Chapter 3 – That Night
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."

There was a dense tranquility in the living room. The four of us: Mum, Dad, Genie and I remained stone faced.

What's with this silence?

Someone say something please.

And to answer my quiet pleas my dad spoke up.

"So Alaric you got your ass beat?"

I feel deep regret in my heart now.

"Dad! I was trying to tell you it was a tactic! A tactic! I just needed to get some ground to win"

"But you were all over it?"

"That's what I said to him"

"Sorry about that my boy is really stubborn"

"I've realized but it's good to see he doesn't get it from his father"

"Ahh you flatter me too much hahah!"

Why are these two getting along so well?

I went to go look at my mum for support...

"Ahh he's only 17 and he's already bringing home a wife"

She's useless!

"Mum don't say that it's almost like your casting a curse on me"

"Pardon me Ma'am but your son could never be considered a viable option"

"Oh?"

While I don't know why that genie felt her input was required. It did seem to catch my mum off guard.

Wait a bit longer for grandkids okay?

"Ohhhhh I get it!"

My mum started smiling again.

She's saying she gets it but for some reason I feel she got a different message.

"You know this is just how I met your father! At the Strongest Beyond Hell martial arts tournament. We both matched in the quarter finals and I ended up beating him!"

"Right..."

I don't have the heart to clear up her misunderstandings.

"Beat is a strong word! I allowed you to grapple me so I could move the game to the ground where I was stronger to win"

"But you were all over it and still lost?"

"Uhh...Well ..That's..."

I'm seeing a familiar scene.

But it's probably just my imagination.

As I watched my parents bicker I looked over at the genie and made a sleeping motion with my hand.

She nodded.

Seems she's tired too and in that case.

"Wellll look at the time. I'm gonna go to my room and she can take the couch"

I said while standing up.

"You'd make a girl sleep on the couch? What if it was me on a date?"

"Yes absolutely. Women have the privilege to sleep in unfavorable conditions the same as men."

"Tch this boy. Even using privilege like it's a blessing." 

"I thought I raised a man. I guess there's still much I need to work on."

"I was made in your image the work needs to be done on yourself."

My parents looked at me as if I wasn't their very own flesh and blood.

My parents looked at me as if I wasn't their very own flesh and blood

While watching us I could see a smile creep up on the genies face.

So she can make a face like that.

"If she's just a friend then why don't you take ...err actually what's her name?"

My mum whispered to me.

"I dunno"

"I'm gonna look for your birth certificate later"

I didn't think she would have a name. But I was planning to ask her eventually or wish her one otherwise.

"Sorry miss I don't think I caught your name earlier?"

"Nadiya"

"Ohhh how exotic, Middle Eastern I assume?"

"Yes it's Arabic"

This girl has a race?

I guess genies aren't above labels either.

But I'll keep that to myself.

"But anyway since she's just a friend then there should be no issue with Nadiya sleeping in your room?"

"What's the correlatio—?"

"Bye"

And within seconds Nadiya and I were pushed up the stairs and right into my room.

"Tsk how annoying. Sorry for the mess but look, I'll sleep on the floor you just take my bed. You can use some of my clothes as pajimas too"

I got an extra cover and pillow and placed it on the floor. Nadiya was staring at me as I was doing so.

"What? Don't tell me you're falling in love?"

Oh no. How should I reject her?

"Say that again and I'll beat you"

"I'm sorry"

Never mind.

"But it's funny how you were so quick to send me to the couch but you instantly gave me the bed at your expense and clothes too"

When she said that, I don't know why but I couldn't look in her direction and just stared at the floor.

"Awww are you embarrassed?"

"Not in the slightest! My face just feels hot because it's warm outside"

"It's winter"

I ignored whatever she said and made myself comfortable. She did the same.

"lively"

Nadiya randomly started speaking after moments of silence.

"?"

"Your family. They're bursting with energy."

"I guess so. Kinda makes me a black sheep since we're so different"

"No not really"

I'll ignore that.

"After all compared to them. I'm just the chill lowkey guy who does his own thing and doesn't give a fuck about what anyone thinks."

"We need to discuss your self image."

I'll ignore that too.

"But regardless of our differences they're still my parents. so obviously I still love them, don't misunderstand me. Also did you just snort when I said differences just now?"

"I could never"

This girl...

She should be strong enough to survive being thrown out my window, surely.

As I was getting ready to test out my theory a thought had flashed my mind.

"Nadiya... do you have parents?"

In the end I made her take a human form but I didn't consider if she had anything back waiting for her.

 Though I planned to just humble her, I can't take someone's little girl away from them.

If she does then I'll have to nullify the contract.

As I was feeling remorseful over my actions she replied.

"Pfft NO! We spirits don't need parents to come into existence. We're not a pitiful beings that rely on each other to live. HAHAHA! Did you really try likening moi to something on your level? LOOL"

I don't know what I was feeling before. 

But whatever it was it's gone.

"Good night Nadiya"

"Haaa.. man that was too funny. Good night Alaric"

I decided I would just go to bed in the end.

After all I'm a mature man that doesn't let words affect him.

"I wish that you have sleep paralysis tomorrow"

"wait what?"

"nothing. Good night"

"No wait! Take the wish back! Alaric I'm sorry"

She was saying something. But I couldn't hear her over the sounds of her saying something.

I guess I'll go to bed.

"Wake-up! I'm sorry. This is bad for both of us! what happened to the chill lowkey guy who doesn't care about what anyone thinks?"

I feel like she raised a good point. But I was counting sheep at this point.

"I wish you fell asleep"

"Huhh?... nooo"

Her body fell on top of me. I carried her back to my bed and tucked her in.

I then went back to the floor.

I've come to realize.

Maybe genies are useful after all!

2