Chapter 38 – Back to the Dragonhouse
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 38 - Back to the Dragonhouse

 

Ash nodded obediently and trailed the headmaster down to the lobby.

She instructed the receptionist, “Horic, grab a badge for our new student, ...uh what was your name again?”

“My name is Ash,” he promptly replied, while swiftly pocketing the metal badge Horic slid over the counter.

“Also, ring for my carriage. We’re going to the imperial dragonhouse.”

The old man nodded and rummaged under the counter for a moment before revealing a small silver bell. He shook it, nodded, put it away, and inclined his head. "It shall be five minutes Archmage Kalie."

"Perfect, now I need you to provide the boy a list of required first year books, get a tailor to..." The Archmage started rattling away, listing everything Ash would need for school while they waited.

Five minutes later, the archmage and dragonboy were ushered out to an ornate black coach with silver filigree. It was pulled by a team of four lithe black horses, with silver harnesses. The coachman was outfitted to match in all black, with silver cuffs and buttons.

Ash paused to stare. Damn, that looks fancy. And how're their manes rippling like that? There's no wind. But he had no time to ask as he followed the headmaster to take a seat inside. Sitting on a cushioned bench opposite Archmage Kalie, there was a slight jolt, and then they were rolling off.

As they approached the gate, Ash suddenly remembered Tocc. "Umm, I was provided a guide from the dragonhouse and he's waiting for me outside the gates. Can we take him back with us?"

"Yes yes. It'll be no trouble at all. Just point him out for one of the guards. He can ride on the back."

As the gates opened, Ash picked out Tocc from across the street and pointed his guide out to the headmaster. She then had the gatehouse guards escort him over.

Tocc looked relieved to see Ash looking out the carriage, before offering a grilled sausage on a stick. "Hey Ash, grabbed one for you if you want it."

Ash's stomach grumbled at the sight of food. It had been a long walk... "Sure, thanks Tocc! I own you one. Uh, we're headed to the dragonhouse, so you can ride at the back."

The dragonhouse guide nodded hesitantly before walking out of sight, then the carriage shook slightly as Tocc took a seat on the back footboard.

With everyone ready, the fancy carriage clattered swiftly through the cobbled streets of Ollu.

 

Captain Thorne stood in a spacious room filled with dozens of shelves, talking clearly into a metallic orb engraved with mystic signs, held out by the current mage on communication duty. The orb was one of hundreds meticulously arranged throughout the room He was currently delivering the report requested by General Lukes, at the start of the escort mission.

The engraved orb was paired with an emitter located at the Skyfort. Which now sat in front of the general who was listening intently along with Magus Gus and Instructor Vor, as the captain detailed the entire trip, leaving nothing of note out.

The trip was going as well as the general could expect, right up until Thorne paused briefly, taking a deep breath, before plowing on.

"We encountered an unexpected diversion, General," Thorne continued, his brow furrowing. "The boy's dragon detected a dead beast in the forest, of the imperial class. The result was that the dragon ended up consuming an unknown, unregulated beastcore. There was nothing I could do to prevent its actions, and as of yet there have been no visible results from the event."

General Lukes froze. "Stop right there Captain Thorne. Give me a moment." An unregulated beastcore from an imperial class monster!?

The captain winced on his side, but managed to hold back a sigh. "Yes sir!" As expected. He hadn't looked forward to delivering that part of the report. But it had to be done.

After a minute, the orb crackled to life. "There were zero effects you said?"

"So far sir. And the dragonboy hadn't noticed any differences either."

"Very well, continue on with the report captain."

"Yes sir." Thorne managed to finish laying out the rest of the the journey without further interruption and he concluded with his assessment of the dragonboy. "Now, about Dragonboy Ash, he has proven to be rather resilient and adjusts to situations appropriately. And is willing to learn. All while keeping his dragon as his priority. As far as I could tell, he is as Wartorn as they come."

"That is certainly a relief to hear captain. You've done very well."

"Thank you sir!"

"However-"

Uh oh...

"However, I would like you to write this all down Captain Thorne. Once you are finished, please contact me again. Also, you need to stay informed in the meantime on whether the dragon shows any signs of being adversely affected by that beastcore. We cannot afford any negative variables when it comes to our dragon's growth."

"Yes sir."

As Captain Thorne exited the room he finally released a suppressed sigh, long withheld. More work... The mission would continue on...

 

Swiftly arriving outside the dragonhouse compound, the horses, or zephyrsteeds as the dragonboy had been informed, balked at the dragon-scent. As they shied away from entering the dragonhouse grounds, the headmaster ceased grilling the dragonboy about the moment Rasp used innate magic. He was relieved, she had been relentless in picking his brain for more details.

"Well Ash, looks like we will be walking the rest of the way." With a sigh, the archmage motioned Ash to get out, and then she exited as well.

The guards recognized the archmage on sight, and they were let in without hassle.

Tocc ran ahead to report to Oneer while Ash led the eager mage through the dragonhouse. As they reached Rasp's new home the youth heard the familiar grind of teeth on rock. ...grind, grind, grind...

Ash turned his head as he touched the sliding door, “Forgive me headmaster, but you should stay out in the hallway. At least until I can get Rasp to the far side of the room. I'll let you know when you can open the door back up. It might take a few minutes though.” The dragonboy then slipped into the stall, and slid the door shut.

Rasp spat out his crystal to run over to greet his boy with a happy head-butt and ran a circle around his legs. Ash solidly got a hold of the dragon's horns and playfully wrestled for a bit. But he still had a job to do and after briefly playing with the energetic dragon, he eventually proceeded to Rasp's rock. With it secured firmly in hand, the boy then directly led his scaly partner to the wall opposite the door and knelt to put an arm around his partner's neck.

He then cleared his throat and called out, “Archmage Kalie, you can open the door now. Please do it slow though.”

1