Chapter 26
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raiden was disappointed to learn that he’d arrived too late to see Kiran. A hint of frustration dwelled in him that he hadn’t even considered the possibility that he might accompany Ayla Westford to the party. So, it had stopped him in his tracks when he’d overheard the party goers discussing him as he walked past.

Internally, cursing at his awful luck, he’d almost allowed it colour his experiences of he party. Almost. It had taken one glance towards the side for his contemplation of going off and searching for the man to disappear. Instead, a pang of unease took its place.

Lenora Divine was speaking to the most questionable man he’d ever had the displeasure of meeting. And it was not an experience he ever wanted to revisit. Even if he only did so in his thoughts.

Knowing his reputation, Raiden had wandered up to the boundary of their conversation. He’d intended to rescue her from Holloway’s presence only to soon realise she didn’t need rescuing. So, he’d simply stayed in place and listened.

Although, he’d freely admit it was partially due to lingering unease that something may suddenly change. He didn’t think the man was the sort to attack women, but the way his face was reddening and the scowl on his face told a different story. Better to be safe than regret it later.

A grin spread on his face as he watched Lenora dodge the man’s questions and rile him up. He had to lift a hand to cover the snort that left him when the man ran off. It seemed her…unique personality had its perks.

Walking away from the scene, his eyes can’t help but linger on the small of her back. Not that she was particularly petite or anything of the sort. In fact, she was almost as tall as he was. Although that may have had something to do with the heels she was wearing.

His thoughts ran rampant, confusion interlacing with amusement. He didn’t quite understand why, but he felt like it reminded him of something. But what…

“Redthorn!” AylaWestfordran up to them as soon as she caught sight of them. “What took you so long?”

Raiden huffed a laugh. “I would have been here sooner, but we had a bit of an hiccup.”

“A hiccup?”

“Yes. I found her speaking to Garfield Holloway.” As soon as the words left his mouth, he saw her flinch and concern overtook the amusement. “What happened?”

“Nothing.”

He hesitated. Would it be the right decision to press her on the details if she didn’t want to share them? He wasn’t sure. However, the pit of unease growing in his stomach wouldn’t let him rest unless he did.

“Did Holloway do something?” Raiden hoped his expression would convey his concern. Now that he was looking more closely, she did seem a little pale. He’d thought it was simply due to the contrast with Lenora’s lightly tanned skin, but he now suspected that wasn’t the case.

Some of that concern must have shown through because her expression softened. And he pretended not to see her taking a glance at Lenora before answering. Although it didn’t bode well that she felt the need to seek reassurance. It certainly didn’t make the dread grow any less.

“It’s not…” She sighed. “He didn’t really do anything. But he…He made comments that weren’t really…And i would have punched him if Kiran hadn’t shown up in time…He was just a little pushy. I don’t even know why I’m reacting this way now. Maybe I’m over-”

“No.” He cut that thread of conversation off immediately, echoed by the whimsical voice beside him.

Lenora moved forward and took her hands in her own, rubbing soothing circles on the back of them. “It’s not an overreaction. Whatever you feel is valid.”

“I agree.” Raiden pitched in before Ayla could deny the words. “If you felt uncomfortable, then he was in the wrong. Plain and simple.”

In fact, a part of him wanted to go and punch the man. It would likely do no good as his combat skills were average at best. Nevertheless, he felt compelled to do so anyway. Surely he’d be able to get the punch in if the man was taken off-guard?

“You don’t think it’s just me over-reacting?”

“Of course not.” Lenora scoffed as she gave Ayla a disgruntled look. Her tone made it seem like she wanted to rush off and punch the man as well. The thought was amusing. What could she do?

Yet, he could understand why she wold want to. Especially after seeing the way Ayla had been forcing a smile as she’d repeated what the problem was. Gods.

“He truly is an capital ass isn’t he?” He didn’t realise he’d spoken the words aloud until he heard a snorted laugh beside him. They were both looking at him now. And Ayla was now wearing a more genuine smile.

The mood lost its sombreness and Raiden was in no hurry to reclaim it. Especially since he’d never really been good with these situations to begin with. He simply did not know what the correct response would be.

“Yes he is.” Ayla’s eyes sparkled with mirth.

Raiden grinned, the faint sound of music starting to play in the background giving him an idea. “Well then, I’d argue there’s no need to dwell on it.” He held out a hand. “How about a dance instead?”

“And if I step on your feet?”

He had to struggle not to let his grin widen as he let out a exaggerated sigh. “I suppose I’ll simply have to bear it.”

