Chapter 24: The Cooldown/ The Regal Siblings
632 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24
Eleanor Deveena

They were almost back at the Academy. Eleanor’s dark crimson hair flowed as it touched the ocean air. She breathed in the salty taste of the ocean. Her eyes gazed deeply at the blue waters that were tainted of orange by the sunset. 

She noticed a raven-haired girl walking up to her. Elsie waved her hand. “Yo,” She said, smiling smugly. Eleanor raised an eyebrow, confused, before suddenly blushing as she realized why Elsie was in such a smug mood, looking away as she absentmindedly played with her hair. “So you scored tonight, huh?” Elsie jabbed.

“S-shut up!” Eleanor squealed as she slapped Elsie’s arm, “Stop smiling at me!”

Elsie just laughed. “Ah geez, Eleanor, how was it? How was the booty?”

Eleanor looked at her shyly, before covering her face, “It’s so awkward talking about this to my ex…” 

“Can you really call me an ex if our relationship only lasted a week? Besides, it’s only awkward if you make it awkward,” Elsie rebutted, “I’m happy for you, Veronica’s the serious type. She’d definitely take care of you.”

The red tints on the tips of Eleanor’s ears turned even redder as her face stiffened with embarrassment. Elsie took a peek at her face, “I gotta ask. I’ve noticed you haven’t sat down since the first day we got back to the Vadstena. Don’t tell me you…” Her eyes loomed over Eleanor’s arse with a scandalous expression. “...haven’t been able to sit since your little tumble in the sheets?”

Eleanor’s face puffed like a pufferfish and whispered angrily, “I was able to sit when we were talking about Veronica’s situation!”

“And you were fidgeting like crazy! Though it wasn’t appropriate to bring it up at the time…”

Eleanor pinched Elsie’s arm like crazy, but the raven-haired girl chuckled without restraint. “Ahh, my little Eleanor, finally grown up and eaten by a wolf…”

“Pervert…”

“Out and proud!” Elsie yelled. She patted Eleanor’s back, before turning serious. “Take care of each other, alright? Although Veronica feels safe and reassured when she’s with you, I can sense her emotions growing frantic when you two are separate. Make sure it doesn’t turn into something nasty like codependency.”

“Veronica’s strong and stubborn, Elsie,” Eleanor said, her eyes glazed with the color of the ocean, “She’ll definitely be okay. And she’ll definitely walk again.”

Their trip back to the Academy occurred without incident. It was peaceful, almost contradictory to how the trip began. A part of Eleanor felt it was anticlimactic. Though she’ll never admit it. Some things were better left unsaid.

EE-Thirty

She didn’t feel all that different. EE-Thirty had thought losing a soul would have felt more...empty? However, she didn’t really feel all that different. Certainly, the biggest change she noticed since becoming an empty husk without a soul was her disconnect with the Sanctuary’s Will.

Rather than panicking at the idea of becoming an Exile, EE-Thirty just yielded to the newly found solitary. It was strange, EE-Thirty had thought she would have despaired over losing the spiritual connection to the thing her people worshipped, but instead, she felt a strange wave of calmness wash over her. She had something far more important to think about: survival. The elf needed a way off the Red Zone island and fast.

After the Vadstena’s departure and the subsequent battle between the corrupted majin and the sea monster, EE-Thirty ventured out and explored the island. There wasn’t a single trace of wildlife, all things considered.

She thought there would have been at least fish in the ocean, but that giant sea creature scared them all off, it seemed. 

Her stomach grumbled. For two whole days she had to survive off of rations in her magic pocket. A strangely sickening odor wafted into her nose. Out of pure morbid curiosity, she followed the smell.

There, conspicuously right inside the doors of the Harpocrates buildings was a charred body, as if someone flung it into a furnace. It reeked of sulfur and burnt mana. The doors had been open, allowing the smell to waft outside.

The body looked male. Well, just barely. Considering how new it was, she thought it was either one of the elves under her command or a human.

Curiously, one morning, she found a black blob of shadow and fog crawling across the ground like a dying animal. It had flowers sprouting out of its body.

Although the black goo looked grotesque, the smell it emanated was surprisingly sweet, like a cloak of deception. Ah, she realized, It’s that Majin.

When it noticed her, it started to follow her around. Although it was slow, the glob was very diligent. An idea formed in her head; a way to get out of here. The Majin needed a body to actively manipulate the world around it.

She noticed that Ayperos had worn corpses sewed together by an unseen force. It should have no problem assimilating into the corpse she found. 

Putting some distance between her and the blob, but also making sure it knew where she went, EE-Thirty started to work on a trap. Creating a sigil and implanting it into the corpse, she waited for Ayperos to catch up to her. She closed the doors to buy herself some more time. 

A few minutes later, after the sigil was in place, she heard a fleshy noise.

There it was, sliding through the cracks of the door like a diseased cockroach. 

