Chapter 15: Lab Class (1)
223 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fifteenth Chapter: Lab Class (1)

 

 

Wednesday Morning.

 

For today, I only have one subject—biochemistry. I'd be jumping in joy if it weren’t a six-hour class … 

 

Barely making it on time, I stood outside the laboratory. I checked my bag before entering and let out a sigh of relief after seeing my lab coat inside. 

 

Nice, I didn’t forget it …

 

That’s right. It’s a laboratory class that’s why it’s longer than normal. Back in senior high, Up to this day, I haven’t forgotten that one time I forgot to bring it to class … Ms. Stacy was too cruel.

 

Shaking my head, I made my way inside.

 

I went through the back door and quietly tried to find somewhere to sit. I saw a familiar pink-haired girl sitting at the group table nearest to the door. And at the same time, she also saw me. 

 

“Kris! Here!” she called out, pointing beside her. 

 

Seeing no reason to refuse, I moved towards her and sat down on an empty seat beside her.

 

“Good morning!” she greeted me.

 

I nodded as greetings.

 

“I’m excited for today’s class!” she continued in a sunny mood. “I wonder what they'll teach us? I hope the professor isn't too scary!”

 

Last week, during online week, we didn’t meet our lab professors so we have no idea who they are and what they look like.

 

As long as the professor is not Ms. Stacy, I’m okay with whatever.

 

“Where’s the professor?” I asked since no one was on the podium.

 

“I’m not sure …” she responded with an unsure expression. “We didn’t see anyone, right?” she turned towards the other people surrounding the table. 

 

“Nope! Didn’t see a thing,” a short ginger girl energetically replied, leaning half of her body on the table which wasn’t that long, anyway. “What about you, Snow, saw anyone?”

 

A pale blue-haired, brown-eyed woman with glasses, sitting directly across from Rebecca, answered slowly. “Who knows …” leaning languidly on the table, the pale girl who answered appears to be deprived of energy. 

 

“Oh come on, you were the first one here!”

 

“... Hmmm,” she lifted her head up and then slowly lowered it down again. “I don’t know … I’m sleepy …”

 

“You’re always sleepy!” the ginger girl retorted briskly.

 

She turned to us and said apologetically. “Sorry for my friend here. She’s anemic, you see …”

 

Rebecca immediately waved her hand in a hurry. “No worries! We don’t mind!”

 

Who are these people? And who’s we? 

 

Well, whatever… She's not wrong. I don’t really mind. 

 

“...”

 

Observing their interaction, I thought about how Rebecca was quick to act … Leave her alone for a moment and she already built a new connection. What a terrifying ability.

 

“Maybe we can ask the others?” the ginger girl suggested, giving a sidelong glance at the other people around the table.

 

Following her, I observed the remaining people on the table, they were quietly minding their own business and seemed avoidant in interacting.

 

They don’t look like they want to, though … I said in my mind, finding it difficult to even think of approaching them.

 

Let’s leave them alone and wait.

 

“Good idea!”

 

But our dear extroverted friend seemed to find it a great idea.

 

“Yeah!” the ginger girl happily agreed.

 

Oh, no. Two extroverts together.

 

However, when both of them were about to call out … 

 

The door opened, catching our attention, and a short young girl entered; wearing an overly oversized lab coat.

 

“Uhhh, is this block A?” the little girl asked while adjusting her big round glasses with her sleeve-covered hand.

 

“...”

 

Nobody spoke, all waiting for someone to step up and answer the little girl.

 

What’s a kid doing here? And why is she wearing a lab coat? 

 

“Is she lost?” the ginger lady whispered softly. 

 

“Maybe she’s the professor?” Rebecca speculated, also whispering. 

 

Ginger lady looked doubtful and denied it with a chuckle. “That’s impossible, she looks even shorter than me!”

 

You never know …

 

“Hm? Hey, somebody answer me,” the little girl urged us after receiving no answer.

 

Seeing no one speak out, a fair-skinned, intelligent-looking woman with black hair in an intricate braid confidently spoke. “Yes, this is block A.”

 

“Ah, okay! Thank you, Miss …?”

 

“Rosenkrantz. Name is Edith Rosenkrantz.”

 

“Oh, thanks, Miss Rosenkrantz!” 

 

Hearing the casual remark of the little girl contrasting the formal tone of the braid-girl made me chuckle inwardly.

 

Smol-girl coughed in her sleeve to clear her throat and lively announced: 

 

“Anyway, ‘sup! I’ll be handling your Biochemistry Lab class!”

 

“...”

 

Everyone was dead silent. Even a drop of a pin needle can be heard if dropped at the current lake-like stillness.

 

In this awkward silence, the sun hit the room at the right angle and all four tables filled with students yet none was able to utter nor show any reaction. 

 

 But then … as if they came prepared, they all exclaimed in unison:

 

“““Eh?”””

 

Eh?

 

… Including me.

 

Checking my seatmates' reactions, I was not disappointed as they all had more or less shocked reactions—some more intense than others.

 

“Really?”

 

“Seriously?” 

 

“She looks so young!”

