Lady Eleanor [3]
113 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A span of six hours had come and gone, the late hours of the night casting a somber ambiance within Eleanor's chamber. Robin, having arrived, took a seat across from her, concern etched upon her face.

"Pray, enlighten me on what transpired," Robin inquired, her voice laced with worry.

And so, Eleanor began recounting her harrowing ordeal. "I found meself in the clutches of a band of miscreants whilst traversing the town's darkened alleys. They snatched me away, their intentions nefarious."

Robin's brows furrowed in concern as she asked, "Art thou unscathed? Pray, tell me thou art unharmed."

A glimmer of hope danced in Eleanor's eyes as she replied, "I am more than unharmed, dear Robin. I encountered someone extraordinary."

Curiosity piqued, Robin pressed further, "Pray tell, who might this person be?"

With a smile that held a hint of mischief, Eleanor rose from her seat, placing a crimson pouch upon the table before reclaiming her place. "I found myself sold into servitude to a man and woman, who, surprisingly, became my saviors. They purchased me and granted me the freedom to return home. As a token of gratitude, I intend to present them this pouch come morn."

Robin untied the pouch, her eyes widening as she beheld the gleaming gold coins. Being of noble birth herself, she understood the low value of such a sum. 

Tying it back up, she remarked, "Thou art fortunate to have crossed paths with such noble souls. Pray, dost thou possess any knowledge of their identities? I find myself intrigued."

Eleanor's enthusiasm was palpable as she shared, "Indeed, prepare thyself. The man Jack, a fearsome pirate, and the woman, Mary his loyal comrade. My love for pirates has grown tenfold, for they have proven themselves to be exceptional."

Robin's countenance contorted, her words laden with caution. "Ely, thou knowest of my brother's position as a navy commander. He regales me with tales of various pirates, none of which depict them in a favorable light. The stories speak of rape, plundering, murder, and the wanton destruction of villages. I beseech thee, reconsider thy decision to deliver the pouch. One cannot be certain of their true intentions."

Unswayed by Robin's counsel, Eleanor declared, "Nay. Jack and Mary are unlike any other."

Robin, her gaze drifting momentarily, met Eleanor's eyes once more. "Wait. Captain Jack Thunder and Mary Grace!?"

Eleanor's surprise was evident as she queried, "You know them?"

In a hushed tone, Robin revealed, "Yes, my brother informed me of their audacious infiltration into the navy's dungeon, where they were eventually apprehended."

Rising abruptly from her seat, Eleanor's voice trembled with a mix of astonishment and sorrow. "Nay, it cannot be."

Robin proceeded to elaborate, "On their path to the dungeon, they incapacitated two guards, slaying three others. They released the prisoners, who in turn dispatched one more guard. Once they reached the lowest depths of the dungeon, they engaged in a deadly confrontation with a higher-ranking officer, ultimately taking his life. Their execution is scheduled for the morrow, a public spectacle."

Slowly lowering herself back into the chair, Eleanor uttered, "I care not for their misdeeds. I yearn to aid them. They saved me."

Robin, her tone laced with reason, attempted to dissuade her friend. "I implore thee, Ely, think not of intervening. The task of freeing someone from the clutches of a dungeon is nigh impossible. Even if thou were to succeed, it would not go unnoticed. The authorities would surely discover thy involvement, and thou would face the gallows alongside them," Robin logically explained in an effort to dissuade her determined friend.

After a moment of contemplative silence, Eleanor spoke, her voice filled with resolve. "Robin, I understand the enormity of this request, but I beseech thee, canst thou lend me thy aid?"

Robin let out a deep sigh, realizing that changing Eleanor's mind was futile. "I suppose there is no altering thy course. If thou art determined to proceed, then I shall stand by thy side, come what may."

The two friends engaged in an intense discussion, spending a good half-hour meticulously crafting a plan to liberate Captain Jack Thunder and Mary Grace from the depths of the impregnable dungeon. 

Eleanor proposed enlisting the aid of a secretive underground network of pirates, who would execute the rescue operation, while concealing their identities behind robes and masks, thus ensuring minimal risk of exposure.

Robin, ever the attntive listener, carefully considered the plan and its feasibility. With a hint of concern, she responded, "Ely, I fear this endeavor may prove impossible. The Navy, aware of their previous near-successful escape, has bolstered security measures. The dungeon is likely transformed into an impenetrable fortress, guarded by an increased number of personnel, including two to three high-ranking officers."

A sense of disappointment washed over Eleanor as she contemplated the setback. "Surely, there must be a way. What if we were to hire a larger group of individuals? Twenty, perhaps?"

Robin contemplated the suggestion, her expression grave. "Regrettably, even with such numbers, the risk of detection would be heightened. It would inevitably draw attention from additional guards, resulting in a swarm of adversaries overpowering your hired men. Moreover, I have a personal aversion to unnecessary bloodshed. Some of the guards serving in the Navy are friends of my brother, and the thought of their demise weighs heavily on my heart."

Resting her elbow on the table, Eleanor sighed in frustration. "I confess, I am not adept at devising such intricate plans. Might you be able to offer an alternative strategy? I too agree that minimizing casualties should be our utmost priority."

Robin, determined to assist her friend, nodded resolutely. "Very well, Ely. I shall do my utmost to formulate a plan that aligns with our shared goal of preserving life and achieving success."

1