The end of the journey!?
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Don't forget to rate and review!

 

It’s been a week since we watched that show about the life of the demon king, to say that we were shocked would be an understatement, Allee hasn’t even mentioned the demon king since that day, and it makes sense considering she has been spending most of the time with that orc woman, I guess she was lucky to find her soul mate so easily, some people really are born with their life solved.

 

As for me? Well, I’ve been outsourced by the local guild the 'obsidianz', they gave me a room, food and I’m also getting paid to help adventurers, it’s been interesting honestly, we’ve been hunting for rare materials and in the last farming trip we even found solid mercury.

 

We also went hunting literally, the chase for the metal boars almost made some members lose their lives, however, thanks to my healing abilities, none of that happened thankfully.

 

I’ve been so busy this whole week that I haven’t been able to see Allee, it sucks but even if she’s shocked, food isn’t going to put itself on the table, so I had to start to work as soon as I could, also it was announced that deemoneecuties are coming to this city and the pre-sale for the VIP tickets start in the next few days, I need to get ready and save as most money as I can.

 

Now I’m coming back from a successful material hunting, the guild needed some magic mushrooms so it was easy for me thanks to my flying abilities as these mushrooms grow in very risky places that could put humans in danger like mountain cliffs, I’m successfully carrying a bag with a few pounds of them, we’re going to put the lab in use and the first healing potions of this guild will be created and they will be for the personal use of the guild and we're also going to sell them to the general public, I will also earn a percentage from the sales.

 

Yes, life as the local guild's sorcerer isn't that bad, I just need to convince Allee to stay here and then our lives will be easier, speaking about Allee, the young knight was outside of the guild and of course, she was accompanied by the orc woman and her party.

 

“Kazz!” She said shyly, I had a very bad feeling about this.

 

“Allee…It’s been a few days, how are you?” I asked a little worried about her whereabouts.

 

“Well, yes, I’ve been busy with Lammy and her friends, but especially with her... Anyway, Kazz, there’s something you need to know,” Allee suddenly took the orc woman’s hand.

 

“If you’re telling me you two are dating, you don’t need to tell me I can already tell, congratulations!” I said with a calm expression, this was going too fast but I wanted to support her.

 

“Actually we’re engaged and I’m going to travel with her from now on,” she said as she looked at the ground completely embarrassed.

 

Now I had conflicted feelings, on one hand, it seemed like I wouldn’t be involved in the self-destructive mission to defeat the demon king anymore, which was good, but separating from her doesn't sound so good.

 

“Wait, what?” I even dropped the shrooms after hearing those words.

 

“Zajoot’s mom is going to get married so, we’re traveling to the western orc domains,” Allee said as calmly as possible.

 

“Don’t you think you’re rushing with this Allee? Think twice about it, you’re too young to get married,” I tried to stop her.

 

“According to orc traditions the faster you get married the better, and I don’t know why Kazz but… I feel like she’s the right one for me,” Allee looked back at the green-skinned woman who was devouring a chicken drumstick as if she didn’t care about what was happening around her.

 

“But what about your dream? Didn’t you tell me you wanted to defeat the demon king?” I don’t know why I asked this but I needed her to stay here I don’t want her to follow the first woman that speaks nicely to her.

 

She remained in silence with her eyes closed for a few moments but suddenly she locked eyes with me.

 

“Kazz… I sometimes feel like I’m holding you back, I think you need a better party, and after witnessing that show of strength from the demon king, I don’t feel capable of defeating him,” she said shyly. “I know you don't care about his strength as you didn’t tell me anything the last few days,” her words felt like daggers in my heart.

 

I was waiting for her to tell me what she thought about the demon king's strength, and I thought she didn’t want to quit and that’s why she didn’t tell me anything.

 

“Allee, it’s okay, we don’t need to fight the demon king if you don’t want to, in fact, I’ve been having a very successful life in the guild, I haven’t joined I was waiting for you, we can join together!” I proposed to her.

 

She was making a huge mistake and I needed to stop her, but then someone intervened, it was Batz, the guild leader and he looked concerned.

