Chapter 14: Ambushed on the Road
1 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a state of shock and disbelief, William cried out, "What happened?" His voice trembled with fear and confusion at the gruesome scene before him. Gregor stood frozen, face etched with horror, rendered motionless and mute. The sight proved so horrific that Gregor fell back, seeming scarcely able to believe his own eyes. Though he appeared to want to flee or break down, he remained paralyzed, incapable of either action.

 

[Ding* The system notifies that one of the individuals tracking the host has revealed his cultivation to be at the peak of two-star gold realm.

 

William's features hardened with rage at the system's notification. System, what the heck?! Why didn't you warn me that we were being followed?

 

[Ding* The system notified the primary user. The primary user gave the system the following command: "Whatever...just tell me later."

 

William twitched his left eyebrow, scowling at the system's response. You...! Fine! Next time if they're still tailing me after I leave!

 

He shook off his frustration, realizing further remonstration was futile for now. Instead, his gaze raked over their surroundings with sharp focus, assessing the area into which they'd strayed.

 

Although still within the city proper, they had found themselves in a rather secluded, rundown district lined with shadowed alleyways and dilapidated buildings. The cramped street itself raised William's suspicions – why would the driver have chosen such a narrow, meandering route?

 

Who is it? he demanded of the system, a hard edge entering his voice as the shock began giving way to cold purpose. Is it that Xuan character?

 

[Ding* Subject known as [Big Boss Xuan] is no longer tracking the host.

[Ding* The one tracking the host's party is the subject [Lord Has] and his companion.

 

Lord Has?! I have no relation to that guy! What does he want from me?

 

Just then, a figure emerged from the alleyway to the left, donned in a gray suit complemented by a white fur coat. Following closely behind was another man, both commanding attention with their mere presence. "Well, well, what do we have here?" the first man greeted with a grin stretching across his narrow, angular face, giving him an almost reptilian aura, accentuated by his piercing, black eyes devoid of warmth.

 

William's gaze fell upon the badge adorning the man's jacket, bearing the emblem of a golden viper, a stark contrast to the lion of Lord Florence. Recognition dawned; this was none other than Lord Has, standing with poise yet lacking the etiquette and noble demeanor that Lord Florence had possessed.

 

William then turned his eyes towards Lord Has's companion, a thin but athletic man wearing a black suit, glaring at him with sanguine eyes that seemed to bore into William's soul. A chain swung from his jacket with a bloody kunai knife hanging from its tip, pulsing with a whitish glow exclusive to magic items. William felt his blood run cold as realization dawned - this man was undoubtedly Henry's killer.

 

Gregor's complexion paled, a mix of fury and fear flashing across his features as he confronted Lord Has. "Lord Has! What's the meaning of this? Why did your lackey kill my driver?"

 

Lord Has's black soulless eyes gleamed as he stroked his thin mustache, pointing nonchalantly at Henry's lifeless form. "That poor slob? You can just call him collateral damage," he replied, letting out a dastardly chuckle.

 

"Collateral damage? His name was Henry! And he has a family! How dare you?" Gregor's voice quivered with rage, tears welling up in his eyes.

 

"How dare I? Oh, I dare indeed," Lord Has sneered, his voice dripping with malice.

 

Gregor glared at him as tears fell from his eyes.

 

"Now, now, calm yourself Guild Leader Gregor. As for your driver, Henry, was it? Well, he 'had' a family," taunted Lord Has as the man beside him brandished his kunai knife attached to a chain with a wicked grin.

 

"You animal!" yelled Gregor.

 

"You dare insult a Lord of Feros," shouted the companion with an air of superiority, unleashing his cultivation.

 

Gregor started to fidget. "Peak of two-star gold," he fearfully mumbled.

 

Lord Has smirked, a cruel glint in his eye as he placed a possessive hand on his companion's shoulder. "It's all right, Bac. He won't be saying much of anything pretty soon."

 

The alley seemed to grow darker, the shadows writhing as if alive. A cold wind rushed down the street, carrying the metallic scent of Henry's blood.

 

William glared at them; his frustration palpable. "Don't waste your words, Guild Leader Gregor. These men have made their intentions clear."

 

Lord Has turned to William. "How right you are, young lad," he added in a mocking tone.

