Chapter 18 – Three Colors
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Laz didn’t understand why he did it. He had kept any feelings for Calder on a strict diet, never allowing himself to indulge in more than a few seconds of daydreaming. Whenever they got too close, he had always pulled back, Whenever his goals faded from focus, he realigned himself. His studies, what he owed to Evermine and his mentor, were all he let himself yearn for.

Yet somehow, perhaps caught up in the wonder of the glowing ponds and walking lily pads, or enchanted by Calder bearing his heart to him, he had kissed him. And he was still doing it.

Calder’s lips accepted Laz’s with warmth and hunger. Before he knew it, he felt the knight’s hands on his back and shoulder, which pulled him closer. Laz knew Calder had liked him, but it wasn’t until that very moment that he felt it. That he understood what he had been delaying for months. That he knew he was right to have been worried about distractions.

He’s so warm…

Laz had closed his eyes when he began the kiss, and was too afraid to open them. If he had to look Calder in the eye, during such an intimate moment, he worried it would kill the last bit of resistance he had. He had already slipped up and let himself give in during a moment of weakness, he couldn’t let it spiral out of control.

Why can’t everything be simpler?

He thought of Edre, who had left him with everything to solve for himself. He thought of Irida, who needed him to survive. The townsfolk like Beck and Laurel who would suffer if he didn’t improve his skills and get Evermine back into shape. How could he stand by and be happy with Calder while so many depended on him?

As stress overtook him and he looked to pull away, a lone pulse overtook his attention. Like the beating of the sun that he hated, he could feel it making him hotter and hotter until–

No, wait. I’m cooling down. This… This is nice, actually.

The overwhelming heat he had come to expect was being sapped away the longer he sat in Calder’s embrace, the longer he held the kiss. He had no clue how long they stayed like that, whether it had reached the minute mark or only mere seconds had passed. All he knew was that he no longer cared. It was no longer a source of disarray and worry. Instead, it was comforting. He wanted more of the feeling.

Maybe things actually could be simple. Maybe, with his help…

It was Calder who broke off the kiss. Laz finally opened his eyes and realized he had no idea what to say.

“Ah, sorry, um…” Calder choked out a nervous chuckle, and failed to suppress the grin on his face. “Sorry about that.”

Laz was motionless, Calder’s taste still lingering on his lips, and he hoped the suffocating, stress-laden heat would wait to return. He couldn’t remember the last time he had felt that at peace. Was it before his mentor had left? Had it really been that long?

“You alright there? Laz?”

From his dazed state, Laz shook his head and looked up at Calder. “Why are you apologizing? I kissed you, I wanted to. If anything, I should apologize for how awkward I made things when you tried the same earlier today.”

Calder had never looked more confused. “Well, perhaps. Are you feeling okay? Sure you’re not in the throes of heat stroke?” He held the back of his hand to Laz’s forehead.

“No, no.” Laz pulled the hand down and held it in both of his own hands by his waist. “Listen, I’m sorry for how, um, harsh I can be with you. I hope you know I appreciate everything you’ve done since we met. I hope…”

Laz stared at Calder’s grin. How cocky it had seemed in the past.

Did he change? Or did I get to know him better? Or… did he just win me over?

“I hope you know that, that kiss was a fluke.” Laz stammered and he felt himself growing flustered. “I felt bad, and you kept talking about your life, and, and–”

No, no, this can’t keep happening. He isn’t like that. I told him I would trust him, didn’t I?

Laz swallowed his bratty attitude and doused the fiery words he felt the reflex to say. “Wait, sorry. Again. What I mean is–”

“Here,” Calder said, leading him to face the pond. “The reason I brought you here was to give you the same chance I had. To make a promise to yourself. A wish. So clear your head, figure out what you want, then you can finish what you were going to say.”

It was a relief to Laz that Calder had found an elegant way to shut him up. Another example of his ability to handle pressure well. He would have to keep that in mind the next time his doubts flared up.

“Oh, sure. A wish.” Laz stared at the lily pads drifting around without care. He wondered how they decided where to move, what to aim for.

What do I want? That’s easy, right? I wish to fulfill what my master had planned for me, and to use his spells to save the kingdom. I’ll start with Evermine, and eventually travel from city to city, until famine and plague are gone from here.

He nodded to himself, happy with the goal he had kept in mind since childhood. In the pond, a torn lily pad bumped into a larger one, and lost a part of its leaf. He winced for it, recalling a lesson where his mentor told him plants could feel pain, perhaps even stronger than humans or animals.

It won’t be that easy. Irida complicates things. So, what, should I leave her somewhere safe while I travel? Should I campaign for the king to repeal the archaic laws prohibiting dragons in Kradall? Or do I live as some vigilante, helping cities from the shadows? And what of Calder? He couldn’t follow, should things… develop between us. Will our time together end when I leave Evermine?

Laz felt the overbearing heat boil up within him. His short reprieve had been nice, and he was grateful it lasted as long as it did.

And is helping with food and illness really saving the kingdom? Why did Master Edre put so much emphasis on Exchange Elixir? He must have had a plan for it. Endless gems will only solve so much, and with Irida eating most of them, what was even the point? Maybe my real wish should be for some guidance.

