Chapter 13: The Tower Emblem
1 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Honorable guests... right this way. We shall lead you to claim your prizes," exclaimed the female servant standing next to Gregor.

 

Both servants then walked out of the room as Gregor and William followed closely behind.

 

"You coming?" William asked Nin Li, looking at her with a warm smile.

 

"I'll wait for you at the entrance," she remarked.

 

"Okay." William nodded and walked out of the room led by the servant.

 

[Ding* The system notifies the primary user that several individuals are currently observing the host.

 

Really? Any of them with bad intentions? William continued to walk.

 

[Ding* The system has identified five potential threats.

 

Five?! Who are they? William stumbled momentarily out of surprise before quickly regaining composure.

 

[Ding* System has identified three individuals from the gambling match host participated in.

[Ding* The individual known as [Big boss Xuan] as well as two of his companions.

[Ding* The system has not found any files regarding those two subjects' names.

 

Those guys again! We may have to deal with them for good if they try and cause trouble, William started to become annoyed.

 

[Ding* The other two individuals are [Lord Has] and his subordinate.

[Ding* The system has no file on his subordinate's name.

 

Lord Has? Who the hell is that? I don't recall quarreling with anyone by that name. Never mind... just explain it to me later, William ordered before his attention shifted to the attendant behind the counter before him.

 

"Honorable guests...full payment must be rendered before the item you have purchased can be presented," explained the elven servant.

 

William nodded in understanding.

 

"Right...here are fourteen thousand gold coins for the mystery box."

 

William proffered fourteen thousand gold coins. The teller cast a swift spell to verify the amount, and upon confirmation, handed William the mystery box, which he promptly stowed in his interspatial ring.

 

"My friend here will settle for the other item," declared William, gesturing towards Gregor with a tilt of his head.

 

Gregor swiftly approached the counter and paid for the two items he had acquired, securely stowing them away in his own interspatial ring. He then withdrew three thousand high concentration soul stones and a distinctive crest from his interspatial  ring.

 

"Here are three thousand high concentration soul stones and my official crest as the guild leader of the Feros City apothecary branch. It signifies my guarantee that the apothecary guild will remit the remaining balance if I am unable to do so by tomorrow," proclaimed Gregor, his voice ringing with righteous conviction.

 

 

The teller, furrowing his brow, hesitated to accept the crest and soul stones offered by Gregor.

 

"What seems to be the issue?" Gregor inquired.

 

"Umm. This... I'm uncertain if I can accept it as payment surety," the teller replied, puzzled as he scrutinized the badge.

 

"Why ever not?!"

 

"We cannot permit anyone to depart with an item without full payment rendered. I do not know if this badge will be accepted as a binding guarantee," the teller responded hesitantly.

 

"What do you mean you don't know? I am the duly appointed guild leader of the apothecary guild, not some street vagrant. I demand to speak with your superior immediately!" Gregor fired back furiously.

 

"Sir, please do not create a public scene," the teller placated, though his words only further inflamed the situation.

 

"Don't presume to instruct me! I said summon your superior at once!" Gregor growled.

 

The escalating altercation drew the attention of many lingering guests, William noticing Big Boss Xuan observing from a distance. Meanwhile, a thin, older man impeccably attired in a sharp blue suit approached the counter. The teller immediately stood at rigid attention and nodded deferentially at the newcomer like a soldier acknowledging his senior officer.

 

"Gentlemen, what seems to be the issue here?" The man inquired stolidly, his sonorous voice carrying an authoritative weight that belied his lean stature.

 

"The issue is your cashier doesn't seem to comprehend whom I am," Gregor fumed.

 

The teller then concisely explained the situation to the man, who listened with an inscrutable expression before turning to address Gregor with an amiable smile.

 

"Guild leader Gregor, the Mu Clan accepts this crest of yours. We know whether you have the means or not, the apothecary guild will not let its reputation be tarnished...but I ask you...are you sure you want to put up your crest as collateral?" The man's severe gaze bore into Gregor.

 

"Yes. I am positive," Gregor replied without hesitation.

 

"Very well then." The man turned to the teller, "Please accept the three thousand high concentration soul stones and this crest as a binding guarantee and provide the guild leader with a receipt for two hundred and twelve thousand high concentration soul stones outstanding."

 

"Wait, two hundred and twelve?" Gregor blurted, startled.

 

"Precisely. The auction value is two hundred thousand high concentration soul stones, and an additional fifteen thousand surcharge for deferred payment," the man explained with a sardonic smile.

