Chapter 6: Sword In The Stone
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What do you mean? It's my sword, give it back," William insisted, his tone firm.

 

The man's grip on the sword tightened as he scrutinized it more thoroughly. "Do you feel a bit different?" he asked cryptically.

 

William felt a strange sense of unease wash over him, his brow furrowing in confusion. "Different?" he echoed, his voice tinged with uncertainty. As he pondered, a realization dawned on him, and panic surged within. "What did you do to me?" he demanded urgently, his voice rising.

 

"Why... I saved your life, of course. And for the record, this sword belonged to that warlock general. Did it not?" the man replied, his tone cool and detached.

 

William's eyes narrowed as suspicion crept in. "Saved my life? Then why do I feel weaker? Maybe you knew you couldn't take me earlier... So, you did something to make me weaker!" he accused, his voice betraying a mix of anger and apprehension.

 

"Hmph." The old man grunted.

 

"Don't be absurd, child. Even with that warlock's cultivation, you're no match for me! I truly just saved your life. Don't believe me? You mentioned you retained all of that Warlock General's memories. Why not sift through them? Then, you'll see what the warlocks would have done to you if they found out about you. I can vouch for most humans; they would not have spared you if they sensed your chaos mana. Humans and warlocks don't get along, after all."

 

Staring at the man, William attempted to access the warlock's memories, but immediately faced resistance when trying to uncover the information.

 

System, I need to check General Ja'aduk’s memories.

 

[Ding* Warning! The system can give the host permanent access to general information without issues.

[Ding* However, personality and memory files are under certain layers of restriction.

 

William furrowed his brow, trying to grasp the concept. Why is that?

 

[Ding* Although the primary user's personality will always remain dominant, uploading memory files from another consciousness may alter the primary user's personality slightly.

[Ding* Does the primary user wish to proceed?

 

William's heart quickened as he considered the implications. Really? How much will I change? he asked nervously.

 

[Ding* The primary user will retain 90% of personality traits while 10% will belong to the other consciousness.

[Ding* With upload, the primary user will also gain combat experience as well as various other aspects, such as social manners, values, and beliefs from the other consciousness.

[Ding* The majority of such aspects will remain the same as only General Ja'aduk's memories will be merged not motivations.

[Ding* If the memory of an action that conflicts with what the primary user would have done exists, then the primary user will simply see it as a moral error. The primary user will have the freedom to act according to his own personality if ever in the same situation.

 

William mulled over the System's explanation for a moment, his mind racing with possibilities. Ultimately, he shook his head.

 

It all sounds pretty complicated but figuring out if this man is telling the truth is more important right now, he concluded, with firm determination. Okay, grant me access.

 

[Ding* Initiating access.

 

A familiar surge of energy took over William as he felt a portal open in the depths of his mind. He started blinking repeatedly, and after what seemed to be a brief moment, he exhaled loudly.

 

[Ding* Access granted.

 

William's blinking ceased.

 

"Hey, are you alright, kid? You've been standing there all quiet," the old man said, his voice filled with concern. "And why are you blinking so much?" he gently prodded William's forehead with his staff.

 

"These memories..." William furrowed his brow. Are the warlocks insane? Grappling with the implications, disbelief colored his thoughts. Why would they do this? He searched for answers, his thoughts racing. It must be the obedience spell. Gathering his racing thoughts, he pondered further. Even then... Uncertainty crept into his mind. That would mean their king has lost his mind. Realization settled heavily upon him, a heavy weight on his shoulders.

 

"Hey, kid! I asked if you were alright?!" The old man's gravelly voice grew louder with concern.

 

William slowly opened his eyes, blinking against the harsh sunlight. "I'm fine," he muttered, though his pounding head suggested otherwise.

 

"Anyway, did you get a chance to rummage through the warlock's memories?" The old man leaned forward eagerly, eyes glinting beneath bushy brows.

 

Now that he had access to the General's experiences, William had become more perceptive. He eyed the old man suspiciously, taking in his ragged cloak and weathered features. "What is it that you need from me? You clearly didn't help me out of the kindness of your heart."

 

The old man leaned back, stroking his white beard thoughtfully. "Well, it's about time you noticed. Although, you seem rather different somehow." He peered closely at William. "What's with the odd personality change? You seemed more gullible earlier. I can't put my finger on it, but you're a bit more mature now."