EE-Thirty’s hands snaked around the back of the charred corpse, carrying it like a sack of potatoes. Normally she would have been too disgusted to go anywhere near it, but right now, she felt no such inhibitions.

Just a few steps away from Ayperos, or what was left of her, EE-Thirty threw the corpse into the black sentient puddle. Like starved piranhas, the goo enveloped the body, seeping into the tiniest cracks.

For a few seconds, the body remained still, without any trace of the goo. It jerked upwards suddenly. EE-Thirty heard the cracks of its spine. The sounds of squashed organs reverberated through the room as bones reassembled themselves.

Then, the corpse stood deathly still; the gaping holes where the eyes used to be stared at her. It lunged at her, its claws mere centimeters away from her neck. With an expression of pure serenity and calmness, she snapped her fingers, instantly paralyzing the creature.

She watched the feral prince snarl at her like a cornered animal. The once eloquently spoken Majin was now reduced to a primal state. “Let’s make a deal,” EE-Thirty said.

Little by little, Ayperos regained their more cognitive functions and EE-Thirty knew that. She watched as Ayperos’ twitchy movements became more fluid and refined. “You need a body. I want a way out.”

“Hrehhhh…” Ayperos moved their mouth, getting used to their new vessel, “you…..gaveee meee ah….derriblllee... body…” 

“That’s the only one on hand, and I’m not giving you mine. If you get me out of here, I’ll find you the perfect vessel. That’s my offer for you.”

“Aaaaaaand eff….I...shaay…. nooh?”

“Then the sigil I placed in that corpse will burn you from the inside out.” A cold smile met Ayperos’ bemused expression.

“Hrm.” That ghostly smile met EE-Thirty’s firm gaze. Ayperos laughed. “Fine then. I’ll play along. However,” The prince shuffled the charred brittle legs to the elf, its nasty stench coated in vanilla and flowers placed itself right next to EE-Thirty’s nostrils, and with a whisper, Ayperos said, “But I get to choose my vessel. Revenge is a tasty dish.” Ayperos’ speech was mostly back to normal.

“Who?” EE-Thirty asked.

“Eleanor.”

“That can be arranged.”

Eleanor Deveena

The sound of the Vadstena parking at the docks sent out a wave of relief through Eleanor. She glanced at Veronica who was sitting on a wheelchair. Thankfully the Vadstena always had tools on hand to help those with disabilities onboard. The silver-haired girl smiled back and caressed Eleanor’s palm, stroking it softly. It felt ticklish. Eleanor tried hard not to think back on that night.

She pushed Veronica through the lowered deck and onto land. Dozens of her classmates, along with the Chancellor who had a wry smile, welcomed them. A tinge of regret and guilt stabbed Eleanor’s heart, but she powered through it, ignoring it as she smiled.

“I’m back.”

*****

The Chancellor escorted the returnees to a meeting hall, isolated from the rest of the Academy. Its purpose was specifically to hold confidential meetings.

Leylon and Veronica had explained most of the events that had transpired throughout their trip, barring of course, Veronica’s transformation. Her father lied, saying she suffered an injury resulting from the strange Majin and hasn’t been able to walk since. The Chancellor offered the best medical services the Academy had to offer, but Elsie intervened, saying she’d be able to get in contact with the Royal Sage. Eleanor also kept secret what she saw while watching Poima's life. Something told her what transpired there was better left alone.

Eleanor felt a single bead of nervous sweat crawl down her spine. The way the Chancellor stared at them was nothing short of suspicious, but surprisingly let it go. She complained about paperwork though. Called the loss of life “damages”. That irked Eleanor.

More importantly for the Chancellor, she had her attention on a strange artifact Sixty-Six brought back. The Cleanser’s Crown, or skull, as she called it. 

There was something about the Chancellor that rubbed Eleanor the wrong way. The redhead eased her nerves by clenching onto the wheelchair holders above Veronica as the Chancellor called the trip a “rousing success”, completely ignoring the fact that they had lost many people.

The Chancellor’s whole attention was on that bloody skull. She was enraptured with it, and that terrified Eleanor. As if shooing away the onlookers, the Chancellor quickly agreed to sending out a message to Marquis Eillenheart. 

“I’m going to need a private conversation with Sir Sixty-Six,” She said, kicking everyone out.

Am I being childish? Eleanor thought to herself, thinking back on how she felt belittled by the Chancellor. How everyone was belittled by the Chancellor’s uncaring and thoughtless attitude.

She closed the door behind her, only catching a glimpse between Sixty-Six and the Chancellor.

The Regal Siblings

A young woman with pure white pupils placed a hand on her cheek, seemingly exasperated by the turn of events. Her floating head bounced on a neck of black flames. 

The black suit she donned made her look like a very handsome albeit supernatural nobleman. Her short hair gave her a very youthful and attractive appearance. Her pale skin looked like it was touched by the moonlight. 

