Chapter 10: Trouble? (2)
241 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tenth Chapter: Trouble? (2)

 

 

“That’s enough,” a voice came from the front. 

 

Shvets, seeing the commotion, decided to take the matter at hand.

 

“If you have any dissatisfaction or disagreement, I hope you will resolve it in a peaceful manner,” she said sternly.

 

“Huh, and why you think I’ll listen to you?” the flashy girl sent her an irritated look.

 

“I’m not giving you an order, I am kindly asking you to be respectful.”

 

The flashy girl sneered. “What if I don’t want to?”

 

”It’s not me who will suffer the consequences of your action.”

 

“Yeah, so why care?” the flashy girl stood up and faced Shvets eye-to-eye. “If you think you can scare me, think aga—”

 

“Please do take a look around you,” Shvets interrupted her.

 

The flashy girl stopped and took a look around. She saw people whispering and giving her a not-so-friendly gaze. 

 

Humans are gregarious creatures. No matter how seemingly brave a person is, as the receiving end of jeers and judging gazes of many people, is bound to cause some mental damage, whether obviously or not. And It seems it did have an effect on her as she shrank a little. However, she sprang right back almost immediately, puffing her chest out. 

 

Noticing that, Shvets leaned closer and whispered something to the flashy girl’s ear. As she listened to her words, the flashy girl’s face turned uneasy.

 

“H-how’d you know that?” she stutteringly uttered.

 

“I have my ways.”

 

The girl probably wanted to bite back but didn’t. With a look of unwillingness, she sat back down and glared at the other people intensely, especially at Shvets.

 

“Thank you for understanding,” Shvets politely smiled, giving a perfunctory ‘thank you’.

 

Tsk,” the girl clicked her tongue and turned her head away, irritation written all over her face.

 

“One more thing,” Shvets said. “You still have to apologize to her.”

 

“What?!” the flashy girl angrily exclaimed. “Why do I have to say sorry to this twerp? You’re pushing your luck a little too much!”

 

“To answer your question, you have insulted and tried to humiliate a fellow classmate,” Shvets said calmly. 

 

“It’s a rhetoric!” the girl said. “And so what? You can’t tell people to shut their mouths now, is that it?!”

 

“It seems you still haven’t realized the gravity of your situation. Do I have to repeat myself?” Shvets showed a cold gaze, putting emphasis on the latter.

 

The flashy girl was stunned. She clenched her fist, trying to hold off her anger. She bit her lips hard and forcefully turned to Evans.

 

“I … I … I—no! I don’t want to say it!” she still obstinately held on to her pride.

 

She remains hardheaded despite being in the wrong. Is saying sorry so beneath her pride? Shvets showed a frown, unable to control her expression. She was about to speak once more. When—

 

“It’s fine, Cecilie! She doesn't need to!” Evans butted in.

 

Shvets shifted her gaze from the girl to Evans. “Are you sure?”

 

“Y-yeah, I don’t want to make this bigger than it actually is.”

 

Shvets, after hearing that, nodded at Evans. “Then I will respect your decision.”

 

Shvets walked back to her seat and Evans, probably still affected, stood up and followed her like a lost puppy. It kind of even felt like there was a tail tucked between her legs at the moment. 

 

Shvets stopped and without turning back, said. “Consider this as your first warning—this year, Miss Gorbold.”

 

The girl, or Miss Gorbold as mentioned, had a sour expression as she tried to ignore Shvets’ words.

 

Immediately following, the door opened and the professor walked towards the front.

 

“Settle down, class.”

 

I didn’t even have the time to think about what just happened and took out my papers and ballpen, preparing myself to listen to another day in class. Meanwhile, everyone hastily went back to their seats and fixed themselves.

 

***

 

 

Lunch break.

 

“Happy lunch, everyone.”

 

The professor dismissed us and finally, I could stretch my back, getting stiff from sitting on these chairs.

 

Growl!

 

My stomach growled in hunger after 4 hours of lecture without breakfast.

 

“I’m hungry,” I thought out loud.

 

“Same,” Rebecca said. “Where are you gonna eat?”

 

“I have packed lunch, you?” 