 

William's fists clenched, his resolve hardening. "What do you want from us?" he demanded; his defiance unwavering.

 

Lord Has's lips contorted into a psychotic smile. "I want many things from you... for starters... that fairy!"

 

"All of this for a fairy? You killed Henry over such a trivial reason!" Gregor's voice shook with a mixture of anger and disgust, his face twisted with rage.

 

"That's right! After witnessing your little spectacle at the auction house, I couldn't help but feel envious. A mere upstart like you, parading your wealth as if there's no tomorrow, seizing what you want... that's simply intolerable, isn't it? So, I arrived at the most logical conclusion: why not eliminate the brat who ignited this infernal desire in me?"

 

William stared blankly at Lord Has as he rambled on.

 

"Then it dawned on me that by killing you, I could also help myself to your possessions." He chuckled with a mocking tone, caressing his nobility crest. "Oh, by the way... I should extend my gratitude to you, Gregor," he continued, "for offering your emblem as collateral. How selfless of you." He then turned his attention back to William. "But the one who truly deserves my thanks is you, young lad. After all, you didn't accept the slave contract presented to you, which spared me the trouble and expense of having it annulled. For that... I am genuinely appreciative."

 

Gregor shot a venomous glare at Lord Has, who, in turn, dismissed him and declared, "For making things so convenient for me... I shall bestow upon both of you the gift of a swift demise." He feigned an air of kindness and mercy before unveiling his formidable cultivation.

 

[Ding* Updating file...

[Ding* [Lord Has] advanced stage one-star gold realm.

 

"You're going to kill us? Out here in the middle of the street?" Gregor exclaimed, his voice laced with disbelief and outrage.

 

"I can understand your lack of concern for my driver's murder," Gregor added angrily. "However, slaying the apothecary guild leader and Young Master William would seal your fate for execution!"

 

Gregor's words elicited a twisted amusement from Lord Has, and maniacal laughter echoed through the air before he abruptly returned to his grimacing expression. "Do you even realize where you stand, Gregor? Look around you! These are the slums...the most forsaken, wretched part of the slums, I might add. Not a soul is here to bear witness. Go ahead, scream for help. That's precisely why I chose this place. If anyone were to stumble upon us, they'd be among the lowest dregs of society...easily silenced with coin. And should that fail, Bac's blade will ensure their silence. No one will mourn a wretched vagrant breeding in these parts."

 

"You'll never get away with this, Lord Has!" Gregor roared furiously, his fists clenched at his sides.

 

The malevolence in Lord Has's grin deepened, his eyes glinting with sadistic cruelty. "I already have. Enough talk! Send them off, Bac."

 

Bac swiftly hurled his kunai at Gregor. William, shielding him, shoved him aside. While saving Gregor, the kunai plunged into William's chest, piercing his heart and protruding from his back.

 

"Run, you fool!" William's anguished cry tore through the air, his words flecked with blood as he crumpled to the ground. His grip on Bac's chain remained an iron vice of desperation.

 

Gregor stood frozen in disbelief, his eyes locked on the horrific sight of William's mangled form. Panic gripped him as he frantically scanned for an escape. Finally making a choice, he sprinted down the street, fleeing headlong towards the Mu Clan estate. His desperate flight did not elude Lord Has's notice.

 

"What a naive fool...does he truly believe he can escape?" Lord Has muttered derisively, shaking his head before giving chase after Gregor.

 

Meanwhile, William lay prone on the unforgiving pavement, his gaze fixed on Lord Has as the man pursued Gregor. In his helpless state, he felt the kunai brutally wrenched from his chest. He collapsed, his body twisting towards Gregor's fleeing, screaming form. Agonizing pain lanced through him, rendering him nearly immobile.

 

It hurts! That was no ordinary strike, William inwardly cursed.

 

[Ding* Host critically wounded by a mana-infused attack.

[Ding* Releasing Internal Pluripotent Regenerative Medicine.

 

The sensation of the cool, rejuvenating elixir flooded his injury, gradually restoring strength to his limbs.

