Chapter 16 – Luxuries of the Castle
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bustling aura of the ballroom reminded Calder why he didn’t complain about being stationed in Evermine. It had its moments, but the constant barrage of noises, lights, and misplaced elbows made him already yearn for his peaceful bed in the barracks. Or Laz’s bed, if he had the choice, but he wasn’t in a picky mood.

Am I really going to starve to death, in the capital of all places?

Calder held his stomach as he walked in defeat, back to where he left Laz. His quick chat with the servant was brushed off, as they were already bringing food to musicians that were on break. There had been an unfortunate void of music playing, which Calder hadn’t noticed until it was pointed out. At the last ball he attended, the air was filled with jaunty melodies from some of the most talented in the capital. Without it, he was beginning to feel a sense of unease amongst everyone.

Only a few couples were dancing, with most of the attendees huddled in groups around the room, floating around without purpose. The royal guards were larger in number and had new helmets that left them more as imposing decorations than trusted protectors. It hadn’t even been a year since Calder had left, and already the place felt foreign. He hoped that it was in his head, and that when the musicians’ break finished, some normalcy would return.

Through the crowd, Calder spotted Mohs. Her golden braid, along with Strawberry’s bright pink dress, guided him back through the shifting masses of people. They were standing at a small round table with a silver tablecloth. And they had food.

“Did I miss something?” Calder asked as he watched Strawb eat a small tart filled with a blue jam.

Mohs nodded and held up a large tankard. “You sure did.” She took a swig of her drink.

Calder looked at it longingly. The ale here gets you crocked so much easier…

The table, small as it was, had a larger variety of food on it than Calder had seen since arriving in Evermine. A platter of pastries filled with custard and jellies, a clay jar of wheat porridge with roast seeds on top, a small bowl of plump grapes, and half a loaf of fresh bread. And in the center of it all, a small roast mountain quail. And their tiny table was one of over a hundred along the edges of the ballroom.

His preference for Evermine faltered.

“We don’t need all of it,” Strawb said. She was holding a hefty metal chalice of wine. “Help yourself.”

Mohs nodded. “Find your own drink, though.”

Calder smiled with relief as he tried to think about what he would devour first. “Thank you, ladies.”

He plucked a custard puff from the table to prepare himself for the quail he was about to dig into. As he popped it into his mouth, a new problem dawned on him.

“Where did Laz go?” He asked mid-chew.

“Didn’t he follow you?” Strawb spun in a circle to scout for him.

Calder shook his head. “I thought he stayed with you two. Did you not see where he–”

The galleries!

Calder swiveled his neck around to the side of the room Laz showed interest in when they arrived.

I told him it was a bad idea! He’s smart, he wouldn’t try to sneak in. Right?

There were no signs of trouble as Calder looked the galleries up and down, but his sense of uncertainty was growing.

“Relax,” Mohs said with a slap on Calder’s shoulder. “He’s probably pissing or something, he never got out when our wagons stopped, remember?”

Right. That makes sense.

Strawb clicked her tongue. “Can you please try and be less vulgar while we’re eating, Mohs?”

Mohs shrugged. “Sorry, the ale hits harder when I spend the whole day sitting in a carriage.”

“You’re probably right,” Calder said. He slid the roast quail’s platter toward the edge of the table. “If he isn’t back soon I’ll go look for him though.”

He picked up one of the two delicate, metal forks that was stabbed into the bird. With a gentle pull, the meat shredded off the bone, leaving him with the perfect bite to silence his hunger.

“Boyfriend missing?” Notch’s painfully recognizable voice came from behind.

Calder mentally groaned as the nuisance joined them at the table. He knew right away what Notch was doing. Since the night they received that bribe from the nobleman, Notch had been constantly trying to pester Calder. He knew there was no chance of Calder making a scene in the capital, not with every captain, and the king himself there. Whatever he was about to say, it would be annoying and he would have to put up with it.

I’ll have to pay him back later. Hopefully he finishes up before Laz returns, I’m not sure I could stop him from using a spell to mess with the poor guy.

“Shame, I was going to give him a piece of my mind for what he did on the way here.” Notch cracked his knuckles, but his face looked relieved.

“Chilly ride?” Mohs laughed and stuffed a torn-off piece of bread into her mouth.

Notch tucked down his head and spoke softly. “Listen, I need you guys to save this date for me. Jenn is already pissed at me for what your little wizard friend did, so you owe me.”

Calder looked over to a nearby table, where a young lady with curly orange hair, much brighter than his own red locks, was tapping her foot and looking over at Notch. Their table was stocked with as much food as his own, and he wondered if he could work out a fair exchange. He wouldn’t have minded his own mug of ale and a bite of whatever bird they had. He missed the taste of partridge.

“So, what, do you want it to be warmer on the ride back?” Mohs asked.

Strawb giggled, but Notch scoffed.

