[ Arc 01 ][ 12 ] Introduction
215 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don’t know how long it had been, but I felt I was floating in a thin space with no wind or pressure. It was like I was floating in the void full of nothingness. It was lonely and yet peaceful at the same time. No kind of disturbance happened, and I felt I could let go of all the weight off my shoulders and drift into oblivion. But it seems fate had other things planned for me because I suddenly felt my consciousness being pulled to the surface.

The first thing I felt was that I was floating somewhere while being held by something gently. So, I proceeded to pen my eyes slowly and saw that everywhere was a blur. Looks like my sight had not adjusted just yet, so I blinked a few times and my vision finally normalised.

It was then that I saw that I was resting on someone’s arms judging by the skin I saw beneath me. This made me wonder what was going on, and I raised my right hand to check only to see that it was the fluffy paw of a small animal.

“W-What’s this…?” I asked aloud as confusion settled in my chest.

Upon hearing my voice, a familiar feminine voice said, “Ah! You’re awake!”

A moment later, I was shifted around in the arms of the owner to let me see their face. It was a beautiful female girl with dark hair and a soft expression on her face.

“I’m so glad you’re awake! I was so worried!” She said, and raised me up to her before rubbing her cheek against mine.

“Huh?” I reacted with surprise because I was confused by what was happening.

However, it did not take long as my mind came together, and I remembered the events that happened, my life as an orphan by being a thief on the streets before being killed by this woman and then transformed into a rabbit only to be killed again by this very same woman.

“You! You killed me!” I snapped at her, using my fluffy paws to push myself away to stare angrily at her.

She blinked in surprise before looking apologetic and saying, “I’m sorry about that. I just lost my cool when you name called me, and I accidentally killed you without thinking,” and she stuck her tongue with a “oops” expression on her face.

This irritated me immensely, so I forcefully pushed myself out of her arms and landed gently on the ground. I checked myself for a moment to be sure that nothing was wrong with me before I turned back to face her with what I thought I was making a serious face.

“How did I become like this?! You killed me… and yet… I’m still alive! More than that, I’m now a rabbit! I’m a fragging rabbit! How?! How did I become a rabbit?! I demand answers, woman!” I demanded her with as serious of a voice that I can must.

The unknown woman nodded in agreement and said, “Yes. You have the right to know since you’ll soon be my hubby.”

“What? Hubby? What?!” I exclaimed, blinking at her in shock. “What do you mean?!”

She smiled and waved her hand at me to cool down before saying, “Well, you stole my purse from me. A bold move, I tell you, a very bold one because I detest being touched by humans, especially if they try to take my things.

So, I found you, and killed you on the spot because you weren’t worth much. But… as you died, that look you gave me… and those words… ah…!”

The woman finished and placed a hand on her check while looking as if she was reminiscing something exciting. I could not clearly remember what I did before dying in front of her, but I could vividly remember that I will kill her if I got the chance.

“Is this woman crazy?”

The sudden thought came to me, and I wondered what kind of woman she is, especially for me to be alive in front of her as an animal.

I waited for her to continue, but seeing that she was fixed on whatever happened then, I coughed and asked, “So? What happened next? How did I come back to life and in the body of a rabbit no less?”

“Ah,” she said, coming to her senses and smiling at me. “It’s simple, silly. I resurrected you.”

It took me a moment to realise what she just said because that’s how unbelievable her words were. Yet, it was slowly making sense despite how crazy this whole thing was. The fact that I have memories of my deaths and my current predicament as a fluffy rabbit, I felt like believing her words.

“You… resurrected me…? Does this mean… that you are a…?” I asked hesitantly.

“A necromancer,” She finished the sentence for me while nodding in assent.

I widened my rabbit eyes in shock at the revelation that I was brought back to life by a necromancer. My mother used to tell me stories since I was a kid, and in each of them, the necromancer is depicted as a villain that raises an army of the dead and wreaks havoc and chaos around the world. They usually work for the so-called Demon Lord with the sole purpose of destroying the world and making it anew.

“I… see…” I said slowly as I finally came to terms with what was going on. “I… became an undead…”

This seemed to surprise the woman as she reacted in surprise with, “Huh? An undead? When did you become an undead?”

I looked up at her as if it was obvious and said, “You, a necromancer, resurrected me from the dead. That automatically makes me an undead.”

“You are right that I’m a necromancer, but how does that make you an undead just by resurrecting you?” She asked, looking quizzical.

Her words made me feel something was off, and so I admitted, “My mother always told me stories when I was younger, and in those stories, the necromancers raised the dead which are known as the undead.”

“Oh~!” She said, finally understanding my point of view and letting out a chuckle.

“What? What’s so funny about becoming an undead?” I shot at her heatedly.

“Aww~! You are so cute~!” She said, suddenly getting off her feet and scooping me into her arms before I could resist. “So cute~!”

