Chapter 18: Let’s Go Get Some Coffee? (2)
165 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eighteenth Chapter: Let’s Go Get Some Coffee? (2)

 

 

I feel irritated … 

 

I'm not sure why but looking at Kris and Ember right now made me unexpectedly irritated, choked, and tight near my chest. It was not a new experience for me, it's just I didn't expect it to be this early … It’s hard to describe it and I’ve always hated it.

 

“Congrats, Ember! You did it!”

 

Even after saying that, there was some hidden bitterness that threatened to burst out of my throat. Especially, looking at Ember getting all shy from Kris' touch.

 

Moreover, Ember, don't say such things in front of Kris! I don't want Kris to think I was flirting with someone!

 

“Let's begin.”

 

Probably, I was misunderstanding Kris' natural coldness but that voice felt, like, many layers deeper and colder than anything else I've heard before.

 

And I was kinda nervous because it was scary yet at the same time a little happy …?

 

Anyway, I was able to distract myself with other things, helping me temporarily forget this feeling. However, as the clock ticked and passed by, I found myself almost done with my work … And that feeling is starting to return slowly—creeping in similar to how the night gradually cascades over the land.

 

I don’t like it. I remarked in my mind. I don’t like this feeling nor me having these negative thoughts about my friends … 

 

Shaking my head, I thought, I have to do something! This can’t do! Poking Kris and sulking at her somehow made me feel a bit better but I need something more …!

 

“You know, I always get so nervous when crossing the streets. Like I don’t know if I’d just get hit by a car and die.”

 

That was a lie.

 

It would be dishonest of me if I said that lying was not a familiar act to me, but no matter how many times I do it, it’s still and always will burden me with a sense of guilt and unease in my chest …  

 

However … gazing at our hands tightly together, all my previous grievances and dark feelings just vanished into thin air with my head full of these pink clouds—filling me with soft and fluffy feelings. The way she squeezed it, oh-so reassuringly drummed over my heartbeat.

 

The softness and roughness of her hand, how it completely covered my hand because of how big it was compared to mine, and the warmness of it—simply made me over the moon in happiness. I’ve noticed it since the very first day, just how beautiful and big Kris’ hands are. 

 

I hope my face isn’t too red, right now …

 

Regardless, a wide and bright smile was etched on my face, contrasting my previous mood—all the more making it wider and brighter as Kris didn’t mention or say anything about our overlapping hands even after we crossed the crosswalk.

 

Maybe … she also likes it?

 

A wistful thought that’s directed at no one, hence, no one can answer. Still, having this delusional thought just sent me into a sunny and merry mood. Even the idiotic thing I did earlier was erased in my memory. Though, I still feel bitter about my carelessness …

 

I don’t often go to Rider’s so I wasn’t familiar with the road especially Britney was not with me this time …

 

Well, we still arrived so that’s that!

 

.

.

.

 

Huu … I made a wrong move … Why didn’t I ask first?! 

 

“Rebecca, I wouldn't agree to come if I hated your company.”

 

Just like the first time I met her, Kris was so patient … Even at this moment, when I should be the one placating and accommodating her, she still kindly comforted me and actually said she was having fun being with me! … Well, not exactly, but that's more or less the same …

 

And umm, please don’t say such misleading things with that voice and face … I might get delulu!

 

I really want to be Kris’ friend! I hope she also wants to!

 

Hm?

 

I can’t see my face right now but if I have to guess it turned stone all over as I saw something that may or may not ruin my day if my suspicion was correct. 

 

“Kris, what's that on your neck?”

 

Heh … so it was Lia, I’m aware that she was Kris’ childhood friend—I asked a lot of things about her, after all. Because I was genuinely curious and I think that was the first time I saw Kris become talkative … 

 

Thinking of that and peeking at that deep bite mark irked me for some reason. It’s like some sort of marking animals do to their thing or territory. Kris is not a thing, though. 

 

Oh well, it’s just things girls do to their girl friends, I shouldn’t think about it too much, I finally dismissively thought, though there were still some voices at the back of my mind that I kept trying to shut down.

 

“How generous of you,” Kris sardonically said, making me burst out laughing. 

 

This is so fun.

 

Laughing and having a playful banter like this, I felt like we were progressing in our friendship, slowly but surely.

 

We were having fun. Definitely having fun but, all of a sudden—

 

“Ah, is that you, Rebecca?”

