Chapter 2 – The end is yet the beginning
46 3 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week after the initial event that all humans on earth heard. It is now reffered to as the CALLING. Major world governments have already created sanctions in which they chose highly respected, strong, rich, or popular individuals to take on the temples, representing the country itself. The USA, Canada, China, Russia, South Korea, and South Africa have already used over 50 people for their individual temples. People expected all of them to finish the trials already, but having sent hundreds of people... every single one was permanently disabled, psychologically damaged, or just sent back in a coffin. Now all major countries,  fearful for the people who represent their image are now opening enlistings for the temples. There are thousands of participants laying down their lives to try and become qualified but only a few have made it.

Niko: "Alright Hadou, we are finally able to take on this damn temple after days of waiting, although through the time we've waited I am a little scared seeing that less than 10 people even made it out alive out of hundreds."

Hadou: "I know, but man this is our chance! And I can't just waste my fathers inheretence used to bribe the government worker just getting on the list. But I think it'll be worth it if we make it through the temples' trials we've heard so much about."

Niko: "You're right... I didn't wait this long just to die let's get going then." 

After getting in line and waiting to get up to the front they were grouped up with 8 other people and awaited the Manager of the trial to do his speach.

Manager: "Alright, I assume all of you aren't feeling like they want to leave right now? Well too bad you can't since you signed up and agreed through your contract. What you need to know though, is that each time you enter for some odd reason the trials will always be different but seem to change depending on the people competing in the trial. How you may ask? It depends on your potential. The "absolutes", which have named themselves can somehow see your potential in reaching nirvana. Something about how this world is connected to the magos of whatever bs name they said and our potential linking to the amount of consciousness' you can absorb from other realities. We have seen no use for this "potential" just yet. So you better just hope none of you have crazy potential. If you wanna live... so how about it! Let's get you folks going and good luck, you'll need it."

Hadou: "Wow, what a great send off... anyways time to head inside."

Niko: "Right..."

The group of ten walked inside of the temple and were all greeted with system screens only their individual selves could see.

Female 1: "Does anyone see a weird pink window infront of them?"

Hadou: "I see a window, but mine is green."

Niko: "Same but mine is red, odd..."

SYSTEM: You are now regarded as seekers, or a seekers in training if you wish to be called. A term that refers to people who have entered a temple. The window you see infront of you can be seen as a status or menu window from a video game. It displays your name, age, height, and applicable statistics towards your capabilites like strength, intelligence, and speed. Which can all be increased by a variety of ways including but not limited to killing a powerful enemy and gaining exp, absorbing the consciousness of another version of you, or gaining titles. At the top left of your screen, you will see a number ranging from 1-100, the higher the number, the more consciousness' you will be able to absorb. This is a public message for all of you, from now on any system voice you hear, will only be heard by you.

Niko: "Wow, that manager guy couldn't even have the decency to tell us about this, which I assume all "seekers" have." 

Niko: But what I also think is weird is that my number is 0. how could I have no potential?...

Hadou: "I know it's so weird... especially all of this information being dropped on us so quickly. But the number on the top of my screen says 30, that's not too good or bad, I like it!"

Male 1: "HAHAHA! My potential says 55! Beautifully above average like a I should be. But not too high where the trial should be very dangerous!"

After a few minutes of discussion and random numbers being thrown around including their own stats another system message was sent individually to all of them.

SYSTEM: You are now free to enter area zero which is the trial area. This is a safe zone that you can always come back to in order to rest. Remember you cannot leave this place. You can only enter. You will either complete the trial and become a true Seeker. Or die trying.

Niko: "I think the best way for all of us to complete this is to all go together and take on the trial as a team! Seeing as that's the reason we are in here as a group."

Hadou: "That's what I was thinking too! It seems very odd if the case was that we are doing solo challenges."

After a few short minutes of discussion all of them agreed to enter area zero as a whole group. When they entered a robotic voice unlike the systems voice started talking.

Temple Moderation: Calculating trial difficulty based off of group average potential... ᴸᵉᵛᵉˡ ᶜʰᵒˢᵉⁿ... ᵉᵃˢʸ... ʰᵃʳᵈ... ᵉᵃˢʸ... ᵐᵉᵈᶦᵘᵐ............UNPRECEDENTED POTENTIAL FOUND, calculating potential number.... POTENTIAL: BOUNDLESS. new difficulty being made to accommodate... new difficulty chosen: null.

Niko: "What... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN SYSTEM ANSWER!"

SYSTEM: Your potential has been deemed as unpredictented and therefore unpredictabally high. So to occomadate you will be facing an unpredictable challenge as a group.

Niko: Is this all because of my potential being 0? I mean... it wasn't between 1 and 100 like the System said but...

Hadou: "Calm down everyone I'm sure it won't be too bad I mean the difficulty is null, which literally means zero. Maybe it's just no difficulty at all!"

Niko: "Yeah! You're right..." 

Niko: I'm still unsure though... This doesn't seem normal at all.

Male 1: "I didn't even think of that! Wow this temple is such bullshit making us worry..."

