❈ Chapter 15.1 ❈
488 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Points. They were the fundamental ‘currency’ of Cheiss Academy. Being self-sufficient, the academy had a wide variety of shops, stands and stores which students could buy from using points. Valuable items like weapons, potions and useful magitech tools were bought on a daily basis. No student could walk through 6 years of life in Cheiss Academy without buying at least once from the Central City.

      It was a city based around the Central Spire, packed full of goods and priceless objects. Even instructors frequented around this area as they too could use points. However, Cordelia had no points. They were docked by Kaine as soon as she entered the academy as punishment for bringing Chloe with her during the practical exam. It was a lenient punishment but a punishment nevertheless.

      She learnt the importance of Points when she was instructed to buy some textbooks for her next Maths lesson, realising that she had no points to do so. Asking the others to buy it for her would be distasteful and in the first place, Cordelia disliked the idea of holding debt to another.

      There were a few ways to obtain Points and the easiest way was to complete Missions from the Central Spire. Located near the bottom, Missions were handed out in the Task Lobby by receptionists and once completed, could be turned in for Points.

      Most of the time, these Missions comprised of simple odd jobs around the city, helping residents and such. The academy indulged these simple Missions because it would help teach the students modesty and humility, not allowing them to become arrogant. In fact, a student’s revenue of Points came mostly from low-tier Missions.

      This was because the availability of more rewarding Missions was low. Cheiss Academy was constantly on the move, unable to stay in one place unless there were special circumstances. When the behemoth of a floating island passes over land, Missions for that specific land will begin to pop up. For example, if it passed over the Fiery Wasteland in the south of the Wanae Continent, Missions for killing juvenile Salamanders and Fire Spirits would appear in the Task Lobby. At most, these would stay for a few days before the academy moved on to another area.

      “You have no Points?”

Ichika had been ceaselessly badgering Cordelia about her problems; the former could detect her roommate’s sour mood even though nothing seemed to be different about her at first glance. But Ichika had been trained in this sort of thing; even Cordelia, the unyielding ice block, could not hide from her sharp eyes. Therefore, she just gave up and told Ichika about her issue.

      The eastern girl clapped her hands together gently, a pink and flowery aura radiating off of her.

“I need Points too! Why don’t we complete some Missions together with my servant and I?”

Initially, Cordelia wanted to do so with Kuro helping her but she knew that 2 was better than 1. Besides, she could sense that Ichika was strong. 

      “Kuro.”

The maid, who had been sitting and relaxing at her mistress’ command, stood up suddenly ramrod-straight.

“Yes, Miss?”

“Fetch a Mission which the 4 of us can complete.”

Her words were very vague but Kuro already knew what her mistress’ requirements were, having listened on their conversation.

      She withdrew from the room, leaving Ichika and Cordelia to talk. Staring at the door, Ichika opened her mouth.

“She’s your servant?”

Cordelia didn’t stop reading her book.

“Yes.”

“She’s very… strong.”

Her conversation partner didn’t answer.

❈ ❈ ❈

2nd of May, the Year 1202
9:59
Cheiss Academy, Exit Port 9

 

My supplies are already running out. To think that my lack of Points would be this impactful. Her provisions which she had brought along with her were running scarce; things like her whetstones, conditioner and class equipment were wearing down. Food and water were provided for free, surprisingly, though you had to spend Points if you wanted more than the provided amount. The academy wanted to make sure all students were fully satiated and at full strength for all lessons.

      “You’ve come!”

Cordelia looked up from the ground to see Ichika who was smiling brightly, a refined elderly man by her side. 

“Yes. Good morning to you, Hideyoshi-san.”

Donning a butler’s outfit, he was the very picture of an old, loyal servant. Neat tufts of white hair covered his head as the man surveyed his mistress’ acquaintances. As her butler, it was his, Tian’s, job to keep her safe.

      “Cordelia’s really punctual and formal, hm? You can just call me Ichika.”

As Ichika said so, the clocktower began to ring, as if announcing Cordelia’s very timely arrival. Kuro docilely stood behind her, eyes closed (not that she needed her eyes) and seemingly unaware of her surroundings. However, she was constantly on guard, even in the academy. There really was no saying what could happen. 

      Cheiss Academy would stop in the air over land at times to give students a chance to complete Missions. At rare times, it would land for fixes and maintenance, as well as saving mana. Today was just like any other day; students were directed to these Exit Ports which were located in facilities dotted all over the academy. Used to transport people down from the floating island, they were numerous to accommodate the large population.

      “I see. May I know this gentleman’s name?”

Not really bothered to insist on such a trivial matter, Cordelia blandly accepted her proposal and moved on.

“He’s my butler and servant, Tian. I’ve already met your maid, Kuro-san, but I should introduce the two of you. Tian, this is Kuro-san. Kuro-san, this is Tian. She’s from the Penoic Continent like us! Isn’t that great? I hope we all get along together.”

      Her cultivated air began to slip off, revealing a girl who was somewhat airheaded and bubbly. She was similar to Mareike in ways, Cordelia admitted but was also fundamentally different. Why?

“Are you ready, Cordelia, Kuro-san?”

It’s because she’s just a better actress. It took a while for Cordelia to notice. The artificiality of her smile, gestures and movements had revealed themselves to her over time. But she didn’t mind. Her judgement had concluded that the girl had no serious ulterior motives that would be cause for concern. Instead, she would play the same game as her. After all, they had been raised in the same environment.

      “Of course. Shall we depart?”

“Mn!”

Letting out students was a big risk for the academy. It was constantly targeted by enemies and beasts alike so students may get caught in the crossfire. To make things worse, there were also moles and spies hidden in the student body which could possibly contact their superiors when outside. This was why the monitoring of them when on outside Missions was strict and heavily enforced. Taking off the tracker could warrant expulsion of the reason was too frivolous. 

      When one accepts an outside Mission, they were given a permit for the Exit Ports which, when scanned, would be registered on the system as ‘Absent’. If the student were to stay absent for too long, instructors would be sent out. This was how serious it could be.

      Handing the permit to the guard, the four entered the building before being guided to a hall filled with magitech and runes. It wasn't too optimised yet as the technology was relatively new, so the process took a long time. Their guide began casting spells and pressing buttons before a large hole in the ground opened up, revealing the greenery below.

      Suspended over a forest so far-reaching that only trees could be seen with the naked eye, Cordelia and co. were tasked with bringing down 5 Rainbow Chameleons. They were neutral towards humans but could become extremely defensive and hostile if attacked, relying on their incredible cloaking abilities to pick off their foes. 

      This was the reason why they were so sought after as their skin could be used in research for invisibility magitech. 

“Good luck out there.”

Leaving them with those parting words, Cordelia glanced from the man’s back to the circular hole before her. She was instructed to simply jump. Just jump. That was it.

      Ichika was also slightly sceptical of the process, her servant even more so. That was until Cordelia took the first leap of faith, her body slowing down considerably as soon as she hit the air. It was too much deceleration for it to be just air-resistance so that meant that the Exit Port had some kind of mysterious method to keep one from falling to their death. Everyone else leapt, following the girl.

❈ ❈ ❈

I feel like this chapter was full of excessive exposition. In a way, this is a filler chapter. Not much going on here.

      Feel free to point out any mistakes I made and have a nice day!

7