Chapter 12 – Morning Dance
17 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the regular residents of Evermine, it was an average autumn day. Most of the leaves had fallen from the trees, and those that remained were brown and curled. But for a select group of knights, as well as their dates, the day of the ball had finally arrived.

Calder walked from window to window in Laz’s lab, making sure each was locked and secure. It was his third time doing it that morning, but it was all he had left to do. Laz had locked himself away in his room to take a bath and get dressed, making it clear Calder was not to take any peeks.

As he pulled tight on the last window and redrew the curtains, Irida jumped into his arms. “Hey, easy girl. You’re getting pretty big, I’m gonna start needing a warning so you don’t knock me over!”

The dragon simply purred and rubbed her dense skull against his stubble. Calder had to keep his arms cradled under her torso so she wouldn’t drop to the floor. Her hind legs had been getting stronger every day, and her habit of jumping around to make use of them had caused some panic in her two caretakers.

She’ll only keep growing, wanting more freedom. This could be our last chance to leave her by herself. Maybe we shouldn’t even risk it. I could cancel, tell Faramond I’ve caught a cold.

He knew Laz wouldn’t like that. It was strange how excited the wizard was to go on their date. When Calder brought up the dangers of leaving Irida alone to him the day before, he brushed them off, insisting that they go on their trip to the capital. According to him, they would only be gone for a day and half, and Irida was bound to sleep for most of it anyway. And with the surplus of gems Laz prepared, she wouldn’t have any need to try and break out.

“You’re going to remember to ration your food, right?” Calder glanced at the massive pile of treasure in the corner of the lab. They had picked out any chains and bracelets and left her with a four day supply of food. “We’ll be gone until dusk tomorrow, so please, behave.”

She blinked at him, her yellow eyes and angular pupils as innocent as ever. He had to wonder if dragons were actually capable of understanding humans. Hunting dogs could understand simple orders, and dragons were much more impressive beasts than them.

“It’ll be fine!” A call came from behind Laz’s bedroom curtain. Faint splashes against the side of the tub could be heard as he spoke.

Calder crept close to the curtain, careful not to rustle it. “Right, sure. And how’s your bath going? Ya fall asleep in there yet?”

Another bit of sloshing came from his room. “Well, it would be a lot better if you’d bothered to properly clean the tub when you were done using it. I bought the thing earlier this year and it’s already rusting through.”

“I clean it fine,” Calder said. Irida shifted in his arms, nearly leaping through the curtain, but he pulled her into his chest plate and she settled back down. “Maybe you should have bought a higher quality tub.”

Laz grumbled and the conversation ended.

Under different circumstances, Calder would have thought nothing of it. Though as it stood currently, he had to wonder if the wizard was upset. I’m a dunce. I should have at least waited until the ball.

As much as he tried to block out the memory of their early morning incident, it kept torturing him. The look on Laz’s face, the awkward silence that remained afterward. Even if Laz was acting normal again, it wouldn’t leave him alone.

 

***

 

Calder had arrived at Laz’s house before the sun had risen that day. They were to prepare Irida’s food together, with Laz harvesting raven lily nectar and brewing up buckets of elixir while Calder sorted out the gems from anything that might clog the dragon’s gullet. It didn’t bother Calder, who was used to staying up late for his gate-watch shifts, but Laz was more of the pampered sort, rarely leaving his bed without feeling fully refreshed.

Still, their plan worked and after an hour or so of labor they had the gems ready. The whole time, Irida had watched them with intrigue, taking breaks to jump up on tables and shelves as she exercised her new legs, threatening to knock over the candlesticks that allowed them to work so early.

“I don’t see how you aren’t worried about leaving her alone for almost two days,” Calder said. “She’s never been this active.”

Laz – who was sitting exhausted with his head on his desk – sighed. “It’s our only option, isn’t it? We can’t take her with us obviously, and asking someone to watch after her is… Well, it’s insane!” He lifted his head and swung around to face Calder. “Even if we trusted someone else in town enough to not say anything, which I’m not sure I do, it would be putting them at risk in our place. Out of the question.”

“We could stay home, you know. It’s not a requirement for me to go, let alone you.”

