Chapter 3: Into the belly of the beast
70 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been only over a minute since we’ve entered the belly of the demon, and so far, it feels like an hour since I’ve started running. Right now, I have a trail of what appears to be a horde of hostile, fleshy, zombie baby-men chasing me around the interior of the demon’s belly.  If you’re having a hard time imagining it then picture a grown man, nude and has an umbilical cord connecting him to the fleshy walls of this place. Next, picture him as a skinless, pulsating mass of ground meat that look like they have undergone a trip to the blender. And finally picture a horde of them screaming their lungs out chasing after me in a big circle. Were you able to imagine it? If you have then good, that’s what I’m going through right now. And if you haven’t then I say, ‘Please let me be you.’ Because I seriously wish to be you at this point.

[Anis]: “Giant hand coming at you from above!”

I took a glimpse at it and now I wish I hadn’t. That definitely isn’t a hand! It had an eyeball on the tip of each finger and a mouth as pupils! Calm down Klein… Think. What are my options here? I could either run faster or try to prevent it from grabbing me.

[Skill leveled Up: Composure (Level 12/0)]

[Klein]: “Thanks Anis! I’m going to morph into a ball of spikes on the count of three!”

I took option two. With cold sweat I focused on displacing my spirit form and imagine myself being a hard metal ball with spikes.

[Klein]: “One!”

This better work! I don’t care if you are the Devil just give me a hand! I cursed in my mind. If I mess up, I’m screwed. I really should have trained more while I was in my dreamscape.

[Anis]: “Klein stop! That’s a pit trap!”

[Klein]: “Fudge!”

I cursed. There isn’t any time left. It is now or never.

[Klein]: “Three!”

By now you are probably wondering how I gained the ability to shape-shift into a ball with spikes or how was the demon’s stomach so huge I could run around in it. Well it happened while I was training with Anis in my dreamscape.

[Anis]: “Before we start, you need to know that it’s impossible for you to learn magic.”

[Klein]: “Wait, why?!”

Right now, I feel like my enthusiasm had just been doused with cold water. Why would you tell me that we are going to train in the art of magic when it’s impossible for me to learn it in the first place?

[Anis]: “Because we are originally people from a world without magic. That means-”

[Klein]: “We are incapable of using magic…”

Can things get any bleaker? How on Earth can I escape this Hell with no physical abilities or magic? Is the only thing I can do is to die…?

[Anis]: “That’s right but you can still use it to a minimal degree, this is because of the skill [Soul and Memory Magic].”

[Klein]: “How does that even work?”

I asked with a face clearly lacking all hope at this point. But as I looked at Anis. She just smiled and raised her left hand and-.

[Sfx]: “Snap!”

I was dumbstruck, her white skin began to pulsate. It grew outward morphing into a sleeveless white dress. My cheeks felt hot as I looked to one side when I realize we had been naked from the start… I’m must be becoming impotent to not remember or notice after this long…

[Anis]: “Klein, why are you looking away? You can’t study the technique if you don’t observe properly.”

[Klein]: “How can I not look away? You were nude!”

I think this is the first time for me to experience Anis glaring at me in utter disgust… She walked towards me and pinched my ear.

[Anis]: “Now you notice? Ever since that god summoned us, we had always been naked. As a girl I am seriously offended.”

[Klein]: “Ouch! Sorry! Why were you naked when we first met when you can give yourself some clothes? Ouch! Stop! Stop! I’m sorry, okay?... Despite being in a dream, why does it hurt when you pinch my ear?”

I asked, rubbing my ear trying to steer the subject. As I did, Anis glared at me more fiercely and ultimately let out a sigh… I wanted to say that I am seriously sorry, but that would just put us back to where we were.

[Anis]: “… I was naked until now because we never had access to the skill [Soul and Memory Magic] until now. And why it hurts is because I used the skill to induce the feeling of pain directly to your soul. This skill was originally a form of magic. It required magic to manipulate souls and memory. But there is an exception. We can use our soul particles as substitute for magic power through the use of the skill [Godly Sacrifice].”

