Chapter 2 – The Error
58 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calder wasted no time getting on Laz’s nerves. The young knight took deliberate, agonizing steps toward the desk, his hands held behind his back. If someone had never met him, they might make the false assumption he was a dignified man. An exemplary knight, through and through.

Laz knew better. He tried to ignore the encroaching distraction and stay focused on his spell. The boiling water would have to be used before too much evaporated. As he tried to pour the perfect amount of spirits into his second glass, Calder’s footsteps thumped through the floorboards. They shook the desk, all of the equipment, and reverberated straight into Laz’s skull.

That giant buffoon… Laz blamed himself, partially. If he could control his emotions, the anxiety that pulsed through him whenever Calder was around, then none of it would matter. That fact didn’t make the quaking desk any easier to work on, however.

“I’m going for accuracy with this recipe, so if you could please refrain from stomping around.” Laz didn’t try to hide his annoyance in the slightest.

“Drinking this early in the day?” Calder sounded closer now, but Laz refused to turn and pay him any attention.

“Well, aren’t you hilarious,” Laz said under his breath.

Calder cleared his throat. “Sorry, I had no intention of messing with your work. Carry on.”

Huh, maybe he’s learned his lesson, Laz thought. He resumed pouring as the footsteps ceased. If he stays put and keeps his mouth shut I might actually make some progress today.

“But I still have to perform my duty,” Calder said.

Laz sighed and held his face in his hands. “Fine then. Let’s get on with it.”

“What spell are you attempting to perform today?” Calder’s voice was firm and professional, the only time that ever happened.

“The same as the last dozen times you asked,” Laz said. “Exchange Elixir.

Calder grew louder the longer he spoke. “And will this have any adverse effects on the town of Evermine?”

“It won’t if you let me finish making the elixir in peace.” Laz heard a small chuckle from behind him.

“Alright, last question. What’s your favorite color?”

Laz groaned. “Stop trying to get to know me, I’m not looking to make friends.” He lifted up his head and dumped the glass of alcohol into the boiling jar.

“Aw come on, Lazzy.” Calder’s serious tone vanished and he returned to his usual lighthearted way of speaking. “You stay cooped up in here all day, you must be lonely. The only people you ever talk to are customers.”

“I just told you, I don’t need friends.” Laz grabbed the small vial of raven lily nectar he harvested the night before and searched around for his dropper. “And never call me Lazzy agai–”

He was interrupted by a hand appearing in his vision, reaching for a strand of hair that came loose from his ponytail. Laz spun around in his chair. It was Calder’s hand. Rough and powerful from years of combat training, suddenly right in front of him. The knight had somehow gotten right behind Laz without him noticing at all.

“Sorry,” Calder said, backing off once the strand was tucked behind Laz’s ear. “Thought it might be bothering you. You were saying?”

Laz’s heart would not stop pounding. Damn imbecile scared me half to death. If I had dropped the vial of nectar it would have ruined the whole day!

“The only thing bothering me is you, got it?” Laz stood up and met Calder’s eyes. 

Even though the knight was taller than him, he didn’t back down. He tried to not look at Calder for too long as the mere sight of him could get him heated, but he finally had enough. Unfortunately for him, he saw no fear in the eyes of the idiotic knight. He simply looked amused.

Who am I kidding, I can’t take this guy. What did I get myself into? He lifted his wrist and set his hand on the blue gem in his bracelet. If things get ugly, I’ll try that other spell.

Calder didn’t move. He just stared back with a dumb smile on his face. The longer Laz looked at him the more upset he got. His stupid brown eyes, no critical thinking at all behind them, pretty as they were. And his confident smirk. Laz wagered he had never struggled for anything in his life. All he knew were the comfortable barracks and guaranteed food that came with serving under the king.

“I really didn’t mean anything by it,” Calder said, breaking the awkward silence. “I’ll keep my hands to myself, promise. Unless you ask otherwise.”

Laz scoffed. “As if. Now back up, I have real work to do.” He sat back at his desk and spotted the dropper amongst his other equipment.

Calder obliged and stood two full steps away from the desk. Much closer than Laz would have preferred but at least he wouldn’t be in reach of him.

“Oh, by the way,” the knight said.

This guy just will not shut up.

“I saw young Bek leaving as I came up the path. Is everything alright with him? I know his grandmother was sick last week.”

With a defeated sigh, Laz set the dropper back down. I’m impressed he knows so much about the townsfolk.

“I’m to visit his family’s farm later today and keep the crops warm with a spell.” Laz could have dropped it there but wanted to get another dig in. “It’s basically the only thing I’m known for, was it that hard to guess?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing you’re known for,” Calder said with stifled sarcasm.

Laz looked up at the hole in his ceiling and frowned. “It was one simple mistake, and I paid the price for it.”