 

“What a coincidence, I also brought one!” 

 

Rebecca rummaged through her bag and pulled out a cute pink lunchbox.

 

Pink. That’s so her …

 

“Let me see your lunch!” 

 

“Wait.”

 

While I was taking out my lunch, Rebecca started to talk about what happened earlier.

 

“That lady earlier is so cool!”

 

I stopped. “... Who?”

 

“You know who, that beautiful lady with black hair!”

 

Ah.

 

“You mean Shvets?”

 

“Oh, is that her name?” Rebecca said. “Even her name screams power!”

 

“No, that’s her surname,” I corrected her.

 

“What’s her name then?” she curiously asked.

 

“Cecilie.”

 

I think she also has a middle name, but I can’t remember it.

 

“Cecilie …” Rebecca's face turned a bit weird.

 

Why do you look so disappointed?

 

“I thought her name would be more like Matilda, or Audrey, or maybe even Gabriella!” she said seriously.

 

What’s wrong with Cecilie? It’s a nice name. Easy to the tongue, love it.

 

“Cecilie gives soft girl vibes, I think?” 

 

It’s not like her mother knows she’s gonna be like that when she grows up.

 

“Ah! Maybe, in reality, despite her being so dependable, she’s just waiting for someone to look past it and spoil her rotten?!”

 

Now you’re just being delusional.

 

Rebecca nodded repeatedly, believing her absurd theory of the ‘real’ Cecilie.

 

“I’m probably close to the truth!” 

 

Get some help.

 

I ignored her and opened my lunch box. And saw that it was my signature dish—fried hotdog.

 

Nice.

 

Rebecca peeked at my lunch. “Oh, hotdog! I love hotdogs!” 

 

Sure, you do.

 

“You want some?” I offered.

 

“Sure, I’ll trade it with my katsu,” Rebecca took a hotdog and placed a piece of katsu on mine.

 

“Thanks.”

 

I blessed my food and began to eat it. Seeing that, Rebecca copied me and also started eating.

 

“So yummy~” Rebecca happily munched on her food. 

 

Agree. 

 

I feel like this is the only time I’m on the same page with this girl.

 

“I’m curious, though,” Rebecca said while still chewing her food.

 

“Chew your food first,” I replied.

 

“Ah, sorry,” she looked embarrassed and tried to chew faster.

 

After swallowing, Rebecca spoke. “What did Cecilie whisper to that gi—uhh, I mean Gorbold?”

 

I shrugged my shoulders. No idea what Shvets whispered to that woman.

 

“I want to know so much!” Rebecca took hold of my arms and lightly shook me.

 

Stop doing that, I might spit my food out.

 

“Ask her then.”

 

“How?” Rebecca asked. “A-hah! I know, can you ask her?”

 

She looked at me expectantly, proud of her idea. 

 

“No,” I flatly refused her.

 

“Ehh, why?” Rebecca was pouting.

 

“We’re not close.”

 

“You know her!”

 

“In name only.”

 

Rebecca paused. Thinking hard about how to curb her curiosity.

 

Her eyes glowed as if realizing something. “Caikee!”

 

I raised my eyebrows at her, unable to speak with my mouth full.

 

“Caikee and her are close, right?” 

 

I don’t know if close is the right term … But currently, they are the closest people they know in the room.

 

Therefore, I nodded and continued chewing the hotdog.

 

“Can you ask Caikee to ask Cecilie what she whispered to that girl earlier, please?” Rebecca pleaded.

 

“I refuse.”

 

“I refuse your refusal!” she comically said.

 

Is that even possible? And you’re copying a certain scarred pirate, aren’t ya?

 

“I’ll treat you!”

 

Hm?

 

“Anything you want!”

 

Anything I want, huh?

 

“Under 50 plutus!”

 

Thought so. 

 

It's not like I’m greedy. Just want some coke (not the illegal kind) or something.

 

“Deal.”

 

“Pleasure doing business with you, ma’am,” she tipped her imaginary cap.

 

I can’t help but smile slightly at that. She’s too lively.

 

Rebecca also grinned, amused by her own action.

 

“You’ll do it, you said. Don’t forget, okay?” she repeated, making sure I’m not going back on my words.