 

After removing the chain, Bac wielded it with malicious intent, he began to spin and twirl the blood-drenched blade in a wicked dance. William, lying prone on the ground, remained unseen by Bac, who was solely focused on the pursuit of his new prey, Gregor. The world spun sickeningly around William as he struggled to rise, a symphony of agony resonating through his veins. Each labored moment weighed him down into a whirlpool of despair.

 

Mustering every ounce of determination, William strained to push himself upright. But just as he gathered the last reserves of his strength to stand, the system intervened, halting any rash movements. The dread of vulnerability washed over him as he lay there, desperately trying to overcome the constraints and rejoin the relentless chase.

 

[Ding* The system strongly recommends the host remain motionless until the heart rupture is fully sealed.

 

What? No! They'll kill him! William's silent scream echoed in his mind; his voice muted by his grievous injuries.

 

[Ding* The mana-infused damage has slowed the restorative effects of the IPRM. Engaging in combat before the rupture seals risks permanent debilitation.

 

How long until I can move?

 

[Ding* Essential organ recovery estimated within 1 minute. Full recovery projected in 5 minutes.

 

What? I don't have a minute! I need to move now! William strained to push himself upright, but searing agony pinned him down.

 

"Arrrrrgh!" A guttural cry tore from his lips as he glimpsed Lord Has pouncing upon Gregor, pinning him savagely to the ground. Bac arrived moments later.

 

System, do something! William's plea was fraught with desperation.

 

[Ding* The host is urged to remain immobile. Further movement risks compounding the injuries.

 

No! NO! William struggled futilely, his heart thundering as he witnessed Lord Has's relentless assault on Gregor's defenseless form. Sickening impacts reverberated through the alley as Lord Has mercilessly ground Gregor's face into the unyielding concrete, punctuated by agonized screams. Lord Has's maniacal laughter filled the air, a chilling accompaniment to the horrific scene unfolding before William's eyes.

 

William's vision blurred, his eyes stinging with a potent mix of rage and helpless tears. The overwhelming powerlessness bore down crushingly, a leaden weight upon his chest. His mind raced, consumed by the bitter realization that possessing General Ja'aduk's might could have made the crucial difference. As this painful truth sank in, William felt his consciousness slipping away, overwhelmed by a surging tempest of energy roiling from within his very soul.

 

[Ding* Unauthorized foreign influence detected.

[Ding* The system requests permission to temporarily suspend the primary user's consciousness.

 

The warning blared stridently in William's mind, a jarring intrusion amidst the maelstrom surrounding him. His thoughts whirled like a hurricane, a tempest of fury and defiance.

 

No! Don't suspend anything, William's voice rumbled with primal intensity, echoing through the depths of his being in visceral defiance of reason.

 

[Ding* Warning! The primary user's active consciousness is at severe risk of trauma. Temporary suspension is strongly advised to prevent mental degradation.

 

Yet even as the system urged capitulation, a mysterious torrent of crimson-colored mana surged through William's body, electrifying every fiber of his being. It was a sensation without comparison - an infusion of boundless might and indomitable determination. His muscles pulsed with preternatural power, his senses honed to razored keenness. The injury in his chest closed instantly. However, this exhilarating renewal came at a perilous cost, as the fabric of his sanity began to fray.

 

By then, an all-consuming urge to obliterate anything in his path had taken root in his psyche, a dark force tugging insidiously at his very essence.

 

[Ding* Warning! Critical Danger! The host is strongly urged to cede control immediately to prevent catastrophic mental degradation. Continuing is inadvisable in the utmost.

 

No! I have to! William's words were a defiant battle cry, a last unyielding stand against the encroaching madness. He teetered on the precipice, his consciousness straining to maintain its tenuous grasp, even as the torrent of foreign influence threatened to engulf him utterly.

 

His gaze locked onto the interspatial ring bearing General Ja'aduk's sword, his fingers tingling with fevered anticipation. The hilt of the blade materialized in his grip, the chill metal an anchor amidst the tempest ravaging his sanity. Grasping the weapon firmly, he steeled himself for the confrontation ahead.

 

Moments later, the scene erupted with the intensity of a lightning strike. William's eyes, previously lost in chaos, laser-focused with lethal clarity upon Bac. The assassin's blade hovered perilously at Gregor's throat, ready to deliver the fatal, merciless stroke.