“The problem was when the fireball came down. You’re lucky it was raining or we might not have a tailor anymore.”

“Yes, and I paid her more than enough coin to cover the damages.” Laz hoped Calder couldn’t see the embarrassment on his face from where he was standing.

Calder kept going. “Then what about the week in early springtime when that black haze covered the town. It was a whole seven days of night!”

“That… was regrettable, yes. But it was before any crops had sprouted, so it didn’t affect their growth. Now, shut up so I can–”

“Oh god, and the mosquitoes!” Calder didn’t acknowledge Laz’s plea to stop and laughed through his words. “I think I counted almost thirty bites on me that first night.”

“Well, luckily the failure after that dealt with it. The frogs ate all of them and now we have less pests than ever before.”

The knight’s laughter subsided. “Ah, fair enough. Though the frogs are still here and the croaking can make it a pain to sleep on a warm night.”

“Are you finished?” Laz asked. The glowing text on his notes were beginning to fade as their time expired, and repeating Magic Message in front of Calder sounded like a pain. “Mock me all you like when I’m finished with my work.”

“All I meant, Laz, was that there’s a reason I was tasked with watching over you.” He said the wizard’s name with pointed emphasis. “It’s not like I’m here on a whim or to suppress your freedom.”

As much as Laz wanted to finish up the elixir and move on, he couldn’t let Calder’s words go unopposed. Once again, he stood up and walked over to stand in the knight’s face. The absolute nuisance looked down at Laz, took off his helmet, and ran his hand over his hair. He kept it slicked back, as most of the knights did in recent times. The dark, rusty auburn color made him easy to spot in a crowd and persisted in Laz’s thoughts.

Of course a bothersome heat source would have fiery hair. It suits him perfectly. And to think I almost complimented it the first time we met.

The first day Laz had to work under Calder’s watch, he found it strange but accepted the terms. Some company would keep him from going insane, even if it slowed him down. Of course, his entire mindset changed when he actually got to know him.

He’s more interested in talking and having fun than doing his job. Any knight other than him would stay quiet and let me work.

Laz hated how sure of himself Calder was. How he would kill for that type of confidence.

“If you think that then you’re a fool,” Laz said. “You’re nothing more than one of the king’s guard dogs. You trained in the capital, you know nothing about this town or its people and if push came to shove, you would abandon us.” He shocked himself with his venomous words as they came out of him.

Calder’s entire face dimmed; something Laz had never witnessed. Did I go too far? I suppose at the end of the day we’re both about the same age and dealing with the same struggles. Though while I set my sights on study and magic, he trained his skills and muscles.

He looked over Calder’s steel garments. There were some parts held together with leather straps, where the man himself could be seen beneath the armor. His arms had to have been twice if not three times the thickness of Laz’s. A vision of Calder swinging his sword to protect the town played in his head. It didn’t seem too far-fetched that it could happen some day. One of the kingdoms that neighbored them was in a constant war and there was a lingering fear that King Garen would enter it. The fear was compounded by their own dying farmlands and barren mines.

Calder would be a good man to have on our side, if it came to that. He has the right build for it. Even his jawline is sharp and–

Laz realized he had been silent for too long, while the man in front of him looked disheartened and hurt by his words. “Um, sorry. I don’t really think that.”

“I understand,” Calder said. He rubbed the helmet in his hands and sighed. “Not everyone trusts us. And you need your space to work without being bothered.”

Wow, did I have him all wrong? Laz was on the verge of smiling.

Almost.

Then Calder grinned. “So, how about you let me take you on a date? Then I can ask you all the questions I want while you aren’t working.”

And immediately, all of the empathy Laz was feeling for him washed away. He huffed in disbelief. “As if! And– You can’t just– You’re the worst knight in the whole kingdom, I swear!”

“If it goes poorly I’ll ask my captain to assign someone else as your guard. And then we don’t have to talk to each other ever again, alright?”

Laz refused to believe that he was serious. He’s toying with me. I’ll bet the other knights put him up to this as some kind of joke! All to mock the loner wizard who they suspect fancies men. But, having Calder out of my hair for good…

“No, sorry.” Laz went back to his desk and grabbed his sweat cloth. Their conversation had made the heat unbearable. “Even if it would mean I was rid of you, I don’t have the time. If I’m not working on my research or helping someone in town, it’s not worth it.”

Calder tapped his fingers on his helmet. “Aw come on, you should let yourself have some fun now and again. You’ll go insane if you stay in here all your life. Maybe you already have.”

“I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks. I’m going to help this town and everyone in it no matter what.” He sat down and silently hoped the elixir hadn’t boiled too long.

“Well you’re a part of this town too, aren’t ya? So maybe once a week you could spare a few hours to make yourself happy.”

Laz thought for a moment before realizing what he meant. “And what makes you think going on a date with the likes of you would be what makes me happy?”

