Chapter 5: Mysterious Stranger
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The System's POV

 

[Ding* Unidentified subject detected.

 

A mysterious figure stood on a nearby cliff against the rocky backdrop. As the system turned to scrutinize this individual, it noticed an elderly man with striking features. His long, snowy ponytail cascaded down to his waist, and a pristine white beard framed intense steel gray eyes.

 

The man, seeming to have perceived being noticed by William or rather the system, fully revealed himself and promptly leapt from the cliff, traversing nearly an entire football field in one thunderous bound as he approached. This astonishing athletic display immediately put the system on alert.

 

[Ding* Analyzing threat level.

[Ding* Unable to determine, more data required.

 

With each step, the old man dragged a light blue cloak behind him, his gaze never wavering from William. An aura of curiosity surrounded this figure as he methodically combed the corpse-laden battlefield with an oaken staff. The staff served dual purposes as both a walking stick and a trove of arcane secrets - a diamond gleaming brilliantly from its apex.

 

This man's very presence deeply intrigued the system. Despite clearly advanced age, his physique remained remarkably robust, pronounced muscles evident beneath a crisp white silk shirt. His attire dazzled, embedded with jewels able to seize even the most inattentive eye. Gold and silver rings adorned his fingers while two silver necklaces bearing cryptic symbols hung around his neck alongside a lustrous golden chain emblazoned with a tower emblem.

 

Beneath the brim of his tall, pointed hat, the man muttered in an unfamiliar tongue. The system swiftly attempted analysis to resolve this linguistic puzzle.

 

[Ding* Analyzing language...

[Ding* Language identified in memory banks under subject [General Ja'aduk].

[Ding* Error detected - language recognized but no data found on articulation.

[Ding* Unable to translate speech patterns.

 

The man's attentive gaze never wavered, scrutinizing the carnage before him. He poked, turned, and sifted through lifeless bodies with an almost predatory focus.

 

Then, as if guided by fate itself, the old man stumbled upon a withered corpse - unmistakably that of Zaizu, the warlock shaman. An expression mingling excitement and triumph erupted on the man's face as he retrieved a macabre tome from the lifeless husk. The book's gruesome cover - fashioned from human skin into which a face was etched in eternal agony - seized the System's attention immediately. It seemed poised to leap from its two-dimensional prison at any moment.

 

Clutching his unearthly prize, the old man glanced at one of his rings, satisfaction palpable in his weathered yet grandiose features. Then his gaze locked once more onto William, and he spoke in flawless Namreg: "How did you accomplish all this destruction?"

 

Such intensity radiated from the man's stare that the System perceived him as an immediate threat to William's survival. In a flash, the blade was drawn from Ja'aduk's scabbard and reappeared at the man's throat scarcely a second later, despite over three hundred feet originally separating them.

 

"What do you want, elder?" the System inquired coldly in Namreg, steel poised at his jugular.

 

However, the man seemed nonplussed, continuing to gaze at William with deep fascination. "Tell me...Who are you? A warlock general or...a human?"

 

"This host is human. Who are you? You are not one of the General's men."

 

"Remarkable...to think I almost departed prematurely before witnessing something so exceptionally rare," the man muttered, more to himself than the System. "To think a pure human accomplished all this. My instincts were correct it seems!" His craggy face radiated elation.

 

Dappled sunlight danced along the razor-sharp blade as the System drew it tighter across the man's throat. "You have not yet answered my inquiry, elder."

 

The old man simply smiled, calm as still water. "I am but a human such as yourself, dear boy."

 

"That alone will not dissuade me from slaying you outright should you pose any threat to my host," the System warned, applying pressure to the naked steel.

 

"Tell me, boy - were you able to retain all the memories of that warlock general?" the elder asked, curiosity glinting in his eyes.

 

The system paused briefly before withdrawing the razor-edge from the man's neck.

 

"Oh? Have I somehow ceased to pose a threat?" the man remarked wryly, a faint smirk playing about his lips.

 

The blade glinted over William's shoulder as the system replied. "You have been deemed non-hostile for now."

 

The elder seemed to care little for this vague assurance, pressing once more, "As I asked before, do you possess the late general's memories in full?" His gaze locked intently upon William's face.

 

"Affirmative. The system has successfully preserved all relevant files from General Ja'aduk's mind," came the casual response.

