Chapter 4 : Virtual Auction
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aria Sinclair - @AriaReporter - 10/28 - 7:00 pm

Heading to Ironridge Prison for a live interview with Robin the trickster, a key player in the notorious Devil's Game. Founder of companies exposed as scams, he's now wanted by justice. Surrendered after the dark virtual reality twist. Details tomorrow at 7:00 PM on pgnn channel. #ExclusiveInterview #RobinTheTrickster #DevilsGameJustice

***

Robin maintained his stance, casually leaning against a table at the forefront. A girl approached, delivering a drink with an intriguing proposition, "Care for any intimate services, sir?"

True to form, Robin politely declined, Immersed in the allure of the dark virtual reality, Robin found himself entangled in the realms of gambling, taking his maiden plunge into "The Devil's Game."

Before him, a platform unfolded, adorned with a colossal screen. After a suspenseful pause, a character materialised – blue fur, a visage reminiscent of a fox, a chiselled muscular physique, and flanked by horns.

"Welcome to The Devil's Game. I am the Demon King, the maestro behind this game of yours."

Post an elaborate introduction, the Demon King finally delved into the essence that piqued Robin's interest.

"Thirty students shall partake, meticulously curated by artificial intelligence based on their personal data. The ante will be raised on the one who secures the top slot."

30 students, mirroring the count of gamblers precisely? It appears meticulous planning is at play, ruminated Robin.

Well aware that high school students willingly embraced this venture, Robin's nonchalance stemmed from his past as a high school connoisseur of deceit. Yet, curiosity lingered about the stakes and wagers these students were willing to make.

"The cap for individuals betting on one person is four, each assigned a distinct rank. The foremost bettor assumes the mantle of the group leader, holding sway over critical decisions, while the others become integral members of their team."

So, my aim should be to lead my group. Should I risk betting on the initial contender, even if leadership eludes me? mused Robin.

With self-assurance in his abilities but wary of the uncertainties surrounding others, he proceeded with caution, resisting the impulse to take the initial plunge.

"Information about each student is at your disposal on the screen before you. Bidding will commence in half an hour."

A blue screen materialized, presenting a tableau featuring students' names and their accrued points. Robin's sights were set on securing a wager for the top spot, prompting him to select "Gavin Titan." Methodically verifying the accuracy of AI-generated points, he then turned his attention to fellow gamblers, engaging in a mental game of predicting who would stake their claim on the first position.

The Demon King returned to the platform, declaring, "Time's elapsed. Bidding for the prime position, Gavin Titan, is now open."

Gavin's visage and nomenclature graced the screen – an olive-skinned student with neatly cropped hair and an infectious grin.

"The opening bid stands at 1,000,000 Lumina. Who will be the first to venture?"

Just a million – patience is the key, ruminated Robin, observing several contenders raising their hands.

Once again, foiled in prediction – a stark reminder of the challenges in this virtual terrain.

"Just a gentle reminder: Bidding unfolds through your systems. I neglected to mention that."

Robin accessed his system, encountering a bidding interface and a roster of four eager participants.

Someone akin to myself likely awaits, strategically reserving their bid until the eleventh hour, pondered Robin, eyeing the escalating bids and the dynamic reshuffling of rankings. Methodically awaiting the opportune moment, he meticulously calculated his bid, pressing the button as the fervor waned, anchoring it on the evolving hierarchy. As the rankings stabilized, bids subsided, and the countdown to bidding closure commenced, Robin decisively engaged the button.

"The high-stakes gamble remains unresolved. Robin Hood boldly places a 10,000,000 Lumina bet. Is there a contender, someone ready to raise the stakes?"

"3"

"2"

"1"

"Robin Hood takes charge of the initial group. He and his team venture to their office, fostering camaraderie before the game commences."

Approaching, the previously encountered maid beckons Robin, saying, "Come, sir, to your team's office."

Robin follows her, observing three others rising. They traverse the corridor until the girl halts at a door, ushering them inside.

Inside, a colossal screen adorns one wall, accompanied by four sofas and a table. Robin takes a seat on a sofa as the girl positions herself on top.

Robin gently pushes her away, rising, inquiring, "What's your purpose?"

"I am your servant, sir."

"Wait outside; I'll summon you if needed."

"Understood."

Robin's purpose here is victory, not distractions. After a brief interval, another figure arrives. Robin stands to greet, expressing, "Welcome to the team. I am Robin Hood."

Disguised as Robin Hood, he engages with a dwarf, their interaction requiring Robin to bow. 

"I am a dwarf; address me as such."

The dwarf proceeds to a sofa, instructing his maid to wait outside. A werewolf follows, offering a casual greeting and taking a direct seat. A ghostly figure glides in after, passing through Robin before settling into a seat.

Robin registers surprise but remains unperturbed. After closing the door, he resumes his seat, and a contemplative silence permeates the room, all eyes fixated on the screen displaying unfolding bets.

"Shall we persist in silence?" Robin queries.

"The game hasn't initiated, and details elude us. Strategic planning necessitates insight into our adversaries, garnered through the unfolding auction," elucidates the werewolf.

"Indeed, let's await developments," concurs the ghost.

While Robin, as the leader, aspires to discuss strategic expectations, his teammates exhibit a cautious demeanor, oblivious to his benign intentions. The auction concludes swiftly, rankings unchanged. Each participant launches the game with a million points, and the demon king reassumes control of the platform.

"With a million points as the starting benchmark, prizes will escalate in proportion to the wagers. The system encompasses all rules and game intricacies. Chart your course; the game shall commence imminently.”

***

From the pages of “Pawn point of view" by Silas Hartwell, edited by Aria Sinclair :

Before me stood an immense throne, upon which the sovereign of demons held court. Collapsing to the ground, I scrutinised my limbs and body, as if untouched by any harm, now clad in pristine attire rather than the worn-out garb of moments past.

"Why did I spare your life?" inquired the Demon King.

Speech eluded me; shock held me captive, my mind inundated with thoughts cascading like rain.

"Like me, you are solitary." he said.

Prostrate on the ground, I remained oblivious to the unfolding events, yet a sense of awareness lingered; there had to be a purpose behind it.

"I offer you a chance at survival. Embrace the shadows, as no one cares for you. Become unseen, a retribution for them. Your demise was declared, met with no lament but only their trepidation for their impending fate. Your task now is to endure. You have cheated death and borne much. Do not expect my edicts to extend further aid; find yourself in a kingdom's hotel. Commence your journey; I shall observe."

Had this accursed being not ensnared me in his malevolent game from the outset, I would not have sought his damned assistance.

Yet, clarity emerged—my solitude and obscurity to them became the catalyst for my survival.

Within these pages, I unravel the mystery of my survival. This is not merely an account of evading the game but an exploration of how I survived the depths of my own being.

1