 

With inexplicable might surging through his veins, William exploded into action. His leap embodied unbridled ferocity, vengeance and salvation given form. The sword, an extension of his inviolable will, gleamed with deadly promise.

 

In the blink of an eye, William landed directly behind Bac, his blade an instrument of lethal intent. It stabbed through the air with uncanny precision, plunging into the back of Bac's neck. A savage pull, a rending motion that severed throat and sinew, and it was done.

 

As the blade tore free from the front, a crimson geyser of life erupted from the gruesome wound. Bac's lifeless fingers slipped from his knife as his body crumpled to the ground, a grotesque display of finality. William, unflinching, withdrew the blade, allowing the darkness to claim its fallen servant.

 

With a deadly gaze burning with righteous fury, William turned to face Lord Has. The lord's countenance contorted into a grotesque rictus of horror; his features frozen in shock at the gruesome tableau that had just unfolded before him.

 

"You...you should be dead! But your cultivation..." Before Lord Has could finish his sentence, William slashed his blade at Lord Has's neck, decapitating him instantly.

 

The sheer force flung the head several feet from the rest of the body, landing it on the dirty pavement before rolling into an adjacent alley. Lord Has's headless body collapsed onto the ground, blood flowing from the cavity.

 

William's laughter was manic, a torrent of madness that echoed through the alley. "Worm! You thought you could kill me!? ME!" He pressed on, relentless in his assault on the lifeless body, slashing and tearing through the gruesome carcass. Nearby, Gregor's unconscious form was flung to the side by the sheer force of William's unhinged rage.

 

After a few moments of mutilating the corpse, William felt a searing pain in his head.

 

"Arghh!! Stop! Not again!" The sword dropped from his hand as he clutched his forehead.

 

[Ding* Warning! The primary user's consciousness is under tremendous stress. Advising suspension of active consciousness immediately.

 

"No, wait! I...need….to...fight....it," William strained to regain control.

 

After a few moments, as he fought to regain control of his mind, William suddenly heard a voice calling out to him, You and I are forever bound, and this body will be mine.

 

[Ding* Mental corruption detected.

 

William knelt down, his fists crashing into the unforgiving ground with bone-crushing force. Each blow sent shockwaves through the earth, causing the terrain to tremble and cracks to spiderweb from the epicenter of his fury. He couldn't control the raw power coursing through him, a volatile mix of his enhanced nanobots and the surging mana enveloping his body.

 

For what felt like an eternity, he raged without restraint, every punch echoing the storm of emotions within him. The ground yielded to his wrath, bearing the scars of his unbridled strength.

 

Then, like the calm after a tempest, the raging asura in his eyes began to dissipate. The frenetic tempo of his punches gradually slowed, and in the midst of heavy, labored breaths, William's fury subsided. He stood amidst the aftermath of his outburst, the earth bearing witness to the turmoil he had unleashed.

 

[Ding* Mental corruption removed.

[Ding* Primary user's consciousness stabilizing.

[Ding* Primary user's stress levels stabilizing.

 

"Ha!" William gasped as he regained full control of his mind.

 

"What was that?" he wondered. Then he realized that the words spoken earlier were in Namreg. "Was that General Ja'aduk?"

 

[Ding* Affirmative.

 

"How is that possible? I thought he was dead."

 

[Ding* The system is unable to provide an accurate prognosis at the moment. In-depth analysis of the host and primary user is required.

 

"Okay. So do it," William instructed.

 

[Ding* The system requires the suspension of the primary user's active consciousness to perform the analysis.

 

"Hmm." William heard Gregor groaning as he held his head. Now's not a good time. I need to get out of here first. We can do the analysis later.

 

[Ding* Instructions accepted. Commencement of analysis deferred.

 

William carefully placed General Ja'aduk's sword into his interspatial ring, securing the powerful weapon.

 

He then turned his attention to Gregor, who had borne the brunt of the vicious confrontation, leaving him briefly unconscious. As Gregor slowly stirred, William swiftly moved to his side and reached out a steadying hand to assist him in regaining his balance. The surrounding atmosphere remained fraught with palpable tension, shrouded in an eerie silence. Gregor, still groggy from the traumatic experience, struggled to reorient himself amidst the chaos.