“This was your idea in the first place.” Laz glared at him. “The ball, the date. All of it. You must have considered that– Oh who am I kidding, of course you didn’t think it through.”

Calder laughed, happy that Laz was finally knowing him well enough. “I know, I’m a big dumb meathead, I understand. But I’m giving you a chance to back out, and you aren’t taking it.”

“If you’re so worried then cancel. But you aren’t taking that option either.”

I… I should cancel. It would be responsible. Calder knew it was pointless to talk himself out of it. A date with Laz was impossible to pass up, even if it came with risks.

Laz spoke up again, perhaps worried that Calder was actually considering it. “But I don’t think you need to worry. You should be more afraid of having to dance with me in public.”

“Why would I fear that?”

“Because,” Laz said with an averted gaze. “I’ve… never really danced before. It’s not something Master Edre thought was necessary. I’m not even sure if he knows how.”

Calder didn’t know if it was all a plot to distract from their previous discussion, nor did he care. If he wants to play me then I’ll happily be his victim.

“Well, we finished up early.” Calder walked over from the pile of gems and held out his hand. “I could teach you one or two things before we head out. So you don’t look quite as ridiculous out there.”

Laz’s feigning of anger was preceded by a quick blush. “Aren’t you so kind.” Despite his sarcasm, he accepted Calder’s hand, much to the knight’s surprise. “Fine, then. Let’s see if you even know what you’re doing.”

“I promise you, I’m much more coordinated than your average meathead.” He pulled Laz out of his seat and to the center of the room.

After a short yelp, Laz steadied himself on his feet. He refused eye contact, much to Calder’s disappointment, though it was what he expected. The next few seconds were clumsy. A hand on Laz’s shoulder was met with a hesitant flinch, leaving no chance that Calder would risk one on the waist. An attempt to step in time together left Laz stumbling and stomping on his own foot.

Calder knew he had to speak up. “If you don’t want to–”

“No! Teach me. I– Sorry, I’ll stop being an idiot.” He scrunched his face tight and took a deep breath, finally releasing it and looking Calder in the eyes. “Let’s try again.”

“Alright.” Calder cautiously moved his hand to Laz’s shoulder again, this time with success. “Don’t look down, you’ll get disoriented. Just move the same direction as I do, it’ll all flow naturally if you let it.”

“I doubt it’s that easy,” Laz muttered.

Calder thought to respond, but was instead captured by Laz’s eyes. I’m really holding him, he’s really looking at me. The candlelight surrounding them was slowly but surely being aided by the white hue of morning. If allowed, Calder would have stood there all day.

“Hey, come on, you said I should follow your movements, so move!” Laz’s annoyance was as cute as it was obvious.

With no more than a second to collect himself, Calder stepped back, guiding Laz’s hand and shoulder to follow. Laz was late to follow, but not enough to cause another trip up.

He’s so soft…

Another step, now to the right. Calder was experienced enough to check the floor with his peripheral and not worry about tripping on a stray jar or dragon tail. Laz was quicker to follow, but still late.

His face, his eyes…

It was time to get a little trickier, and Calder began to step forward, just enough to signal to Laz that it was his turn to make room. While it wasn’t elegant, Laz took the hint and stepped back, though further than he should have. Calder hoped Irida was getting a good show in the dim light.

“You’re doing really well,” Calder whispered as they got into a pattern. Step back, step right, step forward, step left. It wasn’t pretty, but with ale, music, and a crowd it would get the job done.

Laz smiled until he caught himself. “I guess it isn’t as hard as I thought. Though I imagine it gets more complicated than this.”

“Yeah, this is very beginner friendly, but that’s alright. It shows you learn quickly.”

“That’s sweet, but I’m probably too clumsy for anything further.” Laz peeked down at their feet before shooting his head back up, likely remembering Calder’s advice. “I’m still struggling to keep up with this.”

If only I could make him more confident. He doesn’t know how impressed everyone is with him. The only wizard in Evermine, doing whatever he can to keep everyone safe, healthy, and well-fed. If he wanted to learn to dance well he could.

“Once you get used to moving with someone, everything else about it gets easier.” Calder slid his hand to the back of Laz’s shoulder and pulled him an inch closer while they continued in their pattern.