 

“Kazz, I got worried you hadn’t come back with the shrooms, what’s going on?” Asked the older man with a concerned expression.

 

I explained everything to him, from the change of decision and the crazy idea Allee was planning to do, maybe he’ll be able to convince her, after all, he wanted the two of us to join the guild, I don’t think he’ll be happy to lose someone so strong and reliable like Allee.

 

“So that’s how things are,” the older man suddenly got silent. “Do you want my opinion? I think that you should follow your heart,” the guild leader said to Allee and his words surprised me, that wasn’t the advice I wanted him to give her.

 

“What? Don’t you think it’s crazy for someone so young to get married?” I asked the man with a worried expression.

 

“Well, in case anything happens, she still has you, doesn’t she?” Asked the older man with a smile on his face.

 

And now I was between the sword and the stone, it was hard to answer this question because any answer would give Allee a bad image of me, I know I shouldn’t be feeling like this, after all, we sorcerers can’t get attached to humans because we’ll outlive all of them. 

 

I guess it's better to let her go, not only this will save me the pain of losing her just like all those people I’ve met in the past or those who ended up betraying me or dying in the stupidest ways possible, at least with her decision I don’t have to fight the demon king, and she gets to live the life she wants safely with her half-orc girlfriend, everyone wins.

 

“Yes,” I said defeated and the young knight suddenly hugged me.

 

“I know it’s been less than two weeks since we’ve known each other, but you’re the first genuine friend I have Kazz, the one who’s not interested in me for my wealth and the one who doesn’t hesitate in correcting me or being stern just to avoid hurting my feelings,” she said in a sad tone. “Thank you for treating me like a normal human being,” she finished and she couldn’t hold her tears anymore.

 

I locked eyes with Batz because I didn’t know what to do in this situation and he silently told me to hug her back and that’s what I did.

 

“Sorry for being such a jerk with you sometimes, Allee I just want you to promise me two things,” I said in a calm tone and she stopped the hug to look at me while she wiped the tears off her eyes.

 

“Y-yes?” She asked as she tried to regain her composure.

 

“Promise me you’re going to live a happy life and you will always do what you want, promise me you won’t live like a caged bird once again,” I said in a serious tone.

 

Allee was surprised by my words, but in the end, she nodded heavily, it seemed like the thing she wanted the most was freedom, she was even willing to die at the hands of the demon king as long as she got time to live her life.

 

“The next thing I want you to promise me is that you’ll write Sir Louis and tell him about your decision and I want you to specify that this was your decision, with that he'll have no reason to hunt me, okay?” I tried to cheer her up and she nodded before she started to giggle.

 

We didn’t know what to say now, so, we just looked at each other but then her girlfriend clarified her voice as a sign for Allee to hurry up.

 

“Will I see you again?” She asked in a worried tone.

 

“Yes, I don’t know when or how, but we’ll see each other at some point, and…” I suddenly searched for something in my cloak and I got a small mirror out of it. 

 

I gave her the mirror and she looked at me with a confused expression.

 

“I’m probably going to join the local guild, so, If you decide to come back or if you want to vacation here you can use this "trip mirror", it’s been enchanted so the person who uses it could be able to come back to this city, be careful though, you need to break it to activate it and it’s just a one-use thing, you can buy more in the entrance of the city and you can do the same with other towns you visit,” I explained to her even though she didn't need to hear me because she was with Nahilda who I hate to admit is better than me when it comes to magical stuff

 

But in the end, Allee nodded heavily.

 

“I’ll take it into account,” she said as she saved the mirror. 

 

“Good luck,” I said as calmly as I could.

 

“Good luck to you too,” she said with a genuine smile and those were the last words we exchanged before she joined the other group.

 

“Leader… Why didn’t you stop her?” I asked the Batz with a confused expression, I was too confused by his actions.

 

“Kazz… Do you really think I don’t understand young women? I have a daughter too, she’s a few years older than Allee,” he looked at me with a serious expression. “Kazz, you need to understand something, young humans are still too naïve, they think they’ll own the world, and when an idea gets into their heads, nothing will stop them,” he sighed before he looked at me.

 

His words made sense, after all, Allee was so obsessed with the idea of defeating the demon king.