“No!” He hissed his words. “I need to impress her or something. She thinks magic is cool, maybe Laz can show her a fancy spell? Something new, something that will make her think I have interesting friends.”

“Can’t you show her a knife trick?” Calder was half paying attention to him, with the rest of his focus locked onto the bite of quail he never took. “You’re pretty good at those.”

Notch looked back at his date and flashed her a big smile, before turning back and scowling. “Yeah, I tried that. She said it was dumb. I think she’s some kind of pacifist or something, it’s such a pain.”

“Why did you ask her here if you two hardly even like each other?” Strawb asked as she adjusted her dress.

“I thought the ambiance might change things.” Notch scratched at his neck. “I mean, I’m sure you came for the same reason.”

Strawb quickly looked away and took a sip of her wine. Mohs didn’t seem to react, as she happily chomped down a grape.

“Look,” Calder said. He slung his arm around Notch’s shoulders and steered him back to his table. “How about you don’t bug me or Laz anymore, and I’ll make sure he doesn’t bug you anymore. And if you let me eat in peace, I might let you win an arm wrestle in front of her. How’s that?”

Notch seemed keen. “Would you really? Oh, that would be perfect! Not a peep from me, you’ve got it. Have fun, you two!” He was pointing behind Calder when he became too far away to hear over the miasma of chatter.

What?

Calder turned and saw Laz approaching the table.

“There you are!” Calder said. In celebration, he finally reclaimed his fork and took his first bite of quail in a year. The tender meat mended all of his concerns. The salted meat they had in Evermine was serviceable, but compared to this, it was practically inedible.

“Yeah, sorry.” Laz looked over the selection of food and put a grape in his palm. “Those privies are so peculiar. Do you understand how they work?”

I have to relax. If I worry every time he’s out of sight I’ll gray my hair.

“Please, not while we’re eating,” Strawb said.

Laz, stunned where he stood, covered his mouth for a moment before continuing. “Sorry! You’re right, not the time.”

Calder held back a laugh. It was usually Laz scolding him for being too crass. He took another bite of quail as he enjoyed being able to look at his date again.

Laz was chewing on half of a purple grape, looking around the enormous room with wonder in his eyes. Calder loved looking into his eyes. Perfectly green, deep and adorable. He didn’t understand how someone with eyes that pretty could have such a sharp tongue, but he didn’t mind. It kept him on his toes, and let him have a better idea of what was really on Laz’s mind. Hard to be secretive when he was always talking.

“Is the castle all you were expecting?” Calder asked.

“Well,” Laz twisted his mouth. “It’s certainly big, but I have to question whether any of this is necessary. Surely some of the resources here could be spared to help the rest of the kingdom. I know Evermine isn’t the only town struggling.”

Can’t say I disagree, Calder thought. But there’s probably a solid reason we don’t know about. The king and the nobles know what they’re doing.

Their conversation could have continued, if not for the start of a simple, long note that began to play through the air. It was steady and light, and Calder instantly recognized the sound of a glass flute. Everyone in the room looked over to where it was coming from, on the other side of the ballroom. For a brief moment, it was all Calder could hear. And then, another note followed. Lower, but just as pretty. It was joined by other instruments, the strumming of strings, the beating of drums, the blowing of horns.

The music had returned.

Calder couldn’t help but smile as people cheered, some trying to match the melody, others just excited that the lull in the room had been vanquished. The edges of the room opened up as those waiting at tables flowed into the dancing area in the center. It was beginning to look like a proper ball.

To Calder’s surprise, Laz was eyeing some of the dancing couples. He had the same lax posture and focused eyes as when he would read his big spellbook. He was studying.

“Would you like to dance?” Calder asked, setting down his fork and offering his hand to Laz. “There won’t be a better time than now.”

Laz looked away, though his cheeks flushed red.

“We wasted all morning practicing, didn’t we?” He tossed the rest of his snack into his mouth and swallowed. “It would be a waste if we didn’t try.

I was expecting more pushback than that. Notch might have had a point about ambiance.

With Laz’s hand gently held in his own, Calder led them away from the table where Mohs was trying to point out single knights for Strawb to flirt with. In the center of the room, the cavernous ballroom didn’t feel quite as intimidating. With the cheerful music and a gorgeous wizard right beside him, Calder felt foolish for ever feeling uneasy.

Once they had reached some open floor space, Calder stopped and looked over his date. His gown made him seem much more elegant than the sweating, bookish pessimist he had fallen for. Laz’s slender body suited the look well, and Calder found himself lucky that he didn’t always dress that way. If he did, Calder feared he would never be able to say no to him.

And his eyes again, what would I do if I couldn’t look at them every day. What did I do to earn this– He frowned as he noticed Laz’s bracelet was turned down, with the gem hiding under his wrist.

“Not trying to show off your gift?” Calder asked as he gingerly lifted Laz’s hand.