She snorted a laugh. “It will be your own fault.”

“And I’ll gladly suffer the consequences of it another day,” he teased. “Today we dance.”

“Yes we shall.” She said the words in the same mockingly prim tone as she took his hand. They shared a smile as the beat began.

It started off slow, where they simply swayed to the music. And then the beat registered and the steps became more varied. Despite her words, she did not step on his toes, so he was saved from fate of having aching feet tomorrow.

“What took you so long to get here?”

Raiden blinked at the question, eyes snapping down to meet curious hazel ones. His mind wandered to the headache the past few days had been before he mentally shook the residues away. Self destructive thoughts would do no good here.

“It’s nothing,” he finally settled on, shaking his head, “family stuff.”

AylaWestfordcocked her head to the side by thankfully didn’t pry. However, Raiden was amused to note that the expression on her face made it clear she had many questions on the matter. When her lips pursed as she looked down he couldn’t help but release a short chuckle.

“I doubt you’d step on my toes now when you haven’t thus far.”

“You don’t know that,” she huffed but her eyes were on his again. “If I crush your feet, remember that it’s your own fault.”

“As you wish, m’lady.” Even as he said the words, he couldn’t stop his amusement from bleeding through. She gave him a mock glare and then smiled.

“Regardless,” Raiden said as he led her into the next twirl of the dance, “how are you feeling?”

She spun in his arms and he caught her hand before she could fall out of step. “About what?”

“That absolute disaster of a man.”

“Absolute disaster?” He was pleased to note an amused gleam in her eyes.

“Sorry. I meant to say brain dead chicken.”

“Hmm.” She shook her head. “More like ade-featheredpeacock.”

“Pft.” His feet almost missed a step. “de-featheredpeacock?”

“Of course,” she grinned, “a featherless bird strutting around with confidence but nothing to back it.”

He struggled not to smile. “I suppose it is fitting, but it may be offensive to the bird.”

The grin on her face grew. “True. Perhaps a overconfident chicken.”

“That’s offensive to the chicken,” he teased. “Sleazy trashcan.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Baboon in skates.”

“Stinky turd.”

“No mind all cheese raccoon.”

“Old man who can’t take a hint.”

“Old man who should take a hint.”

“Oh absolutely,” he nodded as they moved into another turn. “No sense all bullshit.”

“Poopypoop brain.”

Raiden was embarrassed to admit that he stumbled in his next step from the sheer force of the laugh that left him at that. Luckily Ayla managed to pull him upright before he could do any damage using her hold on his hands. But the moment their eyes met, they were both bursting into muffled laughter as they moved into the next step.

“What?” He couldn’t stop the grin this time.

“Don’t judge me!” She said the words between laughs, “it was the first thing that came to mind.”

“Really now?”

“Shut up,” she mumbled. He could see her ears turning red, along with the blush on her cheeks. It only made his grin grow.

“Anyway,” she started throwing him a glare that had almost no heat, “I’m feeling better. I…Think that the effect if wearing off.”

“Good to hear.” His grin softened into a smile.

“Oh!” She perked up as they stepped to the right for the next stage of the dance. “I definitely won that naming game.”

“Did not.” He felt childish but the words had already left his lips.

“Did too.”

“Did not.”

“Did too.” She stuck out her tongue, “You’re just a sore loser.”

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am not.”

“Are too!” She gave him a glare and was about to say something else when the ridiculousness of the situation hit them both. Immediately, instead of continuing the childish argument, they burst into another round of laughter.

As they lapsed into a comfortable silence for the remainder of the dance, Raiden was surprised to note he was enjoying himself. It was strange. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d acted so childishly with someone.

Somewhere along the way, he’d let his inadequacies shadow his every action. Let the failures of his plans and their futility make him forget what fun was. Yet, here with a girl he’d only started speaking to just over a fortnight ago, it came easily.

It was regretful they hadn’t spoken earlier. He had a feeling they might have become great friends. A strange pang of loss stabbed his heart at the thought. Refusing to budge, even as they made their way back to Lenora.

He could see her lips curving into a smile through the veil as they approached. She handed them both a cup of juice as they reached her.

“It looked like you were having fun.”

“Yep!” Ayla grinned, immediately taking a sip of her drink. “And I didn’t step on any toes.”

“Yes. My feet have been spared of the torture.”

Lenora smiled. “That’s great! They won’t have to be allouchie.”

