Chapter 6: First Duel III
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rei made three mistakes.

Firstly, he thought all starter decks had the same composition like his–without any Engage unit.

Secondly, he used Gamma Storm without knowing the real capability of his opponent deck. He should save it for a stronger unit like Ignitor Max.

And lastly, he underestimated Morgan. The dumbest mistake he ever made.

Those led him to the current situation. Let alone the chance of winning, his opportunity to get the next turn was barely in sight.

In front of him, Morgan held the flow of the game. Rei couldn't think anymore especially when he had nothing to use from his hand.

Both duelists locked their eyes to each other. The slightest movement would shift the tension for better or worse. By then, Morgan pulled his hand from the cards as his eyes gawked onto Rei.

“I end my turn,” he declared suddenly.

Hearing that, the duel tension melted away, allowing Rei to take a normal breath in the next second. His body slowly felt lighter, became unstrained, as if a boulder had been removed from his shoulders.

However, that was an awkward decision to take. Especially when you had control of most everything in the game.

Something was wrong, Rei thought. Is he pitying me?

He eagerly asked why, then–

“No. I didn't mean to give a damn chance or underestimate you,” Morgan suddenly said, refuting Rei’s inner argument unintentionally. “You can see for yourself. I've reached the Deploy Limit there. But, that’s not my exact reason to do so.”

Rei let out a long sigh. He was glad that his opponent didn’t pity him, but at the same time also dismayed by his situation. He got another chance to fight back, but he wasn’t sure if he could beat his opponent at this point.

Morgan had units filling all space in the Battle Zone, especially with a Twin Unit there. To beat something like that, Rei should have a comparable powerful monster or flawless strategy. However, he didn’t have those in his hand right now.

“Is it because of your unit effect?” Rei shot a guess and caused Morgan’s eyes to glow.

“Oho! You’re freaking right, mate! The other effect of my ace unit will lead me to the win in my next turn!”

Other effects? Rei wondered. That unit have more arsenal?

“I see. What is it anyway? It isn’t harmful to tell me beforehand, right?” It was a shameful question, especially since it wasn't out of curiosity, it was out of desperation.

However, as he had expected, his question brought silence between them. He felt bad actually.

“I don't mind,” Morgan replied almost immediately, which made Rei’s face funny. “I remind you, you have no chance even if you know about it.”

“Huh?! W-wait! wait!”

Morgan ignored Rei’s response and did something to his bracelet.

Rei didn’t know if he should be grateful or ashamed right now.

He thought Morgan would ignore his silly question or at least showed a grimace to him for asking an inappropriate request. Everyone shouldn't reveal their trade secrets, right? That's the basic rule for working in society!

Yet, this guy granted his wish like a cheap bargain.

By then, a card information popped up in front of him. It was the same unit card as before. But now Rei could read everything. All of its effects.

The confusion he felt before hadn’t yet been resolved and he had to dismiss it. He had a higher priority right now.

His gaze locked onto the card description. Chewing word by word, producing a frown on his forehead. In the last three paragraphs, it just got worse.

[(1)Passive Effect: Mythic Armor : {1}

Unit is able to prevent destruction by a battle {1} times]

[(2)Passive Effect: Taunt]

[Opponent cannot attack other Bombast Unit on the field except this card]

[Effect(2): At the start of your next turn, inflict 2 Explosive Counter to your opponent. Twice per turn, you can ignite all Explosive Counter and the opponent takes 1000 Damage per counter.]

A long, wide smile spread across Morgan's face, revealing two rows of white teeth. “How is it? Awesome, isn’t it?”

Rei slowly raised his head. Even after he knew the secret of Morgan’s unit, he couldn't show a satisfying smile.

“Yeah…” He wiped his sweat. “What a crazy unit you have there.”

Morgan clicked his tongue in a happy sound. He leaned forward and played with his fingers. “Now y’know. There is no way a rookie could beat me. You said this is your first time, right? Just learn from your upcoming loss, mate. You can win your next game. I promise you.”