“Calder, you’re very close you know.” Despite clear embarrassment in his voice, Laz didn’t look away like he tended to. “It’s a waste of time to teach me this much, anyway. It’s only one night, and I’m afraid I don’t have the rhythm it takes to amaze your friends the way you were probably hoping–”

“That’s not true.” Calder stopped their stepping routine. “Laz, you’re so talented, and inspiring. You’re the heart of this town, even if you don’t realize it.”

“Don’t be an idiot. Did you forget how we met? How I hurt the town so much I needed to be watched? I’m the fool of Evermine, the weird outcast who is allowed to stay because I help the farmers.” He tried to pass off his pain as snark, but his eyes betrayed him.

Calder coughed in exasperation. “That’s not true, Laz. You’re smart, you help people. And you’re easily the best-looking wizard I’ve ever seen, if that helps.”

“Yeah?” Laz asked in amusement. “How many have you seen that aren’t old geezers? That’s hardly a compliment.”

“I’ve seen a few at the capital,” Calder said. He began to laugh. “And you’re right, most of them are old and do very little to improve their appearance, so there’s not a lot of competition.” He felt the hand he had on Laz’s shoulder get warmer as his mind came up with new ideas. “But I mean it. You’re beautiful.”

An inerasable grin appeared on Laz’s face. “Then, thank you. Maybe I haven’t said it enough – or at all – but you’ve been a big help through all of…” He gestured to the jewels in the corner and then to Irida who was silently watching them from the desk. “Everything. You made it all bearable, and I’m not sure I could have pulled it off without your help. No, I definitely couldn’t. Thanks.”

He’s adorable. He’s so soft and sweet and…

Before Calder knew it, he was leaning forward, ready to kiss Laz.

And also before he knew it, Laz was five feet away from him.

“The– Wow, the time, morning came here fast.” Laz skittishly walked across the room to his bedroom. “If we’re gonna be ready in time then I have to start my bath now. Feel free to change in the spare room!” And with that, he closed his room’s curtain.

What is wrong with me… Without wanting to answer himself, he yanked his rucksack from the floor and headed to the other room to change into his armor.

 

***

 

The mirror in Laz’s bedroom was being generous that day. As Laz inspected himself, he didn’t find a single flaw to worry about on his face or neck. Below, his chest had a few hairs on it which he considered shaving away.

No, that’s admitting someone might see them. My gown covers that low, so there’s no need.

The raggedy towel he wrapped around his hips was enough to keep him warm in the ever-cooling autumn after his middling bath. After an awkward scene with Calder, it was enough to unwind and forget it. Not to mention rejuvenating after such little sleep.

Oh well, the ride to the capital will take all day. I’ll sleep then.

Laz turned to his bed, where his undergarments were neatly laid out. It was enough cotton to prevent any personal areas from revealing himself in his gown, while also scarce enough to not overheat him. Even in the late autumn, he didn’t want to become a sweaty mess during his only chance to see the capital.

He replaced the towel with the dark cotton. If there was a worst time for Calder to barge in, it would have been then.

Why am I thinking about that? He has me all out of sorts from this morning.

Next on the bed was his gown, which he began to don. A traditional piece that Laurel had sewn herself through a combination of diagrams in old notes and custom requests from Laz. It was black, though that was the most plain thing about it. Long flowing sleeves, a mix of sheer and solid material that made it hard to tell the true shape of his silhouette, and drew everyone’s attention to him when his arms moved. It draped over his shoulders, converging below his neck, just high enough to hide his sparse chest hair. From his waist, it drew in, then glided down his narrow hips and thighs before resting on the floor.

It was perhaps gaudier than most wizard attire, but it met all the qualifications. I wonder if I’ll be the only wizard at the ball. Surely some of those employed at the capital will make an appearance. And knights from all over the kingdom will be there. Calder and I can’t be the only ones who… I’m sure there will be others. Maybe they’ll have a lead in finding Master Edre.

Those were his two main motivations for visiting the capital, even if it meant risking Irida being discovered. Finding his mentor, and wearing his gown. One of them weighed heavier than the other, but he had the thing sitting in a box for half a decade, desperate for a chance to wear it, and didn’t want to miss it.

All I’m missing are the gems to adorn it. Master said that back when the earthspring was healthy and the mines were plentiful, a wizard’s gown had anywhere from ten to thirty gems on it. I can’t imagine what that would look like.

