his men in training. 

"Even if we get permission, I don't want Mordred to be boarded by any of those guys"

"Hmmm...."

Kuro pointed at the soldiers watching the Elf and Dark elf female soldiers. The women in Kuro's unit were still from a race where they stay eternally beautiful. While dark elves receives the poorest of reception in human settlements because of their color they were still on par with the elves in terms of beauty.

It was obvious that even the Knights in the castle were practically slobbering at the sight of beautiful women sweating in training.

Nero sighed as he too agreed with Kuro. But well, it was unavoidable since men were still men.

"The girls on our side get leered at often. Shouldn't you do something about that? Commander Lyonn?"

"Tsk, it's Kuro. And for the record, my men are high-leveled so even if one or two of those idiots comes and attacks then, it'd be their funeral"

"Scary..... I suppose his Majesty is very thorough in telling everyone to increase their levels. Plus, added by our equipment, we're at least at the same power level as Heroes in their middle stages"

Kyoushiro had instructed everyone to raise their levels as high as possible to use the equipment. Since enchanted armors requires still to use, it would be hard for a low level person to use them.

Nero was over level 200 while Kuro was around 300 at most. Their stats were boosted by the enchanted armors and magic artifacts so they were on par with the heroes with levels between 400 and 600.

"Come to think of it, his Majesty forced our level caps to rise. How did he do that? I still don't understand how"

"Do you think I would know?"

"Well, aren't you his right hand man?"

Nero was trying to probe Kuro. Since Kuro sees himself as Kyoushiro's, the Black King's right hand man, there was no way he wouldn't know something that Kyoushiro had done himself.

However, Kuro has no idea on how the level caps were raised. Right now, the level caps in Ambrosia were around level 350, at most, while the most common level caps were only 100 for humans and 120 to 160 for the rest of the races.

It was as if that the people who follows Kyoushiro receives some sort of miracle.

"Ngh.... it's frustrating to say but I have no clue"

"Eh? I thought his Majesty trust you?"

"Quiet you! Our Black King appointed me as the high commander of the Black Army!"

"I wasn't talking about that but well.... whatever"

 No one knows why but the level caps in Ambrosia rose quite a bit. Well, thinking about it wasn't important.  ero was just trying to have a small talk with Kuro. The Commander was just that serious so Nero attempted to at least cheer him up a bit. But Kuro didn't seem to have needed it.

As today was peaceful, there was no need for the Black Army unit to mobilized today.

PART #2

"Now that I've return, I want to know exactly what is happening to our kingdom"

Queen Isabella had returned to work. Currently, she was present inside the throne room where all the members of the Court of Nobles were present as well. King Verdik, as well as Lucinda occupied the two seats on both sides of the throne. Niya was standing behind Lucinda while Rea and Lea were at the Lucinda's side.

This was the throne room where most of the nobles voiced out their concerns and discussed future implementation of strategies to better the kingdom itself. This was also the place where the Queen receives the guest where they would have a small exchange of dialogue about their exchange between Travestin and other countries. Of course, this is where celebrations of bestowing nobility and rewards are also performed.

Because of that, it was made bigger to house large audiences. Although, there was a separate room for court discussions to be made Queen Isabella specifically called all the nobles present in the main capital in order to discuss the current conditions of the country.

King Verdik had already gave her the rundown of things but even she couldn't understand why there hasn't been any actions sought for the improvement of the current situation.

Thus, she decided to hold a meeting where all the members of the Court of Nobles are forced to come.

"As I've heard from the report that was given to me, it seems we are suffering greatly from food shortage due to drought, increase in banditry due to small villages being destroyed by monsters and losing our lands to those monsters"

The areas where food were abundant were mostly the places where monsters attack the most. There haven't been much rain lately so the wells were slowly drying up. Redirecting rivers could solve the shortage of water for the farmlands but with monsters running rampant lately, it was hard to move the engineers to build an irrigation for the farmlands.

In addition to monsters, there was also the bandits rising in numbers lately. Simply sending some men outside the city without proper guards would just end up making losses for the kingdom.

"Royal Adviser, how come there has yet to be done about these problems? Surely, there is enough money in our treasury to fund the hiring of adventurers and mobilizing small troops"

"Y-Your Majesty..... You see...."

Welmner explained as to why the conditions of the regions outside the capital haven't improved yet.

"A-And since the hero Taiga-sama needed some financial support and men for his expedition....."

"So you allowed to use 75% of the kingdom's assets to be used by that hero? Not knowing that we might need them in the future?"

