Ch2: Baker’s Luck
37 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I tried to rush inside, but Melanie’s hand firmly gripped the back of my tunic and held me tight. Since I was moving forward at the time, I choked myself on the strings of said tunic like a pomeranian reaching the end of its leash.

Probably looked just as funny.

For added measure, I yelped.

"Harper Emerson you wait just a darn moment," my surprisingly strong pixie companion said, stomping one foot for good measure. "You can’t just go running off like that!"

I pointed forward, towards the door. "But she needs help!"

Melanie released the back of my shirt, and spun me around. Relationship Status didn’t change, but I could tell she was pretty close to being tempted. The disappointment was clear on her face.

"Harper, this is serious."

I tried to look sympathetic, but it was really hard when my stupid brain was shouting about six different things, and none of them were this conversation. "I know, Mel. Promise, I do. But I can’t just stop and think and worry when there’s a dream to work towards." I reached out and squeezed her shoulder. "That’s what I’ve got you for. You do all the worrying so my dysfunctional brain doesn’t need to."

Melanie rubbed the bridge of her nose. "All right. Fine. You’re gonna go in there and do…what, exactly? Walk me through it, so I can worry while you go have fun."

"I’m going to get a job."

She paused. "You aren’t a [Baker]." It was stated in the same way one would tell a small child they weren’t immortal.

"And I’m not a [Chef] either, but I’m not gonna let that stop me! Besides, the sign said Assistant Baker. Gives more leeway."

Melanie’s mouth looked like she sucked on a raw lemon. "I’m at a loss for words, sugar. What’s your plan after getting a job?"

"Work really hard, earn some money, and buy a property in town so I can open a restaurant?"

The pixie was quiet for a moment. 

I listened to the very distressing noises coming from inside the bakery. The air held a fairly acrid smell, like something was burning on a stove or in an oven.

Someone was shouting, and it sounded angry.

"You’ve actually thought this through," Melanie said, finally.

I shrugged. "More or less."

"All right." She looked defeated, like she’d lost her place in the world for a moment. But then the uncertainty was gone faster than it showed up, and she was all brilliant smiles and warm eyes. "Whatcha want me to do while you’re working?"

I tapped a finger to my chin. Obviously I could have her lurk around and help, but that didn’t seem like a good use of her time. We could strategize.

The door to the bakery opened behind me and someone rushed out onto the small wooden porch, a box clutched tight to her chest like it was a family heirloom. She took one look at me and Melanie, shouted "They’re mine!" and then fled down the street like we’d tried to mug her.

"You better get on in there," Melanie said with a whistle. "I think that place might riot if they don’t get some help."

"On it. But first…you feel like taking a look around the town to scout some places? Looking for something that’s a fix-me-up. We won’t have a lot in the way of discretionary funds, but we can put a little elbow grease into fixing something up."

Melanie took one look down the street we were on, and I knew what she was thinking. Every building was picturesque and perfect, without a brick out of place. Finding something run down was going to be a treasure hunt of the highest order, but I figured if anyone could handle it, it’d be my main gal Mel. 

"You got it," she said, flashing me a brilliant smile. 

Before I could turn away, Melanie’s human form vanished into a puff of pink smoke that smelled faintly like the marionberries I remembered from my childhood. Little bit like a raspberry, little like a blackberry. All wonderful. 

When the smoke cleared, Melanie darted forward on tiny white wings, her diminutive pixie form flying about three feet off the ground.

"Enjoy your time at work!"

I didn’t bother to do anything more than wave in her direction before I turned towards the chaos of the bakery. A muffled crashing sound was followed by startled shrieks. I quickened my pace, nearly colliding with a frazzled man who was rushing out the door with a frantic look on his face. 

My nose twitched at the mingled scents of sugar, fruit, and burnt…something.

"Whoa," I said as I surveyed the pandemonium before me.

The pretty blonde baker seemed to be drowning in a sea of flustered customers, desperate for their sugar fix. 

Despite the frenetic energy around her, the baker moved with a poise and grace that seemed otherworldly. Her long blonde hair was pulled into a loose ponytail that allowed escaped hair to frame her face. She had long bangs, almost as if they were in need of a trim, and her wide green eyes sparkled like precious emeralds.