He looked in the mirror again, now in his full attire. He checked different angles and poses, excited for his first chance to wear it out of his home. His imagination went to work picturing various gemstones throughout it.

And to think I have a hundred gems in the room over. One day I could actually see how it was meant to exist. Now that would be beautiful.

Calder’s earlier words brought warmth to Laz’s face. He began to wonder what Calder would think of his outfit. If he would like how it fit, if he would make fun of it and call it a dress, if he find himself unable to look away and–

I could have handled things with him better. I should have. But still, it isn’t the time for us to be doing things like that. Maybe once we’ve found out what to do with Irida, maybe if we can help Evermine from rotting into the bog, maybe if Master comes back… But not until then.

Laz untied his hair and let it gracefully hang past his shoulders. He had managed to keep it dry throughout his bath and barely had to adjust it, leaving one thing left to do.

“And right in the nick of time, I’m ready,” he called through the curtain before pushing it to the side.

In the lab, Calder and Irida turned to him. Calder’s usual dumb, cocky face shifted to a stunned, equally dopey face. Irida followed Calder’s lead.

All they’re doing is staring…

The longer the silence dragged on, the more Laz thought about throwing one of his leather shoes at them. “Come on, say something!”

Irida responded before Calder, running up and hopping into Laz’s arms. The dainty wizard was barely able to hold her without falling over. “That’s something, at least,” he said through strained breaths. “And now you complete the outfit.” He silently laughed at his joke he knew nobody else would understand.

“Here, I got her.” Calder broke his silence and took the heavy dragon from his date’s arms. “Hopefully she’ll start to realize she’s too big for that. That, or you learn a spell to mend broken bones.”

“I wouldn’t count on it. She’s not the smartest, maybe you’ve noticed.” Laz twisted his mouth as he pondered. “Though a stronger healing spell would be great to have. Once we’re home, maybe I’ll scour the spellbook… It’s about time I started working on my next spell now that Exchange Elixir is complete.”

“Ah, yeah. I was joking, but that would be handy.” Calder’s cadence was off, as if he was hiding something.

Is he that upset by me shutting down his kiss? Well, he shouldn’t have assumed I would want to do anything like that! His fault for his own ego.

“If we’re ready then–”

“Actually,” Calder interrupted. “Before we go, I wanted to give you something.”

Better not be another kiss.

Despite his urge to be sarcastic, Laz was curious. “Oh, alright. Go ahead, then.”

Calder reached into his beaten rucksack and retrieved a small handful of cloth wrapped around a mysterious object.

“I sort of found this the first day Irida hacked up those chains and stuff, and… Here.” He shyly held the parcel in front of him.

Huh? Jewelry, then?

Laz felt flustered, unable to make the snide remarks he knew would keep things tame between them. With no other choice, he accepted the gift and removed the cloth.

Inside was his bracelet. The one he had since being discovered in Evermine, that he had worn nearly every day of his life, that he thought was gone forever. It wasn’t unchanged, though. Where the sapphire used to be, instead was radiant emerald.

“Is this really mine?” He choked on his words, no longer caring if Calder saw him being emotional or sincere.

Calder nodded. “I thought, since you liked that emerald so much when ya saw it back then, it would make a good replacement. And, it kind of matches your eyes.” His confidence must have returned upon Laz seeing the gift, as he had no wavering or doubt as he spoke.

This… I can’t believe he thought to do something like this.

Laz slid his wrist through the familiar band and admired the spectacular green gem. “Calder, it’s–”

From outside, the sound of brass trumpeting with no care for late sleepers echoed through town. Irida sat up on alert. Laz recognized it as the royal carriages arriving. He also recognized it meant they were late.

“We have to get to the barracks,” Calder said, on the same page as Laz. “They won’t wait very long.”

The two said their goodbyes to Irida and stepped outside, checking once more that all doors and windows were locked and impossible to see through. Then, their next obstacle made itself apparent.

“Wait, the mud!” Laz said. “It rained last night and I won’t be able to go quickly in this gown without it getting ruined.”

Calder’s signature cocky grin worried Laz. “If you promise not to get upset, I can get us there in time.”

2