Chapter 25
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finding an alcove to hide in was surprisingly easy. Eileen knew that she needed to be quick if she wanted to remain unnoticed. Ideally she would have liked to have been able to do this in her car, but they came via the Westfords’ carriage to keep up appearances. And because Ayla’s mother insisted.

It seemed a little odd to her all things considered, however if they were to keep up appearances. Ideally. She supposed it would have been best of Ayla’s parents would have known the truth and known why this was slightly impractical, but circumstances made that unfeasible.

Eileen sighed as she put her arms through the arms of the red ballgown, stuffing the suit into the space ringArenhad got her for her last birthday. Getting the matching ruby studded gold heels on is slightly more difficult. But also a welcome distraction from the nerves crawling their way to the surface.

Unease twists and writhes in her stomach as a flash of the earlier scene goes through her mind. She grits her teeth. A part of her had wanted to punch the man in the face, all pretences forgotten. Yet, the need to keep up appearances held her back.

Eileen Devencrux, granddaughter of the Great General might be able to get away from using violence to deal with problems, but that wasn’t who she was to these people. And there was a great chance it may never be. Instead, she was Kiran Knightwood, a calm and collected minor member of foreign nobility.

Her lips pressed into a thin line even as she accepted the fact. Knowing it didn’t make the yearning of blood underneath her skin subside.

For name or not, in her heart of hearts, she knew she was very much her grandpa’s granddaughter. And if there was anything neither of them could stand, it was someone threatening the people they loved. She knew he would have punched that man consequences be damned if he’d scene him leering at Ayla.

Or anyone for that matter. Such behaviour would not be tolerated by anyone in Grandpa’s troops.

Having switched into female clothes, Eileen took a moment to readjust her mind as well. To switch from Kiran to Lenora, was like switching from night to day. As she walked back into the ballroom, she made sure to readjust her steps to smaller ones, holding herself in a more dainty manner.

A large grin bloomed on her face as she made a show of looking around the room with wide eyes. The awe in them was only partially an act. She hadn’t had a chance to fully appreciate the intricacy of the decor.

With wreaths of gold and roses scattered tastefully around the room, not to mention the towering marble statue in the centre, it was beautiful. The marble was sculpted to replicate the image of an angel. Eileen had to pause to admire the intricacy.

Her fingertips brushed the air in front of it, fingertips tracing the lines carving the intricate feathers of the wings. It was magnificent. She internally sighed. As obnoxious as the fool was, it seemed his family had good taste.

As if summoned by her thoughts, she heard his voice ring out behind her.

“What do you mean he’s gone!? Where thehellscould he have gone?”

“The trail was a dead end sir.” A lanky man with stern features answered, turning to his partner. “Wills and I searched the grounds but there is no sign of him.”

“I bet you incompetent fools let him out of your sights!” The pompous moron huffed. “Can’t you do anything right?”

Eileen internally grimaced, as she tried to make it seem like she wasn’t watching through the corner of her eye. She turned her gaze back to the marble in the off chance any of the loud men would turn towards her. Her fingertips absently followed the arch of the angel’s wing.

“We followed ’imout the door like you said, but it’s like he vanished into thin air.” The man she assumed was Will seemed like he was used to such outbursts from his employer.”

“Unbelievable!” Prince huffed, “I suppose I’ll have to do everything on my own!”

“Sir! Sir, where are you going?”

“It’s not safe out there this late!”

“I am not a child!” Eileen had to suppress the laugh that wanted to escape at his tone. Petulant and contradicting the point.

“Yes, but…”

As the voices trailed away, Eileen shook her head and looked up to admire the statue again. The man it portrayed had curly hair and was covered by a sheet that hid his genitals and part of his upper body. it curled around him, stopping as it met the arch of his right wing.

The statues face was etched into a proud smile as the angel’s stone eyes surveyed the inhabitants of the room. Somehow the sculptor had managed to make it look gentle and nonthreatening. It made her return the smile.

A clang from nearby broke the spell and Eileen was left feeling a little guilty. How could she have forgotten why she had wanted to rush in the first place. Eileen immediately turned and searched for Ayla.

A sigh relief left her as she saw her safe and right where she’d left her. Good. There was very little chance anyone would try something if she was with a crowd. It would be too noticeable.

