Chapter 46: A Grand Game (3)
401 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---

"The racing is the reward, not the stuff!"

- Lightning McQueen, (Cars)

---

<(Atem POV)>  

"Look, Reed, I get it, you are an amazing scientist who can invent antigravity skateboards with just trash, but designing a car is not as easy as you think it is. Believe me, I know I am a car enthusiast. And even if I tell you all the details, designs, and specifications of the best cars in the world, you still won't be able to complete it by tomorrow since we don't even have access to a single of the car parts we need.

Plus, we have no idea what these aliens' race cars can do. What if they have teleporting cars or cars that move faster than light? We are going to look like idiots if they teleport to the finish line where our car travels at 300 miles per hour (482 km per hour)." Johnny sounded like he was in despair as he held his head in his palms, looking like he was having a headache.

After hearing about the possibility of having powers, the guy seemed strangely obsessed with teleportation, inserting the word into almost every sentence he could. I guess he really wanted the ability to teleport as his superpower... only if he knew. I almost felt bad for him.

"What do you mean? I can build a car better than any other company out there. Just tell me about the general specifications of the best supercar out there and I will make it. I can even use our ship's warp drive as boosters. I would have done it already if I knew about cars as much as you, but unfortunately, I never bothered about getting my driver's license or learning how to drive cars. So, even though I know about the general mechanics behind how a car works, I don't know exactly what features modern cars offer... God, I miss the internet already." Reed exclaimed, annoyed at being continuously underestimated by everyone on the team.

"No, stop Reed. Johnny is right. You probably can make the best car to ever exist but we are behind schedule. We barely have a day to complete making one car, much less five. On top of that, the Grandmaster didn't bother providing us with resources, contacts, or even any money for that. Even if you do come up with a design, we still won't be able to complete it. We need help.... preferably from a local." I stopped their argument as I expressed my thoughts. 

"Sounds like we are screwed, especially since the cars that the Grandmaster would give us if we fail to acquire our own vehicle would definitely be defected in some way or another." Susan gave her own two cents with a grim expression after hearing my words as she thoughtfully looked out of our room through the open window. 

We were originally given two rooms by the Grandmaster to stay in till our match, with guards constantly standing guard outside our rooms to monitor us and make sure that we didn't try running away.

The worst thing was that these new guards weren't like those weak-minded bugs but instead grey-skinned Shadow People with proper telepathic barriers to protect their minds. I could still get into their minds if I tried hard, but the forced penetration would leave lasting traces, which would allow the Grandmaster to know that I had fucked with their minds. Now, I wasn't afraid of the Grandmaster. I was ready to fight and kill him if worse came to worst. However, I also really wanted to finish my first chain quest from the system and killing the Grandmaster before our Death Race would not let me do that.

Anyway, as I was saying, one of the two rooms that we received, was given entirely to Ben so that he could rest since his health seemed the worst out of everyone while the rest of us just decided to settle in the other room to start planning things out for tomorrow.

"Not really screwed, there are some things that we can do like stealing a craft that we can further modify, but I was hoping that we do not have to steal." I sighed as I expanded my cosmic senses all over the planet for the tenth time, trying to find anyone who looked like Valkyrie from the movies. If I could promise her something that she would want like money, honor, or revenge, maybe she would agree to help but again for the tenth time in a row, I was disappointed. No woman looked even close to the MCU version of Valkyrie on this ball of trash.

'Seems like there isn't any other option than to try my hand at stealing.' I grimly thought to myself. I didn't want to originally steal a craft because any craft that was on this planet technically belonged to the Grandmaster since he was the supreme dictator of the planet even above the local Imperial King. So, stealing from him who is in this case my competitor might be considered cheating by the system which could lead to the quest being immediately canceled, something that I didn't want.

But, I didn't seem to have many options remaining at that moment.