She did her best to calm an angry customer with a tired yet radiant smile that revealed a hint of dimples. Her eyes flickered towards me, standing in the doorway, and she lifted a hand as if I were a welcome guest instead of a new face in a sea of so many.

"Welcome to Enchanted Crumbs," she shouted over the din before returning to the man before her. He seemed frantic and upset, but his anger did nothing to dim her brilliant smile.

Someone jostled my shoulder as they pushed past me into the bakery and I realized I’d just been standing there staring at her.

Whoops.

The bakery was just as charming as the baker.

As I gave up my position as a doorstop in order to make my way through the crowd, I found myself admiring the decor. The front room seemed to be a large dining area, with handcrafted wooden tables and chairs that didn’t seem to match one another. Along the back of the room was a huge wooden counter that had some glass domes displaying an array of pastries that made my mouth water.

Now, I’m not a small man. At just shy of 6’2" and at around 230 pounds, I didn’t exactly have a "push me around and I’ll let it happen" frame. But no one seemed to care! Not a single person budged and some of them even actively shoved me when I tried to slip past. They were all so focused on getting their pastries that they were being as unaccommodating as possible.

It took everything I had not to start activating [Combat Actions] to get through the crowd.

By the time I’d made it to the counter, the man was done yelling at the baker and she was packing up his order from the racks behind her.

"I hate to interrupt," I said, flashing the man a smile when he glared at me. "Sorry my man, but this won’t take a second. Uh… Miss? I think something’s burning back there." I jerked my thumb towards the saloon doors that separated the main dining area and the kitchen.

Realization washed over the baker’s face. "My croissants! Oh, Ned, I’m sorry, I’ll be just a moment!"

The man—who I was guessing was Ned—frowned at me. His stance was so aggressive—clenched fists and bared teeth—that I wondered if he was going to try to start something. "You could have waited until I got my order. I’ve been here for an hour already!”

"Truly sorry, my good chum."

I readied a [Combat Action] just in case he decided to take a step my way. Maybe a quick [Combat Action: Shadow Step] to dodge a punch would dissuade him from following up.

"Oh, leave him be," an older woman behind Ned said. She swatted his arm with a light touch. "You know Sasha’s been hurting for help since Griffin went on that quest. She’ll be right back."

Ned glared at me, but his body language shifted into something much less aggressive. "Yeah, I know. Just could have waited another moment is all."

The baker—Sasha, I assumed—returned from the kitchen, rubbing her hands on her apron. She had a dusting of flour across her nose that was so enchantingly adorable.

Sasha looked at Ned with a patient smile before turning to me. "Well, those are blacker than a dragon’s eye, but thank you anyway, stranger."

"Harper," I said. "And don’t get me wrong, I love the frazzled look on you, but do you potentially need some help running this place? I saw your sign out front."

A pretty pink flush rushed across her porcelain skin. "Well met, Harper. I’m Sasha. And I absolutely could use the hand, as long as you aren’t planning to run off like the last adventurer."

New Relationship Unlocked!

Sasha - Human, Baker
Long-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱ 80% (240, Intimate Confidant)
Short-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱ 60% (150, Affectionate Interest)

Critical Success (situational)! Relationship gain modified by CHA and LCK!

Warning! Current Short-Term Relationship below current Long-Term Relationship. Estimated equilibrium point at 195.

"No worries there," I said, placing one hand on the counter so I could vault over it. I made it look smooth, even though my sword almost got caught on the edge of the counter. "Ex-adventurer Harper."

Relationship Increased!

Sasha - Human, Baker
Long-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱ 80% (240, Intimate Confidant)
Short-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱ 70% (210, Truly Bonded)

Warning! Current Short-Term Relationship below current Long-Term Relationship. Estimated equilibrium point at 225.

I tried to not grin at the immediate shift in Relationship Status. Wasn’t sure if it was my smooth dismount from the counter that caught her attention, or my retired adventurer status. But either way, I was happy to see the shift.

"Well then, let’s get you started, ex-adventurer Harper." Sasha smiled at me and motioned to the kitchen. "Inside there’s some aprons. Could you get one on and then start taking orders? I’ll fill ‘em up behind you and we’ll get these people on their way!"

A few murmurs of joy erupted from the crowd and I gave my new boss a big thumbs up before ducking into the kitchen.

