Chapter 3: Dropping Acid
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EVERYTHING was going wrong, and it was all connected to Kai Allred. I hadn’t even realized we were in the same class, and it was nearly the end of the school year! And of course, I had to bump into him while I had an ACIDIC solution in my hand. And of course, I got a fright, jumped, and spilled the damn thing all over myself. How could I not? He nearly choked me on fucking pecan pie, and I still had no idea why. Time seemed like a thick Jello as I watched Mrs. Hills shout at everyone to get out and point me toward the emergency showers. Kai stood there like a deflated balloon with a sad puppyish look on his face.

Why was he sniveling with worry? I was the one getting my skin corroded by whatever was in that beaker. Mrs. Hills finally yanked his arm, prompting the trembling giant to miserably plod his way out the door. Meanwhile, I went over to the vintage showerhead, frowned slightly at its peeling red paint, and tugged down hard on its ancient chain. I closed my eyes as I was doused by water for the second time that day.

In the end, everything turned out okay. Luckily, Daria and I had already diluted the solution, so I hadn’t been splashed by anything too strong. My body was fine. My clothes, on the other hand, were soaking and permanently stained. Good thing I had worn my least favorite shirt. Mrs. Hills tried to continue class while the school nurse checked me out in the hallway.

“Besides some slight skin irritation, you look fine Faletau.”

The nurse was also our sports physio, and anyone who knew me through sports tended to call me by my last name.

“Thanks, Ms. Burns.”

The nurse nodded, “If you get any strange rash or any other symptoms, be sure to go to the hospital.”

“I’ll keep an eye out.”

The nurse eyed my sopping clothes.

“They have extra clothes at the office. We keep them on hand for dress code violators.”

I gave her a tight smile, “I’m not sure they’d have anything in my size.”

“You are pretty tall,” she said kindly.

“It’s alright, I have practice in half an hour. I might try to dry off a little and then change back into my uniform.”

“Okay, well I’ll leave you to it,” she waved me goodbye and headed out the door back to the main school building.

I growled and headed into the boy’s bathroom. I was grabbing fistfuls of paper towels and pressing them against the dripping portions of my shirt when I heard the creak of the door. I really didn’t want some random stranger to see me like this. Or worse, someone I knew.

When I looked in the mirror, I made eye contact with THE WORST scenario.

“Hey,” Kai raised his hand shyly. I had to clench my jaw firmly to stop myself from groaning. I didn’t even attempt to talk to him and continued sponging myself off with crumpled paper towels.

“Um, you can use this.”

Kai passed me a thick sweat towel. I had to admit, even it if was coming from Kai, a sweat towel was actually useful.

“Thanks,” I said glumly.

“Do you need a dry shirt?” Kai asked.

“Is your name Captain Obvious?” I let my bitterness get the best of me.

Kai laughed, a low pleasant sound.

“Hey, so, I think we wear the same size? So, uh…” Kai suddenly grasped the end of his shirt and pulled it over his head, exposing the chiseled lines of his statuesque body.

What was it with me and this guy and partial nudity? It was becoming a terrifying pattern.

Kai passed me the shirt, “I don’t think it’s too sweaty or anything.”

I looked at the black tee hesitantly, “I don’t know. I don’t want to stretch it out or anything.”

“At least try it on.”

“Um, okay.”

We stood there for a second.

“Sorry, can I squeeze by you to get to the stall?”

“The stall?” Kai looked at me with a bewildered expression.

“To change clothes? I’m going to change. In the stall,” I pointed at the private cubicles.

“Oh, ohhhh,” Kai realized and then stepped back to let me through. Was Kai hoping I’d change in front of him? Not that I was super sensitive about changing in front of another dude, but it felt weird considering what had happened earlier.

Kai’s sweat towel made quick work of any remaining liquid on my body. I squeezed out my shirt over the toilet, making sure to wipe down the seat before hanging it over the stall partition. I took Kai’s t-shirt off the stall hook and looked at it dubiously.

“Does it fit?” Kai asked over the stall door. His feet had only drawn closer to my stall as I had been cleaning myself up. I shuffled the shirt on and opened the door. Surprised, Kai stumbled and crashed into my chest. I caught him by the shoulders.

“Sorry,” he breathed, looking up at me.