"Perhaps I could help then," A hologram manifesting in our room from a device that seemed like Sakaar's version of a... TV or phone or whatever it was, suddenly interrupted all our thoughts as the same grey-skinned woman wearing a collar from the throne room faced us with a stoic look on her face. 

"And who are you?" I asked, despite already knowing the answer to it. After reading the memories of so many Spike soldiers, I now more or less had the entire knowledge of this planet's present political landscape.

"I am Caiera, the Queen of the Shadow People... or at least I was before me, and my people were taken as slaves after we arrived on this planet, first by the Sakaaran Imperials and then by the Grandmaster." Caiera introduced herself with a slight bow of her head. However, she looked like she was in a rush. 

"But my past identity doesn't matter right now, what matters is that I can help you with your situation, if you trust me that is. I might know of someone who can give you vessels as well as teach you about the upcoming Death Race. The ones in Sakaar are unlike any other Death Races you might have seen in the rest of the galaxy. These ones are much more bloodier, more savage, and more dangerous. Rarely anyone survives in these Death races, much less win them. Grandmaster can do it since he would be the one who would not only plan and design but also essentially control the entire race but when it comes to the rest of you..."

"Wait, that's not fair. He would be basically cheating if he did that. I mean I can handle a Death Race or two, but winning will be impossible if he cheats." Johnny interrupted her, yelling out in an angry voice while failing to mention the fact that this would be his or any of our first Death Race in our entire lives.

"Well, unfortunately for everyone facing against him, he doesn't really care," Caiera responded. 

"Look Caiera, I am going to be frank here, I don't trust anyone I haven't slept with. So, I don't think you are just helping us out of the goodness of your heart. So, tell me, what do you want in return for your help? I can give you whatever you want as long as I win the tournament. I am pretty sure that I am not weaker than the Grandmaster." I said with a small smile.

By those muscles of hers, she looked like she was a warrior before she was captured and taken as a slave. This meant that I shouldn't underestimate her.

"If you really do win the contest and get Sakaar as your trophy..., I want you to kill the Red King who is the king of the Sakaaran Imperials, and set the Shadow People free. There are barely a hundred of us left, so you won't face a shortage of slaves even if we are all gone. We will even leave the planet if you don't want us to live on it anymore. As for the Red King, no one likes him, not even his own species. So, killing him won't result in any unrest from the public." Caiera tried her hardest to bargain with me.

"Are you sure you want that? I was ready to give you a much better deal. But, if you just want that then..." I innocently said with a shrug, trying to make her interested in my offer. 

A warrior like her could be useful in my new city, especially her followers would join in with her as well.

"... What deal did you have in mind?" Caiera could not help but ask shamelessly, unable to control her desire to get a better bargain for her people.

"This planet is dying. Its biome is more or less already gone due to all the trash accumulated over the years. Even the core is unstable. It's only a matter of time before it gets destroyed on its own. That was one of the reasons why the Grandmaster agreed so easily to put the planet up as a trophy. But, I have a... realm of my own. A place that you can call home. Somewhere where both the Shadow People and the Sakaaran Imperials can live in luxury without any sort of discrimination or oppression. Of course, I would still own the place and be the ruler, but I can give you my word that I will never abuse your people. They can grow and thrive there like never before." I offered.

"Wait, can Earth really take all of them? What about the public or the Government? Won't they protest if they see literal aliens living alongside them?" Johnny confusedly asked Susan in a whisper to which he only got a 'shush' as a reply.

"I... That does sound... like a dream come true... Your name is Atem, right?... If you win, and if what you claim is truly true, then I am ready to marry you." She stated with a straight face, without a single hint of shyness on her face.

The expression on Susan's face however could not be more complicated as her eyes stared daggers at Caiera like she had just declared a blood feud on her. 

"And why would you want to marry me? Or better question, why would I want to marry you?" I chuckled.