“Well, that has yet to be seen.” Raiden offered her his hand as the next song started to play, setting his cup aside. “Care to dance?”

She blinked. “A dance?”

“Yes.”

“Right now?”

“Of course.” He grinned, “No time like the present.”

“But there will be a next present.” Raiden blinked in surprise at the rebuttal, lips twitching. Where…

“Where do you get this stuff?” Ah. It seemed he and Ayla were of the same mind. She shook her head and pointed a finger at Lenora. “If I have to dance, so do you. Don’t even think of trying to get out of it.”

Raiden smothered a laugh as Lenora sighed exaggeratedly and took his hand. “I suppose.”

“I promise I won’t step on your feet,” he said with an amused grin.

He could see her lips twitching. “See that you don’t.”

It wasn’t difficult to join the droves of people starting to dance to the melody. The party was in full swing and the participants were to immersed in themselves to notice them. Raiden found it amusing when Lenora stared at them for a few seconds too long before placing her hand in his to begin the dance.

Obviously, he kept the amusement to himself. He still wasn’t entirely sure how she would react and didn’t want her to think that he was making fun of her.

“So…What did you talk about?”

He blinked. “What?”

She tilted her head to the side, shooting him an owlish look in between spins. “With Ayla of course.” She poked him lightly as she spun back into his arms. “What were you talking about?”

“It wasn’t anything in particular.”

An owlish blink and scrunched nose. “You were laughing.”

“It’s silly.”

“That’s okay.” She grinned. “I like silly things.”

That made a smile of his own blossom onto his lips. “We were just making fun of thatasshatyou ran off.”

“The strange man scaring Rose?”

His brows scrunched in confusion. “Rose? Who’s Rose?”

“Hmm…” Her face took on a considering expression. “That man called her Miss Primrose.”

Primrose. Raiden hummed in answer. He did remember his mother telling him about the family having a daughter named Rosaline Primrose. The only question was…

“Did you call her Rose because of her first name or last?”

Lenora gave him a look that said she thought he was being ridiculous. “ Does it have to be one or the other? Why can’t it be both?”

“Touché.” Raiden smiled. And then. “Did you see Kiran?”

Her lips twitched as she shifted her eyes to gaze into his. “Yes.”

“Do you know where he went.”

“He had things to do,” she said sagely.

“What things?” They still needed to have that lunch. The man had yet to call him about it.

“Things.” She shrugged a little. He was surprised she could since her hands were in his. “Why?”

“I wanted to talk to him.”

She blinked. “Why?”

Raiden hesitated for a second before deciding it wasn’t really a secret. “We had plans to go to lunch.”

Lenora gave him a blank look in reply. “Why don’t you just call him or message then?”

Because he didn’t know if it would be received well. Truth be told, his friends had a tendency to simply show up. He had never needed to call them. And now he didn’t know if it was even acceptable.

“Would…that be a good idea?” He didn’t realise he’d asked the question aloud until she gave him a confused look.

“What? Calling?”

His silence must have been answer enough because she quickly shook her head and sighed before pinning him with an exasperated look. “Don’t be a turd monkey, of course it’s okay for you to call your friends.” Her face softened as she smiled. “I call Ayla all the time.”

Well that was comforting. He didn’t know whether she was a good measure of what was acceptable since he’d seen her ask a clerk why he was balding, but he supposed it wouldn’t hurt. Now. He only had one question.

“Turd monkey?” His lips twitched, what was that even meant to mean?

“A monkey who doesn’t know its sitting in poop,” she says like it’s obvious. “Or someone who’s full of poop.” She blinks. “I don’t remember which.”

Raiden has to muffle a laugh. “You’re making that up.”

“Am not,” she says a little too quickly.

“Are too.”

Her face scrunches in annoyance, eyes gleaming through the veil. “You can believe that. I understand facing the obvious is difficult for you.”

A laugh burst out at that. He couldn’t stop the stream of laughter that followed it, and had to let go of her hand to muffle it. He would give a reply, but her annoyed expression coupled with the tone were too funny for him too feel offended.

“I thought we were dancing.” She gives him a confused look and he begins to laugh all over again.

“Yes we are.” He says as he gets it under control enough for them to continue. Lenora gives him an unimpressed glare, but the smile playing on her lips gives her away.

As they get back into the sway of the music, he notes that this dance is different from the one he shared with Ayla. They both had laughter, but his conversation with Ayla made more sense to him. Still, his lips pull into a grin as he leads her into a twirl.

A little bit of madness was fun as well. At the very least he was enjoying himself.

0