 

"What?! I explicitly stated I would settle the balance by tomorrow," Gregor protested, his voice nearly rising to a shout.

 

"Well," the man continued, his repugnant leer unwavering, "you see, Guild Leader, I harbor no doubts regarding your command of the requisite funds. However, we are keenly aware of your...prevailing circumstances. Concerning your father...you understand my meaning. Should you fail to render payment, we might be obliged to approach the guild directly, who I have no doubts would ultimately cover the outstanding amount. But that would necessitate additional bureaucratic paperwork since it was your friend here who officially procured the item. Hence, the supplemental charge is merely to compensate for any troubles we might incur, should they arise."

 

Gregor fell silent for a moment, staring blankly into the man's listless eyes.

 

"You are all vultures," he scoffed at last. "But let me tell you, I will not be relinquishing this position so readily."

 

"Oh, I certainly hope not," the man replied, his icy smirk edged with undisguised mockery.

 

The teller swiftly scribed a receipt and handed it to Gregor, who pocketed it without further comment. The teller then retrieved the ornate cage and handed it to William.

 

"To whom should we sign the contract over to?" the teller inquired.

 

"That won't be necessary," William dismissed him with a curt wave before walking away, Gregor falling into step beside him.

 

After they had traversed a sufficient distance from the counter, William halted and turned to face Gregor.

 

"The additional amount. You stated two hundred thousand was the absolute limit you could manage," William ventured nervously.

 

"I can see it settled," Gregor muttered, though his expression remained inscrutable.

 

"I'm sorry about that. I will pay you back the whole amount," he said in a soft, remorseful tone.

 

"I hope so for your sake and mine," Gregor paused before suddenly breaking into tears. "All these people! They are vultures! Vultures! If they find you weak, they won't think twice before pouncing on you." 

 

William tried to console him, but it did not prove to have much effect. After a few moments of uncomfortable sobbing, Gregor started walking, wiping off the tears. William followed him quietly, realizing the best course was to be silent for now.

 

Once they reached the gate, William found Nin Li waiting for them. He approached her and handed her the caged fairy. A look of shock and disbelief crossed Nin Li's face as she took the cage. "This...you," she muttered, unable to find the words.

 

"I noticed you were upset earlier when they brought her out," William interjected with a kind smile. "Now the decision of what to do with her rests with you."

 

Nin Li's eyes glistened with the hint of forming tears as an endearing smile graced her lips. "You bought her for me...thank you."

 

"Don't thank me," William replied. "Guild leader Gregor paid for her, with his crest no less. I'm still surprised they accepted that."

 

Nin Li's expression morphed into one of shock again. "His crest? But that's...if you can't repay, the apothecary guild will-"

 

Gregor cut her off. "There's no need to worry about that. Even if funds were an issue, which they aren't, I'll be out of a job in two weeks anyway."

 

Concern etched Nin Li's features. "But with your crest as collateral...it won't just be your job you lose-"

 

"Don't fret over it," Gregor insisted with a wave of his hand. "I said it's fine as long as I pay the full amount, which I will."

 

Nin Li approached Gregor and bowed deeply. "Guild Leader Gregor...I misjudged you. Please accept my apologies for my earlier actions."

 

"There is no need for that, my lady. And I should not have been crude to such a magnificent woman. It is truly beneath me. Please forgive me," Gregor replied with a smile.

 

After Nin Li nodded, she turned to William. "Young master...might I have a private moment with you?"

 

Surprised, William replied, "In private? Um...I suppose so...sure."

 

"Guild Leader Gregor, would you please hold her for a moment?" Nin Li handed Gregor the fairy's cage.

 

"Of course!" Gregor took the cage. Nin Li then dragged William into a corner before encasing them in a pink, shimmering bubble.

 

William gazed around the sphere in awe. "This is some sort of silence spell."

 

Nin Li nodded and said, "Young master...there is a way we can help Guild Leader Gregor with his guild issues."

 

William's eyes widened with intrigue. "There is? How?"

 

"We can use Master Moj Dak's name. That necklace you have around your neck is his emblem. It means you're the young master of the West Tower. With that identity...the nobles not only have to meet with you...they also have to listen to your suggestions," Nin Li explained.

 

Surprised understanding dawned on William as his fingers traced the necklace beneath his collared shirt. "Really? Then why don't we?"

