Glimpse
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let's say my name is An, short form for ''Anonymous''. Don't ask 'Why', I simply feel too lazy to pronounce it that's all. I am just your average no-name girl that you might often brush past in a busy rush hour street with no proper recollection of. 

I live ...hm.. let's just call it city A. Yes. I live in city A and I am a Student. A student in the Literature Department at University X. It's a rather prestigious college I tell you ( not really). It's only an exaggeration for folks of our status who don't have enough money to last even a month. My parents sent me here in high hopes of seeing their beloved daughter graduate and see her excelling in life. *snort That's what I thought too. I still do. I don't want to think otherwise. But. But suddenly everything seems so meaningless. 

I don't come from an affluent background that I think I have any reason to brag about like the other kids. My father works day-in-day-out as a government employee. Seriously capitalism is breaking everyone's bones. Mom is a housewife who spends 24*7 laboring on household chores and taking care of everyone. My younger brother is, however, different... Unlike me He has talent.

Well; that's all about my family. 

My life is a neverending cycle of attending classes, having a bit of fun, eat lunch, then classes, grab a snack, come back to my room, have dinner, scrolling social media, again grab a snack and finally it's time for sleep. Busy day, huh. 

Today is no different. The same usual routine I am bored out of my whole damn mind. But one thing is different. On my way back while returning from my classes I suddenly felt the urge to walk into the alleyway, that on any normal day, I would have walked past without a second glance. Probably it was still early and I had some time to spare, so I decided to do some exploring.

There were rumors flying around all over the campus forum. Rumors that say during the later hours of the night if you walk beyond this said alley you will come across a fence. But don't be disheartened by that. Jump down the iron fence and you will find yourself landed at yet another alley, no, don't stop there; keep walking and you will see the dazzling lights shining upon you. Lights that are so bright it hurts. 

Putting my arm out in front of my eyes helped relieve the pain. When after some seconds I think I can finally see I look at the scene playing before me. 

It was a world that I had only ever seen in T.v. and movies. Luxurious cars and people in equally luxurious dresses swarmed the streets. No, calling it a street would be wrong. It was the most proficient entertainment district.

A place where only the Rich stepped foot.

This place is beyond my reach. Beyond the reach of anyone from our likes. 

That day I do know not what took over me or where my usual 'perfect daughter' mindset went. When I finally came to myself I was already standing below one of the classy-looking signboards.

At that time I had no idea what kind of place that was. I was filled with the anticipation of finally being able to experience the same grandeur as those of the rich.

 So in I went into the realm of spectacular opulence. My strides were mighty like a young hero out on a journey for the greater good. With money that counted probably even lesser than the sweeper working here, I strode forward sneaking in with little but much difficulty. I wasn't worried about being a girl who's first time in this place, my appearance did a good job covering for that part. Even my voice matched the requirements for looking the part as a young lad. I smoke quite a bit you know ( my parents of course don't know) so it wasn't a problem. My hair was cut short for convenience's sake. I don't like how other girls all spend tons of money buying all that haircare stuff and skin care products. I can bet I looked pretty much the lad that wandered in for an evening of gaining experience.

I already knew that it wouldn't be long before I got kicked out of here. I looked nothing that would tell I belonged here so I became quick in my steps. Avoiding the crowd and staying at the edges of the gatherings I made my way towards the bar.

*whistle

A whistle couldn't help but escape me when I saw the young handsome bartenders. They were so smoking hot. And sexy with their well-toned arms peeking out of their folded white cuffs. Immediately I rushed to grab a sit in front of a youth whom I found quite the looker. Noticing the movement he glanced towards me and asked which drink I would like. Well, that's where I got stuck. But worry not, this sister of yours is a quick thinker so without wasting a second I ordered something that appeared milder and less expensive. I think that guy must have pretty much guessed and already come up with a scenario of some young guy venturing into here to gain some experience. I was very thankful since he didn't cause me any trouble and let me lounge in that abandoned corner away from the eyes of the guards. 

Swirling the drink in my hand I turned back to absorb the scene. As far as my eyes could see all that appeared was hearty laughter and discussions which I will never understand a word of. 

Soon losing interest I turned my sights but a low moan caught me. My eyes tried hard to find its source and I found it. In an inconspicuous corner, I saw a lady, or rather I saw her fair arms grabbing the back of a man at the peak of pleasure (*that much I concluded by the way she looked reluctant to let go). It didn't take long before her snow-white shoulders were exposed as well to the view of everyone who was willing to look around themselves like myself. I decided to give the two some privacy. 