If I go by what the skill is called, then [Godly Sacrifice] is a skill that sacrifices something you have for something you want in a godly manner. Woah! As I was thinking of the skill, the skill’s information flooded my brain. I was right regarding its effects, but I didn’t know its purpose. My face contorted in anger after finally knowing why we have it. Its main purpose was to harvest other worldly energy from us otherworlders in a 10:1 ratio. Ten being the other world energy and one being its gifts. That god had intended to extort us by giving us this skill. Being converted in a 10:1 ratio means that this energy, which is our last remaining gift from our old world, is more valuable than whatever trash the skill gives!

[Anis]: “Looks like you’ve understood the skill’s purpose.”

[Klein]: “I did. And I now understand the concept on how we are able to use magic. The skill [Godly Sacrifice] has sub functions that were energy conversions. Using the sub functions, we can convert soul particles into magic power in a 1:1 ratio but anything other than magic power reverts back to the original 10:1 ratio.”

Using the skill as a mediator, I can use magic to some degree, albeit in  a pseudo manner. But this is still better than nothing. Though, right now, Anis seems to be in a good mood with my answer. This must mean I got it right.

[Anis]: “Good, this makes things faster. Yes, you can use magic to a certain degree, but you still won’t be able to use it like a natural born mage of this world. That is because regardless of having magic power or not, since you do not possess the organ that generates or control magic power, you can’t use magic to its full potential.”

[Klein]: “Then, isn’t it pointless to focus on magic? Wouldn’t training physical capabilities be more helpful?”

Since I can’t use magic’s full potential, training physical capabilities would make me stronger quicker compared to magic. And the stronger I get, the easier it is to escape this Hell.

[Anis]: “You’re not wrong. It is faster to get stronger if we focus on your physical capabilities. But that is if you were a physical being. Now that you’ve become a disembodied soul, you have become something closer to magic rather than a physical being. So physical training would be impractical since you do not have a body to train.”

Now that she mentions it, yeah, I do not have a body that can be trained… Noticing my hopelessness, Anis placed her hand on my head.

[Anis]: “Even without a physical body, if you can train soul control, your spiritual body can get stronger.”

I gulped under my breath. Anis looked so cute just now as she smiles while rubbing the hair on my head. Not good, I am losing focus, I need to get serious in order to survive. I removed her hand from my head and straighten my back.

[Klein]: “That’s enough information for now. Anis, can you teach me the basics?”

From here on, Anis taught me the ways to disperse and reconstruct my spirit form in any way I can imagine. The lesson span from what felt like a month, but finally I was able to use it in a practical manner.

[Skills leveled Up: Composure (Level 11/0), Magic Control (Level 5/1), Soul Control (Level 10/1), Memory Control (Level 2/1)]

By now, I was very happy. The system had declared that my skills have improved and gotten stronger, but that isn’t the only thing on the list.

[New Derivative Skills unlocked: Polymorphic Soul (Level 5/0), Body Enhancement (3/0), Dreamscape (10/0)(Unique)]

Yes, I had gained three new abilities in the form of [Polymorphic Soul], [Body Enhancement], and [Dreamscape]. [Polymorphic Soul] is an ability that lets me morph my spirit form into anything that I can imagine. While [Body Enhancement] strengthens the current form of my body. Lastly, [Dreamscape] was a skill that Anis had trained for me. Being a separate soul, Anis had been using [Soul Control] in such a way, to induce lengthy vivid dreams. So much so, that the skill [Dreamscape] was created. It is amazing to think that all  of them are derived from [Soul Control]. By the time the training had ended, I had finally got me some clothes. I wore a red flannel polo with rolled up sleeves, a pair of dark blue jeans, and a pair of army green combat boots.

[Anis]: “You look good.”

Anis said as she summoned a mirror out of thin air. It’s the first time I had actually had a proper good look at myself. I had dark brown hair with light auburn streaks. My eyes were a dark shade of brown. And my complexion was fair with a slight suntan tone. Despite being Asian, I look close to a half.