 

"If we do...you would be attracting a lot of attention to yourself. That's not all. You see, the master's influence is too great...so he doesn't like to get involved with politics. If he finds out we intervened in such matters, he might take offense," informed Nin Li, with a grave look.

 

"Then we simply don't tell him," William stated with casual confidence.

 

"Not tell him?" Nin Li crinkled her brows.

 

"He said so himself...he doesn't even come to the city. How will he even find out?" William confidently stated.

 

Nin Li sighed. "Very well, I'm oath-bound to obey your commands. But know that I won't be able to lie should the master ask me."

 

"Understood," William acknowledged with a calm nod.

 

Nin Li then dissipated the bubble, and they rejoined Gregor, who had been watching their private exchange with obvious curiosity.

 

"Guild leader Gregor, you have shown me great kindness," Nin Li began. "Though I cannot repay you myself, my young master can." She turned to William with a nod.

 

Gregor's brow furrowed as his gaze shifted between them, confusion etched on his features.

 

With a ceremonious air, William withdrew the necklace from beneath his clothing. "The truth is, guild leader Gregor, I may have some rather significant backing after all."

 

Gregor eyed the necklace skeptically. "A piece of jewelry? Is it a magic item of some sort?"

 

"Well...technically, yes, it is a magic item. But that's beside the point!" William extended it for closer inspection. "Take a look at it."

 

Gregor leaned in, scrutinizing the pendant intently. "It does seem vaguely familiar, though I can't quite place where I've seen that symbol before. It's not a noble house crest, as those tend to depict animals or magical creatures."

 

"It's not a crest," Nin Li clarified. "It's an emblem."

 

Gregor frowned. "Even so, I'm afraid the symbol itself means nothing to me. I can't even discern what it's meant to represent."

 

"It's a tower," Nin Li stated plainly.

 

A look of dawning recognition spread across Gregor's face. "Ah, yes! Of course, now I see it – a tower."

 

His smile lingered a moment longer before understanding truly struck him. His eyes went wide, and he paled visibly.

 

"Wait...a tower? A Tower?!" he exclaimed, seemingly in shock. "A tower emblem can only mean one thing! Only four individuals bear such a symbol."

 

Nin Li nodded, a proud tilt to her chin. "Precisely. Only the Great Four."

 

Gregor nearly buckled at the knees, staggering as he regained his composure. He glanced around furtively before leaning in close, his body quivering. "Anyone caught bearing a counterfeit emblem of the Great Four would be executed on the spot," he whispered, voice trembling.

 

But Nin Li's tone was calm and assured. "I can assure you, guild leader, the young master's emblem is no forgery. It was bestowed upon him by my master, Moj Dak himself."

 

The realization hit Gregor like a physical force. His jaw went slack as profound awe and reverence washed over him. Unable to restrain himself a moment longer, he dropped to his knees, bowing his head to the floor in the middle of the bustling lobby.

 

"Guild leader Gregor! Please, get up," William urged, a tinge of embarrassment coloring his tone as astonished onlookers took note of the display.

 

But Gregor remained prostrate, pressing his forehead to the ground. "Young master, I beg your forgiveness for my ignorance! Had I known you were a direct disciple of the legendary hermit wizard Moj Dak, one of the esteemed Great Four, I would never have spoken ill of you nor subjected you to that nine-nine heavenly tribulation oath, as if you were some commoner. Please, I implore you, forgive my grievous misjudgment," Gregor choked on his words, his eyes brimming with tears.

 

"Nine-nine heavenly tribulation oath?" Nin Li looked at William, her expression marked with concern.

 

"I'll explain later," William murmured. With gentle insistence, he urged Gregor back to his feet, though the young guild leader could barely meet his eyes, shame weighing heavily upon him.

 

"Guild leader, please refrain from such actions. Your outburst has not only caused you embarrassment but also brought unwarranted attention to both of us," William whispered, an air of composure about him.

 

"As you say, Young Master." Gregor's demeanor shifted to one of the utmost subservience and deference. "I am yours to command."

 

"Now, if I were to advocate on your behalf, could we ensure you retain your position as guild leader?" William inquired, his tone leaving no doubt as to his commitment.

 

Gregor gaped at him, eyes wide with stunned disbelief. "Young Master, you...you still wish to aid me, even after all this?"

 

"Of course!" William affirmed with a warm smile. "You extended me a loan of two hundred and fifteen thousand highly concentrated soul stones, risked your reputation on my behalf, and who knows what else – all to help me, despite my lack of full transparency with you. Let's not forget, I've sworn the nine-nine heavenly tribulation oath to repay you. You have my gratitude."