Eileen’s gaze wandered as she made her way to Ayla, frowning as she saw Nathaniel Prince speaking in a rushed manner. He was throwing his hands up in the air and pointing towards the door. Ah.

Come to think of it, why did he think chasing people down was a good idea? Surely someone who was brought up this close to the heart ofTeodesshould no better. If Eileen were more nosy and less busy, she would be concerned for his family’s future.

As it was, she was neither of those things. Even without the added responsibilities. Letting her gaze linger a second longer on the commotion, she found it didn’t look like it might get out of hand. Good.

However what her eyes found next was certainly not good.

Eileen wanted to curse aloud. Hadn’t the old man learnt his lesson? She had thought that being told off would at least deter Holloway from repeating the behaviour for the night, but the man just didn’t learn.

She smothered a huff, lips briefly pressing into a line as she took in his overly familiar manner. His son, she believed his name was Oliver, was trying to get his father to step away by tugging at his arm, but he shook it off. A frustrated sound almost left her mouth.

Was he blind or just delusional? The girl looked like she’d rather be anywhere but there, the strained smile on her face proof of it. Eileen had no doubt that the only reason she hadn’t run away yet was the apologetic looks Oliver was shooting over his father’s shoulder.

There had never been a time where Eileen had considered getting older would make one go senile than this moment. Her grandfather and his friends always seemed sharp, so she hadn’t given credence to Damien’s words. Yet seeing Holloway’s behaviour made her feel it wasn’t so much of a lie.

Or perhaps it was just the man himself.

Whichever may be the case, her footsteps guided her towards them even before she had decided she wanted to interfere. Their voices became clear soon enough.

“A beautiful woman shouldn’t be all alone on this-”

“Father!” Oliver protested, “We really should be going. Didn’t you have that pile of paperwork to go through.” He mouthed an apology over his father’s shoulder as he tugged him gently into standing position.

“It can wait.” Holloway replied dismissively, “Right now…Right now I want to…Get to know this woman better.”

The younger Holloway looked just as annoyed by his father’s inability to back off as Eileen felt. The young lady, who’s name Eileen had yet to learn, was looking more uncomfortable the longer the man lingered.

“Miss Primrose. Rosaline. It would please me if you would accompany me for a dance.” Holloway smiled imploringly, completely ignoring both his son’s attempts to pull him away and the young lady’s discomfort.

“I…” The girl cleared her throat, “I am…flattered at the offer, but I must decline. ” Her smile was noticeably strained now.

“Why ever would you do that?” His brows furrowed before his face once again took on a flirty expression. “I promise I won’t step on your toes.”

Gods this man was pushy. And when he went to take her hand to emphasise the point, Eileen was glad to finally be within touching distance from them. All his fingers touched were air as she promptly pulled the girl towards her.

“Rosie! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” She engulfed her in a hug, one that moved them further away from the men.

Eileen could feel the girl stiffening for a moment, but luckily she was smart enough to catch on and didn’t take long to return the hug. She was pleased to not thatRosalinePrimrose relaxed under her embrace.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were looking for me.”

“Really?” She pulled back and tilted her head questioningly, eyes wide. “I thought you knew.” Eileen made herself pout before brightening and shooting the girl a smile. “You’ll just have to make up for it next time!”

Rosalinesmiled, huffing a laugh. “I’ll be sure too.” She didn’t sound as uncomfortable as she had when speaking to Holloway. Good. Now.

“What are you doing with these men?” Eileen questioned, face scrunching up as she glanced at them over her shoulder.

“Well-”

“I should be asking you that young lady.” Holloway cut in before Rosaline could reply. His eyes gave her a once over and Eileen felt annoyance build as she realised she may have become his new target.

She supposed that wearing a veil to cover the lower parts of her face didn’t do much too help the situation. The makeup the troops used for disguises was usually enough to go unrecognised, but it was safer this way. Although she supposed it would draw some attention.

“You don’t know who I am?” She made sure to make her voice sound as confused as possible, whilst also moving to subtly stand in front of Rosaline.

“No.”

“Really?” She blinked at him owlishly. “That’s silly.”

“I ask again, who are you?” Holloway sounded slightly annoyed at being interrupted.

“I see.” Eileen nodded sagely, “I knew I was missing something.” She gave them a grin before turning to Rosaline. “I think I heard your mother calling earlier.”