 

William scowled, irritation creeping into his voice. "Just tell me, old man, what is it that you want?"

 

"I'm interested in what's in your head. Nothing more." The admission came freely, without pretense.

 

William's eyes widened in realization. "What's in my head? Old man, do you mean General Ja'aduk's spells?"

 

"Stop calling me 'old man'! I have a name!" The man bristled, his wiry frame tensing.

 

"You never told me your name..." William countered.

 

The old man's left eyebrow twitched in annoyance. "You never asked me my name!"

 

William exhaled slowly, trying to contain his frustration. "Fine, what's your name? And why do you want General Ja'aduk's spells?"

 

The old man's demeanor changed in an instant, chest puffing up with importance. "I'm glad you've asked, my boy... I'm one of the Great Four... and the most brilliant, might I add." Here he paused for effect. "I'm the wizard of the west. My name is Moj Dak... also known as the great wizard of knowledge."

 

William's brow twitched in surprise. "Moj Dak... I've heard this name before, or rather, General Ja'aduk has."

 

Moj Dak grinned, basking in the recognition. "Of course you have! I am a great wizard, after all."

 

William shook his head, a stern expression crossing his face. "Not quite. You are on the nation of Veriz's kill-on-sight list."

 

The wizard shifted uncomfortably. "I may have gotten in their way once or twice over the years." He forced an awkward chuckle. "Even though I'm not supposed to."

 

William stared at him disapprovingly. "You're on their list for being a thief."

 

Moj Dak's face reddened. "Now see here, I was merely liberating a few of their scrolls for the greater good!" He huffed defensively. "Anyway, enough about me. What's your name, boy?"

 

William remained silent; his gaze fixed on the sword held by Moj Dak. His mind churned with thoughts on how to reclaim it, but no solution presented itself. "My name is William. William Hawk," he finally stated.

 

Moj Dak nodded. "William Hawk, a fine name. Now, about your situation..."

 

William's brow furrowed. "My situation?"

 

"Your clothes are all torn up. I have some extra garments back at my tower that might fit you." Moj Dak gestured at William's ripped and overstretched attire. "They're a bit outdated in style but should still do the job."

 

William's eyes narrowed distrustfully. He took a defensive stance and declared, "I'm not going anywhere with you! Not unless I get my sword back first."

 

Moj Dak held up his hands placatingly. "Alright, alright, no need to be so combative. You can have the sword." He sighed. "But I must warn you, it won't do you much good in your current state."

 

The wizard furrowed his striking brows, meeting William's gaze. "This is no ordinary blade. It's a powerful magical weapon, forged to slay even a mighty Phoenix. However..." He tapped the jeweled hilt thoughtfully. "It does have one critical flaw. This sword was designed for mages of at least the one-star gold cultivation realm. In your hands, it likely weighs over 100 kilograms."

 

William continued glaring defiantly. "What exactly is your point?"

 

Moj Dak's lips curled in a sly grin. "Don't you remember? You've been reduced to the mere one-star mortal realm now."

 

The young man stood steadfast. "Are you going to return it to me or not?" His tone brooked no argument.

 

The wizard turned away with a dramatic swish of his cloak. Spotting a nearby boulder, he sauntered towards it, sword in hand.

 

Surprised by this sudden action, William followed cautiously, keeping a few paces behind.

 

Reaching the boulder, Moj Dak pivoted to face William. His grin widened as he plunged the jeweled sword deep into the rock's craggy surface. "Very well then. If you desire this blade so intensely, go on and take it." His eyes glinted challengingly. "But only if you can pick it up again, my boy. Then you may keep it."

 

As the wizard strode away, an utterly self-satisfied smirk surfaced on his face, William approached the embedded sword. Grasping the bejeweled hilt with his right hand and swiftly wrenched it from the boulder in one smooth motion, lifting the heavy blade skyward.

 

A grating scraping sound echoed through the forest as Moj Dak whirled around in shock. "Interesting..." he muttered under his breath.

 

William rested the massive sword upon his shoulder and strode toward the startled wizard. Stopping just a few feet away, he inquired "How far is your home from here?"

 

Moj Dak's gaze darted around the dense forest surroundings. "Oh, quite far, I'd imagine." His voice wavered slightly.