“Unhand me, woman! Let me go! Now!” I demanded as I struggled against her, who began rubbing her cheek against mine affectionately for some reason.

We were like this for a few seconds before she breathed a sigh and explained, “Actually, what you learnt from those stories is not wrong. Normally, a necromancer would resurrect an undead, but in your case it’s different.”

“Different? How?”

“For starters, you still retain your memories and personality,” she said, and I was surprised by it, “unlike an undead, which is just a disposable tool without a will of its own.”

“That… makes sense,” I admitted at her explanation. Then I got another question and asked her, “but why resurrect me like this? What’s so special about me that had you do this to me?”

At my question, she moved my body around to face her and said with a smile, “I’ve come to like you.”

I blinked in surprise at the unexpected words and asked, “Huh? You… like me?”

“Yes. Oh wait. Was it love?” She asked, suddenly doing a double take as she was not sure herself, which left me feeling confused. Then she shrugged her shoulders and said, “Whatever it is, I just came to like you so much as you died giving me a fierce deadly look and saying that you’d kill me. I swear, I got goosebumps from it, and I instantly fell head over heels for you.”

“Huh?!” I exclaimed incredulously. “You’re saying you came to love me as I stared you down and threatened to kill you as I died in front of you? Huh?! How can that equate to you loving that person so much?”

“I don’t know!” She replied by shaking her head. “I’ve killed lots of humans that got in my way but… this was the first time I got this… chill! It was… frightening! Yes! I was scared for the first time in my life by the words of a dying man and… I just came to love that person and longed for him!”

“And that’s how you resurrected me because you’ve taken a deep liking to me,” I said, and she nodded with a wide smile on her face. I shook my head and sighed before asking, “But why in the body of a rabbit specifically?”

“Because I like rabbits,” she replied straightforwardly.

I was taken aback by this simply reply and asked, “Wait? That’s it? You put me in this body because of your liking to animals?”

She shook her head this time and corrected me with, “Not just any animal. A rabbit. It has to be a rabbit because rabbits are cute, cuddly, and just so adorable!”

“It’s official. This necromancer girl is whacked,” I thought after seeing her making cute expression, which was a contrast to the scary expression I remembered her make as she killed me.

It was then that I noticed my anger subsiding with her as I found her odd actions to be cute and adorable. I should not be really feeling like this towards my killer, but for some reason, she just gave off a very friendly feeling, and I felt I could trust her. It had been a very long time since I trusted anyone, so this made me feel very out of place with her.

Still, I shook my head because of her silliness and asked, “You said you liked me, so wouldn’t it have been better to put me back in my original body?”

“I did think of that,” she admitted to my question, “but I also thought that I might kill you on the spot because of my hatred towards humans in general.”

“Oh. I see,” I replied, heaving a sigh and saying, “but you still killed me just before.”

“Ah! T-T-That was m-my mistake!” She stuttered with an apparent embarrassment of her actions. “I lost my cool and I… I accidentally killed you, b-b-b-but…! You’re also partially at fault! If you didn’t say such mean things to me, I… I wouldn’t have lost my cool!”

“Can you blame me when I suddenly woke up thinking that I died only to find myself in the body of a rabbit with my killer trying to feed me carrots?!” I exclaimed furiously.

To this, she made an embarrassed expression and said, “I’m sorry about that. Really. I’m really sorry.”

I sniffed and looked away with irritation, and she began pleading with me in a desperate attempt for me to turn and look at her. While she did her attempts, I came to slowly like her and enjoy this feeling of being cared. If she wanted to do something bad to me, it was easy for her since I’m now a helpless rabbit, but the fact that she keeps trying to win me over instead of using force goes a long way to show her caring towards me.

“I guess I can’t remain angry at her forever after seeing this side of her,” I thought and inwardly sighed.

“Fine. You win,” I relented and turned to her.

“Ah! Yay~!” She exclaimed and pulled me into a hug that felt like I would get crushed.

After desperately trying to breathe, I pushed her away and asked for her name.

“So, necro-girl? What’s your actual name?”

“Necro-girl?” She asked with a chuckle. “Is that my nickname?” After laughing for a moment, she smiled and told me her real name.

“My name is Irene Tunison. What’s your name, My Lovey-Dovey Rabbit?”

I paused for a moment in shock upon hearing such a horrid nickname and expressed, “That’s a stupid nickname,” in rejection, but she merely chuckled. Still, I smiled as I found her expression rather cute and said, “I’m Lark.”

“Lark…” she repeated with a thoughtful look on her face as if she was thinking about the name. Then she smiled and said, “Great! It’s a pleasure meeting you, Lark,” and held her hand out to me.

I looked at the outstretched hand in bewilderment and then looked up at her, where she quickly looked like she was going to cry if I did not shake it. Leaving me with no choice, I sighed and extended my fluffy hand out, and she gripped my paw gently and shook it.

This was how I, a resurrected human now the form of a rabbit and a necromancer who was smitten by me, began our lives together.

5