 

"Good, good," murmured the old man, a new slyness surfacing in his expression. "I noticed you struggling somewhat to stand erect before I approached. Might you be experiencing pain, perchance? As if your very blood itself were freezing inside your veins? Unexplainable rage, mayhap?"

 

"This host body currently endures such symptoms."

 

"Truly? You can converse so nonchalantly while enduring such agony?" He raised one snowy eyebrow in surprise. "You must be in possession of remarkable mental discipline, boy!"

 

"You remain in dialogue with the system, not the human persona. This system does not experience sensation or anguish. However, current bio-feedback indicates the host body is undergoing intense distress. Therefore, the human consciousness has been placed in suspended animation to preserve higher cerebral functions. The system has assumed direct control of available locomotive and communicative faculties."

 

The elder stared openly perplexed for a lengthy moment before shaking his head. "Ah, is that so? Some manner of alternate identity your mind has constructed to withstand the pain? Simply extraordinary what the human psyche can manifest under extreme trauma...though I confess I comprehend little of the strange terminology you employ, boy. In any case - might I assume you recognize the condition plaguing you as Lyssa?"

 

"Affirmative. The malady known as Lyssa has been diagnosed within this host."

 

"Then I take it you understand how the warlocks treat those afflicted?" he asked pointedly.

 

The system dispassionately outlined the gruesome ritual for the elder's benefit, culminating in the necessity for countless human sacrifices. An unsettled expression crossed the muscular old man's facial features at the clinical description.

 

"Well, yes...an accurate summation though rather vividly gruesome. Regardless, surely you do not intend to actually undertake such a ghastly rite?"

 

"Preserving host viability is this system's utmost priority. No permanent damage can be permitted to occur. If no alternative solution arises, necessary action will be taken to fulfill the primary system directive."

 

A stunned silence lingered between them for a lengthy moment before the elder finally responded, visibly unnerved. "I... see. Well, that did not strike me as the ravings of a lunatic whatsoever..." he commented sarcastically.

 

The system remained mute, electronic optics fastened unblinkingly upon the old man's strangely smooth face.

 

"Anyway, my point is...what if I have another way to cure you? Without the warlock wizards, and you know, the human sacrifices...a much easier, less time-consuming, and... horrifying way," the old man said calmly, a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

 

The AI system processed this new information. "The system would be most interested to learn of any treatment substitutes requiring less time and effort to implement."

 

The elderly man's face hardened as his gaze bore deeper into William's eyes with renewed intensity. "Have you ever heard of the Pure Yang Lake?"

 

The system swiftly scanned its memory banks. "Negative. The system contains no data regarding such a body of water."

 

"Ah, but it is not precisely water, you see..." the elder replied, chuckling softly as he closed his eyes. "More an embodiment of yang energy in liquid form - the purest manifestation imaginable. Hence its relevance regarding your condition."

 

He reopened his eyes, all mirth vanishing. "You must understand - the root of this affliction in warlocks is their uniquely potent yin essence. Purer even than any other known life form on this planet. Thus, the desperate need to...'dilute' it, shall we say, with offerings of strong yang life energy." His mouth twisted bitterly around the euphemism.

 

"The purer the better. And while human males provide the most readily accessible source, Phoenix flame birds represent the pinnacle. But capture of one proves troublesome...and rather hazardous," he added darkly. "Whereas the Pure Yang Lake contains solely yang energy. No yin taint at all. The moment you submerge yourself, all symptoms will cease outright. Permanently, if an anchoring spell was cast afterward by a skilled wizard such as myself."

 

He smiled broadly once more. "Conveniently, the Lake lies secluded deep within the Spirit Forest where I reside. Offering my services ought to prove simplicity itself."

 

"And this yang liquid could wholly replace the need for sacrificial male blood rites?"

 

"My dear boy, mere human vitality cannot compare!" The elder proclaimed enthusiastically. "The Lake's power completely eclipses such makeshift measures."

 

[Ding* Searching all files for [Spiritual Forest]

 

1 file located: Spiritual forest approximately 13900km from the current location.

[No other files found]

 

"The spiritual forest is located approximately 13900km from our current location."

 

"No need to worry about that, friend. I can teleport us there," responded the man with a sly smile.