“It’s not that!” Laz stammered and looked around the room. “I– The problem was–”

Ah, whatever. Probably bumped it while using the privy.

Calder interrupted Laz by placing a hand on his back, just as they had practiced. Laz didn’t need to be told to grab Calder’s arm.

“You remember how we did this? All of the steps?” Calder was whispering in hopes it would make Laz feel both safer and more intimate.

Laz nodded, his usual scowl fading away in favor of nervousness. “Is anyone watching us?”

“If they are, it’s to admire you I’m sure.”

Calder took a step to his left, hoping they could jump right in. In response, Laz gasped and was forced to take two rushed steps to follow along.

“You could have said you were starting!” Laz’s lips pouted, yet his eyes twinkled.

Has anyone ever been as gracefully clumsy as him?

“Now back,” Calder said as he stepped away.

Laz, slightly more prepared now, stepped in turn, though he overcompensated for his last mistake and bumped into Calder’s chest. Every sheepish movement from Laz made him cuter, and it was impossible for Calder not to remember what had almost occurred that morning.

No, if I try to kiss him again and he backs out, that’s it. The whole night will be ruined. I have to restrain myself, as much as I want to pull him closer. This is nice. This works for now. Can’t be too greedy.

“You alright to keep going?” Calder asked.

“I practiced the same spell for two years,” Laz said. “Keep going.”

Calder kept them moving, slowly, trying to tap into that same rhythm they had dancing amongst the candles back in Evermine. Right, then forward, then left. He tried not to think about how silky and soft Laz’s gown felt as he held his back. He fought himself to not pull him a tiny bit closer with each step.

The music began to guide their steps, the thumping of the drums letting them time their steps together without words. Now and again Laz would slip up, either stepping too early or too far, and each time Calder would nudge him back into place without complaint. He could see a genuine smile overpowering Laz’s nerves. Each step he looked more at peace, more confident in his next step. His gown was perfect for the occasion, as well. The parts that flowed shimmered like raven feathers, his glossy long hair adding to the illusion. And the parts that didn’t flow hugged his body tight, constantly drawing Calder’s eye.

The same thoughts continued to gnaw at Calder.

If I wait for him to make a move, nothing will ever happen. But, if I make the move, he might scurry off again. Are all wizards such mice?

“Calder,” Laz said, breaking his thoughts. He was looking up at him with those bright emerald eyes again, the glass lights above making them dazzle like gems of their own. His cheeks were more flushed than they had been all night, his breath seemed shallow, almost like he was panting.

Oh, save me…

“Uh, yes?” Calder tripped over his words, a rare occurrence for him.

“It’s getting too hot in here, with everyone moving now.” He fanned at his face with his hand, which left a feeling of emptiness on Calder’s arm.

“Right! Right, yes.” Calder snagged a small handkerchief he had tucked near his collar and held it out. “Here, take this. Let’s sit for a while, shall we?”

Laz accepted the tissue and dabbed at his forehead. “Thank you. Sorry I didn’t last very long. Maybe when things have settled down…”

“Don’t worry.” Calder paused for a moment, then set his hand on the small of Laz’s back. He used his other arm to shove through the other dancers and usher his date back to their table. His size, along with his experience as a knight, helped him keep the crowd at bay. “We’ll get you some water as well.”

After fighting his way through the merry masses, Calder broke the edge and they found themselves back at their table, half-eaten quail and all. Mohs and Strawb were nowhere in sight.

At least we can still talk alone.

Laz leaned against the table, his pointy elbows pressing down and making Calder glad that the bases were weighted so the whole thing didn’t topple over. He continued to pat his face dry and fan at himself while Calder hoped he wouldn’t make him move his hand off his back.

“I can flag down a servant and then you’ll have something to dr–”

“Don’t bother,” Laz said. “I’ll be alright, it was just a bit stuffy, you know? Not like I’m dying, you can relax.”

Right, overdoing it.

“Why don’t we head out to the courtyard?” Calder pointed to the stone arches across from the 

galleries. There were a handful of people walking outside to where Calder knew they could have both privacy and a cool breeze. “You wanted to see it anyway, didn’t you? And I can show you…”

Should I tell him about the pond? He’d probably call me an idiot.

“Show me?” Laz lifted himself off of the table, his face only a few inches from Calder’s. “Show me what?”

“There’s just a nice pond out there, it has some ornamental fish.” Calder’s words slowed as he once again couldn’t break free from Laz’s eyes. “I just had a good memory from when I was knighted there. You don’t have to pretend to care about it for my sake.”

“A pond…” Laz looked disappointed for a moment. “Well, I don’t see any harm in taking a look. If it means a lot to you, maybe it’ll help explain a few things about you.” He smirked. “And I’m curious about how many strange animals you people have in the capital. First beast horses, now special fish? What, are they made of gold?”

Calder grinned and the two started toward the courtyard. “No, but it might be more impressive than that. Come on, you’ll want to see them for yourself.”

0