What a prideful statement. Yet, Rei was unable to deny it.

After reading all Ignitor MAX's effects, he came back to his senses–he couldn't win the duel. Not with a random deck like he owned today. Not even with a Master Spell: Life Seed which gave him additional Life Point. Because there was no evidence that Morgan was only able to inflict 2 stacks of Explosive Counters to him.

Based on his calculations, Morgan could, at least, inflict 4 Explosive Counters in the next turn, which meant Rei needed to handle 4000 damage at once.

Not only that. Due to its passive effect, he couldn’t attack other units on the field. Basically, he should defeat that monster unit head on.

Those assumptions demoralized him so badly. The straw he wanted to grasp disappeared. Completely. His hands squeezed hard on nothing, trembling. He really couldn’t see anything beyond a fear of losing.

“R-Rei!”

He turned his head toward the call and found his small companion swinging its hand. Due to the duel, he was completely unaware of its existence.

It was the little iron dwarf.

The robot continued its small talk with a flat tone, like it didn't care about anything in the first place. “All starter decks were built differently, but each of them had the same chance to win the trial.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“I know what you are thinking right now. But, my circuit told me what I needed to say. The rest is yours to decide.”

The robot, which stood beside the field, went silent. Rei demanded an answer, but no response was given.

“HAHAHAHA!” Morgan cut in before he could repeat the question. “Your small friend was right, mate. I don’t want to let you know about my history, but yeah, I am still here for a reason, right? In this trial, everything is, you know, quite equal.”

Rei’s brain was trying to fill the lost piece of puzzle in their statement. He kept tying all the dots together again and again. And–

No way… He lost?! But, how? That unit is basically a strong gatekeeper and I don't see how he could lose.

All starter decks were built differently, but all of them had the same chance to win the trial.

That sentence echoed in his head and gave birth to a question.

Is that even possible?

Rei recalled all the turns he played together. A move by move, a play by play, and all of it finally knocked a sense to him. The revelation of that knowledge lit the dimmed hope inside him. It burned slowly and kept rising. Filling him with energy that could straighten him up.

He finally faced Morgan, now with a new blast in his engine.

“Thank you for giving me the second chance, Morgan.”

“Your welcome–Hey! I didn’t give you a chance! It's just my deck nature! That’s all!”

That’s it. You leaked it.

Your kindness overwhelmed me. In order to respect you, I will give my best too.

Rei weaved a smile, a piece of sudden joy decorated his face. He couldn't explain why, he just had fun suddenly, and embraced it without raising more questions. Perhaps, because he was finally able to grasp his hope.

He took a big step forward, treading his right foot firmly as one with the floor. He put his right hand on the top of his deck. After a long exhale, he drew the top card with the most burning shout.

“DRAW!” His voice echoed through the room. Somehow, he didn’t feel ashamed anymore.

On the other hand, Morgan was in awe. He became excited. “Good! Come to me, mate–nah, Rei! Give me your best shot!”

5th Turn: Rei

[Rei LP 300 | Aegis 0 | Unit 1]

[Morgan LP 1500 | Aegis 0 | Unit 3]

Rei memorized most of the cards' names and some of their effects. With that, he sorted out the cards that had the potential to be played. The first variable he needed to remember was The Deploy Limit. He had 10/10 right now. That meant he could deploy units ten times before entering the Battle Phase.

The second variable was the Nighty Deck’s nature. This starter deck didn’t use any Engage Unit. Back to the first time he received the deck, there were a few highlighted cards, to be precise, three cards with a sexy woman artwork. Those were the stars of his deck.

Rei recited the name and the effect of those cards quietly. Until he was sure about it, he finally saw a pattern that led him to the brightest path. The bad part was, he didn’t have those in his current hand.

Right now, He had Nighty Seducer in the Support Zone. In hand, he had a Nighty Bartender, Nighty Dealer, and newly added cards from the Draw Phase, Nighty Waitress.