 

Tears of gratitude welled in Gregor's eyes as he fumbled for words. "Thank you, Young Master. Truly, I...I don't know what to say."

 

"If you start crying again, I may just reconsider this whole endeavor," William lightly teased, allowing a playful tone to diffuse the weighty atmosphere.

 

Gregor hastily wiped at his eyes, offering William an abashed but grateful smile. "My apologies, Young Master. You're right."

 

"For now, let's leave this place," William suggested. "We can discuss the details of how best to approach this situation, with my assistance, once we're at your home."

 

Concern creased Gregor's brow. "My home? At this hour? It may grow quite late by the time our discussion concludes. But don't you reside outside the city limits, Young Master? The travel would be arduous so late."

 

William waved off his worries with an easy nonchalance. "It's just an hour away."

 

"Then please, both of you, stay at my residence tonight," Gregor implored. "It's no grand estate, but a spacious home with ample rooms to accommodate guests."

 

William's expression turned reluctant. "A generous offer, but we left our carriage at the city entrance. I'm not sure it's wise to abandon it there overnight."

 

A solution dawned on Gregor's face. "Not to worry – I'll have my driver retrieve it once he's dropped us off!"

 

William lifted a skeptical brow. "Are you certain?"

 

"There's no need for concern," Nin Li interjected calmly. "I can go and retrieve the carriage myself."

 

Gregor turned to her, brow creasing with obvious trepidation. "My lady, the entrance is quite a distance. It's not safe for you to travel alone on foot at night."

 

But Nin Li's confidence was unwavering. "I assure you, I'm more than capable. I'm exceptionally fast."

 

A mischievous grin tugged at William's lips as he lightly elbowed Gregor. "She's a gold realm," he murmured conspiratorially.

 

Dawning understanding lit Gregor's features. "Ah, I see!" His gaze drifted over her appraisingly. ""Mmm...that's odd? I don't see any tattoos."

 

"In any case, shall we proceed?" William smoothly redirected, gesturing toward the exit.

 

As they made their way out, William noticed two sharply dressed men loitering by the stairs, their scrutinizing gazes locked onto the trio. One, an impeccably attired gentleman in a dark green suit, stepped forward with an obsequious smile.

 

"Good evening, Young Master," he greeted with an exaggerated graciousness. "A delightful auction indeed, was it not? My sincerest congratulations on your remarkable victory. I must admit, I was truly impressed by your strategy of waiting until the final moment to raise your bid so dramatically."

 

William appraised the impeccably groomed gentleman, who appeared to be in his early thirties. Neatly trimmed brown hair framed a meticulously groomed mustache and goatee. His olive green suit, gilded with opulent gold trimmings up close, spoke of lavish wealth and status, further accented by the plush fur coat draped over his shoulders. A gleaming golden lion's crest pin on his left breast only reinforced his evident nobility. An aura of polished elegance and refined poise radiated from him as his curious gaze roamed over William and his companions.

 

William also took note of the second man, whose severe countenance and stark black suit marked him as the gentleman's bodyguard or attendant of some kind. The nobleman arched an expectant brow at William, clearly awaiting a response, but William merely continued on his way, opting to ignore the pair.

 

After a few paces, William glanced back to find Gregor and Nin Li still rooted in place, surprise and disbelief playing over their features. He couldn't help but notice the brief flicker of vexation that creased the fur-coated gentleman's expression before his aristocratic mask reasserted itself.

 

"Young Master, please, if I might have just a moment of your time," the man called out, a tone of polite entreaty lacing his words.

 

William maintained his unhurried stride, continuing to disregard the nobleman's bid for his attention. Moments later, Gregor and Nin Li caught up, the former regarding William with a furrowed brow of concern.

 

"What is it?" William asked, cocking a curious brow of his own.

 

Hesitation flickered across Gregor's features before he leaned in close. "Young Master, that's Lord Florence you just brushed aside," he murmured urgently. "Perhaps we should at least hear him out?"

 

William paused just shy of his waiting carriage, considering Gregor's counsel. "Very well," he relented at last, turning to face the nobleman.

 

Delight blossomed across Lord Florence's countenance. "Wonderful!" he exclaimed, seizing the opportunity. "What I wished to discuss with you—"

 

But William cut him off, redirecting his focus to Gregor once more. "I'll hear him out tomorrow at your residence," he informed the guild leader, before climbing into the carriage, peripheral vision catching Lord Florence's briefly dumbstruck expression.

