Chapter 21 – Another Bribe
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The barracks’ ambience had shifted since returning from the ball. In the few days he had been back, Calder had witnessed more quiet breakfasts, less belly-laughing vibrating through the halls in the evening, and no suggestions of heading to the pub after a shift. At first he wondered if the knights left behind were resentful at not getting to visit the capital, but even Rill, his bunkmate, had been more reserved than usual.

It’s not just me, is it? Did I do something to upset them? I thought we were all on good terms. Even Notch and I should be square after I let him win that dumb arm wrestle.

Calder lay in bed, both worried and excited for the future. While his colleagues may have seemed more distant, it was the day he and Laz were to survey the old mines in search of a new home. He was shocked when Faramond and the mayor agreed with the proposal so readily, but it was approved the same day they had proposed it. Their only requirement was that it had to be in the eastern mountains, and not the mine shafts by the cliffs to the south. That brought no qualms from Laz, who had his sights set on the mountains from the beginning.

Laz said there were a few mountains that had tunnels running through them. I wonder how many we’ll have to inspect before we find the right one? I hope it's a closer one. It’d be terrible to need an hour’s trek through the wilderness just to visit him. And the further away from town he lives, the more danger he could run into. We already have pantry bears wandering into town now, and they’re the biggest cowards you’ll find in the wild. If a braver, more dangerous beast finds him secluded out there… And not to mention bandits…

He shook his head and sat up. Rill had already left to take a bath before he began his work, and while Calder had the whole day off to help Laz, he hoped a good soak could put his mind at ease. He swung his legs over and hopped out of bed, grabbing his dingy linen to dry off with and leaving his room and worries behind.

The hall was empty, with most men already in the bath or eating breakfast. Whiffs of the stove’s fire carried the bland smells of whatever meal was being made in the kitchen. It wasn’t Notch’s turn to cook, which meant Calder was in no rush to eat.

At the end of the hall was the bath. It wasn’t as luxurious as anything in the capital, only twice as big as their bedrooms. With a slippery stone floor, clay and mud walls that barely connected to the rest of the wooden building, and a large basin in the middle that was half-buried. There was some special rock they put underneath to keep heat in and cold out that Calder had been meaning to ask Laz to explain.

Outside of the room, Calder could hear the splashes echo out through the thick curtain that kept out cold and eyes. He hoped that there was room for him. He was one of the bigger bodies in the barracks, only losing out to a few people, one of them being Rill, who he knew was already in there.

“Hey! Perfect timing.” Rill’s familiar voice bellowed at Calder the moment he pulled the curtain back. “Throw another hot stone in here, would ya?”

Calder saw Rill relaxed at the far edge of the basin. With him was Notch, who was avoiding looking directly at Calder, and Quen, a quiet man who had never said much of interest. He breathed a silent sigh of relief as he no longer had to worry about it being overcrowded.

“Sure thing,” Calder said.

He fully entered the room, letting the heavy veil fall back into place. In one corner was a small fire, over which sat a metal grate with a smooth stone being warmed. The fire pit and grate were large enough to heat five rocks at a time, but keeping a fire that large alive, while fighting off stray droplets from killing it, was too much effort to bother with, and the men usually kept it to one stone at a time. Calder grabbed the rock with his towel and lowered it into a small wooden cage at the center of the tub.

The stone hissed, and a burst of steam escaped into the air before calming down. The cage would keep anyone from accidentally brushing against the blistering rock, while heating the water in the entire bath.

“You’re supposed to take out the old stones before you put a new one in,” Notch said. “Now it won’t warm as quickly.”

Calder clicked his tongue. “Right, sorry about that.” He looked into the cage to see two other stones at the bottom, soaking up the new rock’s precious heat. If he tried to fish them out, he would risk burning his hand. “I always forget to check first. Next time, though.”