"Y-Yes...ah, no I"

"Enough"

Queen Isabella held her temple with her hand. She was only suffering from migraine listening to Welmner's boorish reasons.

Using the money intended for the kingdom to fund one massive expedition by a hero that wasn't even giving out any results. If funding Taiga would yield tremendous rewards after their war within the domain of the first Demon Lord, then Queen Isabella wouldn't be getting angry.

However, it has been two months since Taiga left with half of the kingdom's troops and there was yet any report of their victory.

—If the first Demon Lord was active, I wouldn't have mind but there wasn't even any reports that he have been fighting among the other Demon Lord for power—

Queen Isabella just couldn't comprehend what was going inside the mind of the hero that went and invaded the lands of the 1st Demon Lord.

The kingdom only lost so much money. Painfully even.

"Y-Your Majesty?"

The silence of Queen Isabella caused the nobles to be stricken with fear. They don't know what was going on inside the Queen's mind. However, out of everyone here in the room, it was only her that cared for Travestin so much.

"I've heard that one hero was sent to the wasteland under the pretense of receiving punishment for endangering the lives of the other heroes"

"Y-Yes! I, Welmner, judged that vile Demon Spawn myself! It was because he attempted to kill the other heroes in order to be the only hero left!!"

"I see.... And? What was the reason for taking all of his items, he personally made and handed then to the other heroes?"

"I-It was reparations your Majesty! I made sure he have paid for the crime he had done!"

Welmner was answering honestly. The thoughts he had for punishing Kyoushiro and taking away his items. What's more, torturing him before sending him to his death to the Wasteland.

Under the impression of having done a good deed, Welmner didn't shirk on providing the information he has on Kyoushiro.

"That Demon Spawn was brought among the heroes as a soy for the Demon God! He was trying to make things in order to kill the heroes.... He even planned on having them trapped in the Dungeon!!"

"......."

"A-Also, he has no position in any of the other heroes! He was just and extra bagge! An incompetent, worthless Demon Spawn!!"

"Kh...." Lucinda groaned as she tried to stop herself from firing a spell at Welmner. Hearing the Royal Adviser insult the man she loves like that, condemning him as a criminal for some ridiculous crime and branding him as worthless and incompetent, there was so much that Lucinda could endure.

However, she need to stay calm. Because Rea and Lea themselves were holding themselves back from attacking Welmner for his insolent words against their savior.

The Queen merely listened. She was looking down on Welmner as she watched him act like some desperate mutt wanting to be praised.

"If you so wished, I will order out soldier to apprehend those disgusting Demon Spawns there and seize all they have! Please give me the order! I shall present you that airship they brought along with them!"

"........"

—I see..... so Welmner had lost himself to greed huh? What an utter fool—

Queen Isabella sighed. It was disappointing but it seems that the Royal Adviser had lost his touch in the ways of politics. This should have been the time where he would come up with a lie to preserve his standing as the Royal Adviser but instead, he was asking to be ordered to seize everything Kuro and the other brought with them.

Royal Adviser. That was a job that was only meant to ease the work load of the ruler in times where they are unable to come up with a decision. Furthermore, they would act like a secretary for the ruler in order to aid them in making fair judgement.

However right now, Welmner was just wagging his tail like a dog; waiting for his master to toss him a treat.

"Royal Adviser-dono"

"Yes?!  What is it, your Majesty?"

With eyes shining in delight, Welmner bowed his head to Queen Isabella while waiting for orders.

"Who was the one that made that airship?"

"P-Pardon?"

"I've heard, directly from my daughter, Lucinda, that it was none other than that hero you so shamefully call a criminal that it was he that created that airship outside our city"

"......."

"Not only that, those golems, the weapons and armors as well as rebuilding a whole city in a short period of time"

"........"

"Tell me, who was the idiot who let go of such hero that could make such things and now asking to be ordered to seize those amazing creations of the so called criminal you speak of?"

"......I...."

"Tell me, Royal Adviser-dono"

"......."

"Who gave you the right to decide which hero was useful to kingdom and who is not, and make an enemy of such hero?"

"....Y-Your Majesty.... I... I was merely...."

"Merely what?"

It was there that Welmner realized his error. He had sided with Taiga to make Kyoushiro lose everything he has in order to make Taiga the strongest hero. No, it might be even far from that.

The mistake he made from the start was over stepping his bounds. King Verdik might have been force to make a decision but overall it was the Court of Nobles that wanted Kyoushiro to disappear. Furthermore, it was Welmner that spearheaded this decision, providing further  claims that Kyoushiro wasn't needed as a hero.