“Because you didn’t say you didn’t want to go on a date with me, you only said you couldn’t.” Even without looking, Calder’s grin could be heard through his voice.

“I’m ignoring you for the rest of the day,” Laz said as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

Calder didn’t pay his declaration any mind. “And how can you get that hot when it’s so cold in here? I’m in leather-lined armor and still feel a bit of a chill while you’re in nothing more than a robe.”

“I overheat easily, that’s all there is to it. Cooling down my room was the reason I bothered to learn Climate Control in the first place.”

“That’s what you call your temperature spell?”

Laz frowned to himself, realizing he was caught in another conversation after saying he was finished. “That’s what my master called it, and he taught me how it was done. It would be disrespectful to change the name.”

At last, the chatty knight didn’t respond. Laz took a deep breath and filled the dropper with the nectar. Four drops, he told himself. With a gentle squeeze he expelled four drops of nectar, one at a time, into the boiling elixir.

And now for the–

“Why didn’t you use enough?” Calder asked.

Laz debated ignoring him, but his question was too intriguing. “What are you talking about?”

“That magic writing says to use nine drops, but I only saw you put in four.”

“No, it says four.” Laz was too exhausted to sound annoyed and instead lectured him with the same passive voice his mentor would use when explaining magic concepts. “I’ve been honing this recipe for over a year now. Every mistake has taught me something new. The fireballs meant I used too much alcohol, the black haze was when I didn’t boil it enough, the mosquitoes and frogs were the result of me figuring out the correct lily’s nectar to use, as my wise master left very cryptic notes for me to go off of, and at least three types of lilies grow in the muddy spot of his garden!” He couldn’t maintain the calmness his mentor did and found himself shouting in frustration by the end.

“Oh, so this is new nectar or something?” Calder was unfazed by his outburst.

Laz didn’t want to admit he had been using the raven lily nectar for the past two months of trials and while there were no explosions or swarms of summoned insects, nothing had been happening. The only reason he kept using it was because he had used every other type of lily that grew in mud and raven lily was the only one that didn’t result in disaster. That, and the large gemstone he used to cast the spell, which his mentor referred to as his “fortified focus,” would stay warmer longer when he tried it. A warm focus was a sign of a successful spell.

Unfortunately, that meant Laz didn’t have the highest hopes for the spell succeeding. He had tried tweaking how he thought about the spell, spent more time studying the ways to tie magic together, and even reading a book he found amongst the sprawled notes that would supposedly help him strengthen his will. It was all he could hope would work.

Which was why he was scared to turn and look at the notes. There’s no way it’s a nine. It’s not possible. If I were to make a mistake like that…

He swallowed his pride and glanced at the notes again. The symbol looked like a four. But, it also looked like a nine.

“Do you see what I mean?” Calder asked. “Like yeah it’s kind of messy but I’d definitely say that’s a–”

“Calder, do you really think some meathead only good for swinging around a big sword, would be able to understand a complicated spell like this?” Laz was panicking. If that really was a nine written in the notes, then what else had he misread? How much could he have helped the town if he knew that from the beginning?

“So you do know my name!”

“That shouldn’t have been your takeaway.” 

“Well, it really looks like a nine to me. That’s all I’m saying.”

I can’t just not try it because it was his suggestion. If this is what I’m missing then I owe it to the townsfolk, to Master, to my last two years of research. He thought of Bek and his family, struggling to grow food and afford medicine. He thought of the torment he had put the town through as he worked on the spell. If this works, he’ll never let me hear the end of it. But I'll do it for them.

“Alright, if you’re so sure then I’ll try nine drops.” Laz blotted his whole face dry with his rag. “But you’ll take responsibility if something blows up.”

Before the knight could agree, Laz released five more droplets of nectar into the bubbling concoction. Nothing looked different. He hesitated for a moment before setting his hand on the large indigo focus. This is the first time I’m not sure if I want to succeed. Not that my hopes have ever mattered when it comes to pulling off a spell.

He recalled all of the studying he had done since childhood. The nights he couldn’t sleep and would light a candle to read about methods for making spells, written by his own mentor.

He combined it with the love he had for the town that raised him and forgave his mistakes. The joy he felt when he performed his first spell. The anger that churned inside him when he saw strife he couldn’t fix.

Once he had all of those things ready, he willed them from his heart, down his arm, and through his hand. They swirled together inside the focus as he continued to push them together and weave into a new vision.

The focus grew warmer. Laz thought over and over in his head, Exchange Elixir. It wouldn’t help the spell now, but it would make it easier to recall those specific ideas and memories in the future, should it work. As the heat in the gem reached a peak, Laz hoped it was properly assembled and sent it out toward the jar.

And the wizard and the knight found themselves unable to speak for the first time that day, as they stared at the jar, now filled to the brim with precious gemstones.

4