 

If you look carefully this wasn't the only couple( not sure if they were One ) that were entangled in limbs and mouth. I swear I even saw some of those queer people doing the deed in the dark. Adults sure know how to have fun eh?

I don't think I will ever get a second chance to expose myself to this sort of grand place smelling of money in my life again so I wanted to make the most out of it. Well as long as my savings can last. As I sat there immersed in my thoughts a sudden loud cough asked for attention. They were making an announcement. 

'' Ladies and Gentlemen, on this beautiful evening filled with your gracious presence I, your Host Mark with your permission welcome the Queen of the Nightlong Garden. Miss Celia Simon!! 

A round of applause for her performance will again take your breaths away! ''

Cheering and hollering filled the air with excitement. Every single one of them even the ones indulged in the pleasures of flesh stopped their progression. Surprising.

Curious I instantly made for the front, jumping down my seat. It wasn't easy to shove myself to the very front of the stage. I wasn't going to let this chance slide between my fingers. 

When everyone settled down with their spots the lights gradually started to dim until it was completely dark. We waited patiently for a few seconds with bits of murmurs and whisperings filling the air and with it came the slow rhythm catching us off-guard. One by one, dancers started to fill the stage, their costumes did nothing to hide even an inch of skin. By the looks of it maybe today's theme was set to be historical. The performance started with smooth-flowing movements like the flow of water. It looked so effortless I wondered just how hard they practiced and surely I didn't forget to marvel at that type of dedication.

The beats started to get faster with each passing second when it finally came to an abrupt stop. This performance surely was testing everyone's patience. 

A low melodious voice sounded before the person stepped onto the stage. Her voice was soft and pleasant. Enchanting us in its spell like a Nightingale in a lone night.

She was the lead dancer. Only her eyes were visible with half her face covered in a silken cloth that surely added to her beauty. The way her waist swayed, the arms, and the non-stopping thumps of her snowy feet enraptured us all. Her costume flowed along with her movements as if they had a mind of their own adding allure and beauty to the heavenly dance. 

Celia, as they had called her had her eyes closed all this while. All the other side artists seemed to have disappeared at some point in time. I was still following every move when Celia still dancing came to the front and instantly every single person went crazy. They even tried to climb onto the stage, if not for the guards you can only imagine the consequences. But all this ruckus didn't seem to interrupt her as she opened her eyes to us. There. It was at that very moment suddenly my head started to throb. I ignored it of course, to me this was an important evening that I wanted to enjoy to the fullest. I only took a while to clutch my forehead before lifting my eyes to watch her. One glimpse was when I stopped in my movements. By this time Celia had already drifted into the center but that wasn't what made me pause.

In the low light of the bar accompanied by the music I seemed to have drifted into a different space all along. Everything around me seemed to sound so faint I even forgot where I was. Looking at Celia I saw her figure overlapping with a shadow. I thought maybe it was because I had too much drink, which wasn't at all the case. The shadow then became vividly clear and I became unsure of my surroundings. That silhouette that appeared so suddenly felt as if it was drawing me near. Calling out to me. Telling me to reach out my arms and engulf them into my arms, never to let go. A soft touch between my fingers brought me back to reality sucking away the illusion around me. 

Silence filled the air when I recovered and soon my ears were filled with the low murmur of discussions, of criticism. Soon loud curses could be heard and I was jerked awake of my trance. 

Looking down at my hand I found a piece of clothing grasped between my trembling fingertips. The only thought on my mind was, 'Huh?' 

The more I observed the more bewildered I was when I found myself up on the stage kneeling like a dog tightly grasping at the dancer Celia's costume. Tears flowed from my eyes for reasons unknown. Dread instantly filled my insides and as I raised my blurry vision to look up at her she was already observing me.

There was something in the way she looked at me, something I would never find out. 

We stayed like that for a few seconds before the guards rushed in dragging me, then throwing me out like a piece of trash. I don't really recall exactly how I got kicked and beaten up. I don't remember any of that. But the one thing that I clearly remember was the face that was beneath the silken veil.

 

The very face that had haunted my dreams for the past 20 years of life. The very eyes that always held me precious, like a treasure.

 My lover from a long lost past. Celia, the nightingale...

1