I don’t know what I was expecting, seeing as how this whole town so far had quaint on lockdown, but the kitchen was huge. Two massive magic-enhanced ovens stood in the center of the room, and I could see muffins baking in them now. The burnt croissants—which, speaking of a connoisseur of I-forgot-I-left-food-on-the-stove dinners, weren’t all that burnt—were off to a counter on the right-hand side of the kitchen.

The aforementioned aprons were hung carefully next to the saloon doors, and there were a few that actually looked like they might fit across my muscular barrel chest.

"Right," I murmured to myself, "the last guy was an adventurer, too."

As soon as the brilliant green apron was tied around my waist, I took a moment to unbuckle my sword and leave it in the kitchen. Washed my hands—because I wasn’t a monster—and then I burst through the saloon doors as if I were the star of the show.

No one seemed to care.

Well, no one except Sasha.

She looked relieved, and that was enough for me.

And Ned was gone. That was nice.

I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.

For around the next hour, I worked hard to take everyone’s order as fast as I could. Most people were understanding of this being my first day on the job and they repeated orders when asked. Some folks were a little more rude, but I put on my best customer service smile and took it like a champ.

There were some things in life you never forgot, and one of those was how to work retail and food service.

Kill ‘em with kindness. And carbs.

Sasha and I thinned the crowd little by little. As soon as I had taking orders under control, she showed me how to use the little magical lockbox that acted like a cash register, as well as the abacus she kept for calculating who owed what. I didn’t have any issues with basic arithmetic, so that thing was likely going to collect dust while I was here, since Sasha didn’t seem to have any need for it either.

After about another half an hour of both taking orders and ringing folks up, the crowds finally dispersed. I couldn't help but notice how effortlessly Sasha and I clicked together, like two perfectly aligned gears in a well-oiled machine.

I guess you could say we were baking beautiful music together.

"Harper, you're a lifesaver!" Sasha beamed at me as another customer headed out the door. "I don't know what I would've done without you."

"Hey, no problem," I replied nonchalantly, though my ego was doing cartwheels. "Just doing my part."

"I hate to make you work a little longer, but could I ask you for one more favor?"

"Of course!" I said, dusting my hands on my apron. "What's up?"

"I… well, would you mind running an errand for me?" She looked uncertain, and before I could answer she rushed into an explanation. "See, I need to pick up a wheat order from a local farmer named Florence, and she’ll close up shop soon, but I’m so far behind on everything around here because I’ve been without help all week. There’s paperwork to do, prep for tomorrow that needs to be done, and I need to clean the whole darn kitchen from top to bottom."

"Of course," I replied, already plotting how I could make the most of this opportunity. "In fact, I'll do you one better. How about I bring her a selection of our finest pastries as a gesture of goodwill and as an apology for having to deal with me instead of you?" I grinned, and immediately Sasha returned it.

"I don’t think that’ll be a worry at all, but I agree that Florence would love some pastries. She’s especially fond of eclairs and chocolate croissants."

Without hesitating, Sasha put together a box of pastries for the farmer. "Once you’re back, I’ll get you paid for the day and you can be on your way."

Relationship Stabilized!

Sasha - Human, Baker
Long-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱ 80% (240, Intimate Confidant)
Short-Term Relationship: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱ 80% (240, Intimate Confidant)

You will no longer lose Long-Term Relationship status.

I thought about my triple-80s this morning and a sly grin crossed my lips. "Great thinking, boss. Unless you need me to stay late around here? Maybe…help you with some of those menial tasks?"

That sprinkling of blush returned to her cheeks. "Oh, no, don’t worry about that. Don’t want to wear you out on the first day!"

I couldn’t help myself: I winked. "Don’t worry Sasha; I’ve got a pretty amazing CON. I can go for hours still."

If the blush had been a dusting before, it was now a thick coat. Her cheeks were so inflamed she could have burned croissants on them. "Oh!" She buried her face in her hands and laughed, just a short little burst of uncomfortable giggling.

But I noticed she didn’t say no.

"But all right, Boss Lady. I’ll go ahead and fetch your wheat from the fair Florence. Be back in two shakes of a raccoon's tail!"

"Thank you so much," Sasha said, lowering her hands away from her still blushing face. "Florence's farm is Celestial Sprouts, just outside of town to the north; you can't miss it. She’s got a cute little wooden sign on the edge of her property that’ll let you know you’ve arrived."

2