CHAPTER 6. Advocate For Justice
37 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While he had no intention of resorting to violence to make his point, Tian Hua understood that the stall owner might attempt to deceive his way out of the situation. He initially attempted to apologize to the stall owner, only to realize he had blacked out. As the villagers approached him, eager to purchase his talismans, the matter slipped out of his mind completely.

Tian Hua was pleasantly surprised by the success of his sales. Although he still had a considerable number of talismans remaining, the copper coins he had collected should suffice for food and acquiring some essential alchemy equipment. Furthermore, a couple of villagers had expressed interest in talismans for other various purposes, making Tian Hua confident that, by the end of this week, he would have more than enough to cover his needs and then some.

Tian Hua reached into his inner garments for the talisman that had protected him from the stall owner’s punch moments earlier. He discarded it and swiftly replaced it with a fresh one; then, he began searching for a store that sold alchemy equipment.

“Welcome!” An elderly lady warmly greeted Tian Hua the instant he entered the shop. A small bell chimed above the door as he closed it behind him.

The interior was cozy, with wooden shelves lining the walls, their surfaces polished smooth by countless hands reaching for ancient texts. Books and scrolls crowded every shelf and were stacked in rows against the walls, creating a slightly cramped space that made moving around a bit challenging.

Tian Hua immediately spotted a dusty cauldron in which even more books were piled, though it appeared to be relatively small. He pointed at it and asked, “Do you only have cauldrons in this size?”

She arched an eyebrow. “What’s wrong with it? It’s ideal for children or teenagers to use for alchemy,” she paused, “or even for adults.”

Do I have to use a cauldron no bigger than a bucket for alchemy from now on? Tian Hua grimaced. Well, it seems like my luck talismans don’t work for everything, because this is downright unfortunate.

The old lady understood his frustration. “It’s of excellent quality. My daughter only used it for a couple of days, then tossed it away. Ever since then, it’s been sitting in my shop for… how long has it been? Hmm….”

Whatever. I’m way too desperate to care about this anymore. I can just craft more talismans to buy a bigger furnace from another city.

Tian Hua waved his hand. “That’s fine! I’ll take it. Do you also have books about the geography and history of this country?”

“I have those, too. My daughter is very smart and has always loved studying. Every day I’d find her with a new book in her hands! I’m telling you, her love for books is almost an obsession,” the old lady lamented. “And now, even my grandson is starting to develop this same obsession. I keep telling him to help his father with the goats, but no! Nowadays, he wants to go to school as well…”

“How much?”

“How much?! A lot!” she answered. “He’s been begging his father day and night to let him go to school, and it’s gotten to the point where my daughter has started pestering him as well! But how is going to school going to put food on the table? Can you earn money just by loving literature? I’d rather—”

“No, I mean how much does the book cost?”

The old lady laughed lightly. “Ah, yes, it’s four copper coins. Let me find that book for you…”

Tian Hua watched the little old lady as she sifted through the stacks of books until she triumphantly held up a thick tome. “Here it is! Four copper coins aren’t too much to ask, are they?”

“Not really, no.”

Tian Hua handed her the coins, and the old lady rewarded him with a somewhat toothless grin, which took him by surprise. “Now, I’ve been meaning to ask... Who’s the young girl peeking inside? Do you know her?”

He turned abruptly, managing to catch a glimpse of long hair disappearing out of sight. It was evident who had been observing him from outside: Long Xinyue. She had likely been watching him, possibly even during Tian Hua’s confrontation with the charlatan.

Brat.

“No, I’ve never seen her before,” he smiled back at the old lady. “Now, about the cauldron….”

Tian Hua emerged from the store, cradling the cauldron and the book under his arm. With a bit more coinage to spare, he opted to buy chicken meat and vegetables. However, he couldn’t help but discreetly survey his surroundings with a quick glance.