[Klein]: “Thanks Anis. So, am I ready now?”

I asked, as I finished checking my physical features. No pun intended.

[Anis]: “Yes, you are. But are you sure you want to go now? If I end the dreamscape, it’ll take close to half a day to restart it with our current skill level.”

Anis said, as she unsummoned the mirror. I had thought about it for a month, and I agree that it might be risky to go now, but we both don’t have any information regarding the insides of a demon. While time maybe slow, it doesn’t mean we have all the time in the world. I can’t just train blindly.

[Klein]: “Yes, originally, my goal was to scout the insides of the demon and get back into the dreamscape after securing the desired amount of information. But since you said the dreamscape takes another twelve hours to recast, I think it’ll be better to train the dreamscape skill to reduce the time it needs to recast, if it is possible?”

Yes, I should gather information as soon as possible, but trying to survive for twelve hours is risky.

[Anis]: “That’s a good answer. And yes, we can train the skill, though indirectly. The skill consumes close to no magic power since it is cast internally, so energy is being recycled constantly. With that said, we can even train indefinitely. And the way to train the skill is by casting it or by improving the flow of magic energy used by the skill. So, the best way is to train your magic control skill. But that would be difficult. You had obtained the magic control skill with the aid of the system. Normally it is impossible, and even if you did have it, you can’t improve it since you do not have a magic energy controlling organ. But that is only if you were a being with a physical body.”

That’s right… Souls are beings close to magic and if I can morph my body in such a way that mimics a magic energy controlling organ then I can improve my magic control skill. As I thought this, Anis let a smile show on her face.

[Anis]: “Do I need to explain further? Seems like you got the idea.”

[Klein]: “Are you using the skill to read my mind? But yeah for now I want to practice this idea I have in my head.”

[Skills leveled Up: Magic Control (Level 10/1), Soul Control (Level 15/1), Memory Control (Level 5/1)(Leveled Up!), Polymorphic Soul (Level 7/0)]

Practicing magic control was difficult, I had to train while shaping my body to one that had a magic control organ that the skill [Soul and Memory Magic] had described. But after what seems to be three months, we had finally leveled the skill to a degree we are satisfied of.

[Anis]: “By now, I think we are completely prepared. Klein, you just need to look around for an hour and then I’d be able to recast the dreamscape.”

[Klein]: “That sounds good. So, what do you think we should expect once we wake up?”

[Anis]: “Probably an agonizing constricting tightness. The demon was human-like in size… Excluding the non-human parts. So, I think the first thing you should do is to shrink down to the size of a coin.”

This is probably showing on my face, but I had forgotten how tiring the situation was… I feel exhausted thinking about what’s about to happen, but I was able to set it aside more easily now. Must be because my composure had improved a bit. I just have to immediately shrink and start exploring.

[Klein]: “Thanks for the advice… And thanks for training me for a while now. I appreciate it. Seriously.”

My cheeks felt a little flush, but nonetheless I looked straight at her,  not looking away, in hopes of portraying how seriously grateful I felt. But the reaction I got wasn’t something I had expected. She tilted her head a little and gave me a full-blown smile.

[Anis]: “Thanks Klein. So, are you ready to wake up?”

[Klein]: “Uh… Yeah?”

I said dumbly as I was slightly stunned by her cuteness. But five seconds later, I had regretted not composing myself more. As Anis had continued to smile, the whole dreamscape instantly crumbled like broken glass. And then I opened my eyes to a bone crushing tightness. ‘Fudge’, I tried to say as my jaw couldn’t move. I wasn’t able to prepare the skill beforehand, so I grudgingly began casting while enduring the bone crushing sensation. Immediately after, I had shrunk to the size of a coin and was falling to my doom in his stomach acid. I quickly tried to grab the stomach walls with my bare hands, but it was slimy and slippery despite being so sticky, so I turned the tip of my fingers into pointy spikes and clawed at the walls as I was trying to climb out of the stomach.