"Because despite being taken as a slave, I am still the best warrior on the planet. Also, I am adept at sorcery and using the Old Power... even though it has decreased to a mere shell of what it was before. Also, I am a pure virgin, untouched by any other man or woman. I was originally taken to be used as a love slave by the Red King.

However, the arrival of the Grandmaster and his rule made sure that he did not get the opportunity to touch me since the Grandmaster considered me a pawn to manipulate the rest of my people. So, all the Red King does is just humiliate me in public by making me wear a collar and forcing me to sit on the floor As for why I want to marry you, it's to make sure that my people get treated right by you." She uttered without a single hesitation like what she said were undeniable facts.

"... Those are actually really fair arguments..." I mumbled with both Reed and Johnny nodding along with me in agreement while Susan just stared at us in disbelief. "Ahem* But still I can't promise to marry you, I will have to think about it. However, I do promise that I will take care of your people like they are my own." 

"*Sigh* Fair enough, I will put my trust in you... As for how I can help you, there is this woman I know who can help you with the racing crafts you need. She is a warrior much like me and owes me a few favors. However, she might need a little convincing since she can get a little adamant at times. The guards will take you there, they are loyal to me. The Grandmaster hasn't placed a ban on you all voyaging outside your rooms or even the palace, so he won't need to be informed as well.

But remember, you need to prepare for any and all possibilities. According to the Grandmaster's own statement, the race tomorrow will be the bloodiest of all other Death Races ever held on Sakaar." Caiera declared grimly which forced a gulp out of all three people standing behind me.

"I need to go now. However, I would pray that you win tomorrow Atem for both my and your sake." Caiera gave a small nod which I returned before her hologram disappeared in thin air just like it had appeared, again plunging the room into an uncomfortable silence.

"Well, at least dying in a race against an alien warlord will be one of the cooler ways to die in space." Johnny finally broke the silence after a few seconds with a helpless chuckle at which no one laughed.

***

<{City Market, Sakaar}>  

The city 'bazaar' wasn't as sci-fi or impressive as we originally expected it to be like the rest of the city. As the guards escorted us through the general part of the city where the normal people lived, we could not help but compare it to some of the backward regions of Earth. From suspicious traders trying to sell stuff to us to beggars begging for a few credits, there were a lot of similarities that could be drawn.

Of course, none of that distracted us from our goal, especially since we didn't have even a single credit to our name. We were poorer than the poorest of the people here. 

"That is the bar where you can find her. We don't know her name since she changes it every few days but her skin is the same color as yours, so spotting her won't be difficult. Normally she is the only one drinking at this time of the day. We will wait here outside. Oh and don't try to run. Your friend is still back at the palace." One of the 'Shadow People' guards declared as he gestured towards a shady-looking establishment. 

"I see, thank you. Give your... princess our regards." I mock saluted as I looked at Susan, Reed, and Johnny. 

"Okay guys, I'll try to convince her to help us. But, if she doesn't agree, I will have to use my mind control... Where's Susan?" I asked in confusion, not being able to spot her anywhere around us.

However, the reason for her disappearance became clear to me the very next moment when I activated my Rinnegan and released my cosmic senses to sense her location. 

"I am still here. Why? You guys can't see me?... What in the living hell? I am invisible." Susan Storm, aka, Invisible Woman released a panicked and terrified yell at the top of her lungs as she struggled to see her own body, which scared a lot of people nearby since it almost seemed like the sound came from empty space.

"Invisibility?... Now, that's a power that I could have used," Johnny murmured to himself as he smiled with a perverted expression on his face.

---

Don't forget to 'comment' and 'favorite' this chapter if you like it.

Also, you can check out my Patreon page as well to read ahead or to support your amazing author.

Right now I have about 20 chapters in advance there.

(My Patreon uses the new billing method which means if you pledge on the 15th of this month, you will have to pay again on the day you pledged, i.e., the 15th of the next month. So whenever you subscribe, you will get a whole month.

patreon.com/God_Doom

12