Chapter 7: Nine-Nine Heavenly Tribulation
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A nine-nine heavenly tribulation oath, you say?" William observed Moj Dak's eyes, noting a glint of determination hidden beneath his furrowed brows as a bead of sweat trickled down his left cheek. Moj Dak's response was almost a whisper, "Very well."

 

The gravity of the magical vow did not escape Moj Dak. His brows knitted together as he considered, absently stroking his beard. After a weighty pause, he replied, "You drive a hard bargain, boy. But very well, for access to such potent and forbidden magic, I shall swear the oath."

 

William, cautious despite Moj Dak's acceptance, raised an eyebrow. "And you'll swear not to harm me, even after I provide what you want?"

 

Moj Dak grimaced, his reluctance evident. "Fine, but only for a year. I don't make lifetime oaths lightly. But you must promise to share with me all the spells and rituals from the warlock general's memories, including the secret ones from his clan. And you won't intentionally delay delivering them."

 

Exhaling slowly, William understood the gravity of these demands. After solemn consideration, he dipped his head in consent. "Agreed. Let us proceed."

 

Both pricked their fingers and commenced the incantations, ancient words ringing with power. As the vows were sealed, lightning cracked the sky outside, illuminating the shadowed forest. Peals of thunder shook the tower, accompanied by distant roars from titanic beasts deep within the ancient woods.

 

The pact was bound by forces beyond their reckoning. Moj Dak and William stood in silence as the rumbles faded, the electric tang of ozone heavy in the air. There was no turning back now. For better or worse, the die was cast.

 

William glanced around the study with curiosity as they entered. "I'll need writing material to transcribe everything," he stated matter-of-factly.

 

Moj Dak's face split into a grin. "This way," he beckoned, leading William to an ornate desk. "You'll find writing supplies here. Help yourself."

 

The massive desk was carved from rich mahogany-like wood, inlaid with swirling mother-of-pearl designs. William slid into the high-backed chair and selected a long, raven-feather quill pen. Before him lay stacks of blank parchment scrolls, their creamy surfaces reflecting the magical lanterns' glow.

 

Poised over the parchment, he began to write with remarkable speed, his hand a blur as it raced across the page. Perfectly formed script filled the scroll's surface faster than eyes could track. When one sheet was covered margin to margin, he deftly slotted another into place and continued without pause.

 

Thirty scrolls worth of secret spells and ritual gestures were transcribed within mere minutes. Pausing briefly to gather more blank parchment, William resumed his tireless scribing. In less than three minutes, twenty more scrolls were brimming with forbidden arcane knowledge.

 

Finally setting the quill down, he glanced up to see Moj Dak staring openly, silver brows raised in amazement. "It is done," William pronounced calmly, rolling up the filled parchment and holding it out.

 

The wizard accepted the hefty bundle cautiously, as if handling a priceless relic. Unfurling the first scroll, Moj Dak pored over the elegant handwriting and intricate diagrams. Wonder and avarice mingled on his wrinkled features as he became engrossed.

 

"I appreciate the help, System."

 

[Ding* The system is yours to command.

 

William glanced at Moj Dak, one eyebrow arched. Crossing his arms, he remarked casually, "Now that we're even, I have a proposal." A mischievous grin spread across his face.

 

Lost in the scroll's contents, Moj Dak didn't look up. "A trade, you say?" He scoffed. "That fancy sword is your only possession. While quite valuable, it doesn't entice me."

 

Still engrossed in reading, he waved a hand dismissively. "Your peculiar origins might prove interesting conversation, but hardly adequate compensation."

 

At this, William's grin only widened. "No, it's not spells or weapons I offer. But I know the locations of three ultra-rare scrolls that may capture your interest."

 

That gave Moj Dak pause. Slowly lowering the parchment, he met William's sly gaze. The boy's smug expression stirred his anger. "You tricked me!" he accused, bushy brows drawing together.

 

"You accepted the terms freely," William countered, completely unfazed. "Are you interested in the scrolls or not?"

 

Moj Dak scowled, looking for all the world like a pouting child denied a treat. "Yes, you little devil, I'm interested!" His face clouded with suspicion. "But I imagine you want something in return for this information."

 

Eyes flashing, he jabbed an accusatory finger. "Well? Out with it, you conniving little-"

 

"First!" William interjected. "I wish to stay here one year. Second, teach me the human tongue, Gido. And third, show me around the nearest city." He ticked off each demand on his fingers.