 

Well, it isn’t too much trouble, anyway.

 

I nodded once more.

 

Rebecca smiled in joy, showing off her pearly white teeth. “Thanks! You’re the best!”

 

Yeah, yeah, I’m the best.

 

I put more hotdogs on her lunch.

 

“Eat more,” talk less.

 

She put more katsu in mine in return.

 

“You too!”

 

… I guess that’s fine.

 

After finishing eating, we were just sitting idly, relaxing our bodies in preparation for another class. 

 

“So sleepyyy,” Rebecca yawned, covering her mouth to keep her modesty.

 

Food coma.

 

Always after a meal, I can’t help but want to sleep immediately. I wonder why that is?

 

“Let’s sleep,” I suggested.

 

“Don’t wanna,” Rebecca cutely refused.

 

I thought you were sleepy?

 

I really don’t get what’s on this girl’s mind.

 

Rebecca stared at me quietly and then opened her mouth. “I wonder … why is she like that?”

 

Who is it this time?

 

“Gorbold, she’s, umm, so stubborn like a child throwing a tantrum!” Rebecca’s trying to find the right words to describe the girl earlier.

 

Some people are just like that.

 

Or it could be because she was spoiled rotten by her parents or the exact opposite—abused. People can experience similar situations and have different outcomes. It depends on their inherent temperament and the environment they grew up in. That’s why I try to keep an open mind as much as possible … It's just this girl pissed me off by being a jerk to Evans. 

 

Rebecca looked down. “You know, my mother always said … children being bad is not their fault, it's just their parents didn’t love them enough that they tried to keep whatever's left for themselves, no matter how little …”

 

… That all that's left is hate for everyone else other than themselves—or maybe actually including themselves. I finished her words in my mind.

 

Staring at the downed Rebecca, she really looked concerned about that girl Gorbold. 

 

I’m thinking of what to say to lift her spirits up. But it’s not really my expertise, so I decided to do what I always did to Sis Marga.

 

I raised my hand and tried to pat her head—at the same time:

 

Rebecca hastily explained herself, probably because I stayed silent for a while. “Umm, it’s not that I don’t feel bad for Caikee! I just think that people are not bad just because they’re bad … That’s what I think, do you get—” 

 

My palm lightly tapped her head twice, stunning Rebecca silent.

 

“I know.”

 

I chickened out. I can’t just do what I always do to someone I barely know! The hell are you doing, Alex? Is she a freaking button?! Ahhh! Kill me! 

 

Even worse, looking at her reaction, I feel like she’s wondering the heck I’m doing! I retracted my hand, carefully observing Rebecca’s face, but she just remained like that without moving. 

 

I-is she okay?

 

“Umm …?” Rebecca showed a confused face. “What was that?”

 

She touched her hair and slightly tilted her head at me.

 

“Forget about it.”

 

“Eh, how?” 

 

“Slam your head on the wall or sleep and wake up with amnesia the next day—you choose,” I said quickly.

 

“That’s not really a choice?!” Rebecca shockingly remarked.

 

“Not my fault,” I nonchalantly shrugged my shoulders.

 

“Now you're just being unreasonable …” Rebecca exasperatedly said. 

 

But then she paused. 

 

And suddenly started to giggle out of nowhere. “Really, you’re so weird!”

 

Proud weirdo here.

 

She continued laughing sweetly, unable to contain herself. Seeing that, I don’t know what came to me, but I also laughed with her, more quietly than her, though.

 

““Hahaha!””

 

A beautiful picture ensued.

 

***

 

 

If people were watching them, you’d see two girls happily laughing at the back about something incoherent, still, it would make you smile unknowingly. It filled the room with a bubbly atmosphere as if the only people in the room were the two of them; soothing your souls with its unadulterated nature. Such a scene brought upon contagious energy that you’d probably sweetly laugh without meaning to—it is simply the beauty of innocence and youth.

 

It’s a wonder. Where this newly created bond will bring the both of them to. Whether it will cause sorrow or joy; what’s important is that, at this moment, what they’re feeling is pure happiness from each other’s company … 

 

 

Ey.

12