 

“She’s literally a kid!”

 

The previous silence was replaced by murmurs echoing all over the place. It was safe to say that everyone was shocked by the revelation. 

 

The main character for today merely donned an amused smile—probably enjoying our disbelief.

 

“Now, now. Settle down, kids.”

 

Smol Professor stepped up on the podium, sitting on a tall chair for a better point of view. 

 

“I know it’s unbelievable—you were not the first and definitely not the last. But save your shock for later, I can’t wait to perform experiments with you, students! I hope you're excited!” she cheerfully said, raising her tiny fist. 

 

It’s hard to treat her as a professor when she’s so childishly cute like this. She’s only around my stomach? Or maybe a little bit taller? I don’t know; all I know is that her cherry blossom pink bob haircut with straight bangs was not helping her case. 

 

“I’m excited!” Ginger-girl cheered out loud.

 

That made me glance at her. However, I quickly diverted my attention as my mind was occupied with something: Is the professor a child genius? 

 

But as if she read my thoughts, her next words answered my questions.

 

“Nobody asked, but I’ll still say it regardless!” she said, interrupting my thought. “I’m an adult at age 35, despite how I look! So don’t go around treating me with disrespect. Call me Professor Bridgett!”

 

“35?!”

 

“The hell I looked older than a 35-year-old?”

 

“Oh my god! Really?”

 

“That’s impossible!”

 

“Send skin routine!”

 

“That’s witchcraft!”

 

We were ‘bout to go on another round of surprise from the sudden age reveal! If she were a child genius, it would be surprising but still within imagination, but 35? A 35-year-old woman is standing in front? In that body?

 

The people on our table became slack-jawed from the unbelievable words coming out of Professor Bridgett. 

 

It feels weird to call her professor … Meh, whatever. Small, big, as long as it’s not Ms. Stacy, I’m good. With that thought, my surprise subsides and I boredly wait for everyone to get back to their senses.

 

After a while, it loses its novelty as everyone quiets down to listen. Professor Bridgett’s face turned serious and announced in a firm tone—or at least up to what her childish body could do.

 

“Listen carefully! Needless to say, you are all required to wear your lab coat inside the lab and strictly forbidden to wear it outside—anywhere that is not a laboratory! 

 

“Corresponding punishment would be administered if caught doing so. So be prepared. And another requirement from me would be wearing of protective glasses! This is important since you would be handling potent acids! 

 

“As for the other guidelines and safety precautions, simply read the poster beside the door! You’re already an adult, I expect mature behavior from all of you!”

 

Reading the guidelines near the door, it wasn’t too hard to do so. Unless you're an idiot and a troublemaker, it’s not that much of a hassle to go through. However, I must say, despite the childish first impression she gave out, she felt more of an adult now as she gave instructions and warnings. I guess her age was not a lie, after all.  

 

“Now all the boring parts are done … Let’s begin with the fun part!” she cheered, going back to her child-like self.

 

… And she’s back again. I chuckled inwardly at her fast change.

 

“Let’s skip all the boring stuff like identifying lab equipment. You know all that, no need to spoon-feed y’all overgrown kids!” Professor Bridgett said while rummaging something from her pocket. 

 

She brought it out and showed it off, lifting her arms and what we saw was a—

 

Syringe …?

 

Do we inject ourselves with met—of course not, Alex.

 

“Sh*t!” Ginger girl cursed after seeing the syringe as if her previous excitement was mere imagination.

 

Our attention was caught since she wasn’t really trying to be quiet, after all.

 

“Umm … are you okay, Ember?” Rebecca hesitantly inquired, unsure about her sudden outburst.

 

She let out a wry laugh and softly explained. “No, it’s nothing. It's just …… You see … I’m scared of needles.”

 

Hearing that, suffice to say, we’re surprised at varying degrees. Considering the nature of our chosen program, it’s a must to not be weak-hearted, especially, regarding needles. I don't know what came to her mind and why she chose this program when she’s scared of the one thing that is commonly associated with our course—however, I have to applaud her bravery to face her fear and even make it a part of her future job, that is, if we succeed in finishing this course.

 

Professor Bridgett continued. “Coincidentally, each table already has five people in it so that will be your group up to the end of this semester.”

 

Rebecca lit up at that and shook me excitedly. “Did you hear that, Kris? We’re gonna be in the same group!”

 

Yes, yes, I hear you.

 

“Ohh, nice!” Ember, the ginger lady, remarked on the side, temporarily forgetting her worries.

 

You’re still gonna get stabbed with a needle, though … Just kidding.

 

Snow just looked like she didn't even want to be here as she slumped down the table.

 

Somehow, I can relate to her feelings …

 

As for the others … well, they looked the same.

 

Professor Bridgett explained our activity for today. “Each group would pick one representative to get their blood drawn—by me, of course—keuk! So exciting!”

 

Curbing her excitement with a cough, she added. “We’re going to do an experiment with your blood to see with your own eyes the effect of isotonic, hypertonic, and hypotonic solutions!”

 

Ah, that’s just the basic stuff … Well, I’m not complaining.