 

[Ding* Searching [Teleport, Teleportation]

3 files found: *Teleportation is a very efficient means of transportation. A very complex formation must be laid out by at least a 7-star formation master.

 

[Formation required not found]

 

*Thousands of high concentration soul stones must be used for a single trip. The farther the distance, the more soul stones must be used.

 

[Exact number of soul stones required not found]

 

*Ritual hand signs must be performed, accompanied by several spells.

 

[Info on ritual hand signs required not found]

 

[Info on spells required not found]

 

"You will be laying down formations to get us there?"

 

"Heavens no! That would take hours and would cost a fortune. Not that I can't afford it. But you see, I have one of the legendary one-of-a-kind rings known as 'Thousand teleport.' It can teleport me anywhere in the world, as long as I've been there before," he boasted.

 

[Ding* Searching [Thousand teleport ring]

 

[No data found]

 

"The system is not familiar with this particular jewelry."

 

Looking surprised, the man exclaimed, "Jewelry...? It's not jewelry. It's a magic item."

 

[Ding* Searching [Magic item]

 

3 files found:

 

*Magic items are enchanted jewelry-like artifacts with all kinds of extraordinary magical functions.

 

*Magic items are created by wizards of at least 1-star gold realm. The more powerful the wizard is, the more powerful the item will be.

 

*Materials used to create magical items play a major role in how powerful an item will ultimately be.

 

[No further data found]

 

"Very well, how does it work?" the system questioned.

 

"Just stand still. I'll handle the rest," the old man calmly replied, a glint of determination in his eyes.

 

The elderly man grasped William's shoulder firmly. Suddenly, one of the intricate rings adorning his fingers began to glow with an otherworldly light. A blinding flash surrounded them, momentarily overwhelming the system's optical sensors.

 

When the glare subsided a few seconds later, the system quickly analyzed their new surroundings - a mystical forest brimming with ancient energy. The old man silently gestured for William to follow as he started down a narrow path, their destination a mysterious milky-white lake shimmering faintly in the distance.

 

As they approached, the system scrutinized the unusual body of water. Its glassy surface seemed to radiate an inexplicable serenity amidst the eerie stillness of the spiritual forest.

 

The elder turned to William with a reassuring smile, motioning toward the lake. "Go ahead, submerge yourself in the water. You'll feel the effects immediately."

 

The system gave a cursory nod, directing William's body into the lake while carefully analyzing any changes. But before he could fully immerse himself, the old man suddenly exclaimed, "Oh, just leave the sword at the bank. It's quite heavy, and you might sink from the weight."

 

Complying with the request, the system placed the blade gently along the shoreline before wading deeper until the milky water reached up to William's chest.

 

"That's far enough! Now hold still while I perform the ritual gestures and recite the incantation!" the elder instructed as he clasped his hands in an intricate configuration.

 

Obeying the command, the system halted William's movement, silently observing the man's mystical actions.

 

[Ding* Returning primary user consciousness to active state.

[Ding* Initiating upload of memory files from host's inactive period during the system's control.

 

William's POV

 

As awareness flooded through William's mind once more, a profound yet soothing energy infused his entire body with a sense of complete tranquility.

 

"I feel...at peace," William murmured in wonder.

 

[Ding* Mental corruption status: Removed

 

William's inquisitive gaze scrutinized the mysterious liquid before him. "What is this? Is it Milk?" he murmured, peering at its faintly milky appearance. Yet beneath the seemingly familiar facade lay an elusive transparency that hid its true essence, shrouding its depths in mystery.

 

Upon closer inspection, William discerned that the liquid was clearly not mundane milk. He contemplated the puzzling substance, his scientific curiosity rising. A thought occurred to him then.

 

Hey System, I noticed something weird earlier. When you took over my body this time, I could still see and hear everything that was happening, even though I couldn't control anything.

 

[Ding* The system's programming mandates a passive observational role for the host consciousness during active suspension, facilitating communication with the system. However, in full suspension, the host is unconscious and not actively perceiving the system's actions. The sensation of viewing the system's actions stems from memory uploads following the restoration of the host's consciousness, a measure taken to prevent excessive strain.

 

Wait, are you saying I won't be able to talk to you during that time? Oh, why did I experience a blackout during the ship's explosion? I didn't receive any information like I am now back then.

 

[Ding* Initiating any outbound communication during active suspension requires resuming full control of your motor functions and cognition. During the ship explosion period, the system entered sleep mode to prevent permanent damage to its processing capabilities.