She watched the creature that towered before her, a dark violet-skinned creature with pins for feet, glaring at her. In an attempt to calm the feminine beast, she caressed the lightish pink curly hair that nearly dripped to the ground. It was an impressive amount of hair since the creature was at least nine feet tall.

“I felt. The pain. Of our. Youngest.” the tall one spoke slowly, “They’re in. Huge pain. Trapped in. Those Caverns. Let’s go. Sitri.”

The neckless girl, Sitri, shook her head, “Mother Marbas ordered us to leave Ayperos to their own devices. We will have to trust in their abilities to survive. Ayperos is a survivor. Trust in Mother Marbas’ plan, Bathin.”

“Mother. Left them. Threw them. To wolves. Like an. Experiment. She does. Not care!” Bathin swung her arm in frustration, releasing a sharp purple haze. Sitri blinked out of the way, dodging the attack that cut down a dozen trees. “She spends. More time. With mortals! Mother is. Now finding. A new. Mortal toy!”

“Bathin, relax, please. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.” Sitri cooed Bathin like a child would to a frightened kitten. Her voice had a strangely relaxing quality to it. Bathin’s tense shoulders drooped and she sat back in a dingly little chair, feeling strangely sleepy. 

Although Bathin was sitting, she was still far taller than Sitri, so the dressed up noblespirit flew up and placed her hands on Bathin’s shoulders, massaging them. “I’m sorry. Lost temper. Cannot. Forgive. Mother.”

“I understand your frustrations, younger kin. I do.” She hugged Bathin, her face near the taller majin’s ear, “If you have doubts on Mother Marbas’ plans, then trust me in her stead.”

Bathin seemed unwilling, that much Sitri was aware of. Sitri’s younger sibling was a very stubborn mule, and Sitri loved that about Bathin. “Want to hear my thoughts on the matter?” 

After a few seconds of silence, Sitri continued, “I think Mother Marbas deliberately let the Demons collect Ayperos. Don’t you find it a bit suspicious that a flesh race was able to steal something right underneath her nose? I don’t think so.”

“Hmhmh?” Bathin let out an unintelligent growl, confused. Did that mean Bathin’s suspicions were confirmed?

“Not because she didn’t care about Ayperos, mind you, but because she wanted them to grow up strong. Powerful. An experiment of sorts to test their mettle. We were all born under her protection, however, Ayperos is special.”

“Special…”

“Yes indeed. I don’t know the full extent of it, but Ayperos has inherited qualities from Mother Marbas that we did not. She can’t treat Ayperos the same way she treated us. Mother Marbas is all-encompassing, all-knowing. There’s nothing she has not seen.”

Bathin didn’t say anything in return. Her body swayed, exhausted. Her violet eyelids drooped, in the cusp of sleep. Sitri smiled gently, “In regards to the mortals, every mortal she’s grown attached to has always served us in one way or another. Always. Be it heroes or murderers, Mother Marbas knows how to pick the most valuable of the flesh.”

“You’re...right…” Bathin responded, just barely, “Every...mortal...chosen...served...our...family…” then, she collapsed against the table, shattering it before she fell completely on the grassy plain. Sitri’s gentle smile widened. 

“It’s best for you to sleep, dear sibling,” She said, “Understanding the more meticulous parts of Mother Marbas’ plans are beyond you.”

Sitri observed the damage caused by Bathin’s previous tantrum. With a flick of a finger, the damage done to the forest was undone. It was simple to Sitri, like flicking the lights on.

Her pale legs morphed into a black flame as she levitated upwards to a massive height, gazing over the forest of spirits. Of Ghosts. Majin.

She watched the lesser of her kind fumble about in their hosts, acting out mortal scenes like some sort of twisted play.

There was one couple that brought her great interest. A man and a woman, as naked as the day they were born, consummated underneath the trees, biting and gnawing into flesh and bone. The winner was the petite woman, who bit off a large portion of the man’s neck, effectively exorcising the majin out of the host. 

The poor man, without the energy of the majin, could not survive and drowned in a pool of his own blood as the rabid woman continued to munch on his face and stomach. 

“Ah~” She giggled, “I guess these two majins must’ve been young ones. They had absolutely no idea how humans actually procreate. I should build a lesson on that.”

She disappeared in a blink of an eye, as if she was never there.

Not a lot happened this chapter, so I deigned to write some of it as a more 'summary'-esque style. Many might think the Chancellor is terrible at her job, but trust me, she is going to be signing a lot of paperwork and paying a hefty sum to Michael Hernold's parents over his death. She's good at that kind of thing, so she ain't all that worried. It's the Sanctuary that she might have a bit of trouble with.

Though for her it's a win. She got something valuable out of Eleanor's expedition.

For any of you who want it spelt out, the burnt corpse is

Spoiler

Michael's.

[collapse]

Also, since the chapter was going to be short and a bit uneventful, I decided to introduce three of Ayperos' family members.

I simp for Sitri. Oh Sitri please burn me with your fiery rear.

Next chapter is when things start picking up from the flash-forward. See you around.

9