19 – Don’t turn away from their eyes
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"How could something so small brew so much trouble, the shrimp eater thought."

Still, better late than never i suppose. I'm also almost done with these transitory chapters, next one will probably be last before i start the new arc properly.

The Slayer, she said. In the end, it was just an old folktale, probably told to children.

A being that killed witches.

"My caretakers often told me about *him*. That if i left home by myself or didn't do as they instructed me, the slayer would get me. Demons, magical beasts, magic wielders... the slayer reaped them all". Those were the words she used.

Witches weren't strangers to being targeted. Be it from humans fearful of their powers, or other witches seeking dominance, plenty of such examples can be found throughout history. Even in ancient times, when those called witches weren't even the same type of existence that they are today, there were witch-hunts. That's why these kinds of stories weren't all that uncommon.

No matter what kind of impression the general populace has of witches, a mid-rank witch wouldn't be able to stand against an army of a hundred peasants, and a high-rank witch could still be killed in her sleep. They may be powerful beings, but not enough to be above numbers and cunning.

Aside from that, Dailah and Scariot tried asking about other peculiarities they noticed. She denied direct involvement with the Rat Lord incident, though she admitted to having been observing them during their watch and subjugation operations.

They also tried asking about her horns but she would always give deflective answers. In truth, neither of the two particularly cared that much about them. It might've made her look like a succubi from stories, but stories are all they are in the end. Those horns could be anything from birth deformities to ornaments. Scariot told the girl about cultures that would carve complex drawings in their skins or even bury gems under their flesh, often for magical purposes.

In the first place, the myth of the succubi was likely born out of the violent acts of powerful witches from the past. It'd be hard to differentiate between a demon of lust that steals men and torments women from a witch that goes around pillaging villages. As far as they could see, that was not the type of person she was.

Though she was still under suspicion.

"...that is about what we manage to discover."

Ishmael had plenty of questions as well of course, but they were mostly trivial ones. The state of the surroundings, dungeons, technological advancement... she was even surprised when they told her about the dual government system of Stone City, where the Magic Association and the City Hall both shared similar governing power. Witches willingly sharing their rule with normal people was certainly unusual in historical terms.

"...i see. Good work."

Right now, Dailah was sharing her discoveries with Daniela in a quiet spot. A closed canteen in the middle of what could only be described as "nowhere" within the association.

When she went to report her findings, her superior immediately stopped her in her tracks and took her to this "place she recently found out about".

Really, why all the secrecy? Daniela suddenly spoke up, as if reading Dailah's mind.

"The walls have eyes and ears, especially when you're in a position like mine. Conducting suspicious off-the-book operations like this can and will be used against me whenever the opportunity arises."

"Why make it a secret then?"

The woman crossed her arms.

"I don't know how the association would react to her existence. Besides, there's a high chance she would have hidden herself or run away if she noticed i broke her terms."

"...her terms?"

Dailah narrowed her eyes at that word.

"She agreed to meet you specifically." - She said, pointing a finger at her. - "Called you a 'rare thing'. I think those were her words."

She felt a slight chill when hearing that. But thinking about it properly, she had an idea of what Ishmael meant.

"She's probably referring to my relationship with Mr. Crowley. She mentioned something about a pact and how crowleys are actually very loyal."

"...that's very hard to believe."

"I agree."

This exchange made Dailah remember something her companion mentioned when they were leaving Ishmael's home.

"Scariot said there's a good chance that woman is going senile."

That wasn't one of her sarcastic quips either. Powerful witches could lead long lives, even as long as two centuries, all while their bodies still looked to be in their thirties.

Unfortunately, however, their minds weren't as good at resisting the test of time. It was well known the oldest witches weren't the most lucid.

"You did say there was a good chance she was very old... i'll keep that in mind."

"..."

Dailah hadn't asked much of Daniela, only to tell her about developments in the kidnapping case. Mariane would probably already do that for her but she wasn't as privy to the newest developments as the person in front of her.

"...speak."

But there was still something she needed to know.

"Why... are you so interested in that person?"

The witch thought for a few moments, measuring her words.

"Just a hunch." - She looked directly into her eyes with a serious expression. - "Tell me Dailah. What did you think of her? Of Ishmael."

Answering questions with questions isn't good manners the girl thought, but she wasn't about to voice out her grievances.

"Eccentric. Intimidating too i suppose."

One didn't need to be a high-ranked witch to tell that woman was strong.

"Only that?"

Again, Dailah couldn't shake off the feeling she was being tested at something. Whatever, she wasn't fussed about such things.

"She said i could visit her again. I imagine her to be an interesting person to chat with at least."

Like a grandma with a lot of tales from the past to tell. And sickeningly sweet tea aside, the cake she baked later was pretty good.

"Hmmm, i see. Please tell me if you find anything strange."

Daniela moved to get up from her seat. Their secret meeting was probably at its end already.

"Oh, and, on an unrelated note." - She stopped in the middle of her movement and looked towards Dailah again - "Mariane was looking for you yesterday when you were out. You should go see her in her office."

Hopefully, it's not more errands.

