Chapter 3: Reminiscence, and Lunch 
204 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Warning for Flashback Purposes: Yuki will be referred to using they/them pronouns to avoid confusion in the scenes. As someone who understands the importance of proper pronouns, I will research different writing techniques for future chapters.)

Yuuji’s P.O.V:

When we reached the park, I became enamored by the beauty of a single cherry blossom sitting by itself in the corner of the park. This place brought back memories; it was where I first met Yuki eight years ago. They were here with their father, and I saved them from some bullies who were picking on them because, back then, they didn’t act like the other boys their age.

“Hey, how come you're playing with dolls? What are you, a freak?” I heard a boy yell at another kid who was sitting on the ground.

“He is. My father told me so. He told me to stay away from this kid because he's a freak, and his parents are too,” one of the boy’s friends told him.

“See, even adults think you're weird. I'll do you a favor and show you how to properly play with dolls. Give me that,” the boy said before snatching the doll out of the other kid’s hand.

“Give it back...” The kid started crying and tried to reach for the doll.

“You really are a wuss, crying over a doll,” the boy mocked as he tried to rip the doll's head off.

'I can't watch this anymore,' I thought to myself before running towards those kids. I tackled the boy with the doll, punched him in the face, and yelled, “Leave them alone. Why don’t you try picking on me instead?”

After I got off the first kid, who started crying, I retrieved the doll from his hands and punched his friend as well for good measure. After they both ran off crying to their mothers, I dusted off the doll and turned to the kid who had been bullied. They were still crying a little. When I saw them, I couldn’t believe they were a boy at first sight; they had a very feminine face. I patted their head, and when they looked up at me, I showed the brightest smile I could and said, “Don’t cry. I took care of them. Here's your doll back. My name's Yuuji. What's yours?”

They wiped away their tears and said in a soft voice, “Thank you. I'm Yuki.”

They hugged the doll I gave back tightly to their chest. I could tell how important it was to them, so I asked, “I can tell you really love that doll. Is it special?”

They looked at the doll for a moment and then said with a warm smile, “It was the last present I got from my grandma. She passed away recently. So, I love it a lot.”

A strong gust of wind blew as they finished their sentence, and falling cherry blossoms blew around us. When I saw the smile they had, it made me want to be their friend and protect them from people like those boys earlier.

“Hey Yuuji... earth to Yuuji, it's your turn,” I heard Yuri say, bringing me back to the present.

“Iyaa, don’t push so hard, Yuri,” I heard Yuki say as they fell into me. I braced myself for the impact, but there was no need.

I looked down at Yuki, who was leaning on my chest, and looked up at me with a worried look before asking, “Yuuji, are you okay? You looked like you were somewhere far away.”

I patted their head and said with the same big smile I showed when we were kids, “I'm fine. I was just remembering when we first met and became friends.”

“Heh, heh, as long as you're okay. But you're right; this place does hold a lot of memories,” they giggled before showing a sad expression.

As I was about to ask them what was wrong, they straightened themselves up and shook their head before giving me a warm and bright smile and said, “Come on, let’s eat. I know you're hungry.”

'If they don't want to talk about what was bothering them, I won’t push. I hope they will open up to me in time, though,' I thought to myself before replying, “Yeah, I'm starving. Thank you again for sharing.”

They giggled and said, “It’s no big deal. I just hope it suits your taste.”

“Come on, you two, let’s get under the tree and eat,” Yuri yelled out, already halfway to the tree.

“Yuri really hasn’t changed much,” I said before Yuki and I both laughed and quickly made our way to the tree as well.

After we got under the tree, Yuki sat beside me, and Yuri sat beside them.

“We can give one of our lunches to Yuuji, and you and I can share, Nee-chan,” Yuri told Yuki, who was pulling out the lunches and an extra set of disposable chopsticks and a thermos from her bag.

“That sounds good,” Yuki said before handing me one of the lunches.

“Thank you, but are you sure about letting me have a full box?” I asked, feeling a little perplexed about whether I should accept.

Yuki giggled and said, “It’s fine. You probably eat more than us anyway.”

“I don’t know if that is accurate. I seem to remember a certain sister that could out-eat me,” I said with a teasing smile, looking at Yuri.

“That's because Nee-chan's cooking is the bes... I mean, I don’t know who you could possibly be talking about. But if you keep it up, I will eat it instead, and you will miss out on Nee-chan's cooking,” Yuri started to say excitedly before doing a 180 and acting delusional.

'I don’t really want to miss this chance,' I thought to myself before saying in a pleading voice, “I’m sorry, Yuri-sama. I was thinking about someone else.”

“As long as you understand,” Yuri said with a slightly evil grin.

Yuki laughed at us and said, “Stop being silly, you two, and let’s eat.”