Notch rolled his eyes, and Calder placed one of the dry stones in a pile by the fire onto the grate, preparing it for whoever next wanted hot water. Despite being a little embarrassed, he was glad they were talking to each other. It was better than the thorny silence that had been overtaking the barracks.

Tired of waiting, Calder grabbed a lump of soap by a bin at the door and pulled off his cotton hose, the only clothing he had bothered to sleep in, and hung them over a support beam along with his linen towel. He stepped into the water, and felt his body thank him as he sank deeper, until he was sitting on one of the small steps underneath. Rill and Quen had matching looks of relaxation on their face, while Notch was scrubbing away at his skin like a madman.

“So you’ve got the day off, right?” Rill spoke without opening his eyes. “Any plans? Spending time with Laz?”

Calder nodded and got to work scrubbing his own body, reminded that he couldn’t waste too much time if he and Laz wanted to be done scouting by nightfall. He rubbed the hunk of soap over his chest as he responded. “That’s right. We’re finding him a good spot to build a new house up in the mountains. Hopefully before any snow falls.”

“Ah, I heard about that,” Quen said. His voice was monotone, a perfect fit for his average build and unstyled black hair. “You’re moving with him to the mines? Why?”

“No, no, I’m not going with him.” Calder tried to hide his disappointment. “Just helping him get settled into a new place that’s away from town. You know how some of his spells can backfire when he’s practicing.”

Notch laughed, much to Calder’s annoyance.

“I don’t know,” Quen continued. “Lately he hasn’t had many incidents, has he? Not since you were stationed to look after him.” He repositioned himself from leaning on one elbow to leaning on the other, sending a soft ripple of water through the tub. “And that new heating stuff he’s been offering people, it seems to have made people forget those mistakes.”

“That’s true.” Rill finally opened his eyes. “Imagine we had one of those spells keeping this room warm. Wouldn’t have to bother with the rocks. Or even my bed, now that winter’s nearly here.”

Calder smiled. “He is good at that, isn’t he? Apparently it’s a pretty complex spell. I bet once he settles into this new home we’re gonna build, he can start learning even more intricate spells. He really is quite a hard worker, and so smart too. He was telling me just yesterday how birds and lizards share the same bestial ancestors. It’s exciting to think–”

He stopped when he noticed all three men looking at him with grins on their faces.

I can’t believe I just gushed about him like that in front of them.

“Well, I always thought you two were a cute pair.” Quen cracked his neck, then his knuckles. “Hey, do you think he could get us a discount on his services? Since you two are together and all, maybe he can knock a few coins off? My room always gets the brunt of the winds at night, and I’d love if it could be a warm breeze instead.”

“Yeah, and what of our room?” Rill asked. “He should want you nice and cozy at night, why hasn’t he come around here for customers?’

Because he despises knights. Even though I know you’re good men, that I can vouch for you, he wouldn’t care. Though I wonder if he would do my room…

“I’ll see if I can convince him,” Calder said. He was surprised Notch didn’t suck up as well, but after all he and Laz had put him through, it made more sense the longer he thought about it. “Hopefully his new home won’t be too far, and he can work in town every day like he does now.”

“You really should just go live with him,” Notch said. He was still scrubbing himself, a cloud of lather building in the water around him.

“Would Faramond be alright with that?” Calder asked.

Though I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I doubt Laz wants me around him all the time, even if things have been going well lately. Maybe I could ask…

“It’s not against the rules for knights to leave the barracks.” Rill was back to relaxing with his eyes shut tight. “What do you think happens when a knight gets married?”

“I guess I hadn't thought about it,” Calder said. He had moved on to scrubbing his legs. “Well then why aren’t any knights in Evermine living with their spouses?”

“Two big things.” Rill scratched at his stomach. “The biggest is that most of Evermine doesn’t like us much. We all know it. Even finding dates for the ball was difficult, and it was a once in a lifetime offer. And the second, of course, is that having us here is a relatively new situation. Knights only started getting stationed here around a decade ago after King Garen wanted to have more safety in the outer cities. I suppose those two reasons are sort of the same. What I’m saying is, they still see us as outsiders.”