Before anything else, Rei used Master Spell: Life Seed to restore his Life Point.

LP +1500

“I deploy Nighty Bartender.” A cool girl with a tuxedo appeared in the Combat Zone.

“I am ready to serve. What is your order, Master?” The bartender said, but Rei ignored her.

“Next, with 1 material cost from my hand, I deploy Nighty Dealer! At the same time, Nighty Bartender’s effect is activated.” A glass of wine was brought to Rei by the Bartender. When he touched it, it vanished into wisps of light and 500 LPs were restored.

Rei LP 1800 -> 2300.

[Nighty Bartender]

[Level : 1]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Neutral]

[Power : 100]

[Class Effect: - ]

[Effect(1): Once per turn, when a Nighty unit deployed to the Combat Zone, gains 500 Life Points.]

“Then, I use Dealer’s ability.” Nighty Dealer walked to her Master and gave 2 chips to him. After he took it, his LP was cut into half. “By doing this, I can draw 2 cards–urgh!”

Rei LP 2300 -> 1150

Rei’s hand 0 -> +2

Even though the regeneration effect in this duel was extremely fast, Rei still could feel the sensation, like his heart was cut in half by a sharp blade. He rubbed his chest a few times and still wondered about Nighty Dealer’s ability.

[Nighty Dealer]

[Level : 3]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Neutral]

[Power : 100]

[Class Effect: - ]

[Effect(1): Once per turn, Half player Life Point, draw 2 cards.]

I don't want to use this kind of effect anymore, he muttered. It hurts more than a Plasma Gun.

“What a risky play, Rei. Hope you get good cards.”

Rei’s face lifted up due to Morgan’s comment, but he only flashed a smile. He immediately went back to his hand, looking at the newly added cards.

Armament Spell: Slimy Whip

Unit: Nighty Accountant

Shit.

The key cards from Nighty Deck were Nighty Queen Majesty, Nighty Queen Nutcracker, and Nighty First Lady. And the one he wanted the most was Nighty Queen Majesty. Due to its effect, Rei could easily destroy his opponent's unit. Yet, he failed to obtain it.

Rei was desperate. Yet, not deep enough to make him succumb into the hopeless situation anymore.

There was no turning back after he made the promise. To give his best.

He read the new added card’s effect and hoped to find a way. The glimmer of hope in his eyes had not yet been extinguished.

I can make another gamble.

“I deploy Nighty Accountant to the Combat Zone.” After the card he threw landed on the spot, it immediately transformed into a girl in a proper blue suit. She wore a monocle and carried documents in her hand.

“Do you need to buy something, Master? Don't forget to give your report to me later.” Just like usual, all the units he played always said something irrelevant to the current situation. Of course, Rei ignored all of them.

[Nighty Accountant]

[Level : 2]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Neutral]

[Power : 300]

[Class Effect: - ]

[Effect(1): When this card was deployed, Search 1 Nighty Protocol Card and add it to your hand]

If the Bombast Archetype relied on their effect to stack Explosive Counter to their opponent, then the Nighty Archetype would depend on their Protocol Card instead.

“I added a Protocol Card, Grandiose Bar to my hand,” Shortly after receiving the card, Rei put it near his bracelet as written in the guide he read earlier. Then, a slot opened and he inserted it.

Something clearly happened.

Rei could feel the electric energy concentrating inside the bracelet, then his hand aimed automatically at the Protocol Zone in the left side of Spell Zone. All at once, the energy shot out without any warning.

The duel field shook intensely. A sudden pillar appeared on the Protocol Zone and at the same time, a bar-like building emerged from the ground.

[Grandiose ‘Nighty’ Bar]

[Type: Protocol]

[Level: 1*]

[Effect (Level 0: Universal Attribute): Each standby Phase, Search 1 Protocol Card with the same name, add it to your hand] {Ultra Attributed applied}

[Effect (Level 1): Once per turn, Search a random Nighty Unit level 5 from the deck, add it to your hand].