It was rather impressive how effectively Long Xinyue could conceal herself. No matter how many times Tian Hua attempted to catch her off guard now, she remained hidden. Either she had improved her hiding skills to evade his sight, or she had decided to return to the sect. Whichever choice she had made, Tian Hua was relieved that he didn’t have to concern himself with interacting with her on his way back.

He shrugged and proceeded to buy a chicken. Yet, even as he waited for the vendor to pluck the feathers off the freshly slaughtered bird, Tian Hua couldn’t resist stealing another look around. It was odd; previously, he had somehow sensed Long Xinyue’s prickly glares from afar. But now, as he scanned the market, all he saw were villagers bustling about, and there was no sign of Long Xinyue anywhere.

After getting the pieces of chicken meat and the vegetables, Tian Hua leisurely strolled through the streets, taking his time and even making two rounds around the market. Definitely not to find Long Xinyue or anything of the sort.

Eventually, he returned to his original starting point and let out a sigh. The sun was already setting. What am I doing? Why am I so concerned with someone who’s so hostile towards me?

Tian Hua continued walking, beads of sweat forming on his forehead from the effort of carrying so much. He had forgotten how delicate and untrained this body was. As he neared the edge of the village, approaching the stone stairs that led back to his sect, he paused to catch his breath. Taking a moment, he carefully placed his cloth-wrapped food inside the small cauldron.

While he was in the process of organizing the talismans and coins within a pocket in his inner clothing, Tian Hua heard some commotion not too far from his location. He perked up his ears and discerned the clamorous voices of children coming from a nearby side alley, concealed behind a row of houses. Initially dismissing it as mere child’s play, he froze as he made out a remarkably familiar, sharp voice sternly chastising them among the noise.

Tian Hua quickly gathered his belongings and hurried toward the source of the ruckus.

Peeking from behind a house, he caught sight of Long Xinyue with her back turned to him, engaged in a standoff with two children. He frowned. Just what is she doing?

“I’m calling mommy on you!” One of them, a boy with a runny nose, pointed an accusatory finger at Long Xinyue.

“Good. She’d be happy to find out her son stole this,” she waved two bitten apples in the air.

Oh boy. Tian Hua crouched down.

“I didn’t do that!” he looked seconds away from sobbing.

A little girl stomped her feet. “But mommy said stealing is good if you’re hungry!”

“Oh, so you did steal them?”

The girl shook her head, eyes glossy from tears. “No! We only took them for a bit… Xing will give them back! I promise!”

Long Xinyue hid the apples behind her back. “I don’t believe you. Once a thief, always a thief.”

“We’re not thieves!” the girl shouted and started bawling in her fists.

“Please don’t tell mommy…” the boy, Xing, replied shakily, wiping his snot.

“Why would you resort to stealing? There are plenty of other ways to get food. Why did you choose this one?” Her fingers clenched around the apples. “Take me to your mother.”

As the little boy began crying loudly, Tian Hua knew that he couldn’t stand by and watch any longer. He had to step in before others became involved and potentially exacerbated the situation. Stepping out from behind the house, he caught Long Xinyue’s attention as she quickly turned her head toward him.

Tian Hua halted his steps.

The eyes locked onto him were brimming with such venom that Tian Hua could hardly recognize the young person before him. Not even during their previous interactions had Long Xinyue exhibited such malice.

Only from some kiddies stealing two apples? He was genuinely surprised by her reaction.

Nevertheless, Tian Hua calmly approached Long Xinyue. “What’s the matter?”

She brought the apples close to her chest and shifted her gaze back to the children. “They stole the apples.”

“We’re sorry we’ll never do it again!” the little girl shouted in one breath, then tearfully looked at Tian Hua.

His heart ached. What could he do? Was there even a person immune to the puppy eyes of a child?

Tian Hua cast a quick glance at Long Xinyue’s stony expression.