[Anis]: “That was a close one Klein. Why weren’t you able to transform the moment you woke up?”

[Klein]: “Sorry about that… I hadn’t prepared my head mentally during the last minute.”

I said while being slightly embarrassed. ‘I can’t lose focus here’, I thought, chastising myself. The stomach is obviously pitch black. I couldn’t see a thing, so I began whistling and morphing my ears to a crude imitation of bat ears. The echoes had transformed into a mental map of the entire stomach. From there, I had found that something like a cliff was lining around the stomach directly above me. With that as my goal, I continued to climb towards the cliff. The climb was nauseating. Each time my clawed hands, dug into the wall, the wall pulsated as if telling me off. Not to mention the prominent smell of puke in the air. No matter how much I cover my nose using [Polymorphic Soul], the smell continued to penetrate everything.

[Klein]: “Finally!”

I shouted in glee as I had gotten onto the cliff.

[Anis]: “Good job Klein. But before you continue your relief of joy, the floor looks weird.”

I had gotten used to Anis talking to me in my dreamscape that it took me a while to realize that she is actually talking directly in my mind… I got to practice guarding my mind more seriously so that she won’t be able to read my mind too often. Going back to what she said. Yes, the floor looks weird. It was pulsating, I know we are in a demon’s stomach, but gross stuff is still gross. Cautiously, I morph my hand into a blunt staff.

[Anis]: “I don’t know what you are planning Klein, but I don’t think it is a good idea.”

[Klein]: “I am just making a walking stick. I’m only going to use this to scout which parts were safe.”

[Anis]: “Okay but be cautious.”

Anis said. Using the staff as a walking stick, everything seems fine. The floor was merely pulsating and nothing more.

[Klein]: “Looks okay. Let’s move around the cliff to see if we find something.”

[Anis]: “That’s good. Just be sure to remember that whatever you make is actually a part of you, so if that staff gets cut in half then a portion of your spirit form may be cut off as well. And right now, it is worse because your spirit form is super concentrated.”

Anis said as she reminds me. She is definitely right. Anything created from the skill are in essence part of me, so if it get cut off then I lose a part of my being, and in this case a large portion of it… As I thought that, I began moving to the wall to lean on as we explore the demon’s stomach. I manage to safely reach the wall, but the moment I was about to touch it, a hand  emerged and grabbed me.

[Klein]: “Fudge!”

I punched the thing that came out, causing it to let go. More began to surface from the walls.

[Anis]: “Klein run!”

And at this point. This is how our story connected to the current situation.


[ENTITY STATUS MENU VERSION 0.1.1 - BETA]

NAME: NAMELESS

TEMPORARY NAME: KLEIN

SPECIES: LIVING DISEMBODIED SOUL

TITLE: OTHER-WORLDER, BACK-DOOR USER, UNKNOWN TO THE GODS, LIVING UNDEAD

LEVEL: 0

OTHERWORLD ENERGY: 150

SOUL CAPACITY: 100/100

SOUL PARTICLES: 10/100

CORRUPTED SOUL FRAGMENT: 1

PARAMETERS:

Agility: 0

Strength: 0

Endurance: 0

Intelligence: 0

Dexterity: 0

Magic: 0

SKILLS:

Composure (Level 12/0)(Leveled Up!),  Running (Level 3/0), Stealth (Level 1/0), Magic Control (Level 10/1)(Leveled Up!), Soul Control (Level 15/1)(Leveled Up!), Memory Control (Level 5/1)(Leveled Up!), Mathematics (Level 20/0), Speech (Level 20/0), Polymorphic Soul (Level 7/0)(NEW!), Body Enhancement (3/0)(NEW!)

UNIQUE SKILLS:

Godly Sacrifice, Soul and Memory Magic (Level 2/1), Dreamscape (10/0)(NEW!)

TRAITS:

Hero System Beta, Back Door User, Disembodied, Not-Quite Undead, Soul Chimera Abomination, Memory Error

0