 

William leaned in closer, worry etched across his features as he examined Gregor. "Are you alright?" he inquired, his eyes carefully scanning a minor cut on Gregor's throat, likely a remnant from Bac's merciless blade.

 

"Young Master! You're alive?!" Gregor exclaimed, his voice filled with frantic relief mingled with disbelief.

 

"It would appear so," William responded, feigning a mild sense of amazement. "Sometimes, staging one's demise can be a life-saving performance. I pretended to be slain to catch them off guard. They were too formidable to defeat directly, and I needed a strategy that would take them utterly by surprise."

 

"But I saw the blade pierce through your heart," Gregor said, his confusion evident as he scrutinized William's torn shirt, both front and back. After closer inspection, he gasped in shock. "Young Master! What...what happened to your wound? There's not even a speck of blood on your garment!"

 

William offered a disarming smile and scratched the back of his head in an awkward gesture. "Ah, that...It was Moj Dak's doing," he mumbled evasively.

 

"The great Wizard?" Gregor's eyes widened with awe.

 

"Yes, Moj Dak. He granted me a life-preserving enchantment to save me from a fatal blow," William replied, avoiding direct eye contact.

 

Gregor stroked his chin pensively. "I've never heard of anything so powerful...I mean, you were pierced through the heart?"

 

Sensing Gregor's doubts, William swiftly added, "It wasn't my heart, just very close to it, fortunately."

 

"I see," Gregor remarked, his expression still clouded with uncertainty.

 

"Consider this – if it were truly my heart that was struck, I would have perished instantly. Yet here I stand, conversing with you. Who has ever heard of someone surviving such a grievous heart injury, let alone being able to fight afterwards? I was simply fortunate, that's all." William's voice took on a reassuring tone as he spoke in hushed tones.

 

"I...suppose you're right," Gregor mumbled, unconvinced. He stroked his chin once more but abruptly stopped upon noticing the blood coating his finger.

 

"Oh, my face!" He exclaimed, quickly retrieving a cloth from his pocket to dab at the crimson stains marring his features.

 

[Ding* Primary user's information is inaccurate.

[Ding* The host was indeed pierced through the heart.

[Ding* However, internal pluripotent regenerative medicine rapidly healed the host as a major organ [Heart] was damaged.

 

I understand, but I can't tell him the truth. He's already quite unsettled from all the recent events.

 

Gregor halted his cleaning efforts and questioned in a puzzled tone, "There's one thing I just can't seem to understand."

 

"What's that?" William inquired, inwardly concerned that Gregor might have discovered the truth about his extraordinary healing abilities.

 

"Why did Henry take us through the slums? It's the longer route home, and we could have avoided this entire confrontation with Lord Has if he'd stayed on the main road."

 

William's brow furrowed as he considered the possibilities. "Do you think it's possible Henry might have been working in league with Lord Has?"

 

Gregor shook his head vehemently in disbelief. "If that were the case, why would Lord Has kill Henry? If they had been conspiring together all along, wouldn't they have simply stopped the carriage here anyway? Why eliminate him?"

 

"Perhaps they had a disagreement over something. I mean, if we assume Henry was indeed involved, Lord Has must have been paying him. Maybe they argued over the payment terms," William suggested, his mind racing.

 

"I don't know. That could be a possibility, I suppose," Gregor conceded, scratching his head in contemplation.

 

William's expression grew solemn. "Or perhaps there was no disagreement at all," he remarked, his voice tinged with gravitas.

 

"What do you mean?" Gregor looked at him with furrowed brow, curiosity etched across his features.

 

William took a deep, steadying breath before responding. "Well, you see, two people can only keep a secret if one of them is dead. If Henry was indeed involved with Lord Has, even after receiving payment, he would have remained a potential threat – a loose end. Given what we've witnessed of Lord Has today, we know he doesn't hesitate to eliminate anyone who poses a risk, as our little encounter here clearly suggests. It's not far-fetched to think that Lord Has might have considered it prudent to simply get rid of Henry once their business was concluded – no loose ends left behind."

 

Gregor's eyes widened as realization slowly dawned. "But, if that's the case, it implies they had been planning this ambush all along. But when? To the best of my knowledge, Henry had no opportunity to converse with Lord Has."