“An apology won’t do,” she spoke, voice frosty. “Swear on your friends and parents that—”

“Whoa, whoa.” Tian Hua intervened. He gazed at the girl with a slight grin. “Stealing is wrong, but since you’ve already apologized, it’s forgiven. Just remember, if you steal again and get caught, it won’t be as simple to get away with.”

“Ah! So we just need to avoid getting caught, right?” The little girl turned to Xing, wearing an expression as if she had grasped Tian Hua’s point.

“No, that’s not….”

Tian Hua glanced back at Long Xinyue, then turned to the children with a broader smile. “If you steal again, she’ll find out. And there will be serious consequences, won’t there, Xinyue?”

Long Xinyue continued to glare at the children, causing them to tremble. Eventually, she turned her head away and tossed the apples to them, which they caught with shaky hands.

Tian Hua watched the pair run off. He had the strange urge to wipe his forehead, even though he wasn’t perspiring. I managed to calm things down for the time being.

“Let’s go,” he said to Long Xinyue, then went to retrieve the items he had left behind the house.

“Why did you stop me?”

Tian Hua looked at Long Xinyue and understood that she was feeling frustrated. For whatever reason, she couldn’t simply ignore a group of children pilfering two apples from a stall and had trailed them until they were far enough from any onlookers. He had initially thought she did it to avoid tarnishing their families’ reputations by exposing them, but now, he suspected that she merely wanted to scold them without any interruptions.

“They don’t know what they’re doing.”

“That’s exactly why I was telling them that stealing is wrong.”

“Did you think for a moment that, maybe, the seller saw them? With how late it’s getting, the market is becoming less crowded. Two stolen apples won’t make a significant impact on someone’s business, Xinyue.”

“But then, if I didn’t stop them, no one else would.”

Tian Hua let out a sigh. Call him selfish, but if an issue didn’t directly involve him or his loved ones, he generally wouldn’t be too concerned. It wasn’t his problem to address.

“You just hate when people do wrong, don’t you?” asked Tian Hua.

“Maybe.”

What kind of answer is that?

He shook his head and hoisted the cauldron containing the food. Thus, the thick book perched on top of the cauldron swayed and tumbled to the ground. Since his hands were already occupied, he simply allowed it to happen, albeit feeling a bit annoyed.

Before it could reach the ground, Long Xinyue swiftly caught the book. Without casting even a single glance in Tian Hua’s direction, she proceeded to the stone stairs and began to ascend them.

 

. . . . .

 

The moon was well up in the sky.

Long Xinyue had likely arrived at the sect quite some time ago, whereas Tian Hua was still struggling to reach it. He had to take frequent breaks to rest since the cauldron was far too heavy for him to carry.

I literally have spaghetti arms. Has Tian Hua never heard of manual labor?? He’s dirt poor! How did he survive up until now?!

As soon as he stepped onto the final stair, Tian Hua released the cauldron, letting it thud to the ground. He gasped for air, thoroughly exhausted.

Xiang Jun heard the noise and rushed over, holding a broom and a familiar, thick book in his hands. “Teacher! You’re back!”

Tian Hua made an incomprehensible sound in response.

“Should I bring you some water?”

Tian Hua finally glanced up at Xiang Jun, taking note of his furrowed brows and downturned lips. The genuine concern in Xiang Jun’s expression touched him deeply. Having already grown accustomed to walking in awkward silence or receiving sharp replies from Long Xinyue, Tian Hua felt his heart warm at the kindness displayed by this diligent disciple.

The only normal kid around, I guess.

Tian Hua glanced at the book in Xiang Jun’s hands. “I suppose Long Xinyue gave you that,” he remarked.

“Ah,” Xiang Jun quickly handed it to him and scratched his neck. “Senior Sister Long is… um… very, very tired, so she told me to give it to you when you come back.”

In other words, she couldn’t be bothered to wait and give it to me personally. Or even leave it inside my room.

Tian Hua coughed lightly. “I’ve brought some chicken meat to roast. Can you do it? Should I help?”

1