“So, would Faramond allow it?” Calder repeated his question.

Rill laughed. “Probably, yes. Even if the mountains are a ways away, it’s still closer than someone living in a bigger city might be. You’re overestimating how big Evermine is.”

Well, it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Their conversation was punctuated by Notch getting out of the bath, splashing water onto the stone floor. As he grabbed his own linen from a hook on the wall and sopped the water from his chest and back before wrapping it around his waist.

“No goodbye?” Rill said, likely not expecting an answer.

Notch looked back, his eyes meeting Calder’s. “Don’t forget it’s your turn to wash towels, even if you do have the day off.”

With that, he left through the curtain.

“Damn, he’s right.” Calder was in the middle of straining to reach a spot on his back when he was reminded. “He better have his in the bin before I’m done.”

I already wasted too much time in bed this morning. I hope Laz won’t mind me being a tad late.

***

 

Calder was alone in the bath when he finished. Rill and Quen left shortly after Notch, in hopes of getting a helping of whatever breakfast he planned on cooking for himself. The water had lost its heat from the stones as Calder stepped out, placing the wet rocks at the edge of the pile to make up for his earlier mistake.

Despite feeling rushed, he was far less worried than before. Instead of stray thoughts about the danger Laz may face in the mountains, he had new ideas to take their place.

Maybe Laz will think it’s a good idea once we’re up there looking around. If I’m lucky, a dire fox will cry out in the distance and remind him what happens in the wild.

He used his hand to wipe as much water as he could onto the floor, before grabbing his towel down and finishing the job. Once his legs were dry, he slipped back into his white hose and left to start his chore.

At the entrance to the hallways, where the male and female wings split, a large wooden bin sat, filled with old towels. Calder ignored the few people in the kitchen staring at him as he scooped them into the baskets hung above it. He was thankful his arms were long enough to carry all four at the same time.

“Put a damn shirt on,” Mohs said as she appeared from the women's wing. She had a towel around her neck which she promptly threw into one of his baskets.

“I just got out of the bath,” Calder said. He kept focused on his task, not looking up at her as she walked by.

“Yeah, whatever.” She was already on the other side of the kitchen, making noise as she scooped herself some soggy rice.

Once all the towels were gathered, Calder loaded the baskets onto his arms, two on each, and headed back to his room so he could be fully clothed as he ventured into town.

Oh, and I can’t forget the payment.

It was rare that a knight washed the towels themselves. Instead, they had figured out a deal with a few local children to have them wash the linens for a couple of coins. Sad as it was, it was the best relationship the knights had with the townsfolk at large.

Calder slipped into his cotton shirt and wrapped a breechcloth around him. He was thankful he had a full day where he didn’t need to wear his armor, especially after being stuck in it at the capital for so long.

Alright, that should be– Oh! Faramond’s isn’t here.

All of the towels were plain, brown sheets of linen, save for the captain’s. His was an embroidered yellow piece that he received upon his promotion. In most cases, if someone didn’t have their towel in the bin by the time it was collected, it was seen as their problem.

Still, I could go check if he’s in his office. It would only take me a few extra seconds. After all he does for us, it would be the proper thing to do. And while I’m at it, I could ask about my living arrangements.

Calder carried the towels down to the end where the captain’s quarters were. He tried to find a way to knock with his arms held in pace by the baskets, but couldn’t figure out any method that wouldn’t risk dumping them onto the floor. Instead, once he noticed the door was open a sliver, called out.

“Captain! I’m gathering towels for washing.” He pushed the door open with his foot as he entered. “Do you want me to take yours as well?”

The wooden door creaked, and immediately Calder saw Faramond at his desk, looking up startled. It was only a blur, but he spotted his hand fly over to a small object and pull it toward him, resulting in a thump in one of his desk drawers.