XXX

It was another errand.

Thankfully this one wasn't as dubious, just look after Mariane's nephew, Logos, on the weekend. She had promised to take him out then, but thanks to the Rat Lord incident she's busy now. Babysitting a cute timid boy certainly wasn't something Dailah would find bothersome, there were people back in her village who would gladly break some noses just to take her place.

With that out of the way, she was free for the time being. Since she's already in the Association, might as well try and find a comfortable place to read.

Or so was the plan at first.

The girl spotted a familiar face in the distance, all by her lonesome self under the shade of a tree. It could be called a big coincidence, but it's true she was passing through the high school area.

Although Dailah knew Mimi went to a school for young witches, she didn't know it was one located within the complex. It only makes sense if she thinks about it though. She decided to go greet the girl with a light wave but... once Mimi noticed her approaching, the teen's whole body stiffened.

"Good afternoon Ms. Mimi."

"Ah... g-greetings."

The girl spoke with a tiny voice while avoiding Dailah's eyes. Maybe she should've left her be after all, but it's too late now.

Looking at her hands, she noticed a book on doll sewing. Right, it was something this one had an interest in. Which reminds her...

"Say Ms. Mimi, do you know about 'The Great Doll Mausoleum'?"

"H-huh...?"

"Oh, sorry, it'd be strange to just say that all of a sudden... it's a place where the owner puts the dolls she makes on display. I thought it was quite amazing when i saw it."

"I... that does sound like a nice place, i think."

You don't sound too excited though. Maybe she's being too forward with this timid girl?

"If your classes are out, i can take you there. We can go home afterward."

Dailah did have second intentions in inviting her out. She liked the exhibitions and she had been wanting to go back there again since the last time she had her mind full with the job, but if she tried going alone there was a good chance Mrs. Elah would just try to chat with her all the while. With a second person on board, the old lady could be kept occupied.

...putting it that way, isn't she just planning to bully Mimi? The girl was even stiffer now than she was before too, maybe she didn't expect to be invited out so casually like this.

"Eh... ah. I-i... that, i..."

Her complexion gradually got paler. The more she stutters, the more self-conscious she becomes in a cursed spiral. But as wise women always say, if one cannot make decisions in a timely fashion, life will decide for you.

"Let's go. I buy you some dinner too."

"Ah! I... ok."

Unable to resist, Mimi ended up agreeing to go along with her.

The two walked in silence through the complex, the younger girl always a few steps behind. Dailah would occasionally check on her just to confirm she didn't decide to run away on a whim. Not that she'd mind though.

"..."

"..."

...in truth, there was a bit more to this trip than just having her act as a distraction.

"...a crowley... i never rode one." - She said hesitantly.

"Just hop in. He won't beak you."

She got up the bird carefully, trying very hard not to grab on his feathers, probably afraid to upset the creature. Not that he would be hurt by that much.

Dailah followed suit after making sure Mimi was seated properly, finally prompting Mr. Crowley to set out. Hopefully, she could get to know Mimi a bit better during this outing.

What did she know about this girl? Firstly she was the granddaughter of her landlady Mima, and the old woman really wanted her to be more sociable. In fact, there were plenty of occasions when she nagged Dailah to make friends with her.

Secondly, and most importantly, she was really good with puppeteering magic. Even mid-rank witches didn't usually have the amount of control she displayed on that evening in the kitchen.

"Maybe?" Dailah thought, terrifying memories of a great rodent commandeering an army of its lessers, as well as a painting of a white-horned witch surrounded by her owl children, all swirling around inside her head.

One could also say this person, this little girl who barely entered puberty, was the main catalyst behind Dailah's involvement in the last operation.

It couldn't even be called a suspicion, nor a hunch, and Mimi certainly looked nothing like the lady that kidnapped her either. This was more akin to a small-time paranoia. The landlady also seemed like a good person, and she didn't want to suspect her close family of anything devious.

Still, it would cost nothing to make sure correct? No problem getting acquainted with an apartment mate either. It should even make Mima happy.

Despite being nervous throughout the entire ride - due to being her first time in a crowley or due to awkwardness, Dailah does not know - Mimi's eyes shone once she got inside the Mausoleum.

"Welcome again Ms. Dailah. I see you brought a friend."

"Yes. And she's *very* interested in doll-making you see."

"Huh....?"

Elah's eyes burned with a strange light as they narrowed ever so slightly.

"Is that so? Hoh, hoh! Would you like to see my sewing machines, young miss?"

"Erm... uh. Yeas please?"

Just like that, Mimi got dragged somewhere out of sight in a scene that evoked a slight sense of deja vu, leaving her alone with the dolls.

"......"

She seemed no different from a normal timid girl.

"..."

Dailah felt many eyes on her at that moment. Some were made out of buttons, others out of cheap jewelry, too many without any proper peepers at all.

"...don't look at me like that."

Why do they judge her? Or perhaps this is their favored way of mockery?

She's done nothing to be ashamed of.

Nothing at all.

"...fine."

Relenting, she followed in the direction the two disappeared to.

At the very least she could learn about her hobbies a little bit.

0