 

"Would it not be faster to simply teleport there?" William pressed.

 

"There are too many trees here." The wizard gestured vaguely around them. "I need a clear view of the night sky for my teleportation ring to work properly."

 

Seeing William's skeptical look, he elaborated "I'll utilize the positions of the stars to pinpoint our precise location."

 

William's eyes narrowed. "So, the ring needs the stars to locate itself?"

 

"No, no, not at all." Moj Dak waved his hands. "It can teleport you from anywhere - a deep cave, the ocean floor - as long as you know roughly where you are."

 

"But don't you already know?" William asked pointedly. "We're at the Pure Yang Lake, are we not?"

 

"True, true." The wizard stroked his long, wispy beard pensively. "Although, technically, this place exists within a hidden pocket realm – a separate reality nestled like a secret jewel amidst the folds of our own world. One could call it the heart, and the Spiritual Forest shields it quite jealously."

 

Seeing the young man's furrowed brow and deepening confusion, Moj Dak elaborated, "I can teleport here solely because I've visited before. But the magical protections surrounding this place make ingress and egress quite...tricky, shall we say."

 

William's eyes narrowed as he tried to grasp the implications. "Another realm? What does that even mean?" He swept his gaze around the dense, strangely colorful forest, taking in the vibrant hues. "Are we talking about being on another planet, or is it more like an alternate universe?"

 

As his confusion mounted, he noticed tiny, glimmering balls of light lazily drifting between the trunks. "Are those...spirits?" he blurted, pointing at the ethereal orbs.

 

Moj Dak didn't acknowledge the question, leaving William's query unanswered and hanging in the air.

 

Though William had never set foot on this world until recently, he had inherited the memories of General Ja'aduk, giving him some familiarity with the planet's magical nature. However, the general's knowledge contained no inkling of "realms" or hidden pocket dimensions. William inwardly scoffed - even with Ja'aduk's recollections, this "realm" concept was utter nonsense to his scientifically-inclined mind.

 

Moj Dak did not respond to William's query about the spirits, instead gazing intently upward through the dense canopy. "Ah, a clearing!" He exclaimed triumphantly, pointing. "Now to cast the locator incantation..."

 

The wizard closed his eyes and began mumbling a series of arcane words under his breath, the syllables flowing together in an alien cadence. As the last utterances left his lips, Moj Dak's eyes flared open, glowing an eerie purple hue. A moment later, he smiled confidently. "There we are. Now I know precisely our location within this demi-plane."

 

He turned to William and stretched out his sinewy, muscular arm adorned with ornate rings. "Come along then, boy! Take firm hold so we may be off."

 

William hesitated, eyeing the wizard's outstretched hand reluctantly before grasping it. One of the large gemstone rings immediately began pulsating with blinding azure light. There was a blinding flash that swiftly enveloped them both.

 

When the radiance faded seconds later, William found an immense tower abruptly looming before them. He could sense intense arcane energy pulsating from the ancient structure in waves, protected by a shimmering, translucent bubble-like barrier.

 

They approached the base of the tower and when they came within arm's reach, Moj Dak uttered a guttural incantation in a strange, alien tongue. He thrust his right hand forward decisively, and the glowing magical barrier surrounding the tower instantly dissolved at his command.

 

Lost in thought, William suddenly remarked, "That language...it sounded like Gido."

 

Moj Dak turned to him with a knowing smile. "Ah, so you recognize Gido, the common human tongue in these lands." He stroked his wispy beard as if puzzled. "Curious that a boy of clear human descent speaks not his people's native language yet utters Namreg fluently."

 

William's grip tightened reflexively on the hilt of his sword as he backed away warily. "So, you knew already then? That I am not of this world?"

 

The wizard gave an indifferent shrug, already turning away. "I observed the battle from afar long before your arrival. I lingered at first merely out of curiosity - a boy falling from the very stars! Most intriguing."

 

His expression took on a faraway look as he recounted, "Yet when you awoke, events proceeded in quite an absurd fashion. Watching you fight..." He chuckled lowly. "Why, it nearly moved me to intervene personally! But fortune smiled, and as luck would have it, I obtained a most coveted tome in the aftermath."

 

William's stance remained defensive as suspicion flickered across his features. "Then why keep silent about my origins until now?"