 

And then began the short discussion regarding the aforementioned topics … 

 

We were given instructions on what to do and what to expect. And Professor Bridgett tasked us to provide a lab report by the end of this six-hour class regarding the said experiment. 

 

Anyway, that’s the gist of it, it’s basic stuff. We can finish this in two to three hours …

 

After jotting down all the things we needed to know and do, I looked over at my group mates. Most of them looked, all dazed and so out of it, that I can’t help but want to facepalm. Fortunately, Rebecca had some semblance of understanding in her face or else I might just go crazy since I don’t want to be a leader or anything similar to that. 

 

Rebecca spoke softly from beside me. “Kris, are you familiar with this?”

 

“Yeah, we’ve done this before.” 

 

Back in senior high, we also had lab classes so I was not completely new to these things. But, glancing at others, it seemed they were not too accustomed to it. Probably because not all of them were from science-related strands.

 

After hearing my answer, Rebecca seemed relieved. “That’s good, I get it, kind of, but I think it would be better if someone really knows what to do. Thankfully, you’re here with us, Kris!”

 

She beamed, her eyes sparkling, as she showed a radiant smile. Maintaining that, she kept on looking at me, expectation evident in her face. She didn’t speak and kept her silence, but what she wanted to say was clearly written on her face.

 

Sighing, I kind of understand that she wants me to hand out instructions and become a de facto leader of some sort.

 

However…

 

I don’t want to! I really don’t want to! It’s too much! I don’t like being bothered! And I have to talk to people? That’s the worst! 

 

While I was agonizing, Ember hesitantly asked a question that probably most of the group wanted to know. “Hey … so who will get their blood drawn?”

 

All of us, including me, turned towards her, Rebecca answered her, seeing everyone keeping their silence. “Well, Professor said only one is needed so I think we can just leave it to volunteerism?”

 

I nodded at the side. Yeah, that would be the most appropriate course of action. I wouldn’t mind having mine get drawn if it comes to a point where no one volunteered to do so. Hands on her nonexistent chest, Ember heaved a sigh of relief. Her fear of needles was evident in her reaction. 

 

Ember, braver than before, took the initiative to say: “I agree! What about you, guys?”

 

She turned to the withdrawn people on the table asking for their opinion. 

 

They timidly uttered words of agreement like ‘okay’ and ‘yeah’.

 

Upon receiving their answers, Rebecca followed with a question: “So, who wants to volunteer?”

 

“...”

 

Silence. 

 

Silence enveloped our five-man group as no one dared to break the silence.

 

No one wanted to step up, probably for varying reasons: scared of getting hurt or embarrassed to speak up, or just had plain zero interest in participating in any group activity … Hopefully, it's not that.

 

Watching the current scene, since I want to get this done as soon as possible, I was about to stand up and get my blood drawn—

 

When someone finally volunteered!

 

“I-I'll go!

 

Unexpectedly, the person least I would expect to volunteer themselves have actually done so …

 

Even Rebecca was slightly taken aback as she said stutteringly. “E-err, would that be okay, Ember?”

 

Rebecca's brows frowned in concern as we could all see her trembling and shaking even by just saying that.

 

“Th-this is n-nothing, you know!” Ember stammered, her words contrasting her actions.

 

“You don't have to force yourself. I'm fine with getting my blood drawn,” Rebecca kindly offered, concerned for Ember's current state.

 

At that, Ember abruptly firmed up, exhibiting the face of a soldier about to head out on a battlefield. “Rebecca, there are times … where you just have to man up and face your fears! I can't remain weak about this one little thing since I will encounter this more in the future! So leave this to me and watch!”

 

“Ohhh … I-I see then I will cheer you on from the back!” 

 

Rebecca seemingly moved, was swept up by her pace, giving her whole-hearted support for Ember.

 

With a firm resolve, Ember stood up and stiffly walked towards the front; her back seemed big at that moment despite her delicate stature. Rebecca gave her support to Ember continuing this comical play, while the rest of her group members just looked at this scene incredulously. 

 

I don't even know what to feel …

 

I had a bad feeling so I also stood up and followed after her. 

 

Noticing that, Rebecca asked in confusion: “Where are you going?” 

 

“In front.”

 

Rebecca realized my intention and also stood up to accompany me. I pay it no mind since one or two people would not make too much of a difference. 

 

Tap. Tap.

 

As we were walking towards the front, I belatedly noticed someone was behind us. Shifting my gaze, I saw a blue-haired woman sliding lazily behind us. Seeing me glancing behind, Rebecca followed my action and was surprised to see her from behind.

 

“Snow?”

 

Snow didn't answer immediately and opted to stare at us blankly with a lazy posture.

 

“... Don't mind … Just want to watch … some good show …” Snow answered in short and slow broken sentences as if even speaking was a laborious task for her.

 

“Ah, okay …” 

 

We continued on our way and witnessed Ember sitting down on the chair in front, waiting to get her blood drawn. 

 

Having that resolved expression, she shouted energetically.

 

“I'm ready!”

 

 

Happy New Year!

8