 

The wizard pondered, brow furrowed. "You wish to live here a year? Whatever for?" As William opened his mouth to explain, Moj Dak held up a hand. "No, never mind, it matters not."

 

With a resigned sigh, he acquiesced. "I suppose I can instruct you in Gido, as you'll be staying regardless. As for the city, I seldom venture out myself, so I know little of the surroundings."

 

Stroking his beard thoughtfully, he mused, "Perhaps my guardian Nin Li can provide a tour..."

 

Trailing off, his eyes narrowed sharply at William. "But first, divulge the scrolls' locations so I may retrieve them!"

 

William stood his ground. "Not yet. You must teach me Gido first, in case claiming the scrolls takes time." He paused. "And you'll need to swear a nine-nine heavenly oath before I disclose everything."

 

Moj Dak scoffed derisively. "Swear an oath after your trickery? No, this time you vow to share all!"

 

With a resigned sigh, William acquiesced. "Very well, I'll swear it's the full extent of my knowledge. I doubt you'd care for the warlocks' other projects and treasures. Unless you'd like to know of a magical creature the warlocks are trying to create or artifacts..."

 

Moj Dak's eyes lit up at the mention of artifacts. "Hold on, you said there were trials guarding these scrolls?"

 

"Yes," William nodded. "Each of the scrolls has trials. Trials you must pass to reach them."

 

"What are the names of these scrolls?"

 

Seeing he had Moj Dak's full attention now, William continued. "The General didn't know the scrolls' names, only their location and the trials required to obtain them. He thought they were too dangerous to go after until he was at least a Diamond Realm."

 

Noting Moj Dak's disinterest in the General's former schemes, William pressed on about the scrolls themselves.

 

"What do these trials entail?" Moj Dak asked intently, leaning forward with anticipation.

 

"The first is the Wind Trial, followed by the Ice Trial, and finally the Lightning Trial," William recited. As he finished listing them, Moj Dak dropped heavily to his knees, mouth agape in shock.

 

As soon as the words left his mouth, Moj Dak dropped to his knees, jaw hanging open in disbelief. A moment later, Nin Li called out sharply in Gido, but the wizard paid her no mind. Regaining his feet, he fixed William with an intense glare.

 

"You aren't deceiving me, are you? Because I take no pleasure in being made a fool..." he threatened.

 

William brushed off the ominous tone. "So do we have a deal?" he pressed.

 

Moj Dak's eyes burned intensely. "You'll have all you asked, and I'll give my sworn oath on top of that. But you have to tell me everything you know about those scrolls. That's all I care about."

 

"Deal," William agreed readily, unconcerned by Moj Dak's bizarre fixation.

 

After reviewing General Ja'aduk's memories, William pondered, observing Moj Dak's confident demeanor. I'm unsure of Moj Dak's strength, he thought, but he seems quite self-assured.

 

Moj Dak launched into a rambling monologue, seemingly unaware of William's internal musings. "You know, boy," he began, "you're quite lucky to be staying here in my tower. It's a dream for many, but usually, people have to go through a strict selection process. I'm one of the most important figures in this world, you know. It's not every day someone gets the opportunity to learn from a master like me."

 

William nodded absentmindedly as Moj Dak continued to boast about his significance, his attention focused inward.

 

I feel some guilt for deceiving him earlier, William continued internally, but it was necessary to withhold information as leverage until now. Without knowing the language here, survival would be exceedingly difficult.

 

"I've spent years honing my skills and collecting knowledge," Moj Dak continued, gesturing grandly, "and now, I'm generously sharing it with you."

 

After seeing his vast collection of books and scrolls, William thought, I knew I must remain. I needed a guide to the nearest human city, leaving me little choice. Still, I'd rather not send him to his death...

 

As Moj Dak rambled on, William's thoughts drifted back to his internal deliberations.

 

Even if he learns the trials' locations, William thought, the entrance seals require minimum cultivation levels to attempt them. One must reach at least one-star Diamond Realm for the Wind Trial, four-star for the Ice Trial, and seven-star for the Lightning Trial. Without meeting those requirements, he won't even breach the thresholds.

 

Moj Dak paused, expecting a response from William, but the young boy remained lost in thought.

 

No, I already struck my deal and gave my word, William concluded internally. I cannot deceive him now, especially since I need his help upholding his end. Particularly after discovering the warlocks' insane plans, I must find a way to stop them. But who can I turn to? Should I tell Moj Dak? No, I barely know him, even if he seems decent enough. This is not information to share lightly. I'll have to research here in his tower first. But before that, I must learn Gido.