Male 3: "For real. Like this room is just white, like complete emptiness man. I say we keep walking and try and find the exit he-"

Just before he could finish his sentence he was seemingly erased as a whole except for his legs from the knee down. And with a blow of wind across everyone's faces and the legs falling over spilling blood like a knocked over bottle of water no one in the group could even think of formulating a word and after looking at the monster who did this they saw a huminoid figure with legs 4 times the size of an average human. With a slim, gray, and hardened upper body, and a face vibrating so much you could only see a gray splotch.*

???: "Dammit, even with my title Photon Phenom  I couldn't destroy that bugs entire body with my speed. Oh what am I talking about none of you even know about titles, and I'm sure you're all scared. You see I would give my name but you'll all be dead soon enough! So let's not waste anymore time..."

Hadou: "Wha... What are- how could you- HOW COULD YOU JUST KILL AN INNOCENT MAN!!!"

It took incredible strength for Hadou to even breathe... much less speak. No one else in the group was comprehending what just happened yet.

???: "I don't owe you an answer you annoying human."

Just before Niko could also talk Hadou and 3 other members disappeared instantaneously

Niko: "H-Hadou where did you go! WHATEVER THE HELL YOU ARE WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM!"

???: "Oh my you're quiet full of emotions. I'll save you for last."

After the monster said that he erased 3 more until there was Niko and a Female left.

???: "You girl... You're quite unlucky to have witnessed all this. But hey, for a mere human you're kind of cute. I'll just cut your throat and keep the rest of your nice body in tact for later..."

Female 1: "No please... don't... hey- please... DON'T DO THIS PLEASE!"

Niko: "I-"

Before Niko could even finish saying "I" the woman's throat was leaking blood, and her eyes rolled back into her head as she fell to the ground in shock just awaiting a silent death.

Female 1: "Grrrrr-Eughlll."

As she tried to speak with blood leaking out of her mouth she could do nothing but choke on her own essence.

Niko: "Why... why me of all people. WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS DAMMIT!"

Before Niko could move his left arm was severed and fell to the ground, as he stared at missing arm, he stared blankly and proceeded to grab the arm and try putting it back in it's socket. He's gone into shock like the girl.

???: "I thought this was gonna be fun torturing you, but you're all quiet... then just die already."

The creature ran past Niko at speeds almost equivalent to light and severed Nikos throat just like the girl. Leaving him there to die while the monster sits on the torso of the female staring at her blank eyes with inhumane lust.

Niko: Is this really how I die... to a child like monster... all because I had some bullshit potential... what useless shit now.....Huh?

SYSTEM: You are unfit to survive this trial. There is no chance for survival. Unless... would one choose to become a Seeker even after knowing what you will have to endure? Then maybe you can live.

Niko: I don't have much of a choice do I? But I want to live and if I can... I'll kill that bastard who played with all of us like toys and threw us away like damn trash!

SYSTEM: Answer has been recorded. Receiving player titles to accommodate the situation. Titles received: Regenerator, Herculean strength, Child of Hermès, blessing of Fortuna, KING OF A SINGLE TEAR. You don't know everything about titles, but for now know regenerator, blessing of Fortuna, and King of a Single Tear are situation based abilities; meaning these titles activate automatically when a certain condition is met. While Herculean strength and child of Hermès must be activated by a your own confirmation.

SYSTEM: Damage sustained... activating regeneration. Emotional distress evaluated... activating King of a Single Tear... All Opponents will be instilled with fear, all of their stats will be halfed. Becuae of fear, they won't be able to move for 5 seconds.**

???: "Wha-What the hell why can't I move!?"

Niko: "You...You deserve an infinite hell for what you have done to us!"

*Niko stands up while all of his damaged cells are being replaced and reborn*

???: "Wha-How are you even alive?!?! Much less fucking talking! I'll make sure to evaporate your very being you FUCKER!!"

Niko: "Not if I kill you damned beast." 

Niko: Activate Herculean Strength and Child of Hermès.

Finally, after 5 seconds the monster was free to move and ran at 50% the speed of light directly for Niko.

???: Dammit, I feel so slow. What did this bastard do?

???: "This time you'll die!"

But to the monsters surprise Niko moved to... which was seemingly impossible because of time dilation... Unless he was moving just as fast it should've been llike instantaneous travel to a normal human. But Niko wasn't moving just as fast. He was moving faster...

Niko: "I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you..."

Niko kicked the monsters calf with all of his force shattering the monsters leg, throwing him across the ground. Niko then ran up to the monster crushing its chest making it unable to breathe while he stood on it. As the monster screamed in pain Niko finally used his strength and ripped out the monsters heart crushing it infront of the monsters eyes for the final few seconds it lived... it knew fear for the first time.*

Temple Moderation: You have succefully cleared the trial. Rewards will be distributed in relation to the chosen difficulty, in given time. Please return to the safe area and await the next message.

Niko: "Finally..... that damned monster. Damned fucking monster......"

After King of a Single Tear deactivated his emotions evened out and he thought clearly again. As he made his way to the safe area he thought of his friend and vowed to reach nirvana and destroy the damned gods who thought of this game-like torture.

0