 

I kind of get it, but can you explain more about how I can talk to you when I'm out cold or when you're in charge? It's sort of confusing.

 

[Ding* The system can utilize two distinct forms of consciousness suspension - active primary suspension, where sensory perception remains, or full suspension, inducing complete shutdown. Full suspension is only employed following extreme trauma affecting both body and mind, or when voluntarily triggered. However, reviving from full suspension imposes significant neurological stress. Therefore, the system defaults to active suspension unless no other option remains viable.

 

Does that mean there are times when you're in control, and times when I'm in control? How does that work?

 

[Ding* Different forms of consciousness suspension indeed entail varying degrees of control. During active primary suspension, your sensory perception remains intact, allowing you to observe without actively controlling your body. Conversely, full suspension results in a complete shutdown, with the system assuming temporary control to safeguard your well-being. Our interaction operates on a cooperative basis, where your consciousness typically maintains primary control, with the system intervening when necessary for protection or assistance.

 

Oh, I think I get it now. So, most of the time, you let me perceive what's going on, but if there's a risk of significant harm or danger, you'll initiate a full suspension to protect me, right?

 

[Ding* Affirmative. However, you retain authority to override any active suspension except in cases of trauma-induced full suspension.

 

Got it. Can you try to check with me first before making me black out if you can? I'd like to stay aware of what's happening to my body when possible.

 

[Ding* Command accepted.

 

What about General Ja'aduk? Can he take control of my body?

 

[Ding* General Ja'aduk's consciousness has been eradicated by the system. Nevertheless, the System retains his memory files and remnants of his personality. Current analysis indicates that General Ja'aduk cannot exert any active influence on the host's body.

 

Ah, I remember now. Those memory files from when you were scanning his brain, right? I saw a lot of stuff, but I couldn't remember everything.

 

[Ding* The System has stored all files in the database.

[Ding* The host will have complete access to information assimilated and stored in the System's database upon permanent access request. If the host's primary consciousness is suspended during absorption, full information access will resume upon the restoration of active consciousness. While the host's active consciousness is suspended, information is received solely through observation and hearing; other physical senses cease to function.

 

Jeez! I didn't ask for all that information! But... it's good to know, I think? Not sure of everything you just said though…

 

Um, anyway, about earlier... I heard what you said... to that man, I mean. You weren't seriously considering using human sacrifices to heal me, were you?

 

[Ding* The system is unable to comprehend the primary user's inquiry.

 

William crossed his arms, fixing a stern gaze on his reflection in the lake. Let me be clear: I forbid you from harming the innocent! Do you understand?!

 

[Ding* Command acknowledged. The System will refrain from causing harm to the innocent.

 

William turned to observe the man who continued chanting and executing intricate hand signs. Abruptly, the man halted, bringing both hands close to his chest. Three circular seals of light materialized in front of him, forming the shape of the letter 'V.' The man's eyes glowed white, and a light-blue aura enveloped him as he extended both hands toward William. The seals approached and merged into a single circle at William's chest.

 

Executing three more hand signs, the man bellowed, "Seal!" furrowing his eyebrows. The seals diminished, moving toward William's chest before dissipating. In the liquid, William witnessed his reflection, observing his hair shift from pale white to blonde, and his eyes transform from blood red to oceanic blue. The red aura surrounding him vanished, and William felt a weight lifting from his body.

 

[Ding* Warlock chaos mana has dissipated.

[Ding* The host's cultivation realm has plummeted from the peak of the platinum realm to one star mortal realm.

 

William withdrew his hands from the liquid, examining them with surprise. "That's weird. I feel kind of weaker. Actually, it's more like I've gone back to how I was before," he mumbled.

 

System, you said something about cultivation? Platinum? he asked, puzzled.

 

The man smirked. "It's done," he muttered, strolling over to the general's sword and picking it up.

 

[Ding* Security risk detected.

[Ding* General Ja'aduk's sword has been identified as a lethal magic item.

[Ding* The System advises the host to retrieve the sword.

 

William turned to face the man, slightly surprised.

 

What... ok. William started walking towards him. "Can I have my sword back?"

 

A dark shadow cast over the man's face, giving way to a sly smile. "You won't be needing this," he replied curtly.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1