He looked over his shoulder to find Calder faced away, standing guard like he did back at the town gate. Even from behind, he was a comforting sight.

Seems like his wish is going well. Fine, then. I promise to do all I can to make Master Edre proud, and to save the kingdom, whatever that entails. Even if that means accepting that I need his help, and can’t do it alone.

As soon as he thought the words, a trumpet blared through the previously peaceful garden. Laz spun around and saw Calder looking equally surprised.

“What’s that about?” Laz asked. He stepped next to Calder as they both tried to figure out where the noise was coming from.

“I believe that means it’s time for us to head back to the ballroom.” Calder pointed to the crowd by the glowing ponds, lining up by the wooden gate to leave. “Must be an announcement. Makes sense. Having a ball like this with no purpose is unheard of.”

The two quickened their pace to meet up with the others funneling back toward the stone arches.

“What kind of announcement?” Laz whispered when they reached earshot of the strangers. “Like, accolades or something?”

Calder shrugged, though he looked tenser than before. “Can’t say for certain.” He let the conversation end as they continued toward the ballroom, then eventually sighed. “There have been talks of us coming to Pamantia’s aid in their war overseas. Their rulers have been requesting it for years, supposedly. But it’s all rumors. I don’t know what they could offer King Garen to get him to agree to that, anyway. My best guess is that the kingdom can’t afford to keep all the knights we have in the kingdom, and some have to be relieved of service.”

“Can’t afford knights but can afford a ball in the capital?” Laz sounded annoyed.

“It sounds silly, but they see it as a single expense compared to years more of wages. And I don’t know if that’s what it is. Just seems more likely than a war declaration.”

War. Could that really happen? Kradall has been peaceful for centuries, it’s the only thing Master ever complimented the Abols over. What does war even look like for us? Would some of the knights be sent to Pamantia? On their warships to go fight a nation I’ve never heard of? Would Calder go?

Laz fretted his way through the stone arches, and the roaring chatter of the ballroom drowned out his worries. The music had ceased, and up on the speaking platform a dozen or so people were rushing around to place decorative thrones. Around him, he could feel the tone shift. The air wasn’t joyous or whimsical, but soured and upset.

“What happened?” Laz tugged at Calder’s arm, only to spot the annoying knight with the massive ears up ahead, waving them toward him.

“I could ask Notch,” Calder said disappointedly.

Laz groaned. “Fine, but let’s keep it quick.”

When they neared him, he started to turn. “Come on, man! You owe me, remember? My table’s this way. Why’d you disappear when–”

Calder grabbed his shoulder. “Hold on. Do you know anything about this announcement? And why everyone seems so upset?”

“Yeah, yeah, I know, and I’ll tell you once you help me out with Jenn, so come on!” He pulled at Calder’s arm, dragging him away from Laz.

“Fine, fine. One second.” He sighed at Laz. “Please stay here for a moment. I don’t want you to see what I’m about to endure.”

Before Laz could question him, Calder was whisked away through the crowd.

What does that idiot have planned?

He thought about pursuing, but decided he would heed Calder’s request and let him have his privacy. Though, he didn’t intend on staying put. All around him were knights, and their dates, most of whom seemed disgruntled enough to give him the answers he sought. He spotted the know-it-all gentleman from out by the glow ponds and considered asking him, though he doubted the man knew much more than him if they had both arrived at the same time.

Where are Mohs and Strawberry at a time like this? They would know what’s going on.

Deciding to test his luck, Laz walked up to the nearest knight he saw, a tall man with dark facial hair and a few heavy wrinkles on his forehead. Not only was he the closest, he also seemed to be in a drunken, happy state that might make him more talkative.

“Excuse me, sir.” Laz tapped the knight’s shoulder. “What do you know about this announcement? Why is everyone upset?”

The man turned, and Laz noticed an equally drunk and cheerful woman hanging on his elbow. They both looked at each other with a slight frown before he answered.

“Everyone keeps talkin’ about this war in the, er, the ocean stuff, and now they just said the king isn’t speakin’ tonight and and…” The man trailed off, which Laz was thankful for as his breath reeked of ale.

Around him, Laz began to make out a few phrases being exchanged between strangers. People muttering that the king was too good for plain knights, that they hope it’s not a war declaration, that they hope the king is happy up above them.

To Laz, he felt relieved. Surely if war was being declared, the king himself would make an appearance.

Maybe they all know something I don’t, though. There’s a lot about this place that makes no sense.

Again, the royal trumpets blasted through the room, enveloping the whole ballroom. Laz had to cover his ears from how well the sound carried all the way from the platform where he saw them playing. Up in the galleries, he saw the bottom two levels start lining up by the railing, while the top remained empty.

Guess he saw us earlier and decided we weren’t worth it.

The room quieted with the end of the trumpets, and Laz struggled to see over the heads of the others. He noticed the three chairs that had been set up were now filled, and standing before them was a knight, though their armor looked different than any of the others he had seen on city knights or royal guards. It was shinier, with a large golden spot over the chest.