 

Moj Dak cleared his throat loudly, breaking William's reverie. "Boy, are you listening to me?" he asked, frustration evident in his voice. "Are you ready?"

 

"Yes, yes, you're a truly great wizard, and it's such an honor for me to be here learning from the esteemed Moj Dak," William replied placatingly.

 

Though slightly irritated by the boy's lack of sincere awe, Moj Dak was eager to commence their pact. "Should we swear our oaths now?" William suggested.

 

Moj Dak readily agreed, impatient to begin.

 

They proceeded to swear weighty vows bound by the Nine-Nine Heavenly Tribulations, each affirmed by nine thunderous cracks rending the firmament.

 

Moj Dak eyed William sternly. "We will start your Gido lessons immediately. I expect your full diligence."

 

"Of course," William agreed amicably, understanding Moj Dak's haste to instruct him so he could swiftly set off on his expedition. Due to their oath's stipulations, Moj Dak had to teach William first, even though the boy had already disclosed the scrolls' location. Until William learned sufficient Gido, Moj Dak was compelled to remain.

 

In the following days, Moj Dak tirelessly imparted his knowledge of the language, with William absorbing every detail at an impressive pace. Moj Dak marveled at how rapidly William grasped the nuances of this unfamiliar tongue.

 

On the fourth day, he inquired internally, System, is there a way to accelerate this? As I recall, Namreg did not take long to learn.

 

[Ding* Negative. The rate of absorption is bound by the speed at which the knowledge is being imparted. In the case of General Ja'aduk, the intrusion and subsequent assimilation of his personality resulted in an instantaneous transfer.

 

"He he," William chuckled to himself. "Are you suggesting that Moj Dak is a slow teacher?" he muttered, thinking he was alone.

 

To his surprise, Moj Dak walked in just in time to overhear those last words.

 

[Ding* General Ja’aduk’s mind was added to the system’s database, simplifying the process of uploading to the primary user’s memory files.

 

"What!?" Moj Dak shouted, clearly taken aback.

 

Realizing his careless mistake, William sank his head in embarrassment.

 

"Are you implying that I am not teaching you properly?" Moj Dak's gaze bore into William with evident vexation.

 

"No, no, not at all, it's just..." William paused, feeling too embarrassed to respond and unable to meet Moj Dak's gaze.

 

"Just what?" Moj Dak's tone was sharp with scorn.

 

William cleared his throat and whispered, "I just feel like we could speed up the process by moving on to more complex compositions. The linguistic complexity of these scrolls seems elementary at best."

 

Moj Dak's eyes flashed with rage. "Elementary level, you say!? Fine! If you want to speed it up, don't complain when you can't keep up."

 

With that, he stormed out of the room and returned moments later with a voluminous tome, slamming it in front of William.

 

"Here, read this. It's one of the most complex works in Gido literature. Since you're so eager to learn quickly, let's see if you can finish it within a week and then explain to me the entire essence of the composition," Moj Dak almost growled.

 

Before William could say anything, Moj Dak once more blitzed out, leaving him with the massive book. From his acquisition of Gido so far, William realized the book to be a novel relating to a war. Upon skimming through the first pages, he noticed the complexity of the sentences, at which point William leaned back and commanded the system to take over.

 

System, can you help me out with it?

 

[Ding* Speeding up absorption rate.

 

William began flipping through the pages like a violent gust of wind as he felt the influx of a stream in his mind. Sometime later, he heard the system call out to him.

 

[Ding* Complete. Language skills improved drastically. The primary user is now in the advanced stages of Gido. Communication should now be eloquent and effortless.

 

Thank you, System, William replied fluently in Gido, closing the tome with a sense of accomplishment.

 

He then stepped out into the circular hallway to see Moj Dak pacing back and forth on the opposite side of the corridor. William walked up to him, admiring the walls in the process. The simple layout of the tower made it easy to navigate, as the floors were essentially giant oval chambers with an egress carved through the middle, leading all the way to the top. What caught William's eye this time, however, were the various patterned ornamentations etched in the walls, which appeared to have been constructed by exceptionally skilled craftsmen.

 

Upon reaching Moj Dak, William saw him faintly muttering something to himself as his face displayed a concoction of excitement and anxiety.

 

"What's the matter? Tired already?" Moj Dak smirked in a condescending manner.

 

"No, I came to tell you I finished reading the book. It was quite an interesting tale," William replied casually in fluent Gido.