 

Stunned, I stopped laughing. 

 

I heard a somewhat familiar voice intrude into our happy little space. Kris also paused in puzzleme—actually, she looked so self-assured that you would have thought she knew who he was but I didn’t pay it that much attention at the moment as we shifted our attention towards the person who called.

 

And after meeting his gaze, I can't help, but begrudgingly say in my mind:

 

Perhaps, I am actually cursed …

 

***

 

 

“Woah, I didn't expect we’d meet again this soon,” a man with luscious blond hair and green eyes named Taro happily remarked. 

 

Taro sat beside me, keeping a nice distance but it would be nicer if he didn't sit beside me right now!

 

Peeking at Kris' reaction, she was just looking at us with her usual sharp obsidian eyes, and a disinterested expression as always—when we're in front of other people. I concluded from yesterday that Kris became more talkative and playful when it's just the both of us. And with Taro’s presence … Kris reverted to her withdrawn and silent self. 

 

Please Taro read the room and leave!

 

That's not a nice thought to have but I would be lying if I said that I was happy to see Taro here. But staring at Taro’s clueless face … I helplessly thought, of course, he wouldn't know that. However, Taro did nothing wrong and it would be rude to ignore him.

 

Haha, I also didn't expect this was your family business …” I said with a forced smile.

 

“No one would have guessed it anyways …” he lightly chuckled at that and replied. “By the way, if I’m not mistaken, you are …?” 

 

Gesturing with his hand, he turned facing Kris, holding his words, waiting for someone or Kris herself to tell her name.

 

Catching up to that, I immediately introduced her to Taro. “Her name is Kris … And Kris, this is Taro, our fellow blockmate.”

 

Gesturing alternatively, I introduced them to each other nervously. Kris responded in her own style, showing her hands aloofly with a nod. Conversely, Taro was much more spirited, waving nicely with a polite grin.

 

“Hello!”

 

I thought with that, Taro would be satisfied and go on his way but, oh-ho, how wrong was I…

 

Seemingly not aware of my plight, Taro continued to make small talk. He was talking about trivial things like about school and stuff, while I answered perfunctorily, struggling to maintain my polite smile. 

 

Sitting in a relaxed position yet maintaining her posture and natural coolness, Kris was silently observing us. Her heavy aura blocked out any chances of trying to involve her with any of the current topics that me and Taro were chatting about and not willingly.

 

“Earlier, we didn't know what went wrong …”

 

Heh …”

 

Sipping my coffee, I was thinking about ways to excuse ourselves without looking too rude and dismissive. 

 

“Our blood, instead of reducing, actually increased in amount …!”

 

“Ohh …”

 

Observing my cup absentmindedly, an idea popped out of my mind! 

 

“So you see, we just lied in our lab report. I hope Professor Bridgett won’t notice it, haha …”

 

“Ehh …” 

 

I could use the excuse that we need to go home—using the empty coffee as the signal!

 

Immediately, I pretended to belatedly notice that my cup was empty and let out an ‘oh’ sound. Thank goodness, Taro noticed that and seemed to finally understand my cue this time! 

 

He took the initiative to end our conversation. Yay!

 

“Ah, looks like you’re finished. Are you gonna go now?”

 

Softly chuckling as if it was a shame, I replied and unintentionally sounded cheerful. “Yep, it was a nice chat but we have to go now! I hope you don’t mind.”

 

Oops, I sounded too happy there … I berated myself in my thoughts.

 

Still, I can’t stop the grin showing up on my face at this opportunity right here, so that came out more lively than intended …

 

“No worries, we have a lot of opportunities in the future,” he said, also lightly chuckling with me.

 

“Definitely!” I emphasized. “Kris …?” I softly beckoned Kris.

 

Hearing my call, Kris stood up and sized up Taro with her gaze—it was a little intimidating due to how sharp Kris’ gaze was. And then she nodded goodbye and took our cups to throw away, which Taro tried to politely tell her to not bother with that but still Kris was firm on her decision as she went to the trash … Taro could only acquiesce and smile helplessly.

 

Kris is too diligent … I thought somewhat proud at seeing Kris be like this. Yes, that’s my friend right there!

 

She came back to my side and for the last time (I heard another psh psh sound), we bid goodbye and went our way … but as if to mock me—

 

Boom!