 

William's gaze grew pointed. "To the best of your knowledge," he repeated, his tone laden with cryptic implication.

 

A flicker of doubt crossed Gregor's eyes before he regained his composure, shaking his head slightly as if to dispel the unthinkable notion. "I still can't bring myself to believe that Henry would do something like this. He cared for my father long before he did for me. Is it because of what happened to my father that people are now turning against me?" Dejection marked his expression once more.

 

William remained silent for a moment, his mind wrestling with the troubling possibility of Henry's involvement in Lord Has's treacherous plot. He knew the truth would be difficult to accept, and he weighed his next words carefully.

 

He contemplated for a brief moment.

 

System, do you have any information regarding why Henry brought us to this location?

 

[Ding* Searching files…

[Ding* Files located.

[Ding* Upon the successful payment for the fairy, subject [Lord Has] approached subject [Henry] while the host was engaged in conversation with Gregor.

[Ding* Subject [Lord Has] offered subject [Henry] one thousand gold coins in exchange for guiding subject [Guild Leader Gregor] through the slums, ensuring that subject [Guild Leader Gregor] would arrive home later than expected.

[Ding* Subject [Henry] agreed to the arrangement, as he believed that 'slightly delaying his master's return wouldn't pose an inconvenience.'

 

What?! Why didn't you inform me of this sooner?! William exclaimed in frustration.

 

[Ding* The system determined that selecting an alternative route might cause a minor inconvenience to the host in terms of time but wouldn't pose a life-threatening risk.

[Ding* The system refrains from notifying the primary user of irrelevant non-life-threatening information unless specifically requested.

 

Non-life-threatening? What about the attack and the near-death experience?

 

[Ding* The system has recorded the circumstances that led to this incident and will store them for future reference.

 

Hmm. Make sure of that.

 

William shifted his attention to Gregor, who appeared deeply distressed.

 

Should I disclose this to him? How can I explain it, though? Perhaps I'll have Nin Li inform him, making it appear as though she deduced it on her own, William contemplated.

 

He shook his head and glanced at the lifeless bodies.

 

No matter...I'll find a solution later, he thought.

 

First...let's see if these imbecils have any valuable items, he pondered as he approached the bodies of the two men, kicking Bac's body first, turning his face up. He glanced at it momentarily before gasping in horror.

 

"Is that...?" He attempted to utter something but stopped abruptly.

 

"What is it?" Gregor inquired.

 

"Oh, nothing. I was just inspecting his weapon," William responded, bending down to retrieve the kunai with chain.

 

"Young master, let's make our way back to my residence. We can't be certain if Lord Has had additional guards in the vicinity," Gregor proposed with a hint of unease.

 

"Yes. Let me just see if these bastards have anything on them," William replied, proceeding to search through Bac's remains.

 

System, is Bac a warlock? William inquired; his curiosity piqued.

 

[Ding* Analyzing signs...cross-referencing files.

[Ding* Affirmative. The system's reference files confirm that the subject [Bac] is indeed a warlock.

 

How is that possible? Is Lord Has also a warlock?

 

[Ding* Analyzing signs...cross-referencing files.

[Ding* Negative. Reference files indicate that the subject [Lord Has] is a human.

 

Wait... he paused. This doesn't make any sense. Why would a warlock serve under a human. William shook his head, clearly perplexed. Never mind, I'll revisit this later. He rubbed his temples, showing signs of frustration. It's evident that there's much to contemplate.

 

William resumed his search, and after meticulously inspecting Bac's belongings, he discovered an interspatial ring. Upon smearing his blood on it, he officially claimed ownership as the ring recognized him as its new owner. He then delved his consciousness into it, uncovering its contents. Inside, William found a stash of four hundred and twenty thousand gold coins, along with an assortment of weapons, armor, medicinal pills, cultivation scrolls, peculiar artifacts, clothing, and provisions. His reaction was somewhat muted.

 

That's a substantial sum of gold coins. Under different circumstances, I'd be quite impressed, but as a cultivator, it falls short of expectations, William thought with a hint of disappointment. He searched Bac for another interspatial ring, hoping to uncover some valuable soul stones, but his efforts proved futile.