 

Moj Dak ambled unconcerned toward the tower's base, not sparing the agitated young lad so much as a glance over his shoulder. "While your peculiar celestial origins fascinate me, acquiring the memories of that Warlock General you bested holds far greater appeal!"

 

William studied the wizard's retreating back pensively, a maelstrom of thoughts whirling. Moj Dak called over his shoulder imperiously, "Are you coming along or not, boy?"

 

After a lengthy pause, William finally released his white-knuckled grip on the sword hilt and hurried to catch up, his footsteps echoing in the stillness.

 

They soon came to a small bridge leading to the tower entrance. A sizeable barn could be glimpsed off to the left side. As Moj Dak neared the gigantic double doors, they automatically swung inward to permit entry.

 

The instant they stepped inside, William noticed a marked change in the wizard's demeanor. His face grew stern, and he barked something sharply in the human tongue of Gido. William grasped but the faintest threads of meaning... a warning not to kill the guest?

 

His puzzlement was swiftly forgotten as a diminutive female fairy zipped toward him. She appeared no taller than 12 inches, with four gossamer wings, an alluring figure, sparkling green eyes and vibrant red hair. William found her positively enchanting as she fluttered about, her delicate green apparel gliding delicately around her.

 

The fairy sized him up before addressing Moj Dak in musical tones. Though he didn't understand her words, William found her voice sweet and melodious.

 

Moj Dak replied with a fierce look, prompting the fairy to flit off up the tower interior.

 

Stepping inside, William found himself awestruck by the tower's grandeur. The smooth floors and curving walls were hewn from pristine marble, veined with silvery threads that glimmered in the glow of magical chandeliers. Intricate mosaics depicted ancient myths and arcane symbols. Gorgeous mahogany-like furnishings filled the spaces, carved with swirling designs and shimmering mother-of-pearl inlays.

 

While the exterior facade rose only three stories, inside the dimensions expanded exponentially. William estimated the interior must be twenty floors from his vantage point on the ground level. The first three floors each comprised cavernous chambers with towering arched doors of engraved black oak. Most entries stood open, revealing spaces outfitted as workshops - one an alchemy lab, another for crafting enchanted objects.

 

The upper seventeen floors consisted entirely of bookshelves, tightly packed with myriad leather-bound tomes and scrolls. The shelves lined each circular floor from polished marble floor to frescoed ceiling. A soaring cylindrical shaft penetrated through the tower's core, open from bottom to top. An elegant staircase wound upward through this central gap. Craning his neck, William glimpsed the open shaft climbing up through all twenty stories, the banisters circling each floor as it rose.

 

The hollow cylindrical layout allowed William to gaze up through the open shaft and see every floor wrapped around it, spiraling dizzily upwards to a tiny skylight at the distant pinnacle. The sheer scale and arcane beauty left him breathless.

 

Overwhelmed, he could not help but think. This place is extraordinary!

 

Moments later, the red-haired fairy reappeared, clutching a life-sized puppet dressed in simple garb. She hovered before William and piped in Namreg, "Here you are! These should fit nicely."

 

William accepted the doll and quickly changed behind a column. The puppet's clothes, though plain, fit reasonably well.

 

Emerging, he was greeted by another cute smile. "See? A perfect match!" the fairy proclaimed happily.

 

Just then Moj Dak strode forth, having shed his cloak and staff. "Excellent! Now you look presentable." His expression shifted, growing serious. "But come - we've much to discuss."

 

William nodded.

 

"You want General Ja'aduk's spells and rituals," William stated plainly.

 

"Indeed I do," Moj Dak intoned, his voice suddenly deeper and more solemn.

 

William nodded slowly. "Very well. You did save my life and provide these clothes, so it's only fair I repay you somehow. We'll be even...once I share this knowledge?"

 

He knew such privileged warlock secrets were never meant for human ears. Meeting Moj Dak's gaze steadily, he continued. "I know these spells are rare beyond measure. For a warlock to willingly grant them to a human..." He let the implication linger.

 

Moj Dak was silent, regarding the young man pensively.

 

Sensing the wizard's hesitation, William hardened his expression to mask his misgivings. "Are you willing to swear a nine-nine heavenly tribulation oath that we will be square once the information is given?" He kept his tone bold and even.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1