Chapter 1: First Encounter (1)
882 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First Chapter: First Encounter (1)

 

 

My name is Alex, female, 17 years old, average height and looks, maybe a little bit too mean looking but nothing too crazy, and has no boyfriend since birth. Now, you may think, I am probably bitter about people with boyfriends and stuff.

 

Well, that’s where you’re wrong! 

 

I am quite happy and satisfied being single and having no one to manage. I am not saying this because I feel jealous or anything, I just feel content in my life, and people’s pity and concern are not welcome! 

 

Cough!

 

I coughed out loud, breaking my line of thought. I think my cold hasn’t gotten any better since yesterday. I really hate this sickly and weak body of mine. 

 

Anyway, none of that matters, as I stand here in the field celebrating the opening of my first year in college.

 

It is really amazing how lady luck hates me. On the very first day of my college life, the heavens decided to weep and cry making me all sticky and wet … ugh.

 

I can see people with no umbrella sharing with people who have one … sigh … maybe a couple would be made by this event. 

 

Well, it is none of my concern as I always bring mine, so no chance of having a chance encounter. I sarcastically laughed at that thought. 

 

All matters aside, when will the Mayor end his speech? All I can hear is blah blah do your best and all those cliche things you say to students who clearly don’t even listen to you. 

 

“... I hope for a wonderful semester of your college life!” The Mayor stated at the end of his speech.

 

Ah. Finally! Sigh, the rain has no sign of stopping just like the Mayor’s mouth or so I thought.

 

Oh, and you’re probably wondering why the Mayor is giving speeches at our campus. Well, that is because he is my grandfather! And he wants to supervise my actions …  

.

.

.

Not!

 

I’m kidding, obviously. I’m in a state college because I’m not that well off to study at any of the well-known universities in the capital. So I need to settle for a local state college. Haha, life sucks.

 

At least I’m not eating noodles and eggs three times a day, I guess? 

 

Kidding aside, I’ve noticed students are moving towards the building, probably to go inside and take shelter from the rain. 

 

I should go with the flow and try to avoid colliding with people because a lot of them are doing so. I rolled my eyes at such audacity. Heh.

 

Nearing the stairs of the main entrance, I raise my head and look in front. I can’t help but sigh at the sight I witnessed.

 

Can’t these people have patience and wait for people in front of them to move first? I thought as I kept seeing massive crowds of people getting stuck at the entrance trying to get inside first.

 

Sooner or later, an accident would probably happen … sigh

 

At that moment, just as I thought of that … someone slipped! Probably due to getting pushed back by the crowd and falling down the stairs towards me, who is in front of the said stairs.

 

“Ahh!” Someone from the crowd screamed and others followed after.

 

Before I can even think, my body moves first! I throw my umbrella to the side and put my arms out to try to catch them.

 

“Watch out!” Someone shouted as I readied my body for the impact.

 

Although the stairs are not that high, with merely five or seven steps, still with my weakened body, when we collided we both fell down with them on top of me.

 

Bang!

 

Ouch!” We both cried out as we hit the ground. 

 

We stayed like that for a couple of seconds … 

 

As the rain fell on us, I was glad that I was wearing my hood, or else my hair would be a jumbled mess of mud and water. Still, as a person who has a slight germaphobic tendency, the soft and sticky feel on my back reminded me again of what situation I’m in. 

 

And it irritated me greatly, but I decided to push back that feeling and focus on the more important things.

 

Ugh, I think I hit my head. I’m getting dizzy and can this person above move out of the way, please. 

 

Just when I think of that, the person above me stood up suddenly and tried to help me up. Emphasis on tried.

 

“I’m so, so, so sorry! I didn’t mean to hit you!” She cried out while failing to pick me up from the ground. 

 

Still on the ground and thinking, judging from her mellow voice, the person who fell down is a girl. Thankfully, or else I might get crushed if a man fell down from above.

 

“Never mind that, aren’t you dizzy from getting up suddenly after falling from such height?” I mumbled as I clutched my head while finally trying to stand up after many failed attempts by the girl.

 

“Are you okay?” She worriedly asked, unintentionally ignoring my words probably 'cause we almost spoke at the same time, and me, being a mumble rapper (not real).

 

“Yep, don’t worry about it … Actually, I should be asking you that, are you okay?” I replied with my head still hurting, but since I didn’t want to make it a big deal I simply glossed it over and asked her the same question.

 

Though, I must say, now, that I’m actually looking at her straight, this girl is so freaking beautiful. Like how the heck can you have those eyelashes so long and such big eyes. Hell, even her skin is so smooth and unblemished like, girl, can I have your skincare routine? I can say she is one of the most beautiful people I have met in real life. 

 

“Um, yes! I’m fine. Thank you so much for helping me!” The girl's eyes glowed as she replied with energy opposite of someone who just fell from the stairs. 

 

“No worries. Anyway, I gotta get going, bye.” I just casually accepted her gratitude and moved on. 

 

Hm? What? You probably think that this was gonna be the start of a romantic comedy, right? Hell no, I told you I’m a freaking independent woman, I need no man, or in this case, woman in my life. And mind you I’m a straight woman. 

 

How do I know? Well… I just know and regardless of that, I have never been in love my whole life nor do I feel attracted to the same sex. In conclusion, I’m probably heterosexual, or maybe asexual is more suitable? 

