Chapter 16 “The High Table”
119 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noah's expression didn't change, and neither did Fiona's. They both remained calm and just answered his question.

"No, we're just here to enjoy the night. Besides, we were lucky and had a stroke of really good luck, don't you think so?" Noah replied with a smile.

Dupont laughed, "Heh, indeed. Although it is not common to see two newcomers make a grand debut, Mr. and Ms. Leveilleur."

Noah and Fiona remained calm and just nodded at him.

"But I'm sure that you are not here just for that, isn't it?" The chubby man looked at them intently, "Tell me, what is it that both of you were looking for?"

Dupont started to hand over the cards. Noah and Fiona both received the cards and looked at each other.

"Well, we are just looking for some fun, that's all." Noah replied.

Dupont looked at them and raised his eyebrow, "Fun, huh? I see. Well, I am also looking for some fun, myself."

Dupont put the cards in his hand down and looked at Noah.

"So, are you going to answer my question or not?" Dupont said.

Noah was thinking about what was the right choice, to lie or not. But he needed to play along with everyone if he wanted to gain information.

Fiona could see that Noah was hesitating. She was afraid that if they lied, it might cause a commotion, and the whole plan might be compromised.

She was looking around, observing the situation. She saw that there were several guards, and some of them had a gun. If things get rough, she is prepared to fight.

She was waiting for Noah's reply and hoping that he would make a wise decision.

Noah finally decided to tell the truth because it might lead to giving both of them several pieces of information regarding Anya.

If it turns out to be the worst, all they need to do is eliminate the people in here. Fiona had already prepared some things up on her sleeve in case that situation happened.

"We're looking for a girl named Anya." Noah replied.

Dupont looked at them for a moment and then asked. "What is your relation with her?"

"We're just acquaintances." Noah replied.

Dupont raised his eyebrow, "Really? May I ask why are both of you looking for her?"

"She has been missing, and we're trying to find her."

Dupont chuckled, "Heh, is that so? How did you know about this place?"

"We have our own sources." Fiona replied.

The river of the game had been dealt. Everyone at the table had already folded except for Noah, Fiona, and Dupont. Both Noah and Fiona revealed their cards. Noah lost his hand against Dupont, but Fiona won the round.

"Well, that's interesting. Let me tell you something, we don't have her here. Neither that we know anything of relevance regarding her." Dupont said as he was dealing another card to them.

"Is that so?" Fiona said, "How come we have heard differently."

Dupont sneered, "You're quite confident, aren't you, my lady? Do you even have proof that she was indeed here?"

Fiona didn't respond. She just kept her cards and looked at him.

Dupont was observing both of them and was wondering how they had managed to find out about the location of the place. He was not expecting anyone related to them here.

"Hmm... very well." As he put his cards down, he said, "Let's say I believe you."

Both of them raised their eyebrows, they didn't expect that he would believe their words.

"Why would I just give away any information regarding her? Do you think I'm just going to tell you about her? Even if I do know something, why would I tell both of you about it?"

"Well, I guess we just have to do it the hard way." Noah looked at Dupont as he wagered more chips on the flop.

After hearing this, Dupont laughed. He didn't expect that these two would be so bold.

"The hard way, huh? Interesting. You know that this conversation would only put her in a bad situation."

Everyone in the room was quiet. No one was talking, and the tension in the room was rising.

Suddenly, Fiona put her cards down.

"I fold."

Noah and Dupont both looked at her. Fiona had a cold expression on her face. She started to rummage through her thigh as if she was pulling something.

Noah noticed her movement. He knew that this conversation would not be going anywhere, and there was only one way out for them if they wanted to get more information and get out of there alive.

"I fold." Noah said as he put his cards down and looked at the guards.

All the people in the room were surprised when both Noah and Fiona folded, but they quickly realized what was happening.

"You two are really something." Dupont said as he laughed in a low voice.

Several guards around them pulled out their weapons, and the atmosphere became tense. They were looking at Noah and Fiona.

Looking at this scene, Noah and Fiona looked at each other and nodded. Both of them were prepared for whatever may come.

Fiona pulled out a small dagger from her thigh and threw it towards the guard who was on her right. The guard was not expecting that and got stabbed in his neck.

Noah kicked the whole table with all of his strength, knocking it and pushing it towards Dupont, causing him and the other guards behind him to be knocked away.

Using the momentum from kicking the table, Noah went backward and attacked the guards who were behind him. Fiona kicked her chair as well and knocked the guard behind her.

After knocking the guards, Noah and Fiona quickly stood up and prepared themselves.

"Don't let them shoot their weapons. This room might be soundproof, but we don't want to take chances if anyone outside this room that a gunfire had erupted." Said Noah while watching Fiona's back.

She nodded and started to take out another dagger from her thigh.

There were three guards left and one young man who seemed to be a threat to both of them. The guards around them pulled out their weapons and aimed at them.

Fiona quickly threw another dagger towards the guard in front of her, and the dagger hit his head.

As she threw the dagger, she dashed towards the other guard.

She quickly grabbed his right arm, pointed it upwards, and snapped his arm. The guard screamed in pain as she twisted his arm.

The guard dropped his weapon, and another guard was behind her. He tried to aim the gun at her, but she quickly grabbed the gun and kicked him away.

On the other hand, Noah was also caring for the guards next to him. He lunged forward before the guard could aim his weapon and punched him in the gut.

The guard clenched his stomach in pain, Noah kicked the gun away so the guard wouldn't use it against him. The guard was about to fight back, but Noah was faster and hit him on his head.

There was only the tattooed young man left for him. Fiona was busy fighting with the two guards while Noah had to deal with him.

Dupont can be seen behind the tattooed young man, looking at him. He was clearly telling him that he needed to finish them off and was about to run off.

2