Chapter 2: Is it his imagination?
71 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ryan? A good name..."

Oh, she just brought her eyes down to read his name. Ryan felt shame…

"Thank you..."

"I am." The mother was about to say more when someone called him.

"I got to go; if you need any help, let us know."

If it's just a few times he wouldn't have thought much of it, but for the rest of the day, people of all kinds treated him nicely, or at least tried to talk and treat him with politeness he didn't know customers had, where usually, people just ignore his presence as some slave they can order around.

Eventually, the day ended, and like usual, he was exhausted as he tried to wonder what was going on with everyone today.

'Is it National Be Nice to People day? '

"See you tomorrow!"

"See you"

Just as he was packing, Joseph came to him and said, “The boss wants to talk to you."

"What about?"

Joseph simply shrugged and said, "I don't know. Anyway, see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

Ryan then headed to where her office was and knocked on the door.

"Come in..."

Ryan got inside, and there, in the same clothes, she sat, working on some documents.

"Sit down.."

She said, the tone of her voice showing her experience in life.

Ryan sat down, a bit tense, wondering why he was called.

Jean settled down her paperwork and looked at him.

For a few seconds, nobody said a word, just as he was going to say something.

"Good job today; I saw how you mingled and treated the customers and how they treated you..."

"Ah, thank you..."

"Keep it up, and you might become an employee of the month."

Ryan did his best to not show anything on his smile as he said, “Thank you."

'Like hell I want to be an employee of the month. Well, if it can get closer to you, why not? '

Ryan then did his best to stop any pervert thoughts he had fantasized about his boss that he only dared to think alone at night.

Again, silence ensued. And before he could say anything else,.

"You’re good at art, I heard?"

He was taken aback by this question, but still, he said, “I'd like to think I'm great at it."

"Mmmm..." She simply nodded and became lost in thought.

'Does she want to commission me? ' He wondered.

"I'd like you to tutor my son. He's becoming interested in it, and I don't want him to change interest so soon, not until he becomes good at it at least."

"Ahh.."

'That's what it's about? ' he thought. As for the offer, he wouldn't deny the chance to earn money, especially in teaching his passion.

"If it fits with my schedule, I am willing to take it."

"Are you free on the weekends?"

"Yes, I am."

"Great! You can..." They then talked about the details, agreeing on the time and pay for his services.

He gulped at the thought that he might be spending some time at her place.

And again, he wondered what was going on with everyone today as he left the office.

When he got home, he settled for a short nap before having dinner and working on his commission.

"Hmm?" he groaned as he heard some faint shouting.

'I told you, it's the truth! '

'I've seen it with my eyes! '

"Hmm, it's them again," Ryan mumbled as he heard the shouting in the apartment next to him. Sometimes he wondered who the dumbass was who designed the apartment for putting a studio apartment next to a family apartment.

Suddenly he heard something breaking, and he promptly stood up as he went outside his apartment.

Outside, a middle-aged man burst out of the apartment next door leaving the door open as he stormed off.

Concerned, Ryan checked inside the apartment, and inside he saw Mrs. Adler sitting on the floor crying with a broken vase to her side.

"Mrs Adler!"

He instinctively headed inside and closer to her, observing if she had any wounds.

"Are you all right? Are you hurt?"

Mrs. Adler sobbed and sniffed for a few moments before she answered. "I'm all right"

She looked up at him, and Ryan saw her eyes red and puffy.

And just as he was about to say something...

"Mum...."

This startled Mrs. Adler, and he immediately stood up.

"Oh dear, come on now get back to bed."

"It's still early, and where's Daddy?"

"He just went to buy something. Umm…"

Mrs. Adler then turned towards him and said shyly, “Can I ask you to clean the floor, Ryan?"

"Oh, of course."

"Thank.. you.."

She then pushed her two children to their beds as Ryan cleaned up the mess.

Soon after, it was fully cleaned. Mrs. Adler appeared.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry for having you cleaned it up."

"No, it's okay Mrs. Adler."

Ryan wanted to ask her again if she was okay, but somehow he thought that was a stupid question. Of course she isn't okay.

"Er, ah," Ryan was about to say something.

When Mrs. Adler cut him off,.

"Have you had dinner?"

Ryan appreciated the offer but was about to deny her offer when his stomach betrayed him.

Mrs. Adler chuckled at this and headed into the kitchen.

"Come, I won't let my good young helper go without filling his stomach."

He soon found himself sitting at the dining table as Mrs. Adler handed him food.

And she sat across from him.

"Thank you for the food, Mrs. Adler."

"No, it's no big deal," she tried to chuckle, but her laugh came a bit dry and hollow.

Again, Ryan wanted to ask her if everything was all right when it wasn't, but he had no idea what to say as they just sat there in silence while he ate.

"Umm, this food is really good; as always, you're a great cook, Mrs. Adler."

He complimented the food, and he wasn't lying; from time to time, she would bring him homemade food which he dearly loved, as he sucked at cooking and was tired of premade food.

His compliment got a chuckle from Mrs. Adler, and this time it seemed genuine, and Ryan responded with his smile.

"Oh you~ save your words for younger maidens."

"Hmm?"

Comment for any grammatical errors as it will help me greatly.

Thank you and hope you enjoyed the chapter!

 

1