 

Now, back to the topic, really ... I get sidetracked easily by these things, probably my ADHD brain thing acting up or not.

 

But seriously, things in the movies and comics don't happen in real life. Just because it’s the first day of school and some kind of accident happens, which will be the hero and heroine’s first encounter and then they will have some kind of connection whatsoever to build their bond and fall in love over time. No, never in a million years. Grow up and study at school, kids.

 

Before I could continue this weird inner monologue of mine, the girl called out to me as I walked past her toward the entrance, since it was still raining and I’m feeling a little sick, more so due to the accident. 

 

“Wait!” She called out as she caught up and walked beside me.

 

I looked at her and raised my eyebrows saying a nonverbal ‘what’ to her. 

 

“I’m really sorry for earlier, can I do something to make it up to you?” She uttered as she looked up and stared into my eyes with her big doe eyes. 

 

Sigh, I already said it was okay. You really don’t have to do anything. Why can’t you understand that, huh? Though, I can understand her situation. I would also feel bad if somebody got hurt because of me. 

 

And by the way, can you not look up at me like that, it’s making my chest itchy for some reason, like seriously stop. I’m weak against beautiful things. Ah! My eyes!

 

“Really it’s okay, it’s just an accident. No need to think about it too much.” 

 

Oops, I think my tone is too harsh. Ugh … I really hate talking to people. I’m sorry, sis, I’m not angry I just look like I’m angry, huhu.

 

“Oh … I’m sorry to bother you …” She visibly deflated from my words, looking like an aggravated puppy.

 

Oh no, she looks like she’s sad and misunderstood me. Argh! I don't want to deal with this! If I could find a rock, I would smash my head open and die just like that!

 

I scratched my head and said with a gentler tone, “Look, I’m fine and you said you’re fine and that’s what matters.”

 

And … just like that, her mood improves and she looks kinda happy again. Like, girl, how are you changing your mood so fast, you on something?

 

She clasped her hands together and smilingly said, "Then can I treat you after the event for some food?"

 

I already said it was oka—wait a second. Did she just say she will compensate me with food? Wait a freaking second, who in their right mind will refuse that kind of offer? Hell yeah, you can treat me! Like we can even go now not after! 

 

Before you say I'm overreacting and yes I am, but who cares, it's fun. Ahem, If you didn't know, I am a huge food lover, like I can eat tons of food in one sitting. Like my family even called me the family dog because I'm always in charge of finishing their leftovers and successfully doing so. 

 

However …

 

"Thank you for the offer but it's fine. You don't have to do that for me." 

 

… I must refuse it. Keuk, curse this ingrained sense of politeness and fear of looking rude by accepting one's offer the first time, huhu. 

 

"Please, I insist!" She moved in front of me and persisted in treating me with food.

 

She continued, "I felt really bad for what happened earlier, it's just an accident but still I have to make up for the inconvenience it did!" 

 

She said with such a resolute face I almost wanted to squish her cheeks due to looking so cu—okay, no. Nope. Not going in that direction. 

 

"..." 

 

I kept looking at her quietly and she did so in return. A few seconds pass in this standoff in which I gave in first.

 

"Sigh … Okay, if you say so …" I uttered defeatedly.

 

In reality, I was dancing with joy inside as I got to have free food!

 

She smiled brightly, her eyes almost disappearing, and her dimples appearing making it so pleasing to the eyes … ahhh, I think I'm going blind. Too bright … I really want to pinch those cheeks … 

 

"Okay! That's a promise!" She replied as she cutely giggled. 

 

Really, how can someone be this adorably cute? 

 

Smack!

 

I slapped my cheeks in my mind, snap out of it, Alex! Do not be such a simp! This is merely a trial, a way to test your limits! Fight! Tatacaw!

 

Anyway then, that's done I can now spend my first day with peace and quiet. Hoo

 

***

 

 

As I walked through the corridor, I saw that it was packed with students, and when I say packed I meant, like, suffocatingly. I'm feeling nauseous, I really, really hate crowded spaces. And the throbbing pain in my head keeps getting worse. I need to find an open space. I need to breathe. 

 

Who even invented this cursed building called school. Like I can teach myself just fine … Okay, maybe not but still, aargh! 

 

Enough of these shenanigans! I might just hyperventilate and collapse right here, right now and I can’t have that happening. I will die a social death! 

 

With that thought, I roamed the inside of the campus trying to find an open space to take a break from all these walking sardines and kind of smell like one. 

 

You know it’s the trend nowadays to use deodorants. I remarked sarcastically in my mind as I slithered through the corridor. 

 

And just like heaven finally graced upon me, I found utopia! The nirvana! Th—let’s stop. Even for me, that’s too much. Anyway, I finally found a place to linger and breathe on a balcony on the third floor of the campus.  

 

***

 

 

I leaned slightly forward on the chest-height railing of the balcony as I took a deep breath in and out. I lightly rubbed my temple to soothe my throbbing head and continued to breathe in and out.

 

“It was so stuffy back there, wasn't it?” A somewhat familiar voice suddenly came from the back.

 

“Ahh!” I lightly shouted as I literally jumped in shock at the sudden voice coming from the back.

 

I held my chest and tried to control my breathing …

 

As I calmed myself down, I angrily thought, who the hell would just suddenly talk from behind someone trying to get some peace and quiet?!

 

I could hear a laugh as I looked back and saw the culprit behind all this …

23