 

Turning his attention to Lord Has's mutilated and headless corpse, he held out hope for the prospect of soul stones. Such an esteemed lord should have some soul stones on him, William mumbled.

 

After a thorough search of the headless body, he did manage to find two interspatial rings. William's face lit up with anticipation as he claimed one of them. Two interspatial rings? These appear to be the type with the most significant dimensional capacity, he thought with growing excitement.

 

Upon asserting ownership of the ring, William explored its contents, revealing a trove of luxurious garments, enchanted weaponry, fine armor, exquisite wines, gourmet cuisine, rare pelts, enchanted talismans, cultivation scrolls, lavish jewelry, and medicinal pills. However, he noticed a conspicuous absence of coins or soul stones.

 

Interesting... there's certainly an abundance of valuable items here. I recognize some rare herbs and magical artifacts, which could fetch a pretty penny, William mused. Let's see what the other ring holds. Hopefully, it contains some soul stones. With renewed optimism, he claimed ownership of the second ring and delved his consciousness into it.

 

However, as he examined the ring's contents, his brow furrowed in puzzlement. This...this can't be, growing increasingly bewildered. Inside the interspatial ring, he found a staggering 5.2 million gold coins, 10,000 low-tier soul stones, 100 mid-tier soul stones, and 10 high-tier soul stones. His frown deepened as he continued searching.

 

It's much more wealth than I had, but how can a lord be in such financial straits? Even Gregor had taken several thousand high-concentration soul stones to the auction, William contemplated.

 

Suddenly, a revelation struck him. Wait a moment! I distinctly remember this scoundrel purchasing several items at the auction for hundreds of thousands of high-concentration soul stones. However, neither those items nor any high-concentration soul stones can be found in either of his interspatial rings.

 

 Let me check again, William thought, his determination unwavering as he scrutinized the body once more.

 

Despite his thorough search, he came up empty-handed, and his frustration finally bubbled over, causing him to pound the ground in vexation. The ground cracked all around him from his inhuman punch. It's not here! Could he have passed it to someone else before coming here? Perhaps another one of Lord Has’s bodyguards was involved?

 

Gregor turned to face William; his concern evident in his eyes. "Young Master, is everything alright?"

 

Shaking his head with a sigh, William responded, his disappointment palpable. "No...we should leave."

 

"I concur...before we attract any unwanted attention. Lord Has may have attacked us, but he was still a Lord of Feros. If we were to face judgment, it might not be in our favor."

 

"Should we dispose of their bodies?" William inquired.

 

Gregor contemplated the proposition and replied somberly, "No. The slums will handle it. Despite the tattered state of their clothes, they are of high quality, which will undoubtedly arouse the curiosity of the local inhabitants. As for their bodies...well, they're fresh meat, and many ferocious rodent-type magical creatures' dwell in this area, some even possessing rudimentary magical cultivation. When they gather in great numbers, even a gold realm cultivator would think twice."

 

"Fresh meat?" William inquired, seeking clarification.

 

"Other than rodents, numerous races here in the slums engage in cannibalism, and even some of the humans have little regard for their own kind," Gregor explained, gesturing towards the carriage.

 

"As of now, my primary concern is our carriage. Lord Has released our velociraptors. Leaving my carriage near Lord Has's body would be akin to extending an open invitation that connects me to the incident," Gregor added.

 

William offered a solution, saying, "I can pull it. You can guide me from the driver's seat, as I'm not familiar with the way."

 

[Ding* The system can locate Guild Leader Gregor's house.

 

However, William chose to disregard the system.

 

"You're going to pull it? You can't!" Gregor exclaimed; his embarrassment apparent. "It's exceedingly heavy, and it wouldn't be appropriate, Young Master."

 

William paid no heed to the objections and strode over to the carriage, confidently declaring, "Don't worry; I've got this." He grasped the reins and began pulling the carriage forward. Though Gregor flushed with embarrassment, a few encouraging gestures from William convinced him to hop into the driver's seat.

 

System, did anyone observe us in this area?

 

[Ding* The system hasn't detected any signs of life within a three-block radius, save for local insects and rodents.

 

Exhaling with relief, Good.

 

With that, he continued to tow the carriage, skillfully setting it in motion.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1