Now, that hero he chased off became a King of the land where he was sent to die. He made those giant golems and those humanoid golems as well as that gigantic airship outside the castle right now.

Welmner couldn't retort. Because the decision he made was the very thing that caused this situation.

"......"

Then when Welmner turned around, the allies he had that day, were keeping silent for their own safety. They did not dared to speak as they would only be added along Welmner that chose wrongly.

It was there that he saw the faces of those he bribed with money, in order to take his side.....

They were laughing at him.

"You have witnessed it yourself and know that the items that Kyoushiro Kagami-sama made were of high caliber compared to ones our very own craftsmen have made"

This time, it was Lucinda that spoke. Her eyes enraged at the fact her beloved's name was being besmirched like that.

"The two swords that the hero Taiga-sama has been using, was it not the pair of swords Kyoushiro-sama he himself crafted?"

"Y-Yes... that is true but—"

"Yet you blinded your own eyes with greed. Your decision of which hero was useful to the kingdom—no, to yourself, has caused you to misjudged the real hero that should have stayed in our kingdom"

It was infuriating. That after all this time, this was only opportunity that allowed Lucinda to take Kyoushiro's side. If only she had done this before, then Kyoushiro would have stayed the same.....

Not with those cold piercing glare but that calm and soothing eyes she saw the very first time. The bravery and wisdom, instead of the cruelty and vengeance. Kyoushiro wouldn't have changed so wrongly if only Lucinda defended him soon.

"For allowing those lies to become the truth, for letting yourselves be satisfied because of your own views..... You—no, all of you are failures as part of the Court of Nobles"

With those words, every noble present showed anger in their faces. The Marquises, the Margraves, the Earls, the Counts, the Viscounts and the Barons.....they all had their prides and names stepped on by Lucinda.

"Fufufu....."

In such scene, Queen Isabella chuckled softly. Oh how much her daughter have grown after such long time. While she herself was asleep, Lucinda was experiencing many things in life she had only felt for the first time.

Because of that, she was able to give right judgement to all. Without calling out names nor giving out punishments, she was saving the rightful name of the Royal family.

Although on a different angle, Lucinda has still have much to learn. But, Queen Isabella was satisfied for now.

"All of you have heard the words of your next Queen. Now then, shall we begin discussing how will settle the situation of our country?"

Queen Isabella cut the scolding right there and then. Since Lucinda herself had settled down, it wouldn't be progressive if everyone hears were only complaints.

Right, there were much more pressing issues.

"How many of our lands are currently occupied by monsters?"

Queen Isabella asked this to everyone as they all know the current situation of their own regions and lands.

One raised his hand and answered. He was a noble of a Count rank.

"The ones in the northern regions.... 30% were lost due to rampaging monsters. 15% on the south, 10% on the east while 40% on the west"

"That's quite a lot. What happened?"

"According to the last report of the Adventurer guild, it seems that multiple dungeons overflowed at once while the ones on the north, east and south regions were merely monsters that were chased out of their habitats"

Base on the information at hand, apparently there was a large amount of Adventurers that moved to the Dukedom on the the southeast region. That was because the heroes were doing whatever they want in Travestin while they were still in training.

Due to that, the amount of Adventurers in the capital city decreased and the result of was the inability to perform extermination quests to those affected regions.

"Hmmm.... what about the rise in banditry? Were then not enough aid from us that the affected citizens resorted to such heinous job?"

"W-Well...."

Everyone were stuttering. They were trying to avoid looking at Queen Isabella as they all knew the reason. That it wasn't just the monsters or the drought but something else as well.

"Well what? Answer immediately. We need to address this situation as fast as possible and create plans to completely resolve our current crisis"

"Y-Your Majesty...."

Welmner raised his hand and was the one that answered the Queen.

"What is it Royal Adviser? I have yet to decided what to do with you since there are more concerning matters than your punishment"

"Ugh.....uh well, you see...."

"Answer immediately"

Welmner was trying to think of a way to answer where he wouldn't lose anymore face in front of the nobles and the Queen. However, as much as he could, he couldn't come up with any excuse.....

"May I answer that, your Majesty"

".....You are...."

A man clad in silver armor came. He was a wild looking man with lime green spiky hair swept to the back and amber colored eyes. It seems one of his arms was gone but in it's place was an artificial arm that glistened together with his silver armor.

He was the one that witnessed Kyoushiro's strength and was saved by him. Not only that, he had seen the heroes in training while they were still in Travestin.

