3. Screw The System
524 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Swinging his sword around, Grant knocked another skeleton's skull off its bony shoulders. It sailed off into the pitch black corridor, the bright blue lights fading from its hollow eye sockets. More meaningless words and numbers flashed in front of Grant's vision.

[Success! Skeleton defeated. +3 Experience!]

[You are now level 5! +1 Perk Point!]

[Congrats! Perks for the Reluctant Hero class are now available!]

[Your Strength stat has increased by +2!]

[Your Swordplay skill has gone up a level! Stay sharp!]

[Hot MILFs in your area! CLICK HERE!!!]

"Oh my God!" he waved his free hand around right in front of his eyes, hoping the blue words would disperse like smoke. "Go the fuck away!" 

Another skeleton soldier stepped up, but there was so much text in the way he could barely make it out. He took another swing, bringing the monster down easily. Of course, that just made more notifications pop up, which made him angrier.

"Fuck!" he booted the skeleton's skull away, which had come loose after it collapsed. Killing skeletons should've been fun, but this was just tedious! "I hate this stupid system shit!"

[Your Kicking stat has increased by +1.7!]

[Your Skull Soccer skill has gone up a level! Behead 'em then Beckham!] 

"Why is that its own stat?" Grant wanted to grab his hair and tear it out from his scalp. "Why is that a skill?!"

He had been crawling this dungeon for about an hour now. Back in the starting chamber, Gigi had reluctantly agreed to his terms. One, she had to leave him alone on his journey - it was hard for him to be patient with annoying girls. And two, she had to promise to send him back home after the quest was done. That was her one holdup, but enough pressing eventually got her to relent.

With that settled, he had set off into this maze of dark, twisting hallways. Gigi had created it as a place for her summoned heroes to quickly level up, so the monsters here weren't too tough, just generic skeletons with cutlasses and wooden bucklers - a stereotype you'd see in any lame RPG. Their glowing blue eyes weren't hard to pick out in the shadows.

The white stone brick corridors were lit by the same fist-sized glowing sapphires that had lined the first chamber, however they were far more spaced out, making illumination scarce. Water dripped from above, the sound reverberating around in a slightly unnerving way. Tired of splashing his newly poofed-into-existence boots into the shallow puddles the leaks had formed, Grant decided to try and get one of the glowing stones loose.

Wedging his sword where the sapphire met the brick, he tried to crowbar the jewel out of its setting. It was easier than he expected, the rock crumbling away like dirt and the sapphire tumbling to the floor. He grabbed the stone and held it up as he continued to trek through the maze's winding cooridors. The sapphire was far from being as effective as a flashlight, but it worked well enough.

Trawling this dungeon was boring. He wished he had his phone with him, but it had vanished along  with his clothes when Gigi had decided to dress him up like an idiot. A wavy white tunic - basically a shirt with a built in skirt - and scratchy blue leggings that made his butt itch? They felt like socks that went all the way up, he hated it! What was wrong with just normal pants? Hopefully everyone else in Generia dressed like this...

Grant sighed, trying to count his blessings. At least he was still alive. At least he wasn't a catgirl loli. And at least when he got out of here, he'd be learning what his actual quest would be.

8