After we saw Yuki open the lunch box she had, we immediately stopped harassing each other. The food in the lunch box looked so good, like it was made by a professional. I started opening my lunch box as well, and the first thing I noticed was a red heart inside the rice.

'If Yuki made lunch, then this box has to be Yuri’s,' I thought to myself, looking at the cute heart.

“Ah, you gave Yuuji, my lunch box, Nee-chan,” Yuri yelled, seeing me looking at the heart, with an embarrassed look on her face.

“You really haven’t changed at all, Yuri. I bet you begged Yuki to do this for you,” I said before I started eating the rice. 'This is delicious; the rice is perfectly cooked and seasoned,' I thought as I started eating more.

“Of course I did. Stop eating it; that heart was meant for me,” Yuri whined.

“Yuri, I will make it up to you with two hearts tomorrow, so please calm down while we are eating,” I heard Yuki say, but it wasn’t in her usual tone, and I could see a purple aura starting to form.

“Eeek, I’m sorry, Nee-chan,” Yuri squealed before sitting back down.

When she sat back down, the purple aura soon dissipated. 'That was a little scary; Yuki normally doesn't ever get mad. I forgot she is strict when it comes to proper etiquette when eating,' I thought to myself.

Yuri was pouting a little from getting in trouble, but her expression soon changed when Yuki picked up a piece of chicken and said, “Yuri, say aaah...”

“Aahmm,” Yuri happily did as she was told and squealed, “It’s so good, and Nee-chan feeding me made it even better.”

Yuki giggled at Yuri’s reaction before giving her the chopsticks and opening the disposable ones to take a bite herself. As I was watching them, Yuki looked at me and seemed as if she was trying to figure something out, and then made a face like she realized what it was. She picked up a piece of chicken from my lunch box and said, “Here, Yuuji, say aaah...”

I froze a little as I watched her. 'Did she think I was watching them because I wanted to be fed too?' I thought to myself.

“Was this not what you wanted?” she asked as she tilted her head, seeming puzzled. I could see the question marks appearing above her head.

As I didn’t want her to feel embarrassed, I swallowed my own pride and took the bite that was offered to me.

Yuki gave me a happy look like she was proud she was right and asked, “Is it good?”

“It’s delicious,” I answered. 'In more ways than one. Yuri might have had a point about being fed,' I thought to myself.

“I’m glad you like it,” Yuki said with a warm smile.

Yuri started complaining after Yuki fed me, but we eventually finished our lunch. We sat under the tree relaxing for a couple of hours, reminiscing, and exchanged Line IDs. When I asked, “It’s the start of the new school year; did you come here with Uncle Shouji this morning, Yuki?”

Yuki and Yuri both looked at me with sad eyes, and Yuri held Yuki’s hand. Seeing their expressions, I immediately knew why Yuki looked sad earlier, and I regretted asking.

Eventually, Yuki answered, “I did come here this morning and spoke to Papa’s spirit. He passed away a year ago.”

I could see slight tears forming in both Yuki and Yuri’s eyes, and I said, “I’m so sorry, Yuki, Yuri. I asked something I shouldn’t have.”

Yuki looked at me and gave a small smile and said, “It’s okay. You didn’t know, and I know Papa is watching over us.”

After they dried their tears, Yuki said they needed to head home because Klare-nee and her husband were going to visit.

I was about to follow behind her when Yuri stopped me and said, “Wait a second, Yuuji, you heard the idiots in class earlier, right? How they said Nee-chan has been dressing like this since the last year of middle school?”

“Yeah, I remember, but I thought she started in the first year of middle school before I moved?” I answered and asked, wondering what had changed.

“She did, but after you moved away, she got bullied to the point she quit and kept her distance from everyone, including me at school, so I wouldn’t be bullied with her. Papa’s dying wish was for Yuki to be true to herself. So, she started dressing how she wanted and taking hormones, but the bullying became worse again. She has lost her trust in people. I want Nee-chan to have a happy high school life, I want her to make friends with people who respect her, but she has lost her trust in people. So, will you please help me help her?”

I gave a cheeky smile and said, “Of course I will, whether it is beating up bullies or finding her friends. I will help in any way I can.”

Yuri gave me a smile back before it turned into a teasing one. “Thanks, but you should keep in mind Nee-chan doesn't like violence, even if it is against people who deserve it. If you do it too much, she might start calling you a muscle-headed gorilla too.”

Before I could respond, Yuri already started running to Yuki while laughing and yelling, “Wait up, Nee-chan.”

“I guess I should teach myself how to use words instead of fists,” I said to myself. I then started running to catch up with them while thinking, ‘Of course, I will help Yuki with anything. After all, regardless of their gender, I’ve loved them since we were children.’

How do you feel about the characters' interactions and relationships in this chapter?
  • Heartwarming and endearing Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Funny and lighthearted Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emotional and touching Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (please specify) Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 9
10