 

After a booming sound, a sudden downpour of rain happened right in front of our faces … Blankly staring at this spectacle in front of me, I was about to curse whoever was out there to get me!

 

Okay, calm down … 

 

I barely hold myself back from spitting out curses and every single thing in the book of vulgarity, managing to maintain my image in front of Kris …!

 

Glaring at the sky, I was thinking about how sadistic it was … Giving us a day of clear skies and then throwing us this downpour as if mocking my great idea!

 

“Ehh … what do we do now?” I helplessly asked in hopes Kris had a better idea than waiting for the rain to let up.

 

I don’t want to go back but, without an umbrella, we can’t just barge in this sudden downpour!

 

“...”

 

Kris still donned her nonchalant expression, glanced at me, and brought out something from her bag. When I saw what it was—my face lit in happiness! 

 

Oh my gosh! I knew I could count on Kris!

 

Covering my mouth in surprise, I happily remarked. “Great job, Kris! Great job!”

 

Opening her black umbrella—I guess that’s expected—Kris didn’t speak but passed me the umbrella to hold.

 

“Oh? Want me to hold it? Sure!” I said, taking hold of the umbrella. 

 

I’m shorter, though … I guess it’s fine, I’m the idiot one to not bring an umbrella, after all. I thought merrily at Kris’ preparedness.

 

Seeing Kris standing still, I urged her to come. “Come on, Kris! Get under the umbrella.”

 

She didn’t answer, busy about something. I don’t know what she was trying to find but she was rummaging inside her black bag and finally pulled out … a plastic? She opened it up and covered her bag.

 

Oh, so it was a bag cover. How prepared … 

 

Comparing myself and Kris, I can’t help but see the clear difference between us … But, oh well, because of that I get to share an umbrella with Kris!

 

Back to Kris, she wasn’t done yet as she pulled out a bigger piece and unfolded it, revealing it to be—a black raincoat!

 

Oh.

 

She wore it quickly with ease and closed all the buttons. She turned to me and said. “Okay, let’s go. I’m ready.”

 

Surprised at the series of events that just happened, I belatedly asked. “W-wait, what about the umbrella?” I pointed at it, confusion written all over my face.

 

“Take it with you. Just give it back to me tomorrow,” she replied, her back towards me as she was busy unlocking her bike.

 

Flabbergasted, I just stood there in stunned silence. I didn’t expect this development at all!

 

“I was hoping to share it together …” I muttered to myself, disappointment all over my face. 

 

Kris didn’t hear that since I whispered quietly and this time I replied in a louder voice “... Okay, thank you,” I reluctantly muttered.

 

I was about to insist that we share it but then that would be idiotic since Kris already wore her raincoat, which will actually shield her better than an umbrella. So here I was, standing still in silence, disappointed at my imagination being broken in an instant. 

 

.

.

.

 

Th-though, certainly I wasn’t expecting any, of course, romantic encounters like sharing an umbrella, being gently handled, or even those situations where the lead would protect the love interest from a sudden truck passing by so she wouldn’t get wet. I wasn’t expecting it at all!  

 

“…”

 

But emotions got the better of me and I complained begrudgingly in my mind: 

 

Ahh, mou! Seriously, why did you bring a raincoat out of all things! Umbrella is fine, we can share it! I give up, I’ll go home and sulk in the corner!

 

“...”

 

I lightly stomped my feet as I walked ahead, leaving I-don’t-want-to-speak-her-name behind. 

 

Splash!

 

Distracted, I forgot that it was raining which means … my jeans were soiled by the rainwater when I stomped on the road! Staring at my now dirty pants—

 

I’m not irritated, I’m mad! I shouted in my mind, finally found the answer to conclude this convoluted mess of feelings … 

 

***

 

 

… What the hell is she doing?

 

Kris incredulously thought after witnessing this unbelievable self-sabotaging moment.

 

 

Hi, guys.

Currently, I'm writing a new novel (just had a burst of inspiration). But I don't have any plans to publish it at the moment (it's something I'm just writing for myself, hehe). If you wanna know, it's about a guy reincarnating in a modern setting of a magical world with reverse morals as a nobility. I wonder if ever I finished writing this novel—would that be something of your fancy? Let me know what you think!

Anw, hope you enjoyed the chappy!

P.S. I updated the character details and illustrations on my Patreon. Check it out if you want to!

7