Was that…?

“Calder! Welcome, come in.” Faramond stood up and ushered him into his quarters. “Towels, you say? Yes, I took a bath last night. It’s hanging right over here.”

Faramond walked to one of the spare chairs in his room and picked up the yellow towel that was hanging over the back of it. He folded it up and held it by his chest.

“Sorry about that, I was planning on putting it in the bin but had some paperwork I had to figure out and fell asleep at my desk. Finally finishing up now.” Faramond walked over and gently set his towel into one of the baskets hanging off Calder’s arms.

Calder himself felt frozen. His mind was racing with thoughts of what he saw on his captain’s desk when he entered. He was split on if he should believe himself or not, when he realized he needed to respond.

“Ah, sorry for barging in. My hands are a little preoccupied.” Calder decided he was mistaken about what he saw, and started to relax. “I hope Laz’s decision to move didn’t cause you too much extra work.”

“No, don’t be a fool, that’s already all figured out.” Faramond looked back at his desk repeatedly as he spoke. “If anything I’m glad to hear our town’s wizard is making plans to further his research! And getting people used to the idea of utilizing the old mines all over the place is actually…” He trailed off.

The cliff mines? Is that what’s going on? Is that why…

Calder swallowed down more doubts. “Well, I’m excited to help him out. He wants to help Evermine, and this seems like the best way to do it.”

Faramond was beaming. “I’m happy to hear that, I really am.” He set a hand on Calder’s shoulder. “I know you’re still young, and haven’t been a full-fledged knight very long, but I see a lot of potential in you, Calder. If you keep at it, I could see you being a captain someday.”

The words entered Calder’s ears at a terrible time. Even a minute ago he would have given anything to hear that his idol saw something in him. The man who he had tried to emulate since he began his training was giving him what he wanted, but instead of accepting the compliment and being happy, overjoyed even, he was deliberating. In his mind, he was coming to terms with what he saw, what he knew for a fact, and what he wanted to be true.

“Th– Uh, right, thank you very much, captain.” The baskets on his arms felt twice as heavy.

There must be something I’m missing. I could bring it up, maybe he would have a good explanation for it all. But then why did he hide it?

“I’m serious,” Faramond continued. Despite being a touch shorter than Calder, he held himself in such a way that he could make anyone feel small. “Things will change around here soon, and that means we’ll need to get more serious. I know life in Evermine has been lazy until now, but that won’t last much longer. I’ll need strong knights, knights like you, working closely with me.”

As torn as Calder was, he couldn’t help but perk up.

He wants us to work together! But changes. What changes?

Calder forced a smile and a nod. “I would love that! I’m excited to… help Evermine flourish.”

Faramond seemed satisfied, and went back to his desk. “We can speak more on this later, just know that I have high expectations from you.”

“Of course, sir.” Calder couldn’t move his feet. “I’ll… We’ll work… I’ll take care of these towels.”

“Yes, I’ll leave you to it.” Faramond laughed, then looked down at his desk. “Can you please close the door tightly as you leave? I have to finish this up.”

“On it,” Calder said as he regained control of his limbs. He did as ordered, leaving the captain’s quarters, even setting down the baskets to make sure the door was closed as a door can be.

Working with Faramond… The youngest captain in the kingdom sees potential in me! But…

He hung the laundry back on his arms and walked briskly to the barracks’ entrance.

That was a coin purse on his desk. A fat one. With the same royal crest that Velter wore when he visited. Is he taking bribes from him? Is that just how payments will be now with him in charge? But why hide it? Is it more than he wants us to think he earns? And the old cliffside mines, what’s the problem with them? I didn’t even wonder why Laz wasn’t allowed to build his house there, but it was non-negotiable.

Calder shook his head as he passed through the entrance and felt the sun shine on him. He didn’t know what to think, but he knew he wanted to discuss it with Laz.

1