Chapter 34 – Ollu City
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 34 - Ollu City

 

The illustrious capital of the Talon Empire. The largest city in Firma, Ollu was the greatest concentration of wealth and power on the continent. And it was all thanks to the strength and security provided by Talon’s dragonriders.

Some of the strongest of whom were stationed right here in Ollu City.

Unlike the Green Yard, equipped with Beastkiller Ballista for defense, dragonriders were the deterent of choice for the Imperial capital. During the day, they were stationed along the walls atop their own towers.

Ash’s eyes lit up as he spotted a great red-gold dragon sunning itself an enormous tower as the caravan approached the walls. It was the dream of all dragonriders to eventually get assigned to the capital. But it was a rare opportunity. Only the most noteworthy riders would be eligible to be selected, and only when a current member of the Royal Dragonguard retired.

It's red-gold. Is that Torch, the 'Great Blaze', he wondered excitedly. Hero Karr Orsten's partner? Ash could only speculate by its color until he walked under the gate and the dragon tower slipped out of sight.

 

Rolling into Ollu City, the caravan had started to split up. But waiting off to the side of the entrance was the Caravan Master with his sons, bidding farewell to all the members they'd travelled with.

Which reminded him of the odd request the prior night, where he was asked to rub Rasp down with a blanket. For a keepsake they said...

Captain Thorne and Nichol shook hands while Rews and Leddi waved goodbye at Ash.

"BYE ASH. BYE RASP! YOU'LL BE A GOOD DRAGONRIDER!"

He waved back, "Take care Rews! Bye Leddi!"

 

Having seperated from the caravan, the five wagon convoy directly made their way to the Ollu's dragonguard compound. They only stopped once they arrived outside the walled compound, in front of a tall latticed fortress gate of studded steel. Through it, could be seen wide spacious grounds with a stone paved path leading to a large imposing stucture. The dragonhouse.

Captain Thorne strode to the gate to talk with a few of the guards standing behind behind it. Ash was keeping watch and was ready when the captain beckoned the dragonboy to head over. Rasp hopped out to follow when the boy moved.

The guards stared at the small, but long, black dragon as the pair walked up. Pulling the letters out of his tunic, Ash grabbed the appropriate letter of introduction and presented it to the guard in charge, while putting the letter for the archmage away. “A private letter for Ollu's dragonhouse leader from General Lukes, commanding officer of the Skyfort.”

Confirming the letter was indeed addressed for the dragonleader, it was returned to Ash while a courier was summoned to run and find the man in the central structure.

Captain Thorne went back to wait with his platoon in the meantime, while Ash looked at Rasp critically. He'd need the right tools, but the dragonboy was now certain looking at his partner on mostly even ground. Rasp has grown taller! So had he, but he was pretty sure the dragon had grown at a faster rate than before. Maybe? He couldn't wait to find out for sure.

Not content with just being stared at, Rasp heavily leaned against the boy's thigh. He knew what he wanted and got it. Ash ran his fingers up and down the dragon's scales, giving all the scritches.

 

After fifteen minutes, a pale-skinned man with light cream robes walked out of the dragonhouse, making way to the gate. The guards saluted before one gestured through the gate towards Ash and Rasp, "Oneer, sir. This boy with a dragon has a letter for you.

Ash threw a hasty salute as the man the robed man casually perused the youth and juvenile black dragon with bright blue eyes. After a minute, the dragonleader came to the gate and extended a hand, "Hmm, hand it here then."

The dragonboy promptly handed over the letter.

Flipping the letter open, the dragonhouse leader’s eyes flicked side to side he read. When he finished, he spoke, “Dragonboy Ash, I've been expecting you. It's good to see that you and your dragon have arrived safely. I was informed of your transfer months ago. It appears General Lukes has great expectations of you. Grab your things and I'll show you two to your stall.”

Ash hurried to Rasp's wagon to bundle all his things together and grab Rasp's crystal. He took an extra minute to scour the wagon bed, but eventually was satisfied he hadn't missed anything.

Slipping out of the wagon for the last time, Ash found the captain standing off to the side. Ash saluted, "Sir!"

Captain Thorne wryly looked over the pair that had caused him so many headaches. Luckily the worst had not happened and he had completed the mission. In the end, all he did was salute back and solemnly dismissed the boy, "Good luck Dragonboy Ash. This is where we part ways. I hope you accomplish your mission and get to fly soon."

"Thank you Captain Thorne, sir!"

The boy nodded at the few guards he had interacted with and waved goodbye to the rest of the platoon in farewell.

Then the boy shouldered his small bundle of possession and made his way to the gate with Rasp. It lifted at their approach in a rattling squeal.

Oneer waiting patiently as Ash and Rasp took their first steps into their new home.

Captain Thorn sighed with relief as the gate closed. Finally, the pair was no longer his responsibility. He only had one real task left. To report back to General Lukes.

1