“Hello,” a woman’s voice boomed.

Laz jumped at how loud it was, and he assumed someone was standing behind him. However, when he looked, all he saw were other confused attendees, and knights calming them down.

“As King Garen is very busy, it is now my duty as the royal captain to share his will with you, his subjects.” The voice was deep for a woman, and still resonated through the entire room.

Where is that voice coming from? Laz kept searching for the source as the voice continued.

“Kradall has seen a great era of peace and prosperity under the Abol family.”

There! It’s among the lights!

Above them, the glass orbs that shone light down on them had several that were dull and dark. They were scattered amongst the others, and appeared to be pointless, but Laz pinpointed them as the source of the voice. He was standing directly under one of them, and stepped to the side to confirm.

“But, it is no secret that recent years have seen a decline in our wealth, and our land.”

Sure enough, the sound shifted, and was no longer being sent straight into his skull. Up on the stage, which he had been ignoring, Laz saw a wizard kneeling in front of the knight, holding a focus up to her mouth.

Ah! So that’s it. The wizard casts a spell that sends her voice to the foci up in the ceiling. I wonder if Master’s book has this one.

“That is why King Garen has developed a plan, alongside the three noble houses, to get Kradall back into shape!”

Wait, what is she saying? I should have been paying attention.

Those around Laz were still and quiet. It seemed everyone was waiting to hear if they would join the war or not, and nothing that was said swayed them one way or the other.

The next sound was the royal captain clearing her throat. Laz wondered if she was lacking in confidence with public speaking, or this supposed plan that he couldn’t wait to laugh at.

“You knights, the ones who help our very kingdom run smoothly, will be the ones who help save the kingdom! Our modern times require changes, and you will be the ones to see it out!”

The quiet room only made her seem less sure of what she said. No reaction, good or bad, was likely driving her mad.

I don’t envy her, but she chose to be the king’s lapdog.

“Henceforth, Kradall will begin on this new mission to focus our efforts on our citizens. No longer will we be a loose collection of cities, but now an organized nation that will return to our former success!”

Laz wished he was close enough to see the people on stage any clearer. He could imagine the poor woman sweating more than he usually did.

Three noble houses she said, right? Is that who’s in those thrones?

“Knights! Today marks the start of a new era for our kingdom! The Unity of Kradall will be the greatest project any monarch has ever undertaken! The Abol family has been limiting its power for too long! For the first time, the heads of the other houses will step up and take charge!”

Take charge of what? Is one king not enough already?

A murmur of confusion rippled across the ballroom, but it died out when a flurry of magic sprung into the air. In front of all of them, over the stage, a picture began to form from bright blue lines. It reminded Laz of the symbols that Magic Message created. Only these were not words being formed, but a person. The face of a young, gorgeous woman with decorated eyes and intricately braided hair.

“Minamere! Ruler of the highest house under the king!”

Laz noticed up on stage, one of the people sitting had stood from the throne. Details were hard to notice, but he could see they were wearing an orange robe that matched the orange he saw from the second gallery, and a feminine figure.

Great, now the other nobles want to be worshiped like the king.

The colossal glowing portrait of Minamere faded, and another took its place. This one of an older man, with sagging cheeks and a permanent frown glued to his face. He had strong eyebrows that almost jutted forward.

“Heff! An expert merchant in his prime, and experienced leader of his house!”

Now the woman in the orange was again seated, and a bulky man with broad shoulders was waving. He was cloaked in green.

So these entire houses all match their colors? And they picked those?

The old man faded away and what Laz assumed to be the last portrait began to take shape. As the edges of the face became defined, swooping hair, and weasley smile filled in, Laz almost gasped. He recognized the face.

This has to be a mistake.

“Velter! A man who knows how to inspire those who follow him!”

On stage, a man in a purple cloak took a bow. The same man who had bumped into him earlier.

Of course that man was nobility, I should have known. Who else would act so obscenely?

“With these three leading the way, under King Garen’s careful placement, Kradall will reach new heights!” The captain paused, and while he couldn’t hear it, Laz was certain he saw her taking a deep breath. “Each noble will lead a collection of cities in Kradall, and help them reach their best potential. Each city will now have a noble house backing them directly! This way, the capital’s attention will no longer be divided so heavily.”

More confusion spread through the room. Whispers claiming insanity, idiocy, futility. It got to the point that the royal captain had to speak again, when Laz was so sure she wanted to do anything but.

“Do not be concerned! The Unity of Kradall creates three states in Kradall, with the capital existing under the king solely. We are building something greater! This is our peaceful path forward!”

It had no effect.

“So what, our cities have new rulers?” A man shouted nearby. “Is the king not in charge anymore?”

Cheers of agreement with him rang out, and the crowd began to boo at the stage.

“No, not at all!” The captain said. “With this project, the kingdom can distribute resources to cities in need! The noble heads will help each city create more of what it does best! Trade, education, labor–”

Upon hearing that last word, even more of an outcry echoed in the room.

Through it all, Laz stayed quiet.

Are they serious? They want to divide Kradall? Why?

He saw Calder walking toward him and ran to meet him.

1