(Chapter 2) Things don’t matter
1.7k 9 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Well... Let's see... So, I am kind of dumping chapters and kind of not... I have very odd plans regarding the story, and my writing style of short chapters kind of messes it up. In reality, the first 4 chapters would make an entire prologue. But I felt it would be kind of flat... So I got this instead. I hope things are readable. 

Chapter 2

Things don't matter

 

I groggily approached my front door, the house was like any other in the neighbourhood. White walls, curtained windows, had a garden with flowers? Maybe a bit of wear and tear on the walls from my parents' experiments, but I could not be bothered to spot the differences. 

What am I? The question was in my mind until a few moments ago, overthinking it gave me a terrible headache. Were things supposed to be like this? Well, no point in questioning it, I just needed a bed... Without a care in the world, I took out my house keys. A golden long key with a lot of teeth and dots running alongside it, then a short hook-like curved key, and a normal key. 

 

I sighed seeing the stupid measures my house had, the door looked pretty normal except it had three locks. I always thought it was overkill, but there was no point in convincing them. After a sigh I began with the long golden key, it made a satisfying click. Then I inserted the hook key and pulled - making three clicks from the pins being pushed. I twisted and it made another click. I moved to the other one and monotonously did the same. 

 

After a final click, I finally pushed the door in along with a gust of wind and the droplets of rain. I saw mud flood the white floor, the lights were on. Well, it didn't matter... I closed the door behind me - heavily echoing throughout the house, metal doors were no joke. 

 

"Shuntaro?" What type of loser could be called that? Mom peeked from the other room and looked at me for a second. 

"Ah yeah, I became a thing. I am tired, good night." My headache was extreme, I could not be bothered to explain what could not be explained. She tilted her head and observed me.

 

"Oi, Shuntaro!" Dad also peeked and again looked at me. He tilted his head and looked at mom. 

"Hey Marie, do you think?" 

"No Hal, that's not it... It goes against basic science."

"Maybe my rituals did a thing!" 

 

Ahh, there they went. I could not be bothered. "Good night." I clumsily made my way upstairs dragging my feet.

"You are messing the entire house up!" Ah right, I was leaving a trail of mud, well... it didn't matter either... 

 

I hit my comfortable bed and passed out. It was cold and hard like the ground, no fluffiness to it, no privacy to it... Now that I thought about it, I simply hit the floor and never made it to my room - well not like it mattered. 

 

* * *

 

I was feeling warmth, it was comfortable. Well, it was bothersomely-comfortable. Something about me told me it was annoying, and yet I still thought it was comfortable, kind of like conflicting wills. I clumsily stretched myself, the light was filtering through the windows in the white-clinic-like room, a white bed with a clean smell.

 

"Without a doubt." 

"Hmmm." 

"The virus is stable..."

"My rituals finally paid off." 

 

Ah, there they went... Monologuing about science and necromancy rituals, objectiveness versus witchcraft. It didn't matter really. Sadly I could only see their discussion through the white blinds, I felt kind of isolated. Why did we have a basement of this nature even? Half of it was akin to a clinic and the other half would be described as a demonic ritual for lack of a better word. 

 

The blinds were removed. 

 

"Can you remember?" Mom asked. 

"I think..." Well, it was doubtful. I mean I could remember, but it gave me a headache. 

"Marie, don't you see! It's a fucking zombie! Of course she can't remember!" 

"Hal, shut up for a minute. Her flesh might be decomposed but Shun has clearly shown speech!" 

 

"Who tf is Shun?" 

"See Marie?! See! I told you!" 

"Sigh..." Why did it always have to become like this. "You are Shun." 

"Then I am a loser." I pointed at myself, and they nodded. " Wonderful..." 

 

"Marie, how do you even know that's Shun!"

"The DNA says it..." So, I am factually proven a loser. Wonderful! No wonder the first thing I thought about was how I wanted a harem. 

 

"Well, what else do your tests say?"

"Shun's brain is half-decomposed, for lack of a better word." Ha, so I was mentally brain-dead now. Also wonderful. 

"Hey... Can I just have food? I am hungry..." Mom sighed and gave me something from her table, it was a sandwich. 

 

Some part about me felt pretty careless about the situation - it didn't matter. 

 

I munched on the sandwich and... "This is unedible..." It tasted like dirt. 

"Try this." Dad gave me a blob of something pink and jelly-like. I munched it, and... 

"This is good..." I kept slowly enjoying my treat. 

"How do you explain that Marie?!" 

"More research needs to be done..."

"That's a zombie for you!"

 

I guess I was a zombie now - wonderful. Things were slow - my brain was slow. It kind of made sense and kind of didn't, there was no such thing as excitement, it felt monotone and numb, and yet I could not bring my head to question it. 

Zombies are dumb and Foxes are smart! Who would've thought... In more seriousness, I hope this is half-readable...

43