 

No sooner had William settled into his seat than Lord Florence approached the carriage window, resting an extravagantly bejeweled hand on the ledge in full view. "Of course, Young Master, you're quite right," he amended deferentially. "The late hour does make for ill-suited discourse."

 

William afforded him a cursory glance and a thin smile. "I'm pleased you understand."

 

Lord Florence withdrew his hand and took a respectful step back, his own smile firmly in place. Turning to Gregor, he addressed the guild leader with courtesy. "My apologies, Guild Leader Gregor. I was recently informed you've been attempting to procure a meeting. I was away from the city negotiating treaties until this very afternoon and only just received word of your requests upon my return. I had intended to send word first thing tomorrow to arrange something, but since you're here..." His tone carried a spark of eagerness. "Perhaps we can set a meeting for tomorrow? We can discuss whatever matters you wished to raise."

 

Gregor's reply held a thinly veiled edge of exasperation. "Well, since you'll be coming to my residence tomorrow, we can simply discuss it all there. Shall I draw you a map of the location?"

 

"No need," Lord Florence assured him with an easy smile. "I'm quite familiar with your neighborhood. I often take leisurely strolls through that area, so I know precisely where you reside."

 

Feigning surprise, Gregor's tone edged into sarcasm. "Is that so? How odd that our paths have never crossed before, with us both wandering that same charming neighborhood so frequently. Well, I suppose that streak will be put to rest tomorrow."

 

"Indeed, I should certainly hope so," Lord Florence replied agreeably.

 

"Then I shall bid you good evening, my lord." Gregor offered a polite nod, assisting Nin Li into the carriage before climbing in himself.

 

Lord Florence swept his arm in a gracious valediction, and the carriage rumbled into motion, carrying them off into the night.

 

Once out of Lord Florence's sight, Gregor heaved a deep, shuddering breath, expelling it slowly as tension seeped from his shoulders. "Are you alright?" William asked, studying him with a furrowed brow.

 

Gregor's expression remained pinched with lingering trepidation. "I'm fine... I've just never imagined addressing someone so powerful and influential with such...candor before." His trembling hands rose to wipe perspiration from his forehead, a testament to the strain of their encounter.

 

William leaned in, intrigued. "He's formidable, then? How strong exactly? And what makes his position so significant?"

 

Gregor's eyes widened fractionally as he leaned closer, dropping his voice. "Young Master, Lord Florence is the current ruler of Feros City itself. Not only that, he's at the peak of the Platinum Realm – and I've heard whispers he's attempting to break through to the Diamond Realm!"

 

"Hmm, quite powerful indeed," William mused, stroking his chin contemplatively.

 

Throughout their hushed exchange, Nin Li had remained a silent, watchful presence. As the carriage pulled away from the Mu Clan estate, she sprang from her seat with blinding speed, disappearing into the maze of darkened city streets like a phantom.

 

Gregor lifted the window shade, tracking her graceful exit with an appraising gaze. "She's rather impressive," he commented, unmistakable admiration tingeing his tone.

 

William's lips curved with a proud grin as he glanced at the empty space she'd vacated. "She certainly is," he agreed in a low murmur.

 

The two men lapsed into lighter conversation for a span, exchanging casual remarks and observations. However, their banter came to an abrupt halt as the carriage lurched to a jarring stop, the velociraptors whinnying in distress.

 

Gregor's head tilted in confusion. "That's odd...we're only halfway to my estate," he remarked, his voice tinged with puzzlement. Leaning out, he tapped his knuckles sharply against the driver's window partition. "Henry? Henry, why have you stopped?"

 

Several moments lingered in eerie silence, devoid of any response. With a furrowed brow, Gregor repeated his calls into the stillness, yet they echoed unanswered. Sensing a growing unease, he resolved to delve deeper and stepped out of the carriage, moving toward the driver's seat.

 

Soon after, a piercing scream shattered the tranquility of the night, startling William from his seat. Driven by instinct, he rushed outside to investigate. There, Gregor stood, his face etched with fear as he gazed upon the scene in shock. The carriage driver lay lifeless, his head detached from his body, a somber streak of blood marking the tragic event. His limp body slouched in an unnatural posture. A metallic scent of fresh blood filled the air, causing William's stomach to churn with unease.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1