 

Moj Dak's eyes widened in surprise and he fumbled over his next words, clearly not expecting William's flawless grasp of the language yet. "What do you mean you finished? There's no way you read that entire tome already."

 

William nodded affirmatively. "I read every page. I hadn't realized the dark elvish necromancers posed such a formidable threat to this world. I assumed the warlocks were your greatest adversaries."

 

Moj Dak looked at him skeptically, disbelief etched on his weathered face. "Impossible. There's no way you absorbed that massive book in barely an hour. You're pulling my leg."

 

Unfazed, William smoothly recounted the key events and figures throughout the epic tome, hitting on precise details no casual reader could possibly retain.

 

Moj Dak stood stunned into amazed silence as the summary went on. Finally, the flustered wizard burst out angrily, "Well it's a fictional tale anyway! Hmph! The war was nowhere near that epic in scale." His cheeks flushed with embarrassment at being shown up by this supposed novice.

 

William was momentarily taken aback by the wizard's sudden, blustery outburst and indignant denial. Regaining his composure, he cautiously asked, "Is there anything left you can teach me about the Gido language and its grammar?"

 

Moj Dak's eyes flashed with irritation. "Hold on a moment," he interrupted skeptically. "There's no way you covered that entire book so swiftly. Come with me." With that, Moj Dak turned on his heel and strode off.

 

William accompanied him back to the study, where Moj Dak immediately delved into an exhaustive interrogation about the tome's intricate details. After two arduous hours of questioning, Moj Dak finally collapsed into his chair, exhaustion evident in every line of his weary face.

 

Observing the wizard's evident fatigue, William couldn't suppress a small, triumphant grin. "Well, are you content with my understanding now?" he inquired, a touch of smugness coloring his tone.

 

It was then that William noticed a subtle shift in the wizard's demeanor. Moj Dak's previous condescension had evaporated completely, replaced by something William couldn't quite define. Was it wonder? Grudging respect? Perhaps even a trace of pride?

 

Moj Dak murmured under his breath, "I must admit, your learning vastly exceeds anything I anticipated. Clearly there is nothing left I can teach you regarding the Gido tongue or its mastery."

 

William nodded graciously. "You have my sincere gratitude. Had you not pushed me so intensely, it surely would have taken far longer to gain any proficiency."

 

This small show of deference brought the faintest hint of a smile to Moj Dak's tired face. "Yes, well, I suppose you are now free to tour the city with Nin Li. I must begin preparations for my upcoming expedition." He turned and strode from the study with a new vigor in his step.

 

William watched the wizard depart, still pondering the subtle but undeniable shift he had glimpsed in Moj Dak's disposition toward him. Shaking his head in wonder, William began wandering the tower alone, taking in its grandeur.

 

"Nin Li! Where are you?!" His voice echoed excitedly through the tower.

 

Moments later, he spotted the charming fairy soaring gracefully towards him. A look of surprise crossed her delicate features.

 

"Ah William, did you need something?" Nin Li responded in the same melodic Gido language, her voice like a soothing song.

 

William's face lit up at the sight of her. "I want to visit the city! Would you join me and give me a tour?" he asked eagerly.

 

Nin Li nodded agreeably and said in a casual tone, "Of course, I'll ready the carriage right away."

 

William looked puzzled. "A carriage? Surely, you've been there before. Why don't we simply teleport using your ring?" he questioned.

 

"My ring? Oh, you must mean the master's legendary Thousand Teleport Ring. I'm afraid that priceless artifact is one-of-a-kind, and Master Moj Dak never parts with it," Nin Li explained apologetically.

 

"Isn't there another way we could teleport there?" William persisted hopefully.

 

Nin Li considered this carefully. "Well, I do know of one other method, but preparing the teleportation gate would take longer than traveling by carriage. Also, I lack the soul stones needed to power it. We could ask the Master for what we need."

 

William smiled awkwardly, not wanting to impose further on Moj Dak's generosity just so he could sightsee. "Nevermind, we'll take the carriage," he conceded.

 

"I'll ready the carriage straight away," Nin Li responded before fluttering off.

 

While awaiting the carriage, Moj Dak approached him eagerly. "William, I've gathered what I need for my expedition. I'm leaving presently."

 

William forced a smile, guilt weighing on him for not deterring Moj Dak despite their growing bond. But he had sworn an oath not to interfere. "Safe travels," he offered simply.

 

Moj Dak summoned a ring from his collection. "Before I go, take this ring," he said, presenting it to William.

 

William accepted the ring with puzzlement. "What is it for?" he asked.