 

"The more you tell them to not do anything the more they feel encouraged to do it, it's better to let them learn from their mistakes and support them if they regret their choices than make them hate you and let them face their mistakes alone," he sighed after saying those deep words.

 

“So, what did your daughter do?” I asked with curiosity.

 

“She wanted to be an adventurer like me, she wanted to fight monsters and become the best adventurer in the world,” he giggled after saying those words.

 

“So… What discouraged her from that life?” His daughter sounded like an interesting person.

 

“She almost got killed by a river bubble, you know? The ones that capture, asphyxiate, and drain creatures,” I nodded I knew about those creatures. “Luckily I was with her at that time and I managed to explode the bubble,” he smiled as he looked at the ground.

 

It was so strange how a creature so simple to destroy was too dangerous.

 

“So, what happened afterward?” The guild leader is a good person I’m glad to know his daughter is okay.

 

“She realized her mistake and decided to follow another path, she’s studying to become a doctor in the capital, I’m glad she’s doing that now, after all, for those of us who didn’t have the opportunity to study it was either becoming a criminal, starve to death or become an adventurer, there are no other options if you want to get out of misery,” the older man finished and got back into the guild, he’s a very complex man.

 

I picked up the bag with the shrooms and I was about to get inside the guild, but Nahilda was back, I just ignored the awful words she was about to say to me.

 

“Wait, Kazz, there’s something important I need to tell you,” I stopped myself in my tracks before I sighed. “We asked the witnesses, and all of them confirmed that Jaggi self-destroyed himself, however, once my younger brother knows about what happened to him, not only he’s going to come after you, but the secret services too” She warned me.

 

“So… You’re going to tell them?” I asked with a serious expression.

 

“Kazz, I can be all the worst things in the world… Snitch is not one of them,” she said with a serious expression.

 

“It’s hard for me to trust your words, besides, Hansso would never do something like that, he looked down at Jaggi, he even hated him!” She doesn’t even know what she’s talking about.

 

“That’s the public image they wanted to give, but their relationship was different behind closed doors,” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “It’s up to you if you want to believe me, but there’s a group of people that will certainly come after you once they realize that Jaggi hasn’t contacted them… The secret service,” her words made me gulp.

 

I don’t know how to feel right now.

 

“Anyway, I’m just warning you,” she said in a serious tone. “Just save enough money and run away from here,” she suggested to me, and her words made sense.

 

“Why are you telling me this?” I was having a hard time trusting her.

 

She remained in silence for a few moments and she was staring at the ground before she looked at me.

 

“Because I want you back,” she confessed with a smile on her face.

 

She didn’t move nor say anything and once she realized I didn’t even flinched at her words, she sighed.

 

“You truly changed Kazz and I know I have zero reason to complain because it’s my fault but… Be careful, ‘the sorcerer hunter cult’ is out there, and forget about that stupid quest for revenge against your former friends, trust me, my brother is not like Jaggi, there’s a reason why he’ll probably become the next sorcerer advisor for the king of the continent,” her words confirmed my suspicions, I better stay here.

 

I remained in complete silence while I was thinking about what she said.

 

“Oh, and more thing Kazz, I truly didn’t want to turn you into dust, and also, I’m not dating that human!” She giggled before she started to run. “Or maybe I'm lying about one of those things, who knows?” she laughed like crazy before she joined her group of friends.

 

“Wait… Which one is the lie!?” She didn’t even answer.

 

I hated myself right now, I became weak once again to her words, but still, that didn’t change the fact that she said some interesting things, so, I just sighed before I got back to the guild, this was the start of my new life after all even if it’s going to be short.

 

I can safely say that my adventure is finally over, I guess for now I’m just going to save enough money to escape to another continent and live a peaceful life there, I guess it was a fun adventure while it lasted.

 

“This was a Kazzmodeus Antajres adventure!!”

 

Curiosity #17: The 'sorcerer-hunting cult' is a group that has been in the news lately for destroying sorcerers, no one knows who they are but common folk sorcerers are the main suspects of being in that group as an act of revenge against the 'founder families'.

 

 

0