He was none other than Gaius Kalbern Zeios. The strongest Knight commander of the Travestin Kingdom.

———

"You!!"

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Lord Welmner"

Gaius have appeared in the throne room. Not only that, behind him were soldiers that came along with his whims and were away due to suppressing the amount of damages caused by the monsters.

Welmner on the other hand, paled as he had seen Gaius once again after a long time.

"I thought you have joined Shizuka-sama in Seifield?!"

"Unfortunately, there are things I could not leave alone and ended up staying. Like the messes you and that hero caused"

"Kh!?"

Gaius returned with a proud smile on his face. He ignored the teeth-grinding idiot glaring at him and kneeled down before Queen Isabella.

"I apologize for my late greetings your Highness, but I congratulate you on your recovery"

"Thank you, but may I know where have you been this entire time? Moreover, those soldiers behind you are covered in scars...."

"I'm sorry for our inappropriate state but just I have said earlier, I was away cleaning up the messes the hero Taiga and the Royal Adviser have left"

Standing up, Gaius took a deep breath and told current state of the entirety of the country.

"The villages that were forced to give up their daughters in exchange for the high taxes the government have been collecting, the citizens that were unfortunate enough to earn the irk of the Hero Taiga and his party and ended up getting punished horribly, the large extortion of money from businesses and the weapons and armor shops getting looted in the name of the hero Taiga..... I have been trying to suppress the raging anger of the affected people to prevent an insurrection"

"What....?"

"Unfortunately, I have failed to suppress them any longer"

Gaius ignored the Queen when she had reacted at his report. He then nodded his head at one soldier behind him and had that soldier handed a bundle of paper—reports of the incidents caused by Taiga and his party. That also included the names of the nobles who supported those acts.

As soon as Queen Isabella had read the contents of the report, her face distorted into rage.

"How could you!? All of you!!"

Her voice reverberated and echoed inside the throne room. With her face burning red, Queen Isabella tossed the report down at her feet.

"What is with those numbers of deaths?! The money you all took forcibly from our own people.... how could you all do all such fiendish things!!?"

There were a number of citizens currently sent to a rehabilitation facility to heal their wounds. Some were in a state between life and death and some were either burned or had gotten their limbs or fingers cut just because they talk back at Taiga and his party.

The small party that consisted, even the name of the Queen's own daughter, as well as four other members that joined under Taiga, had all participated in doing those cruel tasks.

Multiple casualties involving innocent citizens in fist fight in bars and brothels. High numbers of women that were either forced or paid to entertain the members of Taiga's party. The weapons and armors taken by forced under the name of saving the world, as well as taking over villages that refused to pay taxes for the government and having their young women taken away as payment.

Unfortunately, none of the women nor the injured citizens could return to their homes. Because almost anyone that encounters Taiga and his party were either hurt or coldly killed.

"Zeios-dono, why have this not reach my ears?"

"Unfortunately, we could not do anything as we hid ourselves until Taiga and his party left. However, if it weren't for Lucinda-sama's aid, me and my men might have been forced to join Taiga in the 1st Demon Lord's domain"

Gaius bowed at Lucinda. Because it was only Gaius that tried to help Kyoushiro during his forced trial, Lucinda trusted Gaius enough to ask for his help. Naturally, Gaius knows who was asking for information about Taiga and the other heroes.

"No, you have also been a great help to me, Gaius-sama"

"In order to help the person that save my life, that job wasn't enough to repay him"

Gaius was thankful that Kyoushiro helped him when they were trapped in that Monster house. If it weren't for him coming to their aid, everyone would have die.

A small sad smile showed on Gaius scar filled face.

"Your Highness, please allow me to relay the current situation brewing outside the city"

"I shall allow it. In the meantime, all of you!"

Queen Isabella turned to the nobles who were slowly inching way from the Queen. They trying to escape before they would be arrested. Naturally, if was only those that knew their names were listed in the report Gaius have.

The moment Queen Isabella shouted, the nobles stopped moving.

"Everyone of you, I won't allow anyone who's name is involved in the evil acts the hero named Taiga Kurosawa, get away with your crimes. Gaius, I'll those nobles who's name you've written in the report sent to the dungeon. Seize their assests as well, it'll be used in repaying those poor victims of their crimes"

"Yes! As you wish! Men! seize them!"

As soon as Gaius gave the order, the throne room was thrown into a chaotic arrest of nobles. With no intention of fighting right before their Queen to save the only pride they have left, the involved nobles were taken to the dungeon.

Obviously, even Welmner, the Royal Adviser, wasn't spared.....

6