When she hesitated, Eileen gave her a reassuring smile and pulled her into another embrace. She made sure she couldn’t be overheard as she whispered into her ear. “I’ll be fine, don’t worry. Just go.”

The hesitation lingered a moment longer but she could feel the moment the girl decided to give in. She sighed and returned the embrace. “Thank you,” she whispered as she pulled back from the embrace and wandered off.

“Aren’t you going to answer?” Was that annoyance she sensed in his voice. Had it grown in the few seconds it had taken to send Rosaline on her way.

“Answer what?” She tilted her head questioningly.

“What is your name?” Yes. It had grown.

Still…“Why do you need my name?”

“It is the polite thing to do.” Eileen almost wanted to laugh at the irony in that statement.

“Really?” She blinked at him owlishly, “Who decided that?”

“How would I know?” The man scowled, struggling to keep up the act as he had with Ayla andRosaline. He was probably not used to someone simultaneously talking back to him and avoiding his questions.

Eileen knew the type.

“Then how can you know it is the polite thing to do?”

“It just is!” The heightened volume of his made some heads turn. His son seemed stunned as well. He seemed to realise a second later and coughed into his hand, awkwardly avoiding the stares.

“Why?” She asked, ignoring the stares. If she wasn’t mistaken, there was a hint of amusement in his son’s eyes.

“Because it is.” The frustration in his tone could no longer be contained, colouring his every word.

“That’s a stupid reason.”

“Your name young lady.” He gritted the words out, having given up all pretences of politeness altogether and demanding.

“What about it?” She knew that goading him this way was probably not wise, but she refused to be cowed by this man. People like that tended to take any inch you gave them and push for more. If he wanted to know her name, he’d have to work for it.

“What. Is. Your. Name.”

“Are you asking or telling?” This was a little fun. She heard a snorted laugh behind him as he scowled at her at the answer. Which made him turn and direct the glare at his son.

Oliver coughed into his hand. “I think my father is asking you for an introduction, Miss.” Then, he bowed slightly and offer her his hand. “But he forgets to do the same.” He gave her a smile. “Oliver Holloway, pleased to make your acquaintance.”

“Oh! Why didn’t you say so?” Feeling petty, Eileen took his hand, “Lenora Divine.” She gave him a grin as she shook it.

“Well, Miss Divine. It was not polite to interrupt a conversation.” Holloway didn’t wait long to voice his frustration.

“What conversation?”

She could almost see the nerve popping in his forehead. “The one I was having with Miss Primrose.”

Eileen pouted. “But Rosie didn’t look too good! My Mama says that it’s rude to let your friends be if they look sick.”

“She wasn’t-”

“Besides, why does it bother you so much?” Eileen tilted her head, giving him a once over. “Didn’t your mama tell you the same?”

“Well, I never-”

“That’s okay! I’m sure you can learn now!” She shot him a wide grin patting at the back of his hand. “I know people say that once you get old enough to be a grandparent, you can’t learn anything new, but that’s not true. I’m sure you can-Hey! Where are you going?”

Eileen blinked as the man simply walked away in the middle of the conversation. Internally, she wanted to laugh at the sight of him fuming as he finally walked over to his wife. She turned her head towards Oliver.

“Did I say something wrong?”

He grinned. “Not at all. I must go now, but I really do hope we get to meet again.”

“Likewise.” A smile of her own pulled at her lips as she watched him depart.

It was almost impressive he could grow up to be so normal with a father like that. She supposed it may have very little to do with Garfield and a lot to do with his mother. Who by the looks of it was already in the process of giving her husband a stern talking to.

Good woman. She doubted it was the first time and admired her tenacity in continuing to reprimand him even when it was clear none of it was sinking in. A part of her wondered how they had even got married with him being like that. But she shook it off. It wasn’t her business.

“That was impressive.” A voice behind her broke her from her thoughts immediately and she internally cursed herself for getting caught off-guard.

Turning, she came face to face with Raiden Redthorn and his amused grey eyes. He was wearing a form-fitting blue suit but stood in a relaxed stance as he looked at her. He looked good. But she was still a tad annoyed at him for being the reason she had to switch personas.

“What was impressive?” Eileen said in a wistful manner, tilting her head to emphasise her confusion.

Raiden gave her a searching look and then shook his head. “It’s nothing. Never mind.”

“Okay!” She grinned, “do you want to go find Ayla?”

He returned the smile, shaking his head. “Lead the way.”

0