 

"It's an interspatial ring," Moj Dak explained. "Although its storage space is limited, it should easily accommodate that sizable sword of yours and a few other items."

 

William's eyes lit up with realization. "Ah yes, I've seen such magical rings before! General Ja'aduk had a couple. Too bad I left them at the battlefield. Scavengers should have picked the place clean by now," he lamented regretfully.

 

"Do you know how to use it?" Moj Dak inquired.

 

"Yes," William responded, pricking his finger on the ring's tiny spike, claiming ownership of the ring.

 

"There are 600 silver coins stored inside. It's not much but should be plenty for some new clothes. I'll be gone for a few months. This tower has provisions to last ten years, so don't worry about food," Moj Dak stated matter-of-factly.

 

William focused his mind, accessing the ring's pocket dimension, then regarded Moj Dak gratefully. "I appreciate this gift," he said sincerely.

 

Moj Dak then materialized a necklace bearing a silver tower emblem and presented it to William with a proud smile. "Don't mention it. Also take this emblem. Once worn, the tower will recognize you as one of its masters, free to come and go without Nin Li or myself."

 

Though William did not understand the significance of the necklace, he realized it meant a great deal to Moj Dak. Therefore, he gracefully accepted the ornament and adorned it.

 

"One last request before I depart: watch over my tower in my absence. And keep an eye on Nin Li. She's strong and capable but she has a knack for getting into trouble. If she gets too hotheaded, be sure to rein her in."

 

An awkward smile crossed Moj Dak's face as he scratched his head, hinting at deeper meaning in his warning.

 

"Will do," William assured simply, sensing there was more left unsaid but not prying further.

 

Moj Dak gave a slight nod and took a step back. One of the rings on his finger started to emit a bright flash which enveloped him instantly before the aura collapsed into nothingness, taking Moj Dak along.

 

William wondered about the meaning behind Moj Dak's parting words about Nin Li's temperament. She seemed anything but from what he had seen. He stared pensively at the spot where Moj Dak had disappeared mere moments before.

 

"William, the carriage is ready!" Nin Li called out in her usual casual tone. She waved to get his attention from the front entrance.

 

William secured his greatsword, safely stowing it in his newly acquired interspatial ring, before making his way toward the carriage.

 

As he approached Nin Li, her gaze narrowed in scrutiny. "Huh? That necklace..." Suddenly, she descended from the air and knelt before him, her right arm across her chest. "My deepest apologies, Young Master. I failed to notice it earlier," she said, her tone now gracious and deferential.

 

A faint blush touched William's cheeks as he felt a twinge of embarrassment. "Young Master? Why are you kneeling?"

 

"Please accept my apologies, Young Master. As guardian of this tower, I am oathbound to honor you as befits your station," Nin Li explained, her tone still highly respectful.

 

"I see...very well then, let's be on our way," William responded, his face now fully red at the unexpected show of fealty.

 

Nin Li fluttered back up and proceeded to the carriage, William following close behind. Waiting outside sat an obsidian black coach with four gleaming silver wheels. William's gaze fixed on the creatures hitched up front - four velociraptor-like beasts with shiny, shiny scales and pleasant temperaments. They appeared quite robust and healthy from dutiful care.

 

Nin Li reached the carriage first and, in the blink of an eye, transformed into a comely young woman. She now wore a trim black knee-length dress with a prim white apron. Her vibrant red hair was neatly tied back in a modest bun - the very image of a French maid.

 

Bowing low once more, she addressed William in a properly subservient tone, "Young Master, your carriage awaits."

 

William stared, surprised by her sudden shift in appearance. "You can take human form?" he remarked.

 

"While not banned, fairies do draw unwanted attention in the city. This form makes driving easier as well, Young Master," Nin Li explained obligingly.

 

"I see," William replied, intrigued by this new insight into social conventions.

 

General Ja'aduk, being a warlock, rarely ventured into human cities, usually only to lay them to waste. It's no surprise he was ignorant of their social customs. I suppose I'll have to rely on Nin Li to teach me the proper etiquette of this world, William mused.

 

Eager to be off, William climbed into the plush interior of the coach. Nin Li shut the door securely and hopped up to take the reins.

 

"Comfortable, Young Master?" she inquired politely.

 

"Yes, quite," William answered, settling into the fine leather upholstery.

 

"Excellent. We're off!" Nin Li declared cheerily. She snapped the reins sharply, spurring the velociraptors into motion. Their claws clattered rhythmically against the ground as the carriage gently swayed, carrying the two onwards toward the awaited city.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1