Was he blushing?

“Wanna straighten your legs?” I asked as I pushed him up and out of my moobs.

“Oh, yeah,” he unbent his knees and was restored to looming above my six feet at his six-foot seven height.

“Looks good,” he scanned me up and down, biting his lip. I glanced in the mirror. He actually wasn’t wrong. It was a bit long on me, but it fit fine. It might not have had the cool bagginess it had on Kai, but at least I didn’t look like some frightening creature who’d just crawled out of the Black Lagoon.

“Is this a Tyler the Creator shirt?” I noted the neon blue design.

“Yeah, for the Igor album tour.”

My eyes widened, “You went to his concert?!”

“My uncle did, he lives in San Francisco. He bought me the shirt cuz he knows I love Tyler.”

“The production on his tracks is always top tier. I love Answer by him.”

“IFHY is a good one too.”

I raised my eyebrow, “That’s a dark song man.”

“Yeah, but you gotta admit Pharrell Williams vocals on that…”

“They’re hella smooth, you’re right.”

“I’m in looooovvve,” Kai started to sing in a skillful falsetto.

“Okay, okay Mr. Pharrell,” I teased.

That made Kai’s abs ripple with laughter. Just then, the 2:15 bell rang.

“Class is over, guess we better go grab our bags,” Kai said.

“I just hope we didn’t have to do anything more for the lab assignment,” I grimaced.

It felt a bit unreal to have a normal conversation with Kai after all the strange vibes earlier. He didn’t seem like such a bad guy after all. After all, he was a fan of the one and only Tyler.

Right before we went out the door Kai turned to me.

“Hey, about the whole pie thing…I’m really sorry. My intrusive thoughts just kinda spun out of control.”

It was a terrible excuse, but I got the feeling there was something going on with Kai. Something he couldn’t explain well. I gave Kai a long stare. And then I punched him. Lightly, but hard enough to make him suck in his breath from where I’d socked him in the stomach.

“I forgive you,” I said piously, “Just know next time you pull something like that I’ll punch you for real.”

Kai rubbed the sore spot on his stomach.

“I think it’s gonna leave a bruise,” his eyes winced while his mouth formed a stupid grin.

“Good,” I laughed. I opened the door, and we went out into the hall. Kids were streaming by everyone eager to get home. A few guys whistled at Kai while girls just ogled him.

“Um, what are you going to do about...” I used my eyes to highlight his nude chest.

“I have spare clothes in my football locker. I have practice now anyways.”

I nodded.

Just then, Daria came up.

“Hey, I finished the lab and turned it in, so you don’t have to turn it in,” she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, focusing her eyes only on me.

“Thanks, Daria, you’re a lifesaver,” I said, relieved I wouldn’t have to come in early to make up the assignment because of my little mishap.

“Here’s your bag. The rest of the guys and I were planning on some D&D this weekend. Talk more about tomorrow at lunch?”

“Sounds good,” I nodded.

“Kay, see you later sport,” Daria gave me a goofy salute. She glared at Kai as she passed. I couldn’t see Kai’s expression. Just then one of the football boys came up with Kai’s bag.

“Looks like my caddy is here,” Kai smiled at me.

“Your caddy?” I raised a brow.

“My name is Jake, and next time grab your own bag, you flasher!” the large Nordic blonde shoved the bag against Kai’s chest. Kai put his arms through the straps, wearing the bag on his front.

“Look, a makeshift shirt!” Kai presented himself to me. I shook my head along with Jake.

“Okay, Mr. Trendsetter, let’s get to practice,” Jake reached a large arm around Kai’s bare shoulders.

“Wait a minute,” Kai looked at me, “You’re heading to the field, right?”

Technically, I was heading to our running track where my team tended to meet at the beginning of practice. It just so happened that our track also encircled the school football field.

“Yeah, I am. Just for the beginning of practice.”

“Let’s go together then,” Kai was quick to grab my wrist. I noted that his hands were slightly smaller than mine, barely able to close around my thick wrist.

“Alright,” I shrugged, allowing myself to be tugged to Kai’s side.

“Alrrriiiiigght,” Kai yahooed, putting a comfortable arm around my shoulders. Kai kept me tucked next to his side the entire way to the field.

0