[Restriction: Effect only can be activated if player have 1000 LP or higher]

I see. So, this Protocol Card served like a Field Card, but what is the level meaning? I never know about a spell with a level? Maybe it is a different thing?

No, I should focus on the duel first.

“I activate its effect to add a random Nighty Unit Level 5 from my deck!”

“Woah! That’s nuts!” Morgan was startled, yet a smile bloomed on his face. “Let’s see what you got there, Rei!”

There were only three cards that had a level five. Yep, just those key cards. By this, he had a 33.33% chance to get what he needed the most.

Rei closed his eyes, and a card randomly popped from the deck into his hand. Slowly, he opened his eyes while hoping for the best thing to happen.

[Nighty Queen Nutcracker]

Shit!

This is not what I need!

Rei made a fist, yet he didn’t know what or where he needed to punch. His luck? He couldn’t touch something like that, let alone to hit it.

Calm down, Rei. You need to think clearly. You should use this card wisely, at least to get another turn–No! I can’t win no matter what if I let this turn go waste like this!

He read once again all the cards he controlled on the field and what he had in his hand.

Nighty Queen Nutcracker… Battler… Armament Spell…

Nighty Queen Nutcracker… Battler… Armament Spell…

Do I really have no chance–wait! Nighty Nutcracker and Slimy Whip…

But, Morgan controls three units and I need to beat all of them… On my side, I only have one strong unit … by its effect and combination between these two cards … perhaps …

I see it!

Rei beamed.

“Prepare yourself, Morgan!” He exclaimed, “I deploy Nighty Queen Nutcracker with 2 material costs on the field!” Rei selected Nighty Accountant and Bartender as a tribute.

A knock rang out. It came from the door of the Grandiose Bar on the field. With a bang, the door was forced open, as white clouds came out to greet the main star of the game.

A woman in a tight black latex outfit walked in like a mighty queen. From her toes to her gold-painted hair, everything displayed both sexiness and strong dominance. Her entire existence gave the impression of a conqueror.

"Where's the nut I'm supposed to step on, Master?" she declared, while releasing a hot steam from her mouth.

[Nighty Queen Nutcracker]

[Level : 5]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Battler]

[Power : 1000]

[Class Effect: Twice Attack ]

“I see. So that’s your Ace unit, huh!” Morgan beamed. “Let’s see what she can do!”

"No need to be hasty, a queen needs a weapon that can subdue even a king--I'm attaching Armament Spell: Slimy Whip, to Nighty Queen Nutcracker!"

A long, black whip with beautiful shimmer appeared and was quickly wielded by the queen. She whipped it here and there so that it stirred the atmosphere. She was grinning as if she was happy.

Armament Spell - Slimy Whip increased the host power by 500. With this, both players' strongest units on the field had the same strength.

Rei took a deep breath, then exhaled it slowly. “Battle!”

This is my final attempt.

“Get ready, Morgan!”

“I am always ready for you to come!”

“My Queen, attack Ignitor Max with your mighty whip! At the same time, I activate the Slimy Whip second’s effect! I can return all opponent units with a power lower than 1000.”

Two Bombast Soldiers on the field were forced to return back to Morgan’s hand.

“Goddamnit! That’s your aim from the beginning, huh?”

“Continue your attack on him, my Queen!”

Nutcracker moaned pretty hard like a horny maiden, and leaped forward. With a swing, her whip struck the enemy like thunder.

“With a booster from Nighty Seducer, My queen power increased by 500!”

Nutcracker 2000 vs 1500 Ignitor MAX

Shortly after the clash, Morgan suffered 500 damage. Yet, he didn’t show any worries on his face. “Haa! My Ignitor MAX has Mythic Armor, he can’t be destroyed by that attack!”

“I know! That’s why my battle is not over, Morgan!” Letting out another moan, Nutcracker jumped to Ignitor MAX’s face and whipped him as hard as she could. A thunderous sound cracked the air while leaving a cloud of smoke on the field.

“Do you think I will do nothing against that attack? I activated my Bombast Soldier effect from my hand!”

[Bombast Soldier]

[Level : 2]

[Type : Warrior]

[Class : Neutral]

[Power : 500]

[Class Effect: -]

[Effect(1): {Hyper Attribute applied} You can discard this unit from hand, target one Bombast Unit you control, it gains power making it equal to the attacking unit power until the end of battle phase.]

[Restriction: Twice per turn, It only can be activated when your opponent declared their second attack or more]

Morgan's lips widened. “With this, your Nutcracker also gets destroyed in this battle!”

He was waiting for a desperate expression on Rei’s face. However, silence filled the entire room along with a weird pressure in the air.

“Are you sure?”

Morgan’s neck hair stood up. The smile on his face dulled. “What do you mean?”

After the smoke on the field dissipated, Nighty Queen Nutcracker was still standing with her plump breasts puffed out.

“H-How is that possible? With the two units being equal in strength, they should be destroyed in battle at the same time!”

“Unless, you didn’t pay attention to my field, perhaps?”

Morgan’s eyes immediately scanned the whole arena.

“Nighty Dealer is gone?!”

“Correct!” This time, Rei grinned the widest. “When my Nutcracker Queen gets destroyed by battle, I can send 1 Nighty unit from my Combat Zone to negate her destruction!”

Morgan gritted his teeth, but managed to maintain a smile on his face.

“Huh! Even if my unit gets destroyed, your battle phase is over now, Rei. You have zero unit to attack me! What a pity, if you could have sacrificed a unit from the Support Zone, I would have lost.” He let out a sharp laugh. "Nice try, now it's my turn–"

“Right!” Rei interjected. “You are absolutely right, Morgan.”

“Huh?”

“But, my queen has a different plan!”

Morgan’s eyes widened and he took a step back. “Don’t tell me–!”

“At the end of my Battle Phase and Nighty Queen Nutcracker had destroyed a level 3 or higher unit, my opponent will take 1000 damage!”

“Shit!”

“Morgan, I end my Battle Phase.”

Nighty Queen Nutcracker immediately leaped forward with a grin. She tightened her whip and threw a deadly swing. The thunderous sound was matched by its destructive power, shattering Morgan's hands and leaving him covered in blood.

When Morgan’s life point reached zero, the duel field glowed, evaporated into blue particles of light, and completely disappeared. There was nothing left but the original barren condition of the field.

[CONGRATULATIONS!]

[WINNER OF THE TRIAL: REI]

A new blue screen greeted Rei along with a horn sound.

He suspected that Morgan had gotten his defeat announcement. However, he didn't see an overwhelming disappointment on his opponent’s face. Just a man who looked satisfied with the result.

Morgan threw a long sigh and then waved at Rei.

He wanted to wave back, but his sight was blocked by a lot of screens that popped up out of nowhere.

[Duelist level increased!]

Duelist Lv 0 -> 1.

[New cards added to the Nighty Deck: 20]

Starter Nighty Deck completed 20 -> 40.

[New Features unlocked!]

Scan Lv. 1

Materialization Lv. 1

DP

GSE Lv. 1

[Sol] Instant Translator Lv. 1

[New Deck Slot unlocked]

1 -> 2

[New Access unlocked]

Hyper Code Shop available.

Grand Elevator Floor 1 available to explore.

Unit Deployment Access: Outer Plane {1} granted

Armament Equip Access : Outer Plane {1} granted

[3 Sphere Core nodes have been unlocked]

[New Sphere Cores obtained]

{Main} Core Sphere: unlocked.

{Class} Core Sphere: unlocked.

Before Rei could read all of that, he got another notice. But this time, it took his full attention.

[For your last chance reward]

[Please choose one of the available choice(s):

Memory Fragment

or

Dragon Sphere Core]

When the phrase 'Memory Fragment” appeared, Rei pressed the button without bothering with his second choice. Instantly